The IT Crowd Gets Together For One Final Episode

Pages PREV 1 2

Daveman:
I saw that scene with the emulator when I was looking up a without-laughter-track video for this but the scene I'm talking about was a different one where it was laughter at the fact that he'd got his N64 sent up to him from home and he'd been playing on it. It may have been the same episode.

Right, that's before getting kicked out of the apartment. It's not the funniest part of the episode, but it's more a joke about the fact that he announces it as a "great news", while his roommate is setting the table for a date with a girl, and so is more interested in other things at the moment (and the subsequent "But it's Friday. Friday's always vintage game night." line, that again pokes fun at the quirks of the character, more than anything else).

Let me point this out: I would kill to own a N64 (never got the chance to buy one when I was younger, and I am still broke, so I doubt I could get my hands on one together with a good library of games). Hell, I wish my commodore 64 didn't die horribly a while ago, so that I could plug it in again, from time to time, but it is a bit silly and I know it.

Also, it's not like I want to change yours (or anyone's) mind on the series, I am just trying to understand if I am missing something obvious as to why it should be considered offensive or not fun (I would still find it fun, as I believe there are a lot of lines and situations that are genuinely entertaining, but maybe I would understand where its detractors are coming from).

I don't know if dragging it on a scene by scene examination might be boring or annoying, so let me know if you think this conversation is getting nowhere, I wouldn't want to waste your time or bother you or anything like that.

mdqp:

Daveman:
I saw that scene with the emulator when I was looking up a without-laughter-track video for this but the scene I'm talking about was a different one where it was laughter at the fact that he'd got his N64 sent up to him from home and he'd been playing on it. It may have been the same episode.

Right, that's before getting kicked out of the apartment. It's not the funniest part of the episode, but it's more a joke about the fact that he announces it as a "great news", while his roommate is setting the table for a date with a girl, and so is more interested in other things at the moment (and the subsequent "But it's Friday. Friday's always vintage game night." line, that again pokes fun at the quirks of the character, more than anything else).

Let me point this out: I would kill to own a N64 (never got the chance to buy one when I was younger, and I am still broke, so I doubt I could get my hands on one together with a good library of games). Hell, I wish my commodore 64 didn't die horribly a while ago, so that I could plug it in again, from time to time, but it is a bit silly and I know it.

Also, it's not like I want to change yours (or anyone's) mind on the series, I am just trying to understand if I am missing something obvious as to why it should be considered offensive or not fun (I would still find it fun, as I believe there are a lot of lines and situations that are genuinely entertaining, but maybe I would understand where its detractors are coming from).

I don't know if dragging it on a scene by scene examination might be boring or annoying, so let me know if you think this conversation is getting nowhere, I wouldn't want to waste your time or bother you or anything like that.

Well I don't see it as silly or funny to enjoy games consoles, even old ones. If I were to say "Great news! For our regularly scheduled vintage game night I got my N64 sent up!" to one of my friends and somebody standing next to me laughed at that I'd feel like they thought my hobby was pathetic and I would feel insulted. Similarly, with a lot of the laughs the show gets I feel like it's laughing at "quirks" that I just see as standard stuff that nerdy guys do (not that there aren't also funny quirks, which are fine). As I therefore don't find these things inherently funny I feel like the show or it's viewership is being condescending a lot of the time. tbh it took me a long time to really notice it and I was a big fan when it first came out, but I started noticing these sorts of things right from the first episode and it eventually got to the point where my annoyance from those moments outweighed my enjoyment of the actually funny parts. In fact it put me off watching the IT Crowd for a really long time because I expected it to be the same, meaning I didn't get into that until it's final season.

Anyway, scene by scene breakdowns aren't especially useful as I haven't seen it in ages so I couldn't really present any arguments, the one I mention is kind of the stock one I remember for arguments sake. I mean this argument wouldn't get anywhere in that I'm not going to turn around and say I enjoy it just as I doubt your opinion would change, but I've said my piece about why I dislike it really.

Oh, and I hate fucking "bazinga!" as a catchphrase. I can't exactly pinpoint why.

Daveman:
Well I don't see it as silly or funny to enjoy games consoles, even old ones. If I were to say "Great news! For our regularly scheduled vintage game night I got my N64 sent up!" to one of my friends and somebody standing next to me laughed at that I'd feel like they thought my hobby was pathetic and I would feel insulted. Similarly, with a lot of the laughs the show gets I feel like it's laughing at "quirks" that I just see as standard stuff that nerdy guys do (not that there aren't also funny quirks, which are fine). As I therefore don't find these things inherently funny I feel like the show or it's viewership is being condescending a lot of the time. tbh it took me a long time to really notice it and I was a big fan when it first came out, but I started noticing these sorts of things right from the first episode and it eventually got to the point where my annoyance from those moments outweighed my enjoyment of the actually funny parts. In fact it put me off watching the IT Crowd for a really long time because I expected it to be the same, meaning I didn't get into that until it's final season.

Anyway, scene by scene breakdowns aren't especially useful as I haven't seen it in ages so I couldn't really present any arguments, the one I mention is kind of the stock one I remember for arguments sake. I mean this argument wouldn't get anywhere in that I'm not going to turn around and say I enjoy it just as I doubt your opinion would change, but I've said my piece about why I dislike it really.

Oh, and I hate fucking "bazinga!" as a catchphrase. I can't exactly pinpoint why.

Acting like something it's a big deal for the world, when it's actually something mundane it's kind of silly, I think. Just because I like old videogames, it doesn't mean that they can't be the butt of a joke. I find going to the stadium half-naked painted with the colors of your team silly, and I find equally silly the way Sheldon is obsessed with certain parts of his life. It doesn't negate their value to those who like these things because that... Would be silly. ^_^

Associating those quirks with something inherently part of being a nerd is probably what I am missing. You don't need to be a nerd to be a little OCD, nor to like certain videogames, movies or comicbooks. Even being socially awkward isn't exclusive to nerds, and the reverse is also true. Not all nerds are socially awkward, OCD comicbook lovers. In the series there are also "average" persons, they aren't the protagonists just because they would make for a lousy sitcom, most likely (usually, memorable characters aren't the "vanilla" ones. Who cared about Richie when you had the Fonz? Richie was there to offer something we could relate to, but he hardly meant anything to the meat of the narrative, most of the times, and could have been replaced easily). It plays some stereotypes a bit too straight, but in all honesty, their stereotypes are the same that plague the IT crowd guys, which brings me back to my question about why they are treated so differently (I mean, aside from the better writing, which is clearly there).

I guess I kind of get where you are coming from, though, which was my goal, so I learned something from this.

All catchphrases are more or less dumb, at best we like the characters that use them, so I can imagine you hating "bazinga!". ^_^

I think I'll do my happy dance now! This is so great! I love that series! :D

ITT: People who don't know Big Bang Theory is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

mdqp:
Acting like something it's a big deal for the world, when it's actually something mundane it's kind of silly, I think. Just because I like old videogames, it doesn't mean that they can't be the butt of a joke. I find going to the stadium half-naked painted with the colors of your team silly, and I find equally silly the way Sheldon is obsessed with certain parts of his life. It doesn't negate their value to those who like these things because that... Would be silly. ^_^

It's not that it can't be the butt of a joke, it's that the act isn't a joke on it's own. And I don't necessarily associate these things with being nerdy either so often it's *thing I do that is normal* => *laughter*, for instance to use the sport analogy imagine if the scene with the N64 was football fans instead and they said "I've got the special TV package so we can watch the game here today" and there was laughter. It would mean they thought the idea of somebody enjoying that being funny. I don't really know, it's more of a vague feeling now that I've gone ages without seeing it.

IT crowd is different in that I don't see that. For instance Moss getting super-excited for getting on Countdown could be interpreted in the same way, but then we later have somebody saying countdown groupies are the most attractive and sexually voracious of all groupies. So I can take the whole thing as less serious I suppose. Not that I go into all comedies with a serious mindset.

I'm not sure why I care so much, I genuinely once rejected an attractive girl's advances because she said my T-shirt reminded her of the Big Bang Theory. My friends have said it's pathetic.

Daveman:
It's not that it can't be the butt of a joke, it's that the act isn't a joke on it's own. And I don't necessarily associate these things with being nerdy either so often it's *thing I do that is normal* => *laughter*, for instance to use the sport analogy imagine if the scene with the N64 was football fans instead and they said "I've got the special TV package so we can watch the game here today" and there was laughter. It would mean they thought the idea of somebody enjoying that being funny. I don't really know, it's more of a vague feeling now that I've gone ages without seeing it.

IT crowd is different in that I don't see that. For instance Moss getting super-excited for getting on Countdown could be interpreted in the same way, but then we later have somebody saying countdown groupies are the most attractive and sexually voracious of all groupies. So I can take the whole thing as less serious I suppose. Not that I go into all comedies with a serious mindset.

I'm not sure why I care so much, I genuinely once rejected an attractive girl's advances because she said my T-shirt reminded her of the Big Bang Theory. My friends have said it's pathetic.

Well, it might be more along the lines of "I got this 1960 footage of the super bowl, and we are going to watch it as we do every friday". It just looks a bit excessive to others who aren't really into that sort of things. But yeah, as I said myself, it's not like that part is really all that fun or clever, so I concede the point.

The IT crowd is more "british" in its humour, unsurprisingly, and the situations depicted often start or spiral into a much more absurd setting, so it's hard to take it any seriously, I suppose. Maybe TBBT strikes a little closer to real life, that's why it becomes uncomfortable?

Your friends should have chased you with torches and pitchforks! You should have taken that as a chance to teach her the "truth" about the show, and score with a sexy girl. Two birds with one stone, and all that. ^_^

*sniff* ;_; the good die young.

I love The IT crowd, the humour is just spot on, probably thanks to the legend that is Linehan.
I suppose I'm glad it's finishing before it get unfunny and repetitive.

I assume Chris Morris and Noel Fielding will be making a return which just makes everything good.

One of the best cross-over ever in the history of TV Shows would be an episode where The IT Crowd meets The Big Bang Theory. It would be great to see Sheldon and Moss together, they are rather alike while being totally different.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here