Brutal Legend Coming to PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

All I really have to say is about fucking time xP. Loooking forward to this.

Little Gray:

loa:
If I want third person strategy only done a million times better, I'll play sacrifice.
Brutal legend is awesome and all but it tried to be so many things that it didn't really hit the mark in either of them.
It is also quite optimized for gamepads so the pc version will probably be quite awkward to play.

That is the biggest mistake I keep on seeing about Brutal Legend. The people who play it just dont understand what it is. Its not a third person strategy game its a hack and slash game where you also get to control an army.

Except that your hacking and slashing doesn't do shit but thats okay because you have that blatantly overpowered facemelter quick time solo while spamming battlecry whenever it wears off so it's a rhythm game in which you control an army.
It is also a racing game and an open world rpg.

Allow me to post this video for the second time today:

Between this and System Shock 2, it's times like this when I love being part of the Master Race.

Please don't buy this if you've only seem the first hour or so, or even played the demo.

It turns from what looks like a cool open-world driving and hack and slash game, into a poor quality RTS-lite.

Biggest bait and switch I've seen on the PS3, and it suckered me into buying the damn thing.

I was interested way back when I played the demo, then I heard how the gameplay is nothing like that outside that part and it turns into a RTS sorta thing. Soooorta not interested after that

loa:
[quote="Little Gray" post="7.400952.16500329"]Except that your hacking and slashing doesn't do shit but thats okay because you have that blatantly overpowered facemelter quick time solo while spamming battlecry whenever it wears off so it's a rhythm game in which you control an army.
It is also a racing game and an open world rpg.

Your hacking and slashing does do shit - it's meant as a quick, weak series of attacks you can use to pick off a small group of troops, or mess with the enemy leader. You're not supposed to drop right into the middle of the enemy army and try to kill everything yourself - when your army clashes with theirs you're much better off using the double team attacks, since they not only protect you from damage, they also are more powerful than your solo moves - but it means you need to tie up both you and a troop while you use it.

The facemelter solo isn't that overpowered in multiplayer, it's just in single player they beefed it up to ridiculous levels for some reason. And while we're on the topic of poorly thought out mechanics, how exactly did the Sacrifice devs expect battles between people who know what they're doing to go? Because from my experience, they came down entirely to the first 30 seconds, and who was better at sprinting around picking up the free souls that were lying around.

Basically this game was the opposite of Sacrifice - somewhat crummy in single player, but really much more solid in multiplayer - whereas I would argue that Sacrifice was the other way round, in that it was fun in the loaded-dice single player scenarios but not when two people of equal footing were pitted against one another.

Andy Chalk:
Brutal Legend Coming to PC

Ordering the game now will also earn purchasers two exclusive Team Fortress 2 items, Eddie Riggs' hair and his guitar Clementine, as well as access to the Brutal Legend multiplayer beta that's currently underway.

Unless I read the steam page wrong the preorder bonuses are Riggs' hair and a taunt; not a guitar.

Funny I was just watching some youtube vids of the cutscenes the other day and thinking I might buy it pre-owned from CEX for a trip down memory lane. Now I can do the same with better visuals and without leaving the house.

Yey.

I really dug the death/black metal segment the first time around, shame it was all so short. :-/

So.....Linux version too?
I know I know, I can hope though right?

About fucking time. I've been waiting for this since it came out and here it is.

Once again, almost every game will show up on PC if you're willing to wait long enough. Or at least, almost every game I care about. Since I haven't been able to justify breaking down and buying a PS3 yet for the 3 or 4 games that haven't made an appearance yet.

I hope it comes out for OSX

kajinking:

Soviet Heavy:
Did we just time warp back to 2008? Halo 2 servers still open, a Brutal Legend announcement, and a Duke Nukem 3D+? Why did we suddenly go retro? Not that I'm complaining.

Hard to complain 2008 was a good year.

2008 is retro? I feel old now

Wow... that sure took a long time.

I rented this on the 360 back when it first came out and loved it, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick it up.

Played through it twice on PS3, anyway I bought it, will more than make up for Aliens: Colonial Marines. Now to the pawn shop and unload that PS3 version.

I always wanted to play this and when I saw it out on Steam I realised what I'm doing with my next paycheque.

So they release this almost four years after the fact on Steam, and don't provide any real new content. And have the balls to charge €20 for a four year mediocre old title that never delivered what it promised to be.

Something tells me that Schafer burnt out all his Kickstarter money on the Amnesia Fortnight games and is using this to help finance the further development of the actual Double Fine Adventure.

Fuck yes, I am so buying this, like, right now. I barely got to play it on console, but I loved what I did play (and yeah, I got up to the "RTS" sections). The whole time I was playing it I felt like it would have been far better suited to M+K.

Brutal Legend was the game that helped me abandon the PC, and never look back.
It was also not very good.
I'm pretty sure word got out that it was not very good a while ago.

Good to hear.
Now the RTS bits won't suck. (quite as bad anyway)

I loved Burtal Legend. I sank ages into it and finished it on all difficulties and found all the collectibles. I really want a sequel to come out but I won't be getting it on PC. I've had my fun with it now i just watch others have fun on it.

Ya... if you port the first two hours and just sell it for $10 this will be a major hit and people will beg for a sequel, but if you do the whole thing this concept will be dead and buried for good.

I think that I lasted about 2-3 hours into the game, was so goddamn cheesy. I bought it for $15 preowned so can't complain I guess.

It wasn't a bad game, but it had a lot more potential than eventually made it on the disc. Probably because the issues Double Fine had with actually getting the game published. I'd love to see an alternative universe in which the game got the resources it deserves.

But it's an interesting title and worth picking up despite its flaws.

And if you like, you're going to yell at your screen when it's over. The last act is just way too short, especially compared with the start of the game.

And no one will care. Too little too late.

Too bad the game turned out to be pretty weak after its first moments, the RTS wanna-be is a complete drag, and out of place. It's awful to play a game that's supposed to be a third person hack and slash, and plays so well as such, but pushes RTS down your throat every damn level...

Alfador_VII:
Please don't buy this if you've only seem the first hour or so, or even played the demo.

It turns from what looks like a cool open-world driving and hack and slash game, into a poor quality RTS-lite.

Biggest bait and switch I've seen on the PS3, and it suckered me into buying the damn thing.

100% what you said.

Isn't this ancient? WhyTF would a PC gamer want an ancient game (from what I understand not a particularly great one) made for consoles? It's like offering me an out of date fish that's been in the Sun for a week when I'm not hungry and when I already have a fridge full of fresh food. Not even fish because I like fish, but more like dog food.

Double fine are giving me out of date dog food. I'm not hungry Double Fine! I have fresh food in my fridge, stop giving me dog food.

I might get it just to support Jack Black and Double Fine, but other than that I'm not psyched at all.

Your Gaffer:

I care. Your statement is therefore inaccurate.

KingsGambit:
Isn't this ancient? WhyTF would a PC gamer want an ancient game (from what I understand not a particularly great one) made for consoles? It's like offering me an out of date fish that's been in the Sun for a week when I'm not hungry and when I already have a fridge full of fresh food. Not even fish because I like fish, but more like dog food.

Double fine are giving me out of date dog food. I'm not hungry Double Fine! I have fresh food in my fridge, stop giving me dog food.

Are you saying PC gamers don't play old games?
Because I still play games from the 90s.

Saw Tim's tweet about this, Immediately continued my 360 saved game (I was stuck on the RTS battle at Lionwhite's place) So I rallied and beat it... in the meantime, my Dog was eating the manual which I'd taken out of the box to remind myself of the controls. (Perhaps he wanted me to get the PC version)

I will add to what others have been saying in that I personally don't care too much for the RTS elements of the game... but BY GOD does it Rock! Driving around in the Druid Plough blasting Ozzy and running over stuff through album cover art is just pure unadulterated joy.

So now it's on Steam... and for 15 I can have the OST and the game? Count me in!

and if this goes towards making Brutal Legend II, I'm really in. ...but no RTS OK?

KingsGambit:
WhyTF would a PC gamer want an ancient game

Don't let the Counter Strike 1.6 players here you say that...it would not turn out too well.

OT: Bought this back when it came out on the 360 when I was a console gamer. I enjoyed it. Loved the aesthetics and the Album cover landscapes, music, and the VA's. I even kinda didn't mind the RTS elements too much since it was something that was not done very much on consoles, usually for a reason, but I digress. Watching the reviews before it arrived let me know those sections were coming, so I got my reaction out of the way before I actually played the game and enjoyed it. I loved how much love for the genre was put into the game, warranting a second buy from me, Mister Schafer. Not to mention that delicious, delicious OST included in the $18.74.

Not to mention that even though nearly everyone has their own opinion on Jack Black, but to me he always seems to be really enthusiastic and care about music no matter what others think of him, and doesn't actually take himself too seriously. I know some people are less than enthusiastic about him though.

Really liked the game on 360. Will likely buy it again if the port turns out to be quality, because I never play my 360 anymore. I liked it for what it was, even though EA made sure the marketing made people think it was a God of War rip off rather than streamlined RTS played from a third person perspective.

Denamic:

Your Gaffer:

Oh snap son, I done got told!

/of course I could just have been using hyperbole to make a point but naw, you told me dawg

Denamic:

Your Gaffer:

KingsGambit:

Are you saying PC gamers don't play old games?
Because I still play games from the 90s.

I've been enjoying Master of Orion II again, just started playing Dead Space I for the first time and have grabbed Baldur's Gate Enhanced Ediotion.

PC gamers LOVE to replay old games, especially if they're recently upgraded their rigs. Playing a game you loved that never, but now does, supported 1940x1280 on a 25" screen can be a wonderous thing. Brutal Legend is disliked for having real time strategy components, and that is understandable considering how it's on a console and consoles are known for handling real time strategy like arse. PCs, however, are perfect at handling real time strategy (mostly due to the Glorious Masters being the ones who use PCs) so I can see it being well received.

I've already got Brutal Legend on the 360, thanks.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here