Molyneux Not Impressed by GTA V's Sales

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Ignore him and he'll go away.

TizzytheTormentor:

thiosk:
Both GTAV and these mobile titles pale in comparison to cookie clicker

commence the grandmapocalypse

Okay, why the hell is it so hard to stop playing?

OT: GTA V gives vastly more content than any mobile game, honestly, there is only so much of Happy Jump I can play before getting bored.

We call it... the clickening.

He was talking to mobile developers and only compared GTA V to mobile games to make a point. The best selling AAA title of all time for consoles does not hold candle for top casual mobile games. Like it or not Molyneux is absolutely right. He is not saying GTV 5 is a bad game or mobile games are some brilliant masterpieces. It is just that casual market is much bigger than console market and much less risky. But leave it to the fine people at escapist forums to hate the man for speaking the truth.

thiosk:

TizzytheTormentor:

thiosk:

OT: GTA V gives vastly more content than any mobile game, honestly, there is only so much of Happy Jump I can play before getting bored.

I can't stop playing it...it is the best game of all time!

10/10 Game of the Century.

TizzytheTormentor:

thiosk:

TizzytheTormentor:

I can't stop playing it...it is the best game of all time!

10/10 Game of the Century.

DO YOU ALREADY OWN A BINGO CENTER

THE REAL GAME BEGINS WITH A BINGO CENTER

YOU WILL BE JUDGED ONLY BY THE NUMBER OF COOKIES YOU PRODUCE PER SECOND

ALL HAIL THE GRANNIES

And that's how I feel about every single piece of "Big games person says x about y" news here. Seriously, who gives a flying donkey's floppy about what Molyneux has to say about GTA V than they should about anyone else?

I was going to comment what he actually said, but it's just so insubstantial and pointless my brain just fell asleep.

Wait, so you mean it's not impressive that a game (a product of an industry that still has many thinking is nothing but a child's play thing) rated for adults only in EVERY country it was released in managed to hit 1 billion dollars in 3 days?

Lets quickly do some maths, mobile games making (lets be generous) 3 million dollars a day, how long till a billion is made ...

1,000,000,000/3,000,000 = 333.33

So what takes a mobile game almost an entire year to make is more impressive than a console game managed to do in 3 days?

Peter, shut the fuck up and realise that you are a terrible game developer and need to learn to just be positive about shit that you don't do.

I think Peter might just be upset because people are caring more about Chop than your dog in Fable 2...

thats okay molyneux you have the right to not be impressed by gta Vs sales. and i have the right not to be impressed by your games. and oh boy do i exercise that right.

Any other speaker had said it and no one would be reporting it. Sad.

I don't know why anyone still listens to this guy.

As far as I'm aware, Fable is the only thing he has done of any import in the last five or ten years, and it's probably the most consistently underwhelming/shite series of this generation.

So, why then, are we still giving him the satisfaction of a reaction?

Lunar Templar:

thiosk:

i... hate you ....

I though I'd gotten away ... but no ... you ... YOU had to pull me back in ....

OT: Alright, we get that, by the ratio between cost vs. how much a game makes, GTA V cannot compare to any high selling mobile game, but Take Two is becoming a lot richer, much faster than any of these mobile games (barring Angry Birds) could ever dream of.

LMAO no way in hell will mobile games take over console games no way is that going ever fucking happen. It's stupid enough to even compare video game sales to mobile game sales in the first place since most mobile games like angry birds are only 99 cents . Not to mention the fact that more people own a smartphone than a console in the world.If angry birds was a console game only it would of not have even been noticed.Second if acthual games like GTA or Mario or other big well known franchises were being sold in the App Store for 99 cents, I would guarantee you that those games would outsell angry birds, but honestly games like GTA are just too good to be sold for a buck only on the App Store on some phone.1 billion in three days is indeed very impressive or else it wouldn't of set a new record and gaming is just getting bigger each year after year, not to mention the next gen consoles are comming and take a look at GTA V success for proof.Never in this earths lifetime will video games lose or get put out of business against phone games for a buck only that are just to entertain yourself for like 15 min while wating for a ride or meeting or just when you have nothing to do and your somewhere in public by yourself with a phone only in your hand. Thats the stupidest thing I've heard, moible games may sell alot because there just a fucking buck ,but they will never ever be taken as seriouis as a video game.

You know what? I'm surprised no one else has done this. To me, this really is what Peter Molyneaux is doing.

He's given a fair bit to the game industry, and is successful in his own right. But someone does better, so he does this.

I know why hes not impressed the trees are not growing in real time.

Peter is a bitter failure and has to "envision" else he's going to lose his cred.

Remember Milo?. I don't none does.

Games don't need a pretentious twat on stage declaring he's the best thing since sliced bread.
Games need good story's and well written and designed worlds.

He's just mad that he never released a game that was as good as was speculated to be, where as Rockstar basically exceed expectation every time.

You might want to look at the games you are peddling Mr Molyneux. Cow Clickers can bring in the big bucks, but are also can be considered addictive, have poor parental locks, and are generally considered the Nadir of gaming by dint of having little to no plot and designed to hoover cash from shumcks unsuspecting gamers.

You could even consider them more evil then GTA 5, because at least GTA's evil is from its story while your 'games' are specifically designed to be crack cocaine.

You should have also chosen a different game to extol as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2013/mar/26/apples-in-app-game-charges-kids-bills

I can say I partially agree in that I'm not impressed by the amount of copies sold since GTA has always been a big time seller. Although I don't have any idea about the games he mentioned.

Pink Gregory:

Casual Shinji:
Nothing impresses Peter unless it has the ability to fart and burp. *giggle*

And don't forget progressively age, in REAL TIME!

Oh Peter, you and your hubris.

I'm still waiting for that FUCKING TREE I was supposed to grow through the entirety of my Fable character's life.

This sounds to me like sour grapes from a man crippled With envy at sight of a franchise that actually delivers on its promises, because it shows him up in comparison as the over-egged hype merchant he really is

It is pretty hard to impress this guy if the best media launch of all time is not impressive. If a game that would be the second mosnt profitable movie would it be one (and movie industry is the largest industry in the world) is not enough to impress this guy i dont know what would. (though to be fair it woudl be the 5th most profitable movie if same returns were believed and only 2nd if we consider all money go back to rockstar, when usually its believed to be ~50%.

cerebus23:
I mean yeah CoD sold 12 million copies and GTA V already hit 13, but on the other hand Mario Kart sold 34 million copies, and i doubt they pumped +200 millions into it.

Mario Kark is a franchise so we should count whole GTA franchise, which would push it a lot since before this GTA:SA was the best selling PC game of all time with over 15 million sales, so likely over 34m consdiering all games together.
as far as Mario Kark budget, i could not find any google results with a number (didnt look for long) so i cant compare.
Another thing to mention - Mario kart (the original, not sure which you mean) has been out since 1992. GTA 5 has been out for 3 days. so yeah.
And if you really want to throw millions of copies sold go for wii sports, over a hundred millions copies of thise game left stores, pretty much all bundled with Wii so how many of them actually got played is another question though (but same thing with super mario bros and we know that one did got played).

Adraeus:

Yeah, you do, actually. AAA just isn't sustainable. How many developers can spend $265M on production? How many publishers will now be chasing after Take-Two's success? And how many developers will fold because that success can't be as easily imitated?

except that Rockstar is a living proof that it is. They are basically making big budged AAA games all the time, work on valve time and turn in huge profits. Consistently. And i dont remember them making a loss ever.
The key thing is - they make good games. not only expensive ones. they take 265 millions and make a 265 million worth game, while others take 100 million and make 10 million worth game.
Of course there will be plenty of games trying to imitate like there was after San Andreas sucess. and you know what, even for financial failure that they were, some of them were quite fun to play (just cause) and some even grew as big and found their niche (sanits row).
AAA isnt bad when its done well.

Another thing to note is while yes the profit curve is steep, you have to realize that they only utilized 2 plantforms out of total of 6 they can. while they did say no to WiiU i believe that still leaves PC, Xbone and PS4 to make new profit even after the current console one will dry out.

He's just saying that ongoing revenue for low-production cost software is impressive. To say that GTA V getting $1 billion in a short time (albeit long since he underestimated sales) isn't impressive was just silly. I think he's just trying to motivate them but chose the wrong topic to do it. Should have used something like Square Enix's Sleeping Dogs/Tomb Raider/Hitman games selling millions of units and still taking a loss.

Man, I'm beginning to feel more and more like developer's work should be seen but they should not be heard.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here