Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

MetalMagpie:
It's just one skill tree on one character that's geared towards requiring less skill. So calling that skill tree "Casual Mode" would be a) boring and b) a bit insulting to anyone who uses it!

"What should I refer to this skill tree as in an interview... Hm. Well, it requires less skill, so pretty much anyone can play it- Girlfriend Mode! 'Cause subconsciously I think women are bad at video games. No one will mind, right?"

Vault101:
so I couldnt choose this charachter if I wanted play "non-derp" mode?

Cognimancer:
Best Friends Forever is currently the Mechromancer's only finished tree, but Hemingway mentioned that he would like to try using another of her trees as a counterpoint to the casual aspects of BFF. "Right now, I'm thinking of it as a hardcore mode. So if you are a really expert player, and you want to do some tricky, difficult things, this is the tree for you, for just a totally different experience. We're not ready to talk about it, because we have no idea if it's even going to pan out. But we've got some interesting ideas there."

You're welcome.

Cognimancer:
"I want to make, for the lack of a better term, the girlfriend skill tree."

Boudica:
I plan to send a clear message that what he said (casual sexism) isn't alright and I'll do that by not giving them any money.

Oh, get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself. Making a reference to the cliché of a gaming guy struggling to get his girlfriend into gaming is not "casual sexism". But, if it makes you happy, let me redress the cosmic balance.

*clears throat*

I propose a toilet that automatically puts the seat down after the user exits the room. I call it, for lack of a better term, the "boyfriend model".

Anyone want to be offended by that?

Vault101:
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnip

Nothing makes people rethink their words quite like their boss publicly chewing their ass out and their game losing sales. Don't let it slide now and no one in that position will say anything like it again.

"I wanted to make a skill tree that specializes in thievery and stealing items. For lack of a better term, the Black Guy tree."

If that's what he said, very few people would be alright with shrugging it off. Casually referencing a stereotype is destructive. So, just as they consider that impossible to ignore, so do I this. I won't be a part of publicly sending the message that it's any form of okay to feed into the trope.

MetalMagpie:

I propose a toilet that automatically puts the seat down after the user exits the room. I call it, for lack of a better term, the "boyfriend model".

Anyone want to be offended by that?

I am going to out you on my ignore list for that

but before I do that I'm going to go through your freinds list and ignore those people too since I wont stand anyone who's frends with a misandrist

but BEFORE that I;m going to find out what your favorite games/drinks/foods are because I will NOT like that same things as a misandrist

BUT BEFORE that I've got to check what country you live in because I cannot live in a country that allows people like you to live in it

BUT BEFORE THAT I have to check your birthday and month you wre born because I cannot stand to have the same star sign...so I much change my name birth date and skip the country

then I'll put you on ignore

MetalMagpie:
Oh, get off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself.

You can't expect anyone to give you their time if you're going to act so immature. What's the point in even pretending to want discussion when you make your aggression clear from the start? You may as well open your comment with "You're wrong and I'm never going to agree with you" for all the good it does.

You'll find addressing the topic and not the individual works better for productive debate.

Boudica:

Vault101:

Nothing makes people rethink their words quite like their boss publicly chewing their ass out and their game losing sales. Don't let it slide now and no one in that position will say anything like it again.

"I wanted to make a skill tree that specializes in thievery and stealing items. For lack of a better term, the Black Guy tree."

If that's what he said, very few people would be alright with shrugging it off. Casually referencing a stereotype is destructive. So, just as they consider that impossible to ignore, so do I this. I won't be a part of publicly sending the message that it's any form of okay to feed into the trope.

if the guy said that I would fully expect him to be harshly reprimaded (mabye even fired) and I would still buy the fucking game

its a PR issue...people say stupid shit all the time in gaming PR

Boudica:

Vault101:

Erm, the black guy stereotype thing is a much more destructive stereotype so as such I'd expect a harsher response to it. The girls are bad at video games one really doesn't rate on the same scale so doesn't need the same level of outrage thrown at it. Obviously both are bad, but I think it doesn't make much sense to expect a similar reaction.

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

You can't expect anyone to give you their time if you're going to act so immature. What's the point in even pretending to want discussion when you make your aggression clear from the start? You may as well open your comment with "You're wrong and I'm never going to agree with you" for all the good it does.

You'll find addressing the topic and not the individual works better for productive debate.

you can't go around getting offended over ever single little thing, what he said I actually think fits perfectly...In fact let me try

"that hoarse is so high you could buy a parachouce and try base-jumping" *bud-um-tsh!*

look, I get my feminist on now and again, but THIS? this is petty, this helps nothing, sure, I get so mad and angy at some of the bullshit people pull in regards to thease issues, but somtimes you just have to have thicker skin and know when somthing is worth your energy

Mortai Gravesend:

Boudica:

Vault101:

Erm, the black guy stereotype thing is a much more destructive stereotype so as such I'd expect a harsher response to it. The girls are bad at video games one really doesn't rate on the same scale so doesn't need the same level of outrage thrown at it. Obviously both are bad, but I think it doesn't make much sense to expect a similar reaction.

I think they are equally destructive, but in very different ways. One implies African Americans are all criminals and this obviously just feeds into the culture that keeps black people largely confined to the lower classes and thus more likely to commit crime, as poverty is the leading cause of crime. It's a damn tragic self-fulfilling prophecy. The other implies women are ditzes that can't manage to play a video game without their big, strong boyfriend to help. This is why there are so few women in game design. This is why there are so few women in IT. This is why so few women feel welcome in the gaming community.

Alright, now that I've written it out I've got to agree with you, the African American stereotype is a lot worse. But I feel the (ugh) "girl gamers suck" stereotype is a lot more harmful than people recognize. The industry on a whole is very unwelcoming to women.

My incompetent self appreciates this. I'm deadly with all weapons you don't have to aim.

I tend to be stuck as the medic

Vault101:
look, I get my feminist on now and again, but THIS? this is petty

Thinking about it, that's everything that's needed to be said about this "controversy".
(Especially since it was kind of resolved before most media, including this one, even reacted)

Boudica:
The other implies women are ditzes that can't manage to play a video game without their big, strong boyfriend to help. This is why there are so few women in game design. This is why there are so few women in IT. This is why so few women feel welcome in the gaming community.

OR it implies that Girlfriends of Borderlands 2 Players need help getting through the game.

Wich surely is a problematic and often wrong implication, but reading this statement as an insult to the intelligence of women?
That is...well, paranoid.

Vault101:
I get so mad and angy at some of the bullshit people pull in regards to thease issues, but somtimes you just have to have thicker skin and know when somthing is worth your energy

If you don't think this topic is of importance (or enough importance) to warrant you caring to any large degree, you can do that. I'm not arguing to force you to care or to "join my side."

I think we should stop the debate there, as it's simply a case now of us repeating our standpoints to a party that won't budge. We won't gain anything from going back and forth anymore and I'd rather us both exist on neutral terms than anyone get angry or frustrated.

If you want to talk, I'll answer questions and share thoughts, etc. But simply continuing on this path, I'm gonna bail out on. :)

Boudica:

Mortai Gravesend:

Boudica:

I think they are equally destructive, but in very different ways. One implies African Americans are all criminals and this obviously just feeds into the culture that keeps black people largely confined to the lower classes and thus more likely to commit crime, as poverty is the leading cause of crime. It's a damn tragic self-fulfilling prophecy. The other implies women are ditzes that can't manage to play a video game without their big, strong boyfriend to help. This is why there are so few women in game design. This is why there are so few women in IT. This is why so few women feel welcome in the gaming community.

Alright, now that I've written it out I've got to agree with you, the African American stereotype is a lot worse. But I feel the (ugh) "girl gamers suck" stereotype is a lot more harmful than people recognize. The industry on a whole is very unwelcoming to women.

Oh I definitely agree that it's a nasty stereotype and people brush it off too often, but while one of them clearly made a mistake there, it's not like it's something endorsed by the company. I mean they could fire him, but I don't think his comment was of *that* magnitude.

So he referred to a mode that has some kind of aim assist for people that don't play games much as "girlfriend mode" and that makes him a misogynist? Whats so bad so bad about that? He might have easily referred to it as "Dad mode" or "Mum mode" or "non gamer relative mode".

Its obvious he meant it in the context of having a girlfriend that doesn't really play games wanting to join in a co-op game.

But no that's not acceptable, because the touchy internet doesn't see the context. The Internet reads it as if he had said "all girls suck at games so we added a mode that allow them to join us in our elite gaming".

No wonder real, genuine sexism is so hard to stamp out. People are to busy fighting and railing against non issues instead of focusing on the real problems.

Mortai Gravesend:

Boudica:

Mortai Gravesend:

Oh I definitely agree that it's a nasty stereotype and people brush it off too often, but while one of them clearly made a mistake there, it's not like it's something endorsed by the company. I mean they could fire him, but I don't think his comment was of *that* magnitude.

Hm. You know what, hon? I think you're right. That the public jumped on him for it and it's pretty much universally been condemned as a stupid thing to say, is enough. The lesson has been learned. He knows it was dumb, he's sorry, and we all get the message--casual sexism aint on.

I'm super disappointed that it happened and it's frustrating for me to see this attitude even passingly surface, but perhaps enough has been done.

Boudica:

Mortai Gravesend:

Boudica:

Hm. You know what, hon? I think you're right. That the public jumped on him for it and it's pretty much universally been condemned as a stupid thing to say, is enough. The lesson has been learned. He knows it was dumb, he's sorry, and we all get the message--casual sexism aint on.

I'm super disappointed that it happened and it's frustrating for me to see this attitude even passingly surface, but perhaps enough has been done.

I do like the attitude of not letting sexist things go by, just got to figure when enough has been done about a particular incident. As far as the person who's guilty is concerned, I think we've done enough. Now as for people who don't really get why anyone might take issue with his wording... -__-

Vault101:

Adult content is adult content, don;t let the kids watch or play it

I have seen men tortured, beaten, killed in grusome and disturbing ways....a rape threat (not actual rape) seems trivial in comparison...though in prison settings...when it isnt being played for laughs (like shawshank redemption) it was shown for the terrible thing is it

Yeah, two things: One, the Content-rating of videogames is awful and no one seems to use it. Two: I don't really give a shit about if a protagonist is threatened, or beaten etc...But I am against a particular type of threat that in 99% of the cases of popular media is used against women.

Vault101:

why?

the situation is Lara Croft is a young attractive girl out in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hardass thungs/mercinaries....in that context its a plausable outcome, so its not out of place that there is an "implication" not actual rap or ANY physical/sexual assult

what actually happens is the guy makes some threatenaing comments/actions ..Lara Bites the fuckers ear off and escapes

thats it

rape is an incredibly difficult subject to handle even at the best of times...let alone an "imature" medium like games....so of coarse there is no actual rape in the game...nor would I want there to be,

it was merely a thing to make that particular situation seem more scary/intense

I'm...Not getting through your skull am I?
Would that situation have been appropriate in Uncharted? In Assassins Creed? In ANY OTHER GOD-DAMNED GAME WITH A MALE PROTAGONIST?!
You see, rape is usually not about fucking, no matter what some people think. It's usually about power. Thus, it's a demonstration of how little power someone has to rape or even threaten to rape them. Which is why I don't like the entire rape-thing. It's used to degrade a female char, something which seems to draw out a glee-filled response. Look at the Lara Croft incident(I don't care if she bites his ear off btw, it's the situation in itself I am filled with loathing by) or by The Other M. It's not enough to present threats, no no, you need to devastate the protagonist emotionally.
And with methods you don't use on male protagonists. Easy as that. Disgusting as hell too.

Mortai Gravesend:

Boudica:

Mortai Gravesend:

I do like the attitude of not letting sexist things go by, just got to figure when enough has been done about a particular incident. As far as the person who's guilty is concerned, I think we've done enough. Now as for people who don't really get why anyone might take issue with his wording... -__-

Spot on. I think some people are seeing this on a very superficial level, only concerning the words themselves and not the underlying problems. I don't think there's anyone that understands the entirety of the issue arguing that his words were fine. Which is good lol.

NortherWolf:
snip for space :)

I actually like the looks of the new Tomb Raider game. If what I've seen of the game is any indication of the game overall, I like the way they've handled things. I agree that in the context of being a weak, helpless victim, women are almost always the "go to" gender, but this game seems to have a mature air about it and Lara aint no victim--she's fighting back and proving how strong she is. Rather than "Oh no! Lara is going to be raped! Help her!" they simply put the player in a very real situation and put forward an actual reason for you to want to fight.

The biggest problem games face with sexism is simply bad writing. Think of the last game you played with enemies in it. Why were they enemies? Because the game needed challenge and the programmers put a face to that opposition and used some "they're evil" cliche? It's cheap, easy writing. Here the player is confronted with a reason to want to fight, to want to get away. It's real, it's heavy and it's a big step. The enemy is menacing Lara (there's no rape or assault) and we don't like it. For the first time, a game has made an enemy... actually a real enemy, and when Lara kicks his ass we cheer for her and she looks damn badass.

It's a small baby step. Let me show you a film that goes well beyond this Tomb Raider game: Terminator. Here a character is made to look helpless and is even assaulted (one step beyond the simple "creepy vibe" Lara suffers). When they fight back and show their spirit, we want to stand up and yell "Fuck yeah!" Her character, no matter what, just won't be beaten.

So while the gaming community has a long way to go in regards to its views and treatment of women, this game itself could well feature one of the first well rounded, powerful and inspiring characters in video games. She's not aloof and seemingly immortally lucky like Nathan Drake. She's not in power armour and there's no squad to back her up like Marcus Fenix. She doesn't need any of that. She's got the will to fight.

My two cents :)

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:
It's just one skill tree on one character that's geared towards requiring less skill. So calling that skill tree "Casual Mode" would be a) boring and b) a bit insulting to anyone who uses it!

"What should I refer to this skill tree as in an interview... Hm. Well, it requires less skill, so pretty much anyone can play it- Girlfriend Mode! 'Cause subconsciously I think women are bad at video games. No one will mind, right?"

It's not called Girlfriend Mode. It's called Best Friends Forever. I think it's quite cute.

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

*laughs* I'm sorry but when someone seems so determined to be offended by something so small, it's hard to take them seriously.

MetalMagpie:

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

*laughs* I'm sorry but when someone seems so determined to be offended by something so small, it's hard to take them seriously.

See how Mortai argued their point? They acknowledged an understanding of the oppositions point, addressed said point, and then proceeded to share their opinion.

That's how you argue. You don't open your comment with a lazy jab--it makes it perfectly clear you have no interest in actually discussing the issue and simply want to throw your opinion at someone.

NortherWolf:

I'm...Not getting through your skull am I?
Would that situation have been appropriate in Uncharted? In Assassins Creed? In ANY OTHER GOD-DAMNED GAME WITH A MALE PROTAGONIST?!
You see, rape is usually not about fucking, no matter what some people think. It's usually about power. Thus, it's a demonstration of how little power someone has to rape or even threaten to rape them. Which is why I don't like the entire rape-thing. It's used to degrade a female char, something which seems to draw out a glee-filled response. Look at the Lara Croft incident(I don't care if she bites his ear off btw, it's the situation in itself I am filled with loathing by) or by The Other M. It's not enough to present threats, no no, you need to devastate the protagonist emotionally.
And with methods you don't use on male protagonists. Easy as that. Disgusting as hell too.

don't patronise me

no, it wouldn't be used with Nathan Drake, in fact if it were it would probably be played for laughs, which yes, is a huge double standard, but then it seems the "rape" thing feels different when its applied to females and males

and hold on...rape in Other M? I'm pretty sure the issue with that game was something else entirely (and in that case valid...the problem was with the whole game, not a few seconds in the trailer)

that scene in the trailer really offends you for some reason, I see it as merely as Lara in a disturbingly threatening situation ...much like Drake when he's tied to a chair and threatened/beaten by pirate (unrelated point but you don;t often see a female take a full punch to the face)

I'm not about to tell people what they should or shouldn't be offended by, I would guess that the majority of the game is Lara surviving in the harsh wilderness and maybe even kicking ass (eventually) not trying to escape from rape gangs

First thought reading this article:
Goddamn! Thats an awesome character design! Unique and new, catchy name and overall great class idea! Gotta check forum if people have some interesting input about this char!
*opens forum*
Thats... not what I expected people would find most interesting about this article :D

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

Boudica:

See how Mortai argued their point? They acknowledged an understanding of the oppositions point, addressed said point, and then proceeded to share their opinion.

That's how you argue. You don't open your comment with a lazy jab--it makes it perfectly clear you have no interest in actually discussing the issue and simply want to throw your opinion at someone.

You really have no idea how silly you sound right now. This isn't a super-serious issue for super-serious discussion. A guy made a throwaway comment and you've decided to get your knickers in a twist about it. Stamping your foot and saying "You're not taking this seriously! Discuss this seriously! THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!" just makes you sound like a child.

If you're really as easily offended as you claim to be, you must have real problems watching comedy! ;)

Bibliotek:

*opens forum*
Thats... not what I expected people would find most interesting about this article :D

You haven't been here long, have you. ;)

MetalMagpie:

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

You really have no idea how silly you sound right now. This isn't a super-serious issue for super-serious discussion. A guy made a throwaway comment and you've decided to get your knickers in a twist about it. Stamping your foot and saying "You're not taking this seriously! Discuss this seriously! THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE!" just makes you sound like a child.

If you're really as easily offended as you claim to be, you must have real problems watching comedy! ;)

You continue to contribute nothing at all to the thread. If you are unable to debate the issue, I suggest you leave. Making comments and quoting people for the sake of insulting them cannot be the best way for you to spend your time and it's against the forum rules.

Leave it be or actually debate the topic. Leave your childish, personal attacks at the door.

J Tyran:
So he referred to a mode that has some kind of aim assist for people that don't play games much as "girlfriend mode" and that makes him a misogynist? Whats so bad so bad about that? He might have easily referred to it as "Dad mode" or "Mum mode" or "non gamer relative mode".

Its obvious he meant it in the context of having a girlfriend that doesn't really play games wanting to join in a co-op game.

But no that's not acceptable, because the touchy internet doesn't see the context. The Internet reads it as if he had said "all girls suck at games so we added a mode that allow them to join us in our elite gaming".

To be fair, I think this particular website is a bad example. There seem to be a lot of White Knights and Neo-Nazi Feminists (as opposed to the normal, sane kind) who hang around on this forum. So mentions of anything related to gender-politics (however weakly) tend to get some knee-jerks.

Different corners of the web get their knickers in a twist about different things. Try mentioning copyright law on deviantArt!

Boudica:

MetalMagpie:

Boudica:

You continue to contribute nothing at all to the thread. If you are unable to debate the issue, I suggest you leave. Making comments and quoting people for the sake of insulting them cannot be the best way for you to spend your time and it's against the forum rules.

Leave it be or actually debate the topic. Leave your childish, personal attacks at the door.

Be fair for a moment: you're not exactly contributing much either! Derailing onto a gender-war (based entirely on one line in the post) isn't giving your view on the actual topic.

So let's get back on topic. The Mechromancer looks like she's shaping up to be a really fun character. And the "Best Friends Forever" skill tree could be really great for messing around. The skill "Close Enough" made me chuckle (ricocheting bullets are always fun) and the decoy robot could be really handy.

She is a DLC character though, so I'll have to see how much they charge for her.

Adam Jensen:

Palademon:
So my options are piss easy or nut breaking?
Why can't I just have a serious character?

Because this is Borderlands.

I think this is a cute idea. I don't need it though. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend that's actually better at FPS than me. And yes, that's kinda hot.

"Just shut up and cover me!"
Best. Dirty talk. Ever.

Also, yeah. Girlfriend mode sounds totally demeaning!

J Tyran:

No wonder real, genuine sexism is so hard to stamp out. People are to busy fighting and railing against non issues instead of focusing on the real problems.

You forget "mum mode" wouldn't be allowed because a mother is female, so it's still saying "all women suck at video games". /sarcasm

But, yeah, it was meant as a "partner mode" but because gaming (and game development) is seen and portrayed as a mostly male demographic (whether that's true or not) and the guy the coined the term is a heterosexual male, he called it "girlfriend mode". It's not even called that in the game! It's now BFF-mode.

I wonder if the people white-knighting this get offended this much at something in TV or film. Because there's never ever been stereotypes in them or anything.

Sounds interesting, nice concept for Co-Op / introducing someone to the game who's new to the genre.
For the term "girlfriend skill tree", well, i will always point out sexism or unequality wherever it occurs, but i think, looking at it in context, the background of the character, this is funny, kind of a nice pun.

But then again, i think a character being DLC is one of the most crappy moves of the industry to make. Just look at Skylanders, it looks fun and has Spyro - hey, serious, this may not sound like much, but it's Spyro! one of the best jump&runner / adventure characters of gaming history - but i'll NEVER buy it considering the fucking "you gotta' buy them all" mechanism of the game. A Character as DLC is only topped by horse armor.
Also, it blocks/ abuses the casual part of the deal.

Last but not least, i have a bad feeling about this. Borderlands (1) was a realy fun game, but it had huge gameplay flaws (bugs, balance issues, crappy rock/paper/scissor PvP)! In my opinion, this was kinda excusable considering it was a newcomer, but it is not to reproduce the same mistakes on the second try. Looking at Borderlands' development and how they desperately want to kick it out before they have secured its quality, i have doupts this will actually be a better game than its predecessor

Some people really need to get over themselves. Yes the guy was feeding into a stereotype. What a huge crime... cause they are all the same, right? It's a guy gamer talking about something that guy gamers easily recognize. It's personal anecdote, not a commentary about the abilities of the female sex. It never was. He is alluding to the fact that a lot of us males have girlfriends that aren't particularly into our hobbies, not just games btw.

It's a personal example that enough people have had for the MEANING to be easily understood. And the meaning is easy mode for a noob gamer. It's an example about differing interests and thus levels of experience, not inherent abilities.

It does not say women are worse than men, does not say women are too dumb or too clumsy to play a video game like a man. That is an insecurity you read into it all on your own and that strawman of your own making is what offends you.

No one is offending you, it's your own fetish to be perpetually offended. It's hip or something.

m19:
No one is offending you, it's your own fetish to be perpetually offended. It's hip or something.

It's definitely hip to be offended these days. It draws a lot of attention and that's the end goal really, to draw attention by being that one guy/girl who keep screaming "This offends me! Look at meeee, I'm so offended!"

For the thousand'th time, women can have fair and equal representation in gaming when get off their asses and put as much effort into game development as men have. Game developers are still overwhelmingly male.

MetalMagpie:

Jhooud:
The unfortunate choice of title for this mode aside, this really does sound like a great idea! My wife can't really keep up with me, my son or my daughter. Something like this would allow her to play along with the rest of us and not get frustrated.

Why not just call it Casual-mode or some such?

I think "Best Friends Forever" is actually quite fun as a silly skill tree name.

The title of this post is a bit deceptive. There isn't actually an entire mode that makes the game easier to play (like "Story Mode" in an RPG). It's just one skill tree on one character that's geared towards requiring less skill. So calling that skill tree "Casual Mode" would be a) boring and b) a bit insulting to anyone who uses it!

I was more reacting to the twitter quote than to the actual name of the skill tree. Mainly because I fail at reading comprehension :( C'est la vie, no more posting before coffee!

Uh oh! That guy detailed a real situation that happens when one partner of a relationship uses a co-op game to introduce the other to playing video games, and the unfamiliar interface makes it difficult! And since, statistically, this would be a male introducing a female to it, he's even decided to call it girlfriend mode. And he didn't even dwell on the topic and obviously had no malice in his comment!

It's time to rev up the PC crybaby machine and start a huge stink. He's got to pay for making a statement grounded in factual data that people don't like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here