Update: Ubisoft Alleges Fraud, Watch Dogs Trademark Restored

Pages PREV 1 2

chimeracreator:

Therumancer:

From the perspective of the guys at the top of Ubisoft, if caught they could do like any other major corporation, produce some sacrificial lamb and throw it under the bus. Let's say hypothetically Yves Guillimot masterminded this himself along with some other big wigs who all agree this is a genius advertising move, and it backfires and Ubisoft becomes officially suspected of causing the problem, all Yves will do is say "we conducted an investigation and have concluded my signature was forged by middle manager Smithers, who we are very disappointed with and will now be firing" followed by them, as the presumed victims, choosing not to pursue the criminal charges too vigorously. Middle Manager Smithers then is in the position of either prattling off some huge conspiracy theory, or more likely will simply "take it for the team" in exchange for a sweet envelope of cash waiting for him when he gets out for taking the fall (which Ubisoft will gladly pay, simply because if people get paid well it makes them willing to fall on the swords for a good payday when the CEOS ask... an old corporate technique).

I don't think you quiet understand how these investigations work and I also think you overestimate the amount of political clout that Ubisoft has. Since this is a criminal matter it is highly unlikely Ubisoft would be allowed to perform their own investigation and hand over the person they thought was guilty. More likely than not (assuming jurisdiction wasn't an issue, which it would be as they are a French company) it would go more along the line of,

"Hey, we think something might be up and the French government agreed to give us your mail server. So yeah, we're going to be copying all of the content from all of your email over the relevant time frame. If you have a backup we can just copy that, but if not then congrats your email system is offline until we're done cloning what we need. We're also going to be seizing Yves Guillemot's work and home computers along with any phones or tablets he has along with any other people that might be associated with this case, and who the French government agreed to give us a warrant for."

Ideally that is how it would work, on the other hand how often does this actually happen with white collar criminals? Not very often. When there is enough money involved you don't need huge amounts of direct political clout, all a big company has to do is provide a sacrificial lamb to take the blame publically. It's an expectation that those who run companies worth tens of millions of dollars have engrained into them.

That said, it's very true that it's pretty stupid, but at the same time when you look at Method, Motive, and Opportunity who else except for Ubisoft has all of those three things, as skewed as the risk/reward equasion is. Given the lack of anyone taking credit for this as part of a power trip (and the motivation of infamy within certain circles) it's hard to come up with any way that anyone except for Ubisoft could potentially gain anything at all from this. One would think the press wouldn't be worth the potential investigations and penalties, since even a sacrificial lamb usually needs to be paid off, and really I can't see the value of this press being that high, but still at the end of the day this happened, and the person who did it had to have a reason. Unless more information comes up so it makes sense, I'm going to suspect Ubisoft simply due to a process of elimination, since there is really nobody else with anything approaching a motive for this.

Therumancer:

That said, it's very true that it's pretty stupid, but at the same time when you look at Method, Motive, and Opportunity who else except for Ubisoft has all of those three things, as skewed as the risk/reward equasion is. Given the lack of anyone taking credit for this as part of a power trip (and the motivation of infamy within certain circles) it's hard to come up with any way that anyone except for Ubisoft could potentially gain anything at all from this. One would think the press wouldn't be worth the potential investigations and penalties, since even a sacrificial lamb usually needs to be paid off, and really I can't see the value of this press being that high, but still at the end of the day this happened, and the person who did it had to have a reason. Unless more information comes up so it makes sense, I'm going to suspect Ubisoft simply due to a process of elimination, since there is really nobody else with anything approaching a motive for this.

That's where I think you have it backwards. If you look at odds of getting caught a random Joe Shmoe who wants some laughs and just mails this from a random post box with Ubisoft's return address is virtually impossible to catch. You can't trace it back through the post system effectively to an individual so you're pretty much SOL. If it was an electronic submission that might be a bit trickier, but throw in an anonymous out of country proxy service that doesn't keep records and you're golden.

The only risk comes from talking about it, which is how most of these people get caught. Once you narrow down the list of suspects to a few machines that can be seized digital forensics can do some amazing things, but before then? Good luck, which is why a move like this would be a terrible publicity stunt because they would be the most at risk of being discovered if a real investigation occurs since if nothing else, the feds would want access to their system (voluntarily provided) to see if they were hacked.

So what are the odds this was just a publicity stunt?

If not then this is a rather interesting development, I hope to see more of this happening, whoever is doing this please keep fucking with gaming companies. The Internet thanks you for your efforts.

Legion:

Living_Brain:
"The development won't be affected" -Ubisoft

"I hope the development isn't affected!" -Readers

The part mentioning the development not being affected was in an update. The people who posted about it being delayed most likely posted it before that update.

They were from after the update. The post right before mine is one of them, and that was less than an hour before me.

Huh this game just keeps running into more walls doesn't it?

Shame cause it looks alright, not that I'm interested in it since its made by Ubisoft and an announcement around it suggested it will become a massive yearly sequel exploitation, so that killed the little enthusiasm I had,

Oh well hopefully it all gets sorted out and the game turns out to be amazing, because I could sure use a good game right now and WatchDogs has potential

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here