U.S. Senator Takes Pro-NRA, Anti-GTA Stance

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Politician avoids criticism of gun industry, but Grand Theft Auto is fair game.

As the United States once again participates in a heated debate on topics like gun control, mental health issues, and the like, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin has made his feelings known. In an interview with West Virginia's Metro News, the democrat from West Virginia notes that he is a proud supporter of the NRA, but questions whether Grand Theft Auto titles should perhaps be pulled from store shelves.

After firmly stating that he refuses to let the NRA or anyone else "be villainized," Manchin sets his sights on Rockstar's flagship franchise. ""Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes." Adding later, "Shouldn't that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

Well, for someone who refused to point fingers, Manchin certainly seems to be extending a digit in the direction of the video game industry.

The Senator also engaged in discussion regarding the banning of assault weapons, noting "I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

And he's right; This is a topic that is not only sensitive to just about everyone, but also has a multitude of angles and inspires passionate opinions. But while we're being careful to not step on the toes of everyone from gun owners to mental health practitioners, shouldn't the same care be given to the developers and publishers of videogames? I'll leave that to you to decide.

Source: Metro News via Gameranx

Sorry mike, andy beat you to it.

Racecarlock:
Sorry mike, andy beat you to it.

Are you referring to this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121196-U-S-Senator-Seeks-New-Study-of-Violent-Videogames

Not the same Senator/stance/story.

Reading is fun! :D

I can't facepalm enough. I don't have enough foreheads and hands.

So light machine guns are fine but an activity that doesn't directly cause harm in any shape or form deserves to be policed? Yeah, this absolutely smells like the gun lobby trying to save its own damn ass, as well as its profit margins.

Ah the usual, save our kids ban violent videogames bs.

People need GTA about as much as they need 30 round magazines. They really dont need either, but both are fun to have!

MikeWehner:

Politician avoids criticism of gun industry, but Grand Theft Auto is fair game.

As the United States once again participates in a heated debate on topics like gun control, mental health issues, and the like, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin has made his feelings known. In an interview with West Virginia's Metro News, the democrat from West Virginia notes that he is a proud supporter of the NRA, but questions whether Grand Theft Auto titles should perhaps be pulled from store shelves.

After firmly stating that he refuses to let the NRA or anyone else "be villainized," Manchin sets his sights on Rockstar's flagship franchise. ""Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes." Adding later, "Shouldn't that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

Well, for someone who refused to point fingers, Manchin certainly seems to be extending a digit in the direction of the video game industry.

The Senator also engaged in discussion regarding the banning of assault weapons, noting "I don't know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about."

And he's right; This is a topic that is not only sensitive to just about everyone, but also has a multitude of angles and inspires passionate opinions. But while we're being careful to not step on the toes of everyone from gun owners to mental health practitioners, shouldn't the same care be given to the developers and publishers of videogames? I'll leave that to you to decide.

Source: Metro News via Gameranx

Yes, lets ban GTA, a work of fiction. While we are at it, lets ban books, music, and movies that also have violence in them. As we all know, they are the true villian.

/sarcasm

Oh look, it's another old and out of touch politician raving about the evils of rock 'n' roll and comic books.

well i can at least agree with his second part, that no one needs 30 rounds in a clip to go hunting, but the GTA thing i don't agree with, it has a mature age range so it's parents/stores faults if it ends up in the hands of kids.

There hasn't even been a GTA released in years. You might as well blame Doom or Duck Hunt.

Our government at it's best! Let's ban the fake guns but make sure everyone has access to the real ones. Could it have anything to do with the fact he's in West Virginia where a lot of people have actual guns. Got to get re-elected by going for perceived easy votes.

Ahhh yeah, of fucking course.

For an NRA supporter, his knowledge of firearms is noticeably lacking. The 30-round detachable boxes in assault rifles? Those are called magazines, not clips. Clips, or stripper clips are a tool used to reload magazines, usually tube-type. They are not used in the firearm's firing and cycling procedures. So, in also taking the erroneous position of attempting to limit virtual firearms that don't kill people, he's also advocating real steel firearms that 1: he lacks the knowledge to operate, and 2: The BIG one: DO kill people.

publikman:
There hasn't even been a GTA released in years. You might as well blame Doom or Duck Hunt.

um.. they did that already

so by that logic we need to ban horror movies because they can show how to cause direct harm to others.
then we should ban paintings that show blood
then we should ban books that depict violence

Oh look now we are back to those Puritan Values. you know "the people so Anal the British kicked them out"

an annoyed writer:
For an NRA supporter, his knowledge of firearms is noticeably lacking. The 30-round detachable boxes in assault rifles? Those are called magazines, not clips. Clips, or stripper clips are a tool used to reload magazines, usually tube-type. They are not used in the firearm's firing and cycling procedures. So, in also taking the erroneous position of attempting to limit virtual firearms that don't kill people, he's also advocating real steel firearms that 1: he lacks the knowledge to operate, and 2: The BIG one: DO kill people.

you do realize the the "common" term for a magazine is "clip", and they are viewed as interchangeable terms. the same way that skin, and costume are interchangeable terms in video games when one is what is applied to a model in a modeling tool, and the other is the texture that is applied to the skin.

I don't think there could be a more obvious attempt at scapegoating...'This thing I support? It's not totally responsible..I mean, it has problems...but uh...it's not like it...HEY, videogames! Look at those things! They sure are controversial, right guys?'

Or the 'Jingle Keys' approach, as TV would have it called.

gardian06:

you do realize the the "common" term for a magazine is "clip", and they are viewed as interchangeable terms. the same way that skin, and costume are interchangeable terms in video games when one is what is applied to a model in a modeling tool, and the other is the texture that is applied to the skin.

I'm well aware of the fact, it just annoys me when people who are the makers of policy use language that indicates that they have no idea about what they're talking about, especially when they advocate the thing they use the misnomer on. It makes them come off as twice the raving idiot than they normally would be, because they can't be bothered to learn about what they advocate.

You can have my videogames when you pry them from my cold dead hands!

I find it funny that he's crediting Rockstar with so much influence on American society and America as a whole.

Isn't this the kind of thing the Second Amendment was suppose to protect against... I mean, what's the point of having all those guns if a British entity can destabilise the country and exert it's corrupting influence on society from afar, without a single shot being fired?

an annoyed writer:
he's also advocating real steel firearms that 1: he lacks the knowledge to operate, and 2: The BIG one: DO kill people.

Actually, guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people. Honestly, these hippie types drive me up the wall.

"Well, for someone who refused to point fingers, Manchin certainly seems to be extending a digit in the direction of the video game industry."

Guess which digit *I'm* extending in Senator Manchin's direction.

An old white guy is afraid of video games and thinks GTA should be banned?

It really is the end of the world.

There should really be a mandatory course in statistical analysis for politicians.

Video games exist in large numbers everywhere.
Mass shootings exist in relatively large numbers only in the US.

Therefore video games are unlikely to be the cause of mass shootings.

Similarly, guns exist in large numbers in many places, including places where mass shootings are rare. Therefore, the problem likely has much more to do with something unique to the US such as their reverence of gun culture or stigmatization of mental health issues or sensationalist media, etc.

But trying to fix those things is hard, blaming games is easy.

You know, if we really are going to ban violent media that causes violence and media in general that causes violence, then let's start with the bible. The crusades, the inquisitions, the gay therapy camps, the civil war, all the marches and social reform that had to happen for african americans after the civil war to get rid of most of the racism and the KKK STILL exist, I'd say far more people have been encouraged to violent acts by the bible than violent video games.

He can say what he wants, but the video game industry in america makes money hand over fist so nothing will change. Nevermind that GTA isn't even close to the most popular shooter out there. In fact, why are they not complaining about the airport scene in MW2? That would seem to suit their interests, and it's more recent than GTA4.

Froggy Slayer:

an annoyed writer:
he's also advocating real steel firearms that 1: he lacks the knowledge to operate, and 2: The BIG one: DO kill people.

Actually, guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people. Honestly, these hippie types drive me up the wall.

Actually, the shock and impact of the bullet puncturing the body and severing nerves and blood vessels sustaining the ecosystem that keeps the subject alive kills them, not the bullet. The bullet may instigate this phenomena, but it needs to be explosively discharged, usually through a hollowed out tube, to perform this task. This tube is mounted on a frame which houses a mechanism to discharge the bullet through the tube, which when properly aimed, is directed towards the target and causes said rupturing of blood vessels and severs the aforementioned nerves on impact. Whether it kills the subject is highly situational and dependent on where the bullet enters: the puncturing of a place like the skull will more likely kill the subject than the puncturing of an arm. It's possible to survive either if treated correctly: most of the time however, the subject will suffer from a hemorrhage and die before treatment can be provided in the headshot case.

One more thing: I'm not one of those hippie types either: I own a personal sidearm by necessity due to the fact that I live in a bad neighborhood. Knowing how to own, operate, and store such things responsibly is key to preventing incidents like the Connecticut case from happening again.

As the old saying goes "when you point the finger at something, there are four pointing back at you." The guy who shot up that school had been trained to use real guns, had experience using real guns and additionally had a very real mental health problem. I think killing civilian in GTA or whatever game was hardly going to improve his aim and while gaming could possibly have been a trigger for him, someone of that mental condition could have be set off by even the most innocuous of things.

This senator will probably move on to crusading against something else next month once he realises some other hot topic issue might score him some brownie points with some voters. So let's just call it as it is, some guy trying to exploit the emotions of a tragedy and the ignorance about a new medium for votes. Most people with half a brain will see straight through this guys act and call out the blatant hypocrisy and bias in his statement.

On a side note I wonder how long it will be before politicians realise that a large portion of gamers are of voting age and constantly trying to have a gaming witch hunt at every opportunity is likely to come bite them in the arse once an election rolls around?

FelixG:
People need GTA about as much as they need 30 round magazines. They really dont need either, but both are fun to have!

Though one wont directly allow you to kill a large number of people, and the other lets you kill hookers to get your money back...

Wait... that doesnt sound right...

an annoyed writer:

Actually, the shock and impact of the bullet puncturing the body and severing nerves and blood vessels sustaining the ecosystem that keeps the subject alive kills them, not the bullet. The bullet may instigate this phenomena, but it needs to be explosively discharged, usually through a hollowed out tube, to perform this task. This tube is mounted on a frame which houses a mechanism to discharge the bullet through the tube, which when properly aimed, is directed towards the target and causes said rupturing of blood vessels and severs the aforementioned nerves on impact. Whether it kills the subject is highly situational and dependent on where the bullet enters: the puncturing of a place like the skull will more likely kill the subject than the puncturing of an arm. It's possible to survive either if treated correctly: most of the time however, the subject will suffer from a hemorrhage and die before treatment can be provided in the headshot case.

One more thing: I'm not one of those hippie types either: I own a personal sidearm by necessity due to the fact that I live in a bad neighborhood. Knowing how to own, operate, and store such things responsibly is key to preventing incidents like the Connecticut case from happening again.

I guess that we're both right, seeing as the bullet still 'kills' the person by enacting destruction on vital bodily systems. But the bullet must be launched from a gun. And the gun must be operated by a human. Ergo, all three kill people.

Froggy Slayer:

an annoyed writer:

Ehh I'm sure you could bludgeon someone to deathw ith a rifle and some effort.

OT: Meh, who cares? The guy is pretty much wrong. Same with the gun control thing (Switzerland has more guns per capita. By a huge margin, every adult has an assault rifle issued and gets to keep it after their service in the defence force. They do not has massacres like this.

What they need is less coverage of such massacres to avoid encouraging mimicry for infamy, and better mental healthcare available for free.

mattttherman3:
He can say what he wants, but the video game industry in america makes money hand over fist so nothing will change. Nevermind that GTA isn't even close to the most popular shooter out there. In fact, why are they not complaining about the airport scene in MW2? That would seem to suit their interests, and it's more recent than GTA4.

Cuz in MW2 you shot russians and thats fine. GTA4 you shot americans.

Games/Movies don't kill people; People kill people ...with guns.

Mr.Tea:
Games/Movies don't kill people; People kill people ...with guns.

Guns don't kill people...but they sure help.

pro NRA, anti GTA.

kind of contradictive...

The second some kid walks into a school with a copy of CoD and shoots thirty people with it, I'll be right behind him.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here