Ubisoft Apologizes for DRM Server Switch Screwup

Pages PREV 1 2

Oh, Ubisoft... will the funnies ever end? :D

this is exactly the reason that I haven't played the retail copy of any PC game since Spore... aside from Steam, of course, because they actually respect their consumers and provide a service BETTER than the pirate copies. Any game not on Steam, I pay for the game, then pirate the DRM free version. I'm not doing anything illegal; I'm only playing games I hold the rights to play. I just choose to play the superior, more stable, better optimized version.

Remember Publishers: Consumers are like putty: you can mold them into doing what you want through carefully applied pressure, but the harder you squeeze, the more will slip through your fingers.

I can't wait to see how quick Diablo3 gets cracked.

Twilight_guy:
The Escapist, not an advocate of piracy, except when its implied in its own articles that piracy is acceptable. (Seriously, let's be a bit more discreet with opinions that contradict official stances).

Dont think its as much advocating Piracy as pointing out a Fact. Advocating would be basicly anyone telling the rest of the Community "Go pirate this Game" or something of the sort.

I mean by now, everyone with a couple Braincells to rub together knows that the always-on DRM is one of the worst kinds of DRM in existence, so of course Games unaffected by it, mainly due to a Crack, which can be applied to a pirated OR legal Copy, well they are superior on the fact that they sidestep it, course most Games dont get all the features for it, like no Multiplayer or some other weird stuff thats in the Game.

OT:I kinda wish we would go back to CD-Keys and the like, i mean it has worked, granted not perfectly but when the always-on DRM and such gets cracked too, whats the point of having the fancy new high-tech hardware to prevent it thats about as effective as putting in a 16 digit Code 10 years ago? Dont even get me started on how shitty ME2 was with that weird Method they had for authorizing my DLCs that were tied to my Account and paid for and it threw a hissy fit because apparently it doesnt like the way i connect to the bloody Internet. So this happening? You know, i think alot of People saw this coming. Hell when in say another 5 Years the servers get taken offline for good, and you cant play all those old Games anymore? Yeah..thats gonna be fun.

ResonanceGames:
I'm glad Ubisoft's games are so unappealing. It makes not buying them a lot easier.

No kidding.

The ridiculousness of this all would be upsetting to me instead of just an outrageous, eye-roll-worthy news moment if they made a single game that seemed worth buying.

A-D.:

OT:I kinda wish we would go back to CD-Keys and the like, i mean it has worked, granted not perfectly but when the always-on DRM and such gets cracked too, whats the point of having the fancy new high-tech hardware to prevent it thats about as effective as putting in a 16 digit Code 10 years ago? Dont even get me started on how shitty ME2 was with that weird Method they had for authorizing my DLCs that were tied to my Account and paid for and it threw a hissy fit because apparently it doesnt like the way i connect to the bloody Internet. So this happening? You know, i think alot of People saw this coming. Hell when in say another 5 Years the servers get taken offline for good, and you cant play all those old Games anymore? Yeah..thats gonna be fun.

CD Keys aren't good for consumers either.

There was a big mess in the news recently where TOR launched without the needed keys in many collectors editions. They were apparently misplaced in packaging or something.

Personally, I spent two days trying to find workarounds to the fact that the TWO copies of Neverwinter Nights 2 I bought for my partner and I each came with improper CD keys. One turned out to have the keys improperly listed out of order, and a series of switching them around (with an uninstall/reinstall/reboot required each time, thanks to the DRM) before I found the right order.

CD keys are just another pain in the rear for consumers at best.

Everyone involved deserves what they get. Idiot customers who went and bought the games deserved to be locked out, and maybe it will teach them a lesson, and Ubisoft deserves every bit of bad press. If anyone didn't see this coming again they are beyond help.

lacktheknack:

Kalezian:
Ubisoft is quickly becoming the main point-to on how DRM only hurts paying customers.

I'm sure that by "quickly becoming", you meant "reinforcing the the status they earned a couple years ago that"?

I bet that about 15% of the pirated copies of the game floating around are held by people who paid for the game and just sidestepped the DRM.

true, but I meant it in a sense of a one-word descriptor, much like Daikatana was for the longest time for bad games.

Also, their DRM is one of the reasons I have yet to get Anno 2070, the other being that upgrading your computer activates yet another DRM system.

Kalezian:

lacktheknack:

Kalezian:
Ubisoft is quickly becoming the main point-to on how DRM only hurts paying customers.

I'm sure that by "quickly becoming", you meant "reinforcing the the status they earned a couple years ago that"?

I bet that about 15% of the pirated copies of the game floating around are held by people who paid for the game and just sidestepped the DRM.

true, but I meant it in a sense of a one-word descriptor, much like Daikatana was for the longest time for bad games.

Also, their DRM is one of the reasons I have yet to get Anno 2070, the other being that upgrading your computer activates yet another DRM system.

Thats why you buy it then get a crack for it! Problem solved! And perfectly legal to boot.

Gotta love it when pirates release a patch to make the game work better than the developers released huh?

Oh and apparently a new powersupply also trips the DRM check, because I just had to use my third activation to replace a faulty power supply. Seriously, fuck Ubisoft

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here