Microsoft Officially Denies "Always On" For Xbox One

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft Officially Denies "Always On" For Xbox One

Xbox One

Xbox Live General Manager Marc Whitten says developers won't be forced to make Xbox One games always online but hopes they do anyway.

One of the big questions surrounding the Xbox One in the weeks and months leading up to today's reveal is whether the unit would require users to have a persistent connection to the internet. The "always online" requirement is a point of major contention, as gamers in well-serviced areas tend to applaud the idea while those stuck with narrower pipes see it as a portent of the end-times.

But with today's announcement of the Xbox One, Microsoft has made it official: the new console will not be always-on. That's the good news; the bad news, for those among you who have a regular habit of making a sandwich while YouTube buffers, is that it sounds like Microsoft is going to strongly encourage developers to take advantage of the new online services the console will offer, particular with regards to cloud computing and storage, and that will mean that no connection equals no game.

Microsoft's Marc Whitten made the company's position clear when he told Wired that developers won't be forced to incorporate always-on features but then added, "I hope they do." In other words, no persistent connection required this time around, but you better get used to the idea, and don't be surprised when it tops the feature list of the Xbox Two.

Source: Wired

Soooo, in other words, Microsoft actually wants developers to make games akin to Diablo 3 and SimCity?

I can only imagine this going oh so well...

Think I'm going to pass on this entire console generation. Nothing thus far encourages me to use my money for this up and coming generation of games.

And I'm still hoping that Persona 4 Golden comes out on something other than the goddamned Vita.

No always online, but for some reason it requires Kinect to be always connected.
Wonder if the next Kinect can actually work in a small room or else the One will be useless for many people.

They also says it requires an internet connection.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/xbox-one-will-require-internet-connection-all-games-must-be-installed/

Really like to see where they got that information, though. They just say it's from "Xbox.com" but I can't find it there.

Next generation!

Force your consumers to play exactly the way you want and then call it an "online feature."

Way to innovate Microsoft.

I cannot imagine what compelled microsoft to drive their boat into an iceberg with such pure conviction and bull-headed passion. It's like they have a death wish.

Microsoft is Playing Russian Roulette by themselves with every chamber in the gun full. If they seriously push the online cloud features on Developers and it blocks offline gameplay to a severe degree, and with the No backwards combatibility, preowned fees, Stupid name, Horrible look, and butchered looking controller.... They will not succeed with the next genertion.

I will probably be buying a WiiU as my only Console for the next gen unless Sony actually makes themselves look good after this. Which should be really easy to do.

So let me get this straight here. No backwards compatibility? Eh annoying but not a deal breaker. Additional fees for used games? Ok, that's a big red flag but I will see how it plays out. Actively encouraging devs to go awlays online? Aaaaand that's strike three! At this point I would like to encourage Microsoft to take their consoles to a centralized area, pile them up, gather all the people who were in charge of making these horrible decisions in the same centralized area and then proceed to have said people actually shove one of these consoles up their ass, controller, cords and all. If they can live stream it all the better.

So instead of 'Always On' they are going for 'Sometimes Always On'? I wonder whether this was something they hastily changed post-Orth and are trying to keep the feature but shift blame to developers for using it. And we all know that every EA game will use it.

I'm guessing Microsoft are going to be leading by example here, and making their own games use these 'features'.

Christ, this entire conference has been a disaster. The sad thing is that there are now more articles about the small-print Microsoft conveniently left out of the conference. Charging for used games? Needing Kinect to be always connected? Pushing always-online as a feature? This is just a PR disaster.

hehe..... Hahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

So wait it will not be always online but it will be always ON listening to you talk... waiting for your command to turn on.. But they are going to have the developers be the dicks who make you play the always online games..... So they are tossing the shit filled bag to someone else.....

Yep it is official FUCK THE XBONE!!!

So...is this going to be like Steams offline mode or something?

It was going downhill when they said Kinect needed to be always connected. The PR dept at MS must either be on LSD or have just left the building completely.

Is this stupid decisions month?

First nintendo crippling their youtube presence and free advertising of their games... now Microsoft wanting to sell us a console that does not "require" allways online but "encourages" developers to implement allways online?

That makes you pay for pre owned purchases?

I swear to god.. sometimes i think only retards work in the upper managment in those companies.

They call gamers entitled when gamers demand good quality games... yet no one notices how entitled the industry feels that they should have our money for kicking us in the balls and treating us like criminals.

Andy Chalk:
and don't be surprised when it tops the feature list of the Xbox Two.

Source: Wired

Silly Andy, the next Xbox isn't Two.

Don't you know that counting goes 1, 360, One, Three Hundred and 60, 300 and 60, Six.

Also I still can't figure out why it looks like a CDi.

Or vaguely like an Atari 5200.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I'm guessing Microsoft are going to be leading by example here, and making their own games use these 'features'.

Christ, this entire conference has been a disaster. The sad thing is that there are now more articles about the small-print Microsoft conveniently left out of the conference. Charging for used games? Needing Kinect to be always connected? Pushing always-online as a feature? This is just a PR disaster.

Sony's marketing team are probably wondering what the hell is going on. Perhaps it's some huge meta-plan to throw off the competition byr evealing a media hubw ith little focus on games and some really unwanted and likely unpopular features, only to reveal the actual console at E3.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing tonnes of games from Sony and Nintendo at E3...

I'll keep repeating it until it shows up on google.

Any game that requires any DRM or server connection even the tiniest bit above what Steam requires will never get my money. You want a phone home on install, sure I'll let you if I can't be arsed to download a workaround. But always on (or requiring phone home to start) for single player and its no sale. And multiplayer features that don't allow LAN play or private servers loses a sale.

Of course my house will never have another dedicated console until my kids demand one. Since I have an HTPC hooked up to my TV and I can play pretty much every console game there is but at better resolutions.

The "always online" requirement is a point of major contention, as gamers in well-serviced areas tend to applaud the idea

No they don't. Where would they get the ridiculous idea from?

Seems like some people still aren't reading. It's up to the developers. There's nothing there other than blind assumption at this point that says that MS will be forcing anyone to make a game with "always on" capability.
Keep in mind that Sony hasn't been too forthcoming with information at this point either, so lets hold off on flame wars, yeah?

Solo-Wing:
Microsoft is Playing Russian Roulette by themselves with every chamber in the gun full. If they seriously push the online cloud features on Developers and it blocks offline gameplay to a severe degree, and with the No backwards combatibility, preowned fees, Stupid name, Horrible look, and butchered looking controller.... They will not succeed with the next genertion.

I will probably be buying a WiiU as my only Console for the next gen unless Sony actually makes themselves look good after this. Which should be really easy to do.

They're playing russian roulette with a box magazine rifle rather than a revolver it seems.

Sony's stuff looks decent, Share isn't interesting to me but seems easy to ignore it's existence and they'll have strong first party IP's like they always have.

Wii U is decent, I have one, it's a nice system, very comfy to use even if it doesn't look it. Only issue is the trickle of titles, I have 3 and theres 2 others out I fancy, but the titles start hitting next month with Game & Wario, followed by Pikmin 3 and a slew of good stuff for Q3 and Q4...

Happy with my PC/Nintendo appraoch so far and will likely get a PS4 later.

Way on earth would you encourage a potentionally new Sim City? Why would you encourage a feature at least 90% of your fans is strongly opposed to.

This isn't exactly filling me with confidance Microsoft. I heard nothing but bad rumors before the reveal and after the reveal i have been hearing nothing but bad news.

be best if they did something like Steam does with offline gaming, tho even that isn't entirely optimal

my router crapped out a month ago, and I'd be amiss if I hadn't been able play through the entire Mass Effect series waiting for a new one to arrive lol

Wired said something about using the cloud to run games on a server to take a load off the console. If this was an option it might a neat idea, have a good internet connection and you can upgrade your game's visuals. Of course, if devs make it mandatory then it will be stupid bullshit

Aand.... I'm done. Goodbye Microsoft. The Xbox 360 was a good games console, even despite your constant attempts to turn it into an internet multimedia machine and forget about the GAMES part of games console. It had a good library. It played games. I liked the controller.

But if you're going to actively encourage internet enforcement on a device that I would be using at the opposite end of the house to my less-than-brilliant internet connection then I'm not going to buy it. Simple as.

PS4 looks tasty, but I think I'll stick around with the remaining games on the 360 that I haven't played yet. And then probably see about getting myself a decent PC rig.

EDIT: Oh, and Microsoft? The news about you declaring war on used games didn't help either.

They give developers an anti-consumer option so they could shift the blame on them. Nice strategy. Now I know why it's called Xbox One. It's 359 steps back from Xbox 360.

Haha, it's so hostile. I wonder if they made a switch after our response to the creative director's tweet that told us to get over it (he had to step down from his position over that) or if it was never going to be always on.

Either way, game developers and systems keep trying to go to outrageous means that other industries don't see. As long as there's an option I'm going to go that route and I hope others show their support accordingly. I have no desire to rely on someone else's system/database/servers/internet connection or anything else to be able to play games. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another point of vulnerability.

1) The Xbox one? wow .... The Wii is a better name ....

2) So, it's not 'always online' per-say, but does have that feature built in, and they really want devs to use it?

wow ... that is dumber then if they just made it always online since now they can shift the blame to some one else if its used.

well, to bad Microsoft, all you've done is make me want your console less then I already did, and I wasn't going to get it anyway

So, uh. I go to college. And I live on campus. Sure, we have internet, but it's pretty spotty. Moreover, the system we have is designed in such a way as to disallow the connections of routers and game consoles to the internet. I know some kids who have managed work-arounds, but from the sound of it, it's . . . extensive and time-consuming (and possibly requires additional hardware). Sooooooo, if games for this thing start being always-online (at the behest of Microsoft or otherwise), I'd only be able to play them about 3 months out of the year, which means I won't be purchasing them and I may even forgo the entire system.

Fuck, the news about the used game nonsense was enough to give me second thoughts about this thing by itself.

So they've basically said "Its not always online, but we want the devs to make all their games always online anyway" . Maybe i'm missing something, but did Microsoft have to fire their entire PR department recently (and their aesthetic design department from the looks of the thing) or is this some kind of very subtle marketing scheme.

Ironside:
So they've basically said "Its not always online, but we want the devs to make all their games always online anyway" . Maybe i'm missing something, but did Microsoft have to fire their entire PR department recently (and their aesthetic design department from the looks of the thing) or is this some kind of very subtle marketing scheme.

It certainly feels that way. I don't think they entirely understand consumer feelings on the matter. I mean, they must have a grasp on it when their colleague had to step down from his position just for voicing his opinion in a curt manner. I'm just glad that this is an issue many of us seem united on. There's so many reasons why it is a disadvantage to us and virtually no benefit to us as consumers. It is solely a form of DRM under the guise of anything they can call it. Servers unnecessarily augmenting the processing of calculations is what EA attempted to blame on Sim City and I'm sure future developers will make it actually reliant on it. On purpose, just to have something to blame.

I can understand having a sort of check in to verify nothing going on is bad or to verify that the game version is legitimate like we do with pc games, but always on is simply too intrusive. We're not too far from having to give blood/urine/stool samples while playing the games just to make sure no one else is using our console to play the game we purchased. Geeze. Reject stool sampling in the future by rejecting always online now!

Joking aside, this is a little like having to explain to the police why they can't place video cameras in our home just to make sure we're not committing a crime. That's what Always Online is. It's something that keeps a watchful eye on you to make sure you're not a thief. It's essentially the store clerk following you around the store because he thinks you're about to shoplift.

Midniqht:
Seems like some people still aren't reading. It's up to the developers. There's nothing there other than blind assumption at this point that says that MS will be forcing anyone to make a game with "always on" capability.
Keep in mind that Sony hasn't been too forthcoming with information at this point either, so lets hold off on flame wars, yeah?

Why bring up Sony? The president of their "World Wide Studios" stated flat out that the PS4 would not require always online. In a news story about Xboxone allowing developers to opt into always online requirements and the PS4 denying it, gamers are completely in the right to flame the shit out of Microsoft.

And all of a sudden that videogame crash is becoming more and more likely.

Andy Chalk:

Microsoft's Marc Whitten made the company's position clear when he told Wired that developers won't be forced to incorporate always-on features but then added, "I hope they do."

Why why why why? Why Microsoft are you so obsessed with forcing us online? And you know if they could they wouldn't of given the option to developers. You are so obsessed with always online MS that there has to be a reason you won't tell us.

I'm not buying your ugly xbox one anyway.

Andy Chalk:
The "always online" requirement is a point of major contention, as gamers in well-serviced areas tend to applaud the idea while those stuck with narrower pipes see it as a portent of the end-times.

I'm sorry, what?

I've got 100M to my house and I hate this idea like the devil. What gamer thinks this is a good idea?

I know why EA and Ubi want it. Don't see what's in it for us.

And that little sizzle you heard was my last shred of Xbox loyalty disintegrating.

Fuck this console shit, Im joining the PC Gaming Master Race the second Ive got the cash to build a proper rig.

Do you here that? That is the sound of microsoft being kicked out of Australia.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here