Escapist News Now: KOTOR Devs Working on New Bioware IP

Pages PREV 1 2

Machine Man 1992:
Let me guess:

-The game will feature a totally customizable player avatar.
-Said avatar will be a newly minted agent of some galactic/world peacekeeping organization.
-You will be required to gather a party of unique individuals, featuring a broad range of species, genders, sexual orientation and classes.
-Party members will follow the templates of; Big Guy with a Heart of Gold, Jaded Cynic, Oversexed Fan-bait, Naive Magic Wielding Female, and The Straight Guy.
-There will be a romance subplot, featuring straight and gay options, irregardless of a character's previously established orientation, or if it even makes sense in the first place.
-You will not be able to take more than two others with you to annihilate armies.
-You will have a mentor character, possibly voiced by Keith David
-Keith Szarabijka will be in it.
-Combat and dialogue will revolve, pun intended, around use of wheel interface
-Combat will revolve around classes with specific powers
-Dialogue will be based on choosing between three or so choices that run the spectrum of nice, neutral, and dick.
-Despite marketing hype about choice and consequence, the ending will be the same for everyone.

If that is what some people like, that is what they like.

And frankly, I do.

And mostly the dialog wheel, I love it.

It saves me a ton of time. I don't have to constantly reread choices to see if I'm picking the one with the outcome I want. I don't have to do a bunch of reloading of my previous save because I chose the wrong dialogue choice for my character.

It is one of the reasons I finished Dragon Age 2 and loved it, but DA: Origins not having it is one of the reasons I only got through about 20 hours of it and stopped, because the dialogue choices were way too subtle most of the time that I had to reload on almost every conversation. I liked the story of DA:Origins, of what I experienced, but it just got tedious dealing with the mess that was the dialogue, though the hosed up combat and leveling system were also in play in my dislike of DA:O.

I know that KotOR had the same list dialogue as DA:Origins, but at least with KotOR it was worlds easier to pick out the light and dark choices.

Sonic Doctor:

Machine Man 1992:
Let me guess:

-The game will feature a totally customizable player avatar.
-Said avatar will be a newly minted agent of some galactic/world peacekeeping organization.
-You will be required to gather a party of unique individuals, featuring a broad range of species, genders, sexual orientation and classes.
-Party members will follow the templates of; Big Guy with a Heart of Gold, Jaded Cynic, Oversexed Fan-bait, Naive Magic Wielding Female, and The Straight Guy.
-There will be a romance subplot, featuring straight and gay options, irregardless of a character's previously established orientation, or if it even makes sense in the first place.
-You will not be able to take more than two others with you to annihilate armies.
-You will have a mentor character, possibly voiced by Keith David
-Keith Szarabijka will be in it.
-Combat and dialogue will revolve, pun intended, around use of wheel interface
-Combat will revolve around classes with specific powers
-Dialogue will be based on choosing between three or so choices that run the spectrum of nice, neutral, and dick.
-Despite marketing hype about choice and consequence, the ending will be the same for everyone.

If that is what some people like, that is what they like.

And frankly, I do.

And mostly the dialog wheel, I love it.

It saves me a ton of time. I don't have to constantly reread choices to see if I'm picking the one with the outcome I want. I don't have to do a bunch of reloading of my previous save because I chose the wrong dialogue choice for my character.

It is one of the reasons I finished Dragon Age 2 and loved it, but DA: Origins not having it is one of the reasons I only got through about 20 hours of it and stopped, because the dialogue choices were way too subtle most of the time that I had to reload on almost every conversation. I liked the story of DA:Origins, of what I experienced, but it just got tedious dealing with the mess that was the dialogue, though the hosed up combat and leveling system were also in play in my dislike of DA:O.

I know that KotOR had the same list dialogue as DA:Origins, but at least with KotOR it was worlds easier to pick out the light and dark choices.

A fair point. I was still burned by Mass Effect 3's autodialogue and two choice selection. Hopefully, the team working on this game have a clue on where the story's going beforehand.

I'm gonna take a whack at it, and this might be a long shot, but I'm going to say... science fiction. Yep, I know, I know! Not exactly in their purview, but I've got a feeling...

MinionJoe:

That's a sentiment that I see quite a lot, but you have to realize that BioWare only exists in name. It is no longer a company. You cannot buy stock in BioWare nor do they produce their own annual financial statements. BioWare is EA. You can't blame EA and not BioWare, because they are the same company.

I'm using the words BioWare and EA as meaning "The development team" and "The publishing company that owns them". The devs working under the name BioWare deliver good games, even their recent "misses" were still thoroughly enjoyable, they just didn't live up to expectations. The publisher that works under the name EA fucked up a lot of stuff for them, for example by implementing all kinds of dickish DLC money making schemes, store exclusivity and multiplayer where it didn't belong.

Anyone else remember how great Origin games were when they were bought by EA? How about Bullfrog? No? There's a reason for that, the same reason why there should be no question about why we haven't seen quality games from BioWare; they don't exist anymore!

You can keep using the name BioWare all you want, but as a company, as an organization, they are just one of many of EA's tentacles now. It is absurd to think that carving someone's face off and wearing it over you own make you that person... it is absurd for anyone ton think EA is BioWare because they're using BioWares's name. That company is long LONG dead.

EA Isn't BioWare. Why is that so difficult for people to comprehend?!

A3sir:
Lets be honest, if you ask someone what their favourite Bioware game is and they don't say Shadows of Amn, whether they have played it or not, they are wrong.

That's not how you spell Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic...

OT: Anyway, I'll wait till I hear something. Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 were disappointments for me overall, especially going from Origins to Dragon Age 2. Didn't even feel like the same game series. Mass Effect 3 had some great moments, the characters were as likeable as ever for me, but that first ending felt like it invalidated damn near everything I did throughout the game series. It was a really strange feeling actually. I still have hopes for Bioware though. And if not them, there is always Obsidian despite their horrible QA department.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here