Moderation FAQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Something to add: The low-content posts is a misnomer, it's all about the number of words. I.E. if it can be said in less than two sentences, you'll get an infraction, no matter how much it's worth saying. Repeat yourself but use slightly different wording to make that glass barrier.

DaHero:
Something to add: The low-content posts is a misnomer, it's all about the number of words. I.E. if it can be said in less than two sentences, you'll get an infraction, no matter how much it's worth saying. Repeat yourself but use slightly different wording to make that glass barrier.

That's because this isn't correct. Low content means exactly what it says on the tin. Low content - of insufficient content to be worth posting. For the most part low content is reserved for posts such as "this", "+1", image macros and such. If you think a post was punished unfairly, if you think the post in question does have content, you may politely appeal the decision (as mentioned in the FAQ), and it will be reviewed.

The idea that the "low content" rule is based on number of words or "length" of the written content is, I assure you, absurd. I've personally cleared one liners and "few words" posts as fine and punished posts with several lines of redundant soliloquy for the sake of inflating a post's visual size. The two are not connected.

That said, if you honestly believe your post is legit, well, it's possible we might have made a mistake. That's why the appeal system exists.

NewClassic:

War Penguin:
How exactly do you become a mod?

Normally the Directorate doesn't like me telling the secret formula, but since you asked so politely, I'll let you in on our secret techniques. Keep in mind this all has to be done in a very specific order, and only under the most pristine circumstances.

To start, the first thing you need to do is find the nearest mountain; pack only food, water, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a fresh change of clothes, and begin your hike. Keep in mind, if the nearest mountain is several states or countries away, so be it. It will be a long hike. Be careful to only wear shoes with rubber soles and toes, as steel-toe boots or flip-flops anger the Mountain Gods. Your trip will be long and arduous. This is normal.

Once you arrive at the summit, the Mountain Gods will survey you from on high. If they like your performance during the hike, they will smile down on you. This is good. If they dislike your performance, they'll unleash the Mountain Krakens. This is not good. Be cautious of Mountain Krakens. For best results, pepper yourself liberally with sweat and lemon juice before facing the Mountain Gods, and do not drive for at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. This includes getting to the mountain.

Once you have the blessing of the Mountain Gods, you should return to your home and post the first message that comes to you head in the first thread that catches your eye in Off-Topic. Keep in mind that the Mountain Gods' blessing will be filling your spirit, and their mysterious ways may move through you during posting. If you find yourself more eloquent, less patient, and/or more lumberjack during this particular post, don't worry. This is normal.

One of the Mountain Gods, Nasrin, will immediately recognize this post and put you on the list of eligibles. Here is the most crucial step. Upon suspicion that you're under consideration, begin posting in such a way that the leftmost column of letters spells out a word or phrase in every post. This will take some effort, but the Mountain God Nasrin will reward you ultimately, so stand strong.

After a two month trial period, and a background check through the Redundant Department of Redundancy, you'll be contacted with the good news in four to six business years.

Ahh yes, I remember the trek well. To be fair, I refused to leave my steel caps behind. Threatening to kick one of the Gods in the unmentionable if I was barred for awesome fucking boots worked a treat. I don't think it could happen twice however, and no-one else has quite my force of personality to pull it off.

Of course, dear Escapist Commoners, getting a modship is only the beginning of the battle. It is the intro quest in a game so powerful that few, even among the Mountain Gods comprehend all the details. The side-quests are long and arduous. There's even upkeep to be performed in ones home base which requires co-operation lest it become overwhelming. In many ways modding is like playing Dorf Fortress with your hands in mittens and sunglasses on. For a time you will be in control. Power and resources will be yours.

Then the cats. Oh. The cats. The cats will come. There is a reason I weild a BanSword.

GeorgW:
*snip*

I've been staring at that badge of yours for a number of weeks now and in the interest of this faq I am compelled to follow it's instruction.

What make and model is your banhammer, and must you often use to beat back the seething mass of women whom are naturally drawn to it's power?

KeyMaster45:

GeorgW:
*snip*

I've been staring at that badge of yours for a number of weeks now and in the interest of this faq I am compelled to follow it's instruction.

What make and model is your banhammer, and must you often use to beat back the seething mass of women whom are naturally drawn to it's power?

The mighty banhammer is custom made, all of the mods here are given one made especially for them by the mountain Gods once they've completed their quest (for more on this check NewClassic's previous post, the dummy let out the secret >.<).
And as for the second part of your question, I use it more often to ward off women than I do banning people. It's that alluring.
Of course, my personal banhammer is widely regarded as the most beautiful and powerful one.

I guess it's about time for me to come out with it...

Nasrin:

What a mighty ban hammer, I should probably avoid that especially since you probably use the spike to ban people. Now all you need is matching armor and you can become the invincible mod that everyone fears.

Nasrin:

When you first said that I thought you were referring to a toy hammer like the one Archon has for reinforcing the troops. My how wrong I was.

Zombie_Fish:

Nasrin:

When you first said that I thought you were referring to a toy hammer like the one Archon has for reinforcing the troops. My how wrong I was.

*booming mod voice*

FEAR MY HAMMER!

*dink*

Nas, you know I love you and everything, can I get a bigger hammer please?

Labyrinth:

Wow, you guys had to go through all of that, I went through the traditional origins route and got bitten by a radioactive banhammer.

Spoilered for cleanlyness, remember children, spoiler's are like purell for the internet!.

ColdStorage:
*booming mod voice*

FEAR MY HAMMER!

*dink*

Why do that? You know what they said about guys with big banhammers right?

...and that is totally unrelated to why I used a rocket-propelled banchainsaw. <.< >.>

We have an amnesty system for that. After six 6 months without any infractions, your forum health meter will drop a level. After two years without any infractions your forum health meter will reset. Keep in mind that although it is possible to reset your FHM, your infraction history remains, and will be taken into consideration if ever another infraction is made.

If your going to take previous infractions into consideration even when somebody has wiped clean their health bar, doesn't that make the bar itself kind of redundant?

bahumat42:
We have an amnesty system for that. After six 6 months without any infractions, your forum health meter will drop a level. After two years without any infractions your forum health meter will reset. Keep in mind that although it is possible to reset your FHM, your infraction history remains, and will be taken into consideration if ever another infraction is made.

If your going to take previous infractions into consideration even when somebody has wiped clean their health bar, doesn't that make the bar itself kind of redundant?

Nah its cool, your thinking to much in a manner that a computer and a programmed algorithm would think.

If someone 3 years down the line after completely wipes clean there ban history we still need to know previous offences, just to know what they are capable of.

We will not prejudice against them, the forum cannot prejudice them, its merely a reference point for us to take into account.

Zombie_Fish:

ColdStorage:
*booming mod voice*

FEAR MY HAMMER!

*dink*

Why do that? You know what they said about guys with big banhammers right?

...and that is totally unrelated to why I used a rocket-propelled banchainsaw. <.< >.>

They are awesome and I love them?

I almost want to be a mod just so I can get a Banweapon and join in with story-telling and shizz. But that'd be a bad idea...
*glares at his Laziness*

ColdStorage:

Zombie_Fish:

Nasrin:

*booming mod voice*

FEAR MY HAMMER!

*dink*

You should aim for the mighty Hammer Drill!

By the way, do you guys require user reports to deal judgment or do you warn/suspend/ban/nuke users you come across in the forums if you deem it necessary, even if no one has reported them yet?

Yes, I have a question: Why did I get a 14-day suspension for insulting a mod ON A COMPLETE DIFFERENT FORUM AND WEBSITE? It was made clear that in my post that it wasn't about here and in my next post on that same thread I said very clearly that the mods here were cool and were not jerks.

I have yet to see anything that says insulting a mod from a different website is against the rules.

I would like an explanation, please.

SirBryghtside:

The Virgo:
Yes, I have a question: Why did I get a 14-day suspension for insulting a mod ON A COMPLETE DIFFERENT FORUM AND WEBSITE? It was made clear that in my post that it wasn't about here and in my next post on that same thread I said very clearly that the mods here were cool and were not jerks.

I have yet to see anything that says insulting a mod from a different website is against the rules.

...what the hell? That suspension's ridiculous!

What does the mod message say? And did you take it up with them through the official channel?

"Flaming/trolling" ... Uh, no? How? The point of the tread (which was one I started to begin with) was "Crazient/Oddest/Worst Userbase on a Forum?" That was the point.

"and creating hatred towards another community." What I said about them was the God's honest truth. Anytime a mod says they will ban you when you don't have any infraction points and, I quote, this is not a joke, "... send an email to all those involved and say "See, I TOLD you so!", he is overstepping his boundaries and would have been harrasment. Then, when you report him to an admin and he says that he WAS NOT and then begins to insult you, they are douches. "Creating hatred towards another community"? No, I was warning THIS ONE to STAY AWAY from them.

SirBryghtside:

The Virgo:
*snip*

I think you could easily have got that removed, and can easily now. It's repeatedly been stated that groups can be insulted, individuals can't - and you were insulting a group, not an individual.

Ah shit, THAT'S where the problem is! I did actually specifically mention the admin who insulted me. Ah well, for a moment there I thought I had them beat. <:-(

I hate to have initiated this conversation with you for nothing, but I do want to thank you for trying to help me. :-) Anyway, good luck and thanks for pointing out where the problem was.

-Dragmire-:

By the way, do you guys require user reports to deal judgment or do you warn/suspend/ban/nuke users you come across in the forums if you deem it necessary, even if no one has reported them yet?

A reported post is not required to incur our ire and wrath, if the comment breaches the rules then it doesn't matter how we come across it, we will deal with it accordingly.

The Virgo:

Have you made an appeal?

First thing you need to do is make an appeal, bitching about it gets you no where and your just speculating now, with isn't conducing to this thread or your argument.

Also, this isn't the place to appeal, if you would like to discuss this via PM you are quite welcome too.

ColdStorage:
Have you made an appeal?

First thing you need to do is make an appeal, bitching about it gets you no where and your just speculating now, with isn't conducing to this thread or your argument.

Also, this isn't the place to appeal, if you would like to discuss this via PM you are quite welcome too.

I did, actually, less than 12 hours after the infraction, and I never got an answer. That's why I posted here. And since I wouldn't know which mod to PM, I just figured that ALL the mods (including yourself) would check here and would find my post. Hey, it worked, right? :-)

Buy, like another user pointed out, the problem was that I mentioned a specific admin, which is what got me in hot water, so I guess I don't have a case. <:-/ Ah well, at least the infraction meter can go down, so I guess I'll have to be careful for awhile ...

Thanks for replying, though! :-) It's good to know that when you need a mod, there are some around.

Oh, I also have an unrelated question that's more on-topic: Is it possible for a moderator to receive warnings?

The Virgo:

ColdStorage:
Have you made an appeal?

I did, actually, less than 12 hours after the infraction, and I never got an answer. That's why I posted here. And since I wouldn't know which mod to PM, I just figured that ALL the mods (including yourself) would check here and would find my post. Hey, it worked, right? :-)

Buy, like another user pointed out, the problem was that I mentioned a specific admin, which is what got me in hot water, so I guess I don't have a case. <:-/ Ah well, at least the infraction meter can go down, so I guess I'll have to be careful for awhile ...

Thanks for replying, though! :-) It's good to know that when you need a mod, there are some around.

Oh, I also have an unrelated question that's more on-topic: Is it possible for a moderator to receive warnings?

From what I've seen, mods don't reieve the kind of warnings we do. If a mod were to get in trouble they would get warned by the staff. So basically to answer your question: yes they do get warnings, but mod accounts do not have a forum health meter like we do. However, once that mod retires or gives up on being a mod then they do get forum health meters and can recieve infractions that cause the meter to go up. Is that about right @ColdStorage or am I mistaken?

The Virgo:

In future if you have problems with moderation in general Nasrin is your go to girl, she our awesome Community Manager and the guardian of baby turtles.

Sorry for cutting down your quote, I'll answer your other question by quoting Neronium

Neronium:

From what I've seen, mods don't reieve the kind of warnings we do. If a mod were to get in trouble they would get warned by the staff. So basically to answer your question: yes they do get warnings, but mod accounts do not have a forum health meter like we do. However, once that mod retires or gives up on being a mod then they do get forum health meters and can recieve infractions that cause the meter to go up. Is that about right @ColdStorage or am I mistaken?

The Moderators are not immune, if we step out of line the same rules applies to us as the rest of the community, but chances are we are a lot less likely to explode, we deal with arguments most days so instead of making things worse we tend to diffuse situations.

That and we are really hard on each other and constantly critique ourselves, NewClassic's motto, if in doubt, ask a question, ask 50 of them.

We also sometimes get things wrong in terms of moderation, that's when we get a dreaded PM from Nasrin telling us off.

So to answer your final question, once we retire, same rules applies, but like I said before we are less likely to be taken in by flamebait.

edit: we do have health meters, I can show you if you want by warning myself.

Jedamethis:
I almost want to be a mod just so I can get a Banweapon and join in with story-telling and shizz. But that'd be a bad idea...
*glares at his Laziness*

That's the best part of being a mod, we get given a weapon to smite trolls with, although having to have eyeball implants to deal with the report queue is quite painful.

I got myself a shiny BanBow, Wilson smites with his Sausage on a Stick, LaCoil has the BanMop and UltraJoe had the Dominator.

Warning the following contains scenes of awesome, The Escapist is not liable for symptons resulting from watching the following such as Ultraness, head explosions and sudden death.

ColdStorage:
*snippity snip snip*

Ah, I see. Thanks for elaborating on that for us both.

So do you have to be a moderator in order to create threads? Sorry for the(possibly)dumb question, but in my two months here, I have never been able to make a thread even though I have a couple of ideas in my head.

Also, can moderators be banned as well? They're posters as well and if they start a flame war, or disrespect a fellow escapist, shouldn't they also be punished too? This never happened to me, just a random thought.

ColdStorage:

Jedamethis:
*glares at his Laziness*

That's the best part of being a mod, we get given a weapon to smite trolls with, although having to have eyeball implants to deal with the report queue is quite painful.

I got myself a shiny BanBow, Wilson smites with his Sausage on a Stick, LaCoil has the BanMop and UltraJoe had the Dominator.

Warning the following contains scenes of awesome, The Escapist is not liable for symptons resulting from watching the following such as Ultraness, head explosions and sudden death.

I remember somebody has an Un-Ban Spatula in their cupboard. Gathering dust. :P
Who was it who had the BanSMop? A mop with a sword in the handle...

...Buh. Wha. Floob. *brain has become overwhelmed with HOLY SHIT messages*

Shadow flame master:
So do you have to be a moderator in order to create threads? Sorry for the(possibly)dumb question, but in my two months here, I have never been able to make a thread even though I have a couple of ideas in my head.

Also, can moderators be banned as well? They're posters as well and if they start a flame war, or disrespect a fellow escapist, shouldn't they also be punished too? This never happened to me, just a random thought.

Create away young child, create away, you have the capability to create threads.

Mods can get banned, we wouldn't cause shit though and start a flame war though.

We love this site, we love this community, we don't actually want to cause harm.

Well, its nice to have these things clarified, I still think that 6 months is too long for the health bar to recharge, 2 or 3 months makes more sense, I mean I've seen more then a few long time members banned for rather trivial infractions just because the health bar filled up.

NewClassic:

GeorgW:
How does one become a moderator?

You do not come to us, we come to you. If you do right by this community and show that you know the rules and how to handle yourself, we will find you. Keep in mind that it is tough work, and it may not be as fun as you might expect.

Genuinely, just post as you normally would and act as you normally do. Moderation is one of those things that shows itself as a function of being a positive influence and maintaining good posting habits. It's not enough to push the rules, or to command they be followed, but instead act as a positive example of them in how you think, act, and do.

Modding is just a way to give back to the community. It's not power, it's responsibility. If you work and act in the community's best interest, and for the overall improvement of the forum, then you'll become a likely candidate for moderation. Candidacy is just that, though. No one can say a single way, for better or worse, to become a mod. It's just in the doing, and the being, and hopefully being helpful to everyone along the way.

It's mostly just a lot of work.

You said that moderators are for the community, and for awhile i have been kicking around the idea of a Moderator nomination thread and i was wondering if that was against the forum rules?

Lang901:

You said that moderators are for the community, and for awhile i have been kicking around the idea of a Moderator nomination thread and i was wondering if that was against the forum rules?

It'd just turn into a popularity contest, like the majority of threads where you put forwards someone does. I can think of a few people of the top of my head that would get put forward immediately and have about ten people to back up that suggestion and jealousy/flames would spread.

So, while it's not against forum rules, I wouldn't advise it unless you want a flame war topic on your hands.

Lang901:

Sassafrass pretty much hit the nail on the head for this one. It's going to be a lot of people voting for their friends, and a lot of people disagreeing. I can see it ending up a lot like the community spotlight comment threads, actually.

Sadly, the question is well out of my paygrade. That's a question that's better suited for for the Mountain God Nasrin.

NewClassic:

Lang901:

Sassafrass pretty much hit the nail on the head for this one. It's going to be a lot of people voting for their friends, and a lot of people disagreeing. I can see it ending up a lot like the community spotlight comment threads, actually.

Sadly, the question is well out of my paygrade. That's a question that's better suited for for the Mountain God Nasrin.

Can I nominate you Nukey?

I've got the BanBow, LaCoil has her BanMop, but you have somehow managed to weaponize literature

weaponized... literature

ColdStorage:
weaponized... literature

Commander Markus hated how squat blast bunkers were. To keep the structure stable, they had to be, but that didn't make his neck hurt any less while he had to be in one. The soldier immediately to his left barked, "Haiku Bomb ready for demonstration, sir!"

Markus sounded bored, "Very well, fire."

"Preparing. Bomb dropping in three... Two..."

The missile made a hollow whumping sound as it launched from the base. The cylinder traveled the previously planned thousand yards, and began its descent. With small cracks, three unique bomb clusters flew through the air. The bombs hit ground in brief sequences. Five short explosions rocked the plain, dragging huge clouds of dust into the air in a tight grouping. Another seven explosions rattled the door of the blast shelter, now filling the width of the plain in an enormous dust plume. Inside, five flashes of light illuminated the interior of the dust cloud, followed swiftly by an indistinct crack of five more explosions. The entire procedure took less than a pair of seconds, but the plain outside was devastated.

After the dust started to settle outside, the solider spoke quietly. "The explosions. Patterned for destruction. Explosive haiku."

Markus thought to himself. That was four, six, five... "Excellent work, lieutenant. Anything else on demonstration today?"

"No sir. We normally would have a Shakespearian bomb prepared, but someone tabled that development until we could action a better set of sanctions."

"Very good. Carry on, lieutenant."

The lieutenant saluted, and opened the door for the commander. They both departed in silence.

I've noticed a number of posts recently that go along the lines of:

I prefer such-and-such.

These words here so I don't get hit with the low content rule.

I shouldn't have to tell you how asinine this is. It seems to me that a lot of users don't have a clear idea what would constitute a low content post, so they're operating under the assumption that it's a certain amount of words and are padding out their posts with pointless... shit, for lack of a better word.

I see that Caliostro has already mentioned the mod's stance on the rule, but the low content listing in the Code of Conduct and even in this FAQ still remains as vague as ever. People shouldn't have to dig through a thread to find out the stance taken on the actual rules, the rules should say that themselves. The fact that so many people misunderstand it means that the rule itself doesn't do a good job of that.

Can we start having megathreads for popular subjects like highly anticipated game releases? One big thread has to be better than a dozen others that do nothing but push other threads off the front couple of pages. Right now with Skyrim it's getting to the point where there are more threads on the front page of the Games forum about that one game than not. Sure it'll die down in a week or two but having a megathread will save us a lot of thread spam until then.

Pearwood:
Can we start having megathreads for popular subjects like highly anticipated game releases? One big thread has to be better than a dozen others that do nothing but push other threads off the front couple of pages. Right now with Skyrim it's getting to the point where there are more threads on the front page of the Games forum about that one game than not. Sure it'll die down in a week or two but having a megathread will save us a lot of thread spam until then.

I can see the usefulness of it, but it's note entirely functional. Sometimes people will want to discuss things from different angles, or with people with similar experiences. Maybe some want a spoiler free thread and another wants to discuss the ending at length? If there are several threads on the same specific subject we'll merge them, but for something that's as big as Skyrim there are just too many things to discuss. That said, feel free to make a general discussion thread about Skyrim and see if it reduces the Skyrim threads.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here