Second Photo of Rumored PS4 Controller Emerges

Pages PREV 1 2

Aaron Sylvester:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony. Until then, please STFU. It worked in the 90's and it works today because it does the job and does it extremely well, it is 100% functional.
All attempts to "move on" from gamepad-style controllers have been a giant step backwards (see: Wii, Kinect, Move, etc).

Also it's hilarious when companies dig themselves into deep shit by first inventing new controls, saying "look, amazing potential!" and then fuck-all games coming out that use those controls effectively/intuitively. They forget that controllers should be made for games, not the other way around.

It's the reason why wheels are still round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are still rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation.

It's like inventing a car that runs on liquid gold instead of regular old boring petrol.

-Wacks upside head- You're missing the problem spectacularly. That touchpad is obviously a sign that they're TRYING to innovate...but it's also obvious that they're ripping off a competitor because Sony can't come up with anything ORIGINAL. And frankly, from what I've seen the reason stuff like the Move and Kinect didn't work is because developers were too lazy and complacent to try something new for a change. Obviously stuff like those could work as was evidenced by whenever Nintendo used the Wii to its full potential, exposing most game makers as creative cowards.

worldfest:

klaynexas3:

worldfest:
snip

snip

Games are not books in the same way movies aren't table-top fun. They are completely different.

All I'm saying with that is that the way we get to play the games should not be the top priority, it should be the games.
Books are not games, I know that, but they are both means of artful expression.

worldfest:

This is a Simple Business Model

When you have few corporations handling the same technology, you will get a low quality, low innovation product with large costs.

The PlayStation 3. The Wii U. Both of these products were already outdated when they came out. In fact, Sony has just started making a profit from their PS3. The Wii-U is in serious trouble because of its clunkly/absent software, not to mention the shortage of exclusive games. Nintendo is not playing a think-outside-the-box card anymore, and so I seriously doubt its recovery. I think the Nintendo empire as we knew it will severely diminish in the coming years because of their outdated vision. There was no luck in the success of the Wii. Now their execs will praying for it in the coming years.

Games are apart of the industry, but are not solely married to these consoles. That's why I'm saying that tablets are the future. They are powerful enough to run mid-tier software. You could easily fit the entire Final Fantasy VII game on the Google Nexus, even GoldenEye007. Even Final Fantasy X doesn't seem like a graphical stretch for the Ipad.

But because there are so few industries controlling consoles and cellphones, we'll never get a true breakthrough like the Mozilla Seabird. Why? Because businesses are afraid of risk.

I will admit that we could use some newer ways to play, but as I said before, it shouldn't be our absolute top priority, it should be about the games. And I don't think absolutely that tablets will be the future, they might be apart of it, but I don't see them as being the market head for all things internet, phones, or games. Phones, sure, it seems like that's where the phone market is going, but not for games. Yeah, certain tablets can do certain things graphically speaking that are pretty cool, but none of them could run a game like, say, any Bethesda game. That's just too much to handle. And maybe at some point they could, but for right now the consoles work just fine and they do push the limits to what they can do for the software. The player might not feel that full impact, but the games that the player plays are what's feeling the impact, and so it transfers to the player. Players might not see it, but they wouldn't get the experience that they get without the help of these console creators.

the whole controller sucks, the finish sucks, the shape sucks, the materials look crappy and cheap, even the buttons and placement of the screen sucks the d-pad looks like it was ripped from a 5 year old camera and why with the holes?
is that a microphone? in an object you tap and rattle and rumble? really? .. really really?

if sony releases that as a finished product i shall simply laugh

however i suspect it is some kind of beta/demo controller

Aaron Sylvester:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony.

Here's my idea. Wouldn't this be the best possible controller? Motion control +thumbsticks +buttons +one per hand.
Oh and you could split those four buttons on each stick into eight each.

Wow, that looks horrifically uncomfortable.....

It's grips are so fat, like a 360 controller. I can't use 360 controllers for long without cramps in my palms.

Fat grips and joysticks that are a sensible distance apart, that sounds like a joypad made for normal adult hands.

Also it's hilarious when companies dig themselves into deep shit by first inventing new controls, saying "look, amazing potential!" and then fuck-all games coming out that use those controls effectively/intuitively. They forget that controllers should be made for games, not the other way around.

It's the reason why wheels are still round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are still rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation.

Simplistic controllers and lazy developers are holding back gaming.
The fact we still have keyboards show how market forces negatively affect innovation in PC gaming.

If the front touchscreen thing is used more for extra buttons than anything really gimmicky, I won't mind.

Hmmm, I wonder how the new, bigger grips will feel. Other than that, I'll be relieved if this is what it ends up being. I like the PS controller, and I really don't see the point in making any drastic changes to a great design.

All I want is some guards on the L2/R2 buttons! That's all, Sony! That's all you needed to do!

I'm concerned by how chunky it looks, and the touch screen feels like a useless add-on. I love using controllers because I never have to look away from the screen, since I know its layout so well. It's no longer about which button does what, it's just instinctive muscle memory - I don't think "press R2 to reload" but just "reload". With a touch screen, my immersion is gone because I'm having to look outside of the game space to see new information.

Then again, I don't know what they'll use it for, so who knows. It might just be a battery, time and date display for all I know. It looks too small for any gameplay use. I do like the indents on the analog sticks though, because they get a little slippery to grip onto occasionally.

worldfest:

Aaron Sylvester:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony. Until then, please shut up. It worked in the 90's and it works today because it does the job and does it extremely well, more importantly all attempts to "move on" from gamepad-style controllers have been a giant step backwards (see: Wii, Kinect, Move, etc).

It's the same reason why wheels are round, why keyboards still exist, why monitors/TV's are rectangular, etc. You don't innovate for the sake of innovation. Ask the guy who tried rectangular wheels.

The PS Move is not innovation. It's a rehashed Idea from 2006 (Wii). The Wii surged in popularity becuase it was different. But how the mighty have fallen, Nintendo. (I'll talk about later.)

Sony doesn't care about innovation; they just want to edge Microsoft

Don't fool yourself. This Console War is not about innovation and risk, it's about doing something just a little better than the competition; it's why the Wii U's specs are just a little better than the PS3 and Xbox360. And we've all seen how it's panned out in these recent months -- i.e abysmal sales. And now, tragically, the entire industry is adopting that motif.

My parents still don't care about the PlayStation controller, but how they love their new phone Operating Systems. One is satisfied with what it is, while the other is pushing ahead and trying appease them.

Keyboards and Mouse Pads Still Exist in Gaming Because Gamers are Lazy

It's human nature to like what's comfortable, instead of trying something new, something that just might turn the entire industry upside-down. And we punish people with new ideas like DRM. This guarantees that as much $ goes to the publishers and developers as possible. But this needs to happen to keep this industry surviving. You've overrated the gaming community vision-wise.

I mean, c'mon! Gamers gawk at High Definition Textures, blades of grass and landscapes with scrawling pop-in. This is what we've settled for?

I see I think I missed your point sort of before, I think you are annoyed not only because companies innovated to a point but then stopped but because also the current tech should in theory be better but they didn't bother because of the cost. They only need to outdo the nearest competitor not change everything. Apple for example always say that they are revolutionary but really they haven't changed much at all they have just changed which brand of shiny to you buy.
I think part of it is that new tech always costs more like with LCD screens only becoming cheaper long after the tech was first created but I'm not sure how you avoid this issue. In this way I guess it doesn't really pay off to outdo your rivals by too much as you want to be better but also profitable.

I take back my previous comment as I realise you could be left out of the games you enjoy by not buying a next gen console but wait and hope to see which console seems most committed to the innovation you want. However I get the feeling that the next gen is going to about Sony and Microsoft angling for how you consume all media this time not just games so this might prevent them taking risks at launch.

Akratus:

Aaron Sylvester:
Anyone who says "this is boring and not innovative" can feel free to come up with something better and recommend it to Sony.

Here's my idea. Wouldn't this be the best possible controller? Motion control +thumbsticks +buttons +one per hand.
Oh and you could split those four buttons on each stick into eight each.

Well...not bad, but not something I would adopt because anything that makes use of motion controls already scores a -1000.

My idea is this:

Alright alright so it's not my idea and the notion isn't exactly new, but my point is that a console should allow you to plug in whichever controller you like (similar to a PC). This is yet another things which makes PC such an incredible platform, the fact that you can plug in a joystick if you feel like playing a flight sim, a steering wheel + pedals for racing games, a gamepad/fightstick for an arcade fighter and of course the good ol' mouse+keyboard for FPS/RTS/MMO/etc. And lets not forget Razer Hydra / Leapmotion for those weirdos who think motion controls are a good idea. Everything is available! You are never ever hindered by controls (or the lack of) - it is 100% about the game, as it should be!

So it strikes me as incredibly backwards/primitive when consoles are still hanging on to exclusive controllers. This is in the day and age of technological freedom, we're in a time where almost anything can be connected to anything else, and yet consoles are still hanging onto exclusive controllers. I feel THAT's where there is room for innovation, even though it's an innovation long goddamn overdue. There should be basic Xinput/Direct input/KB/Mouse support available on all consoles.

And if someone says "but everyone with a mouse will dominate those using analog controllers in first person shooters", you deserve a slap in the face, because a mouse/keyboard combo costs $20-30, everybody owns those things, so if you STILL refuse to use the best controller for the job then you deserve to suck at the game :)

This one looks a bit different, and better imo.

Keyboards and Mouse Pads Still Exist in Gaming Because Gamers are Lazy

Keyboards and mouse exist because it is still the best control platform ever created and save for holodeck, will be invented.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here