Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

thethird0611:

Carnagath:
Snip

A great change for the industry is coming. Its called PC gamers now see why you dont petition a developer who explicitly states, 'Hey, we suck at PC ports', and hope for freaking Crysis on their computer.

Oh my, you get EXACTLY the same as console gamers, as well as FREE, let me say again, -FREE- content that consoles have to pay for.

Man, they suck so much. Its all their fault and they should tank so every developer knows not to listen to the PC crowd about porting console games.

To everyone else, I support porting, but I mean cmon, if you dont support this developer, alot of developers wont bother. From Software seriously took a chance because of the PC petition, and im glad about that.

Your post is devoid of meaning and full of unnecessary exaggeration. Asking for a port that isn't capped at 30 FPS and where you can actually change the resolution is not "asking for Crysis". Also, "free" DLC (which serves as a promotional incentive for the game's release and seeks to draw in mainly people who have already played the game) does not make a bad port suddenly good. And yes, every developer should know that PC gamers have certain expectations out of a full-price game, such as for it to support some customization that allows you to utilize your hardware to a degree. If you fail to satisfy those expectations, then people will not pay full price for your game. It's pretty simple really.

Rabid Toilet:
This whole Dark Souls port thing is being blown way out of proportion.

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.

Indeed.

I don't want to toss around the term ungrateful, but...

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

I don't see the issue here.

Daystar Clarion:

Rabid Toilet:

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.

Indeed.

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

Ungrateful? At least you didn't say ..entitled. *GASP*

Yeah, pretty much the same as what you guys said. I enjoyed the game on the console so if it's basically the same thing but on PC I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to enjoy it.

Maybe this experience will help them improve any future ports they make.

Carnagath:

thethird0611:

Carnagath:
Snip

A great change for the industry is coming. Its called PC gamers now see why you dont petition a developer who explicitly states, 'Hey, we suck at PC ports', and hope for freaking Crysis on their computer.

Oh my, you get EXACTLY the same as console gamers, as well as FREE, let me say again, -FREE- content that consoles have to pay for.

Man, they suck so much. Its all their fault and they should tank so every developer knows not to listen to the PC crowd about porting console games.

To everyone else, I support porting, but I mean cmon, if you dont support this developer, alot of developers wont bother. From Software seriously took a chance because of the PC petition, and im glad about that.

Your post is devoid of meaning and full of unnecessary exaggeration. Asking for a port that isn't capped at 30 FPS and where you can actually change the resolution is not "asking for Crysis". Also, "free" DLC (which serves as a promotional incentive for the game's release and seeks to draw in mainly people who have already played the game) does not make a bad port suddenly good. And yes, every developer should know that PC gamers have certain expectations out of a full-price game, such as for it to support some customization that allows you to utilize your hardware to a degree. If you fail to satisfy those expectations, then people will not pay full price for your game. It's pretty simple really.

Wow, so I dont know why I keep talking, probably because you started your rebuttal with "What you said is useless because im so much better than you".

No, you sir, are full of exaggeration and elitism. You think that you deserve something better just because you can. You dont take into account that the developer specifically said they are not good at ports.

You are saying this game is crap just because its the SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME game as the console version. PLUS, it has FREE content, ability to MOD, and 20 dollars LESS than when we first got it.

No, you have a false sense of entitlement (im sure this is apply-able here) just because you play on a PC. The world of gaming does not revolve around the PC area, and just because you cant have EVERYTHING you want from a freaking AWESOME game, then you decide "Oh, I want this developer to tank because they went OUT OF THEIR WAY for PC gamers in the first place.

Yeah, exaggerated my ass.

Hmm it would not be too bad if you could set the resolution. Dont forget kids you can override a games defaults by creating a profile in the nvidia control panel. Not sure what you stinkin reds do but i am sure that AMD/ATI would have something the same.

I can also just get it on steam and you know have it work rather than having to install the game to a slow ass hardrive and then update my firmware, i also dont have to fat finger in a huge code with a controller

I think i know who wins

Evilsanta:
Wow, After reading some of the comments here I am ashammed to call my self a PC gamer.

You are getting the same freaking game plus new added content for FREE. I can't count how many times I replayed Dark Souls on my PS3 and still enjoy the hell out of it despite some of it flaws. Like the framedrop rate in Blighttown, Fuck that place. So it won't run perfectly fine in 1900x1200 resolution or higher the 30 fps, So what? It is still a great game.

And here I thought the whole PC gamer elitist was a exaggeration or what the "extreme" ones where called. But apperently not.

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts.
Dark Souls looks damned good as is.
It may not have top of the line textures and resolutions, but the area design is awesome. I'll remember arriving for the first time in Ash Lake long after I've forgotten whatever environments the last Crysis game had.

I mean really - as someone who has a heavy duty gaming rig, I'm really not too concerned. 60 FPS is nice to have, but 30 FPS doesn't ruin a game. Top of the end graphics are nice too, but they don't make the game.

I mean are people seriously whining that the only improvement is they're getting is a substantial chunk of extra content for free?

Oh well I'm definitely planning on picking it up. The Souls series is one of my favorites, and I definitely want to support it as much as I can - and even better everything I've heard about the new stuff sounds awesome - it will be interesting to see how it answers some of our lore questions about the game. I'm already trying to figure out how to put together a good Artorias build in honor of the new stuff.

Can't wait for it!

I, frankly, do see this as a problem. Time for a bunch of random thoughts.

1) The DLC is not "free". I have to pay $40 for the game (some stores in Canada are even selling it for $60 for some reason). This is not free. When you re-buy a game's GOTY edition with all the DLC do you claim you're getting all the DLC for free? No, because you aren't. It's also worth noting you can get the console version brand-spankin' new for $20 around my parts.

2) PC games have certain sets of features that are just flat-line basic in every single game. Rebindable controls, framerates that match the system's monitor and a set of graphics options that at least let you set the screen resolution. Isn't it a bit embarrassing that the fucking Quake engine from 1996 can run at virtually any resolution without any modification to the source code, and From can't uncap their framerate? I could boot up quake and put it in 1920x1080 just fine, and it would run in sync with my 120hz monitor as well.

3) They should honestly just release the game as it is with some debugging tools and just let the community fix all the issues. We're going to try to do it anyways, you may as well just make it easier.

4) Personally, I already own the PS3 version. I don't want that version again. Honestly, I had to stop playing in Blighttown. Props to whoever powered through that, but the game was essentially unplayable to me at that point. My criteria for buying this was a full 1080p game (though the textures can still be standard resolution, that's fine) with a framerate that was uncapped. I was fine playing with a controller, I was fine with no graphics options, I was fine if the game said "press start" at the beginning. These are just two things they needed to do (unlocked framerate and 1080p resolution) but they couldn't even manage that.

Eh as long as it's not a buggy mess I'll still buy it.

I mean lately I've been playing through the BIT.TRIP games and have been having a great time. Great graphics are certainly nice, but not necessary.

Supernova1138:
Hell, we might even have a contender for a worse port than GTA IV here.

...and Saints Row 2 was what, exactly?

Ickorus:

Daystar Clarion:

Rabid Toilet:

Indeed.

Yeah, pretty much the same as what you guys said. I enjoyed the game on the console so if it's basically the same thing but on PC I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to enjoy it.

No after this they're probably just not going to make any ports no matter how hard you petition, good job pc gamers, having the same game just isn't enough for you.

thethird0611:
entitlement

...and that instantly ends the conversation right here.

The Plunk:
"Oh no, 30 fps! Whatever will we doooooooooooooooooooooo?!"

The game was perfectly playable on consoles.
The game will be the same, if not slightly better, on PC.
Therefore it will be perfectly playable on PC.

That was my first reaction. PC gamers get the same game at a lower price (okay, this might depend on what the console version is doing where you live) with more content. Sure, PC gamers get it a lot later than consoles, but personally I'd be glad I'd get the game at all, what with From Software being a console developer. Rejoice! Enjoy the glory of Dark Souls!

Though I still prefer Demon's Souls. Shhhhh!

Zaik:
I want to be irritated, but they've at least been completely honest about not having a fucking clue how to port to PC before they sold it.

I'm not really interested in it as is, maybe once it drops down in the $5 range and/or some modders that know how them newfangled personal computers work fix it up(and maybe as an added bonus rip all the GFWL garbage out of it like was made available for Fallout 3).

this, but i think i'll shell out for it to show them some support, they've been honest and have at least tried, and they actually LISTENED to the petitions and support rather than toss it to the side like most dev/pubs do, so for that, they might have earned a sale out of me (plus i like in depth rpg's like this, so if it plays like it does on the console, i'm sure i'll be at least satisfied)

Siegreich:

Ickorus:

Daystar Clarion:

Indeed.

No after this they're probably just not going to make any ports no matter how hard you petition, good job pc gamers, having the same game just isn't enough for you.

I personally think it's a very vocal minority that are kicking up a fuss about it so me being the optimist that I am have high hopes that From Software will port future games, I mean, all they need to do is make a reasonable profit on the port and they'll have the incentive to do the same with future games.

Wow the amount of anti-consumerism never ceases to amaze me here on the escapist. The locking to 30 fps and that the bugs and framedrops aren't fixed is applauded here just wow.

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?

let me tell you about the order of modders....

Wow... that's are really clear way to say "Don't buy our game."

Well, thanks for telling me that because I was thinking of pre-ordering it over Steam.

Siegreich:

Yeah, you're completely right.
Who gives me the right not to buy a game that is broken from the start. I'm really entitled for thinking that the product I bought should work.

Daystar Clarion:
You guys wanted Dark Souls, you're getting it, warts and all.

The game isn't going to be worse on PC, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version, the version you petitioned so hard to get.

And you get free DLC.

Pretty much this.
I don't know why anyone is surprised by news like this. They weren't even going to port it to PC to begin with, it took a petition to make that happen. So now you are getting the exact same game you wanted, not Dark Souls on steroids. Though I'm sure modders will somehow figure out a way to fix some of the problems the port is going to have. either way, despite it's flaws (even zomg Blighttown), it was still a solid gaming experience. If you want to let a little lag ruin that, that's your problem.

Honestly, I can live without having the graphical settings set at 1080p, it's fine though I'm not the biggest fan of it.

What I don't like is the fact that it's capped at 30 fps and has basically one of the most barebones options menus that I've ever seen. The whole thing just feels like image. If I do end up getting it, I'll probably be tearing into it's .ini files before too long as the lack of rebindable keys will probably end up driving me mad.

Karloff:
Weeeell ... hard luck, PC gamers.

Weeeell....... hard luck From Software.

It looks like you won't be getting my money.

PS: The amount of ignorance displayed by a lot of people in this thread is astounding.

BiH-Kira:

Well, thanks for telling me that because I was thinking of pre-ordering it over Steam.

Siegreich:

Who gives me the right not to buy a game that is broken from the start. I'm really entitled for thinking that the product I bought should work.

It's not broken. It is playable on consoles, so it will be playable on PC.

It's people like you that give credit to the stereotype of entitled, whining, elitist PC gamers.

All the drama. We all knew it was going to come with problem. Smooth experience at 30 FPS is a massive step up from the consoles. I mean absolutely MASSIVE. But, as soon as the PC base gets their hands on it, I expect certain other Problems to fade away, such as the frame rate cap. Still can't wait!

I do have to say, this article (more-so Eurogamer) is inflammatory in nature. No one was under the impression they were putting higher quality textures on the game as they said from day 1 that they would not be. I'm just glad to hear my PC will make it smooth. 30 FPS is noticeable, but 30, then 10, then 30 again really really noticeable.

The Plunk:

BiH-Kira:

Siegreich:

It's people like you that give credit to the stereotype of entitled, whining, elitist PC gamers.

The problem is that it IS broken.

If I bought Ferrari, I would expect from it to go faster than 40km/h.
Same as buying a game. I would expect from it to work as fast as it can on my PC. I didn't invest in my PC so that I can play shity ports.

They made millions of the game and they couldn't hire someone to do the port? And how am I whiny? Or entitled?
I didn't rage, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone. I just said that I won't buy it and explained (briefly) why.

The problem isn't in me, but in people like you. People who gladly give up their consumer rights and attack anyone who doesn't want to give 50 euro for a pile of shit.
Yes, it's a pile of shit. A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 (if you're lucky) FPS...

I never asked for extra content, that by the way isn't free. The only thing I want from a port is to use my PC right. I want to be able to change my controls, to change my resolution and the most important part is, I don't want to play a Power Point slideshow.

If not buying something that I don't think is worth my money makes me entitled or whiny, well fuck. I'm entitled and whiny. If wanting a game to run smooth on my PC makes me a elitist, well, I'm an elitist.

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it. And I sure as hell won't give up on my consumer rights.

BiH-Kira:

Same as buying a game. I would expect from it to work as fast as it can on my PC. I didn't invest in my PC so that I can play shity ports.

They made millions of the game and they couldn't hire someone to do the port? And how am I whiny? Or entitled?
I didn't rage, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone.

The problem isn't in me, but in people like you. People who gladly give up their consumer rights and attack anyone who doesn't want to give 50 euro for a pile of shit.
Yes, it's a pile of shit. A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 FPS...

I never asked for extra content, that by the way isn't free. The only thing I want from a port is to use my PC right. I want to be able to change my controls, to change my resolution and the most important part is, I don't want to play a Power Point slideshow.

If not buying something that I don't think is worth my money makes me entitled or whiny, well fuck. I'm entitled and whiny. If wanting a game to run smooth on my PC makes me a elitist, well, I'm an elitist.

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it.

The difference is that a Ferrari costs much, much more than your average car, while this game does not cost any more than your average game.

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?

Its very existence carried with it the taint of the inferior console, so it was doubtful from the beginning.

BiH-Kira:

The Plunk:

BiH-Kira:

But you, my friend, are a brainwashed consumer. I could say "thank you" for a bad gift (even tho I don't understand how someone could say it's a gift), but I sure as hell won't pay 50 euro for it.

Wrong analogy is wrong.

It's more like this.

Console gamers got exclusive access to a Ford GT.

PC gamers went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car, we want it too!'

So you got the car.

'What? This isn't a Ferrari! This is a Ford GT!'

'You asked for a Ford GT'

'Well duh! But I wanted a better one!'

The Plunk:

BiH-Kira:

The difference is that a Ferrari costs much, much more than your average car, while this game does not cost any more than your average game.

But the average game runs on 1920x1080 60+ FPS on my PC, while this won't.
So every car in the analogy is a Ferrari. It's just that that one doesn't work as it should.

Daystar Clarion:
Wrong analogy is wrong.

It's more like this.

Console gamers got exclusive access to a Ford GT.

PC gamers went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car, we want it too!'

So you got the car.

'What? This isn't a Ferrari! This is a Ford GT!'

'You asked for a Ford GT'

'Well duh! But I wanted a better one!'

Nope.

PC gamer went 'Hey, that's a pretty good car. We want one too, but just fix all the stuff that was broken on the first version.'

And we got a car that had nothing fixed on it.

When we ask for a port, we ask for a optimized port with know bugs fixed.

Guy on page one explained it:

Carnagath:
A classic case of "miscommunication", isn't it... When people asked for this game on the PC, they actually meant that they wanted a proper PC port, not a half-assed copy paste cash grab.

BiH-Kira:

So every car in the analogy is a Ferrari. It's just that that one doesn't work as it should.

The average PC game, maybe. But you're not getting a PC game, you're getting a port of a Console game.

Carnagath:

thethird0611:
entitlement

...and that instantly ends the conversation right here.

Actually, it does, because you do have a FASLE SENSE of entitlement. Just because of bunch of idiots threw it around, doesnt make it any less valid.

...that instantly destroys your whole argument right there.

Buretsu:

BiH-Kira:

The average PC game, maybe. But you're not getting a PC game, you're getting a port of a Console game.

Dude, this is just pathetic now. Did you seriously wrote that or did you try to make a bad joke? Practically every game is a console port now.
Crysis 2 - console port
CoD - console port
Assassin's Creed - console port
Skyrim - console port (!!!)
Oblivion - console port (!!!)
The list could go on.
They were designed for consoles and later on ported to the PC.

All those games had at least changeable resolution and didn't have a FPS limit. Crysis had even a special patch for the PC version.
You know why? They had people who actually know how to port do the porting.

danon:
Wow the amount of anti-consumerism never ceases to amaze me here on the escapist. The locking to 30 fps and that the bugs and framedrops aren't fixed is applauded here just wow.

You're confused. There is nothing more anti-consumer than not letting people decided what is and is not OK with them. I'm not defending people who are attacking other people for not being interested, to avoid confusion. If you ever played the console version, you know these are actually massive improvements over it. Also, it said the frame rate drops were much better, so I'm guessing that you never played it.

From Eurogamer:

The implication of a PC release is obviously that all these problems can be tackled by the brute force of a faster CPU, and though there are very light hitches here and there, it's a relief to say Blight Town now plays without all the constant chugging. The improvement is staggering to those that endured the treacle-like pace of the area on PS3 and 360, already making this version a winning proposition.

Also:

Due to the smoother, if limited, frame-rate, the PC version is also looking to be the definitive way to play the game, especially for those planning to jump in for the first time on August 24th.

It honestly sounds to me that the PC version is far superior to the game that I played for 130 hours on my PS3.

i'm not seeing a huge problem here. i just want the game to work, on the platform i primarily play. if they can do that, i'm happy

This game just got marked with SHITTY PORT seal and it will lose more sells than it should. These is no excuse for these flaws even when developers said that they dont have much experience with porting, little extra time would spent on it would be enought. Probably I will buy this game eventually but at the moment my wallet is empty because of summer sale.

Screw it, I'm still getting the game once I get some cash together. Thank the gaming gods I'm not a graphics whore. Not that there's anything too wrong with that.

Yeah played past ornstein and smough on xbox 360 so yeah. The thing is at that price for a game that has been out for a while it is kind of unacceptable.

The main reason i am still going to buy it now is to encourage more ports to pc. If this type of cash-grab happens again it will be a no-buy from me. And yes i expect my pc to outperform my xbox-360 because it's much more powerful. It seems i'm pretty alone in this sentiment strangely enough

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here