Rumor: Bethesda Claims S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Rights

Pages PREV 1 2

STALKER had enough glitches without Bethesda getting their "release it now and fix it if enough people whine about it" hands on the franchise.

Andy Chalk:

None of this is to say that Bethesda is currently working on a new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game, and the more cynical-minded folk out there might suggest that the company picked up the game rights simply to eliminate a Fallout competitor. But that's an unlikely proposition; the two games are only superficially similar, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R., despite its genius, has nowhere near enough of an audience to pose a threat to Fallout.

When I read the title I figured this is what they planned on doing. Burying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. before it could become peoples go-to alternative from Fallout. I don't particularly care, I prefer Fallout but eliminating competition is generally a bad thing, since it leads to stagnation. Ultimately I don't care what Bethesda does as long as Fallout 4 is made and is great. If they mess that up...oh boy, Todd Howard can look forward to one hell of a knife fight.*

*The previously mentioned knife fight is for the sake of sarcasm, the author of which in no way plans on knife fighting anyone at Bethesda Game Studios if a title fails to live up to previous expectations.*

*Sadly, I actually feel like I needed to clarify that now. The internet is so srs bsns.

Ragsnstitches:
Whelp... we wouldn't have seen another Stalker anyway, with GSC going under.

I'm curious as to what the implication of Bethesda NOT owning the brand of Stalker are. Does this mean they can't expand on the existing universe?

I guess it means they can't publish any new books or the planned TV-show. At the moment it seems like it's just the game rights and not the franchise that is "lost", so who knows what kind of legal trouble this may get Bethesda into at a later stage. There's bound to be some problems arising sooner or later because Bethesda published material that isn't part of the game and that breaches some contract, and suddenly it's all Bethesda vs. Interplay 2: GSC Strikes Back.

I don't know what to say.

As long as they keep the feel of STALKER with the whole "Zone lives without you" thing rather than "The whole world revolves around you" idea then i'll be happy

But hell who am I kidding why would a company keep the practice of another?

Sergey Galyonkin started out as a journalist and is is a long-time Russian/Ukrainian game development industry insider. He is a very reliable person and I would usually take his word over official representatives'.

If this is rumour true I challenge Bethesda to make an ending like that. Because in all of their games I have never been punished for having amassed a large amount of wealth.

Other than that I am really looking forward to see what they would do with this game. Really I think the main thing they may struggle to grasp is that the atmosphere of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. world.

God, freaking dammnit,why are you doing this to me???!!!!!Bethesda don't know how to make anything but TeS games.They tarnished the reputation of Fallout with their craptastic game engine and horrible writting(thank god for Chris A. and Obsidian for salvaging the situation)and now they are gonna' ruin another post-apocalyptic setting.Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!!?!?!?!?!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here