Open Source Death Star Kickstarter Might Actually Work

Pages PREV 1 2

Nieroshai:
When countries are going bankrupt, I just can't stand for people actually putting money to this idea. It will seriously never happen with today's technology, so unless the kickstarter is to invent turbolasers and gravity panels and ion propulsion, money towards completing a blueprint is pointless.

blalien:
This is stupid. The Death Star is impossible to construct with our current technology, if it's possible at all. And if they did build it, they'd run afoul of the same laws that prevent private companies from building nuclear weapons. I have no idea what they plan on doing with that money if they meet their goal.

Twilight_guy:
I know that people who donate have too much money and not enough sense... but if you want to get rid of your money so bad why not donate to charity? At least then you know its going to something good as opposed to whatever these guy eventually decide to do with the cash.

This isn't happening. The Death Star is the size of a moon and made out of metal. I don't know if that much metal even exists on Earth. It also blew up plants. Not even with all the nuclear bomb on Earth could we scratch the Earth. That laser is impossible.

Go home Star Wars fans, you're drunk.

Triaed:
Are these the same people who read 50 Shades of whatever and line up outside Apple stores?
What a useless campaign for something with no use at all... then again, I am sure this has ever happened before :-P

Andy Chalk:
the primary challenge is to ensure everyone knows that this is actually a joke.

Indeed.

Let's make this as clear as possible to those suffering from a stunted humour gland - no money has been put towards this joke, no money will ever be put towards this joke, no-one has donated any money, the guy who set it up is not planning to do anything with the money, no-one cares that it would not actually be possible to build it, no starving children have lost anything or will ever lose anything because of this. Even if enough people joined in on the joke and it actually hit the funding level it would simply be cancelled before the time was up. Anyone complaining about this on the grounds that it's pointless, a waste of money, or not possible is, quite simply, an idiot.

For the record, no I haven't backed it. The joke has already been made, and pretending to donate money won't actually make it any funnier.

I am amazed at how silly some folk in this thread are.

You all do realize that no one has actually given the person who started this kickstarter any money right?

The pledge you see, over 200k, is POTENTIAL money if AND ONLY IF it reaches its 20 MILLION dollar goal

"There had been many commanders who had seen the original Death Star as a blatant attempt to bring the Empire's vast military power more tightly under his direct control, just as he'd already done with its political power. The fact that he'd ignored the station's proven vulnerability and gone ahead with a second Death Star merely reinforced those suspicions. There would have been few in the Fleet's upper echelons who would have genuinely mourned its passing- if it hadn't, in its death throes, taken the Super Star Destroyer Executor with it."

Never mind the Death Star. A Star Destroyer is both more practical (you can call down targeted orbital bombardments rather than blowing up the planet, a crucial distinction when you live on the planet) and easier to make. Much cheaper as well. Put up a few in orbit and use them both as interplanetary shuttles and as artillery platforms. There you go.

Kahani:

Nieroshai:
When countries are going bankrupt, I just can't stand for people actually putting money to this idea. It will seriously never happen with today's technology, so unless the kickstarter is to invent turbolasers and gravity panels and ion propulsion, money towards completing a blueprint is pointless.

blalien:
This is stupid. The Death Star is impossible to construct with our current technology, if it's possible at all. And if they did build it, they'd run afoul of the same laws that prevent private companies from building nuclear weapons. I have no idea what they plan on doing with that money if they meet their goal.

Twilight_guy:
I know that people who donate have too much money and not enough sense... but if you want to get rid of your money so bad why not donate to charity? At least then you know its going to something good as opposed to whatever these guy eventually decide to do with the cash.

This isn't happening. The Death Star is the size of a moon and made out of metal. I don't know if that much metal even exists on Earth. It also blew up plants. Not even with all the nuclear bomb on Earth could we scratch the Earth. That laser is impossible.

Go home Star Wars fans, you're drunk.

Triaed:
Are these the same people who read 50 Shades of whatever and line up outside Apple stores?
What a useless campaign for something with no use at all... then again, I am sure this has ever happened before :-P

Andy Chalk:
the primary challenge is to ensure everyone knows that this is actually a joke.

Indeed.

Let's make this as clear as possible to those suffering from a stunted humour gland - no money has been put towards this joke, no money will ever be put towards this joke, no-one has donated any money, the guy who set it up is not planning to do anything with the money, no-one cares that it would not actually be possible to build it, no starving children have lost anything or will ever lose anything because of this. Even if enough people joined in on the joke and it actually hit the funding level it would simply be cancelled before the time was up. Anyone complaining about this on the grounds that it's pointless, a waste of money, or not possible is, quite simply, an idiot.

For the record, no I haven't backed it. The joke has already been made, and pretending to donate money won't actually make it any funnier.

Although I don't mind jabs at my sense of humour or lack thereof (yes I am aware that this campaign is a joke and that no real Death Star will be built regardless of fan support), I do mind being called an idiot.

Welcome to the internet and all that...

Ukomba:
You'd need a planet cracking super laser to get the materials needed for a death star.

You mean to tell me we need a Death Star to fund the Death Star?
We need to start another Kickstarter to fund a Death Star to fund the Kickstarter for the Death Star. Yo Dawg?

Jmp_man:

Ukomba:
You'd need a planet cracking super laser to get the materials needed for a death star.

You mean to tell me we need a Death Star to fund the Death Star?
We need to start another Kickstarter to fund a Death Star to fund the Kickstarter for the Death Star. Yo Dawg?

Yup, It's turtles all the way down.

Open source huh? I wonder if this will end up being the first star ever to get hacked. They should make a movie about it, called the Star Hackers.

Broken Orange:
At least we won't have the blood of many Bothan spies on our hands to get these blue prints.

Oh, this guy.

OT: Sadly this will never truly come into fruition.

While the White House's address about constructing the Death Star was meant to be intentionally funny, this is not. Maybe it's just my paranoia of a potential scam (even though the ability to reach that limit is still immensely high), but I just don't get why it needed to be put on a site aimed at creating real projects. I know no one will lose their money if the project doesn't go through, but nonetheless, I still don't like the joke.

Mojo:

Space Jawa:
If this actually gets anywhere, we may need to start a counter-kickstarter designed to produce a heavily modified YT-1300 Light Freighter and a few squadrons of X-Wings that can be sent on a mission to destroy it should it be used for nefarious purposes.

We might also need to start to train shooting womp rats in our T-16s and hope they forget to fix that one flaw.

Too risky, best invest in a pair of wire cutters as well. Just in case

The Goat Tsar:
Somebody needs to call the world's craziest millionaires and billionaires. We need their help.

The world needs more crazy billionaires to make this possible

I must be the only person on here who actually thinks the fact that this exists is pretty cool. No it's not funny, there's nothing comedic about it, it's just awesome. Sure it's almost incomprehensibly implausible that this would ever come to fruition, but to me, that just makes it more fun in a crazy harebrained sort of way.

You all need to loosen up.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or