Why Do We Even Care About Animal Crossing?

Pages PREV 1 2

Kapol:

kailus13:
I'm sorry Yahtzee but it's too late. I just spent the last half an hour catching bugs. There is no hope for me, save yourselves!

Pssh, only a half hour? I would spend hour-long trips on bug-catching tours of the island to farm bells. It's thanks to that that I got my house fully upgraded and paid off within two weeks. Each bug is worth ~8,000 bells. Given the total cost is 7,595,800 Bells, and you can only get 40 bugs per visit, I must have spent a full day worth of playing just to pay off my house... for some reason. I'm sure why.

I will say that the house payments are one of the glues that holds the game together. I really like my townspeople. But there's nothing much to do after you pay out your house. I have almost all the fossils, a lot of the bugs and fish I can currently get, and you can only get 1 art per week or so (if you don't fall for a fake). There's just nothing for me to really do now. And I decided I'm either going to play every single day anyways to do everything... or not play at all. Cause I don't want to see the disappointed looks on my villagers faces when I don't log in, or risk seeing my favorites leave without me knowing.

What about Public Work Projects?

Also, I have been fishing this whole time for money, I just need to do the island bug tours to get money? Sweet! I was sick of spending so much time fishing anyway!

I don't care about Animal Crossing. I find games like that incredibly frustrating. I don't even own a handheld gaming system.

I don't think Yahztee's usual three-pillar anaylsis will work for every "game". To me it's like having a critique method for fiction literature. It works really well for books where there is a story, beginning, middle and end. But you couldn't apply the same method to an illustrated book on gnomes could you. It could be a book you love but it's not in the same genre as most fiction.

You could almost argue that it's almost a different medium. Yes it's a video game but no one doubts there is a severe distinctions between things like Farmville and Animal Crossing compared to The Last of Us or Call of Duty. The appeal for the first lot is the old doll house/fort building joy you had as a child. You've made something and it's yours to do what you want with it, doesn't matter if you've done it well, or "the best", the goal is getting what YOU wanted.

Personally I can't play these types of games much any more. Management system games. If you really get into them you typically strip away the facade and start looking at the bare mathematics and mechanics of gameplay. When I reach that point it occurs to me I'm try to play a spreadsheet, and not a spreadsheet that has real numbers or rules, but one made up by some developer. It's a bit like a series of puzzles but once you have a method to solve it, it no longer holds any appeal. Like Sudoku, it's grinding numbers.

I suppose all games could be called that but the randomness of physical game play where minor adjustments and movements from me can vary the consequences wildly, then the numbers are beyond my reach. It's not work, it's like playing sport.

Thunderous Cacophony:
Just out of curiosity, do you have to take out loans? I always hear people complaining about some loan-shark (I think it's a raccoon), but a free money rock seems to solve that problem.

Also, Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmIYMFM7AQ. Maybe Animal Crossing is so addictive because it makes you a citizen.

I think you may be right - I think that is why Fallout is so addicting, that chance to try and make things better for the other characters - to in some sense partake in community as a citizen. I think that is why we are so happy to go do idiotic quests for characters.

I was born tough enough to brave the supermutants but that person was not, let me help you and be a part of your community!

Speaking of animal crossing anyone wanna come to my town :D

Anyone can come... Except you Daystar you stay the f**k out of my town. Forever enemies are we...

I've recently gotten into Don't Starve fairly heavily. Imagine animal crossing, but with permadeath, a grue, and a desperate struggle to find enough pig shit.

Its great.

"You can only arrange flowers into the shape of Levar Burton's face so many times."
Now I need a picture of that.... :P

Anyway, I suppose you like(d) Gallery of Rogues since you've now covered it twice?

TizzytheTormentor:

Also, I have been fishing this whole time for money, I just need to do the island bug tours to get money? Sweet! I was sick of spending so much time fishing anyway!

So far I have the major ones. I don't like most the generic ones, and the ones I do like I haven't gotten access to yet.

Not the island bug tours. Go to the island after... I think it's 7 or 8 PM, and some of the rarer bugs will be on the palm trees outside. It can take a while to farm them, but they're a good source of money.

Kapol:

TizzytheTormentor:

So far I have the major ones. I don't like most the generic ones, and the ones I do like I haven't gotten access to yet.

Not the island bug tours. Go to the island after... I think it's 7 or 8 PM, and some of the rarer bugs will be on the palm trees outside. It can take a while to farm them, but they're a good source of money.

Thanks for the heads up (no more fishing for me!)

Eat your heart out Fishing/Stalk Market! I can make 100'000 per trip to the island!

Which bugs in particular?

TizzytheTormentor:

Kapol:

TizzytheTormentor:

Eat your heart out Fishing/Stalk Market! I can make 100'000 per trip to the island!

Beetles that hang around on the palm trees are the big ones, in particular the Golden Stags, which are about 15k a pop.

bladeworksmaster:

TizzytheTormentor:

Kapol:

Beetles that hang around on the palm trees are the big ones, in particular the Golden Stags, which are about 15k a pop.

You quoted me at the right time! Just got back form another trip (bloody Re-Tail is closed) and I suspect I will have made a killing! Loving this!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here