Is Resident evil 7 best RE game ever? if so why?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello

so my friends, I have played numerous resident evil games. and i always been disappointed after each. including the most fan favorite resident evil 4. i found them all mediocre until capcom released resident evil 7 which is great. and best in series. my biggest surprised of this year.

heres my detail analysis of why Resident evil 7 is best.

Gameplay - First and foremost lets talk about gameplay mechanics. the core gameplay mechanics is previous resident evil has been mediocre. and then resident evil 6 was released. they had drop the ball. it becoming call of duty with zombies in third person with QTE. and the controlling of previous resi games were also awful resident evil 7 did best gameplay in series by simply having best controls. the going from third person to first person really help the series for making it more immersive. the puzzles are clever too.

Story - Resident evil games always have bad stories. and even popular characters like leon and chris they are all shallow. when it comes to story resident evil 7 did best. ethan winters may not shown but he has more personality than other resi protagonist. the whole baker family saga was incredible.

Atmosphere - Another category where resident evil 7 shine. compare to any other games in series. the atmosphere in resi 7 is amazing. and first person camera really help it. imo third person is immersion breaking camera. as i was playing evil within 2 and i was not immersed in the world like i was immersed in resi 7.

so here it is my friends, what capcom did was to take mediocre and overrated franchise. and make a great game into it. and for this alone. my respect for capcom increased.

i mean even after resi 4. fans hated 5 and 6. and 7 was more like 6 in early development as action game but later scrap it to back series back to horror roots. and it works.

so my friends, what do you think? is it best RE game ever made? or disappointing? lets discuss

Resident Evil 7 is an odd one for me because I've played it with and without VR and the helmet adds so much, especially if you play with headphones. I haven't gotten this stressed out by a game since the early days of playing Blood late at night as a young teeenager. I don't want to overstate how cool VR is because it's not yet perfect and if you get motion sickness, practically unusable but the two experiences are very different.

Anyway, I don't know if it is the "best RE evar" since the series likes to reinvent itself and so comparing games becomes difficult. They definitely got back to the "survival" aspect of survival horror with this one, at least the first half.

The voice acting is...sometimes better than most of the others but that isn't much of a bar to jump. I don't really agree that Ethan has much personality though and his voice actor isn't that great either. He's just a stand in for the player and since we are just thrown into the game, there is no real connection to his wife either. No backstory given, just, she's been missing, go get her. The game shines with the rednecks obviously, who are incredibly creepy antagonists, so well done there Capcom.

I also like the video tapes as a way of reliving other people's experiences in the house. That was a nifty way to get through the son's maze bit, by experiencing it once already as a victim.

But the best? I don't know. Depends on what you want. The HD re-releases of Zero and 1 are decent and 2 was my first so I have a soft spot for it. The generations of them (1 - 3 & Code Veronica, 4 - 6) are too different to effectively compare to one another IMHO. But yeah, Resident Evil 7 is pretty fuckin' good. One of the more legit unnerving games I've played in a good while.

Hmmm, difficult question. I'm having a hard time deciding what my favorite brand of ludicrousness is:

Leon Kennedy german supplexing parasite-infested cultist monks so hard their heads explode.

Or Joe Baker punching mold-monsters clear across the room with a power fist[1].

[1] Ok, that's DLC, but whatever, I say it counts and it's not like the base game doesn't have goofy shit. It's Resi Evil after all.

Well, you have to define what a 'good RE' game is. Cause my favorite is definately RE5, but cause its fun to play and has co-op. Buuuuut that may disqualify it from best -RE- game. It certainly wasnt scary, though I think much of the horror of the franchise is less spooky and more fear of being in a shitty situation gameplay-wise. (The idea of needing a finite item to save alone is scary enough to me in that regard)

(I also think alot of people hypocritically praise RE4, but bash 5 and 6, when 5 and 6 just expanded on what 4 was)

Edit: RE7 also seems too not an RE game, and when you do add in the RE stuff, like Chris and Umbrella...it kinda spoils the tone.

Not the best but definitely one of the best. The best I would still consider to be RE4 since it's such a timeless classic and the gameplay remains fun even 13 years later. Next would be RE Remake followed closely by RE2 which I think aged a bit more poorly. Then came 12 years of disappointments followed by RE7 which I really loved. It mixed the best elements of Outlast with Condemned while still remaining that unique RE flavor.

When I first played RE1 on my Saturn I felt like I was playing something special, it felt like a unique experience.

Now with Resident Evil 7 it's chasing the popularity of all the other first person horror games. It's a very good first person horror game but I kind of felt that I'd played it before.

The Resident Evil franchise has been a trend chaser for a while now.

RE7 was probably the greatest RE game since the original. I think RE7 really captured the spirit of what the original really tried to do. Sadly the RE series as a whole, seems to feel the need to fuck itself over with the last 3rd of the game and RE7 is no different. Capcom doesn't seem to grasp the concept that there doesn't always NEED to be an explaination for things. They tried so hard to make this convoluted plot as to why the zombies were happening and then they had to make that plot crazier and crazier every game afterward. When RE1 could have been a perfect game by just solving the puzzles of this huge mansion that happened to have zombies and shit in it. If you escaped at the end of the game with no reason for how or why there were monsters in that house, the game would have been perfect and it still could have set up RE2 just fine.

Saelune:

(I also think alot of people hypocritically praise RE4, but bash 5 and 6, when 5 and 6 just expanded on what 4 was)

I never got that either, I see RE4 as the game that made the series spiral downwards (Even though I enjoyed RE5).

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Saelune:

I never got that either, I see RE4 as the game that made the series spiral downwards (Even though I enjoyed RE5).

I agree. resident evil 4 was one of the most overrated game ever. then they released resi 5 and 6 where 6 is worst by far.

Resi 7 is huge stepforward.

Saelune:

Well, let's start with that RE5 was way shorter than 4, and unless you were into co-op, the game had very little going for it. The only thing it properly expanded on was the ability to strafe and in-game weapon swapping, though it's very, VERY questionable whether the latter was worth the loss of the attache case. Apart from that it was a lesser game on the whole, in both level design, monster design, action sequences, and just charisma.

And RE6 was just... toxic garbage. Just the intro alone is nausiatingly shit, where it throws whatever clich?d action game trope it can at the player, by way of the worst possible gameplay implementation. The controls are terrible, the camera is too close to the character, the running animation is laughable, and the hud is designed by an alien.

These games expanded little to nothing on the formula that 4 started, they just milked it with a clumsy, greasy hand.

As for RE7... I like my Resident Evil's to have a decent variety of monsters in them. Seeing that 7 just had black goop monsters was probably the final nail in the coffin that came to be by making it a first-person indie horror. If there's one genre I despise currently, it's that one. Being weak, faceless guy running around some house while something overpowered in chasing you, only to have some disorienting scripted animation play out once you get grabbed, is 100 times more frustrating to me than it is even one tiny bit scary.

Capcom can't do shit anymore, they're like a beached whale. As someone already mentioned, they can only chase trends now, badly, and Resident Evil is their poster boy. We'll see if Monster Hunter World can bring back some goodwill.

I prefer Resident Evil Remake, Zero, and Outbreak era thank you.

Samtemdo8:
I prefer Resident Evil Remake, Zero, and Outbreak era thank you.

This. I'd add the old school games from CV backwards to that as well.

RE7 is good, no question. I like it much more than 4, 5 or 6. But without item boxes, zombies/hunters, fixed/semi-fixed camera angles and/or tank controls, it's just not the same, man. I also would have liked more locked doors/item puzzles.

As far as old school survival horror goes, my vote is always cast between the first and second games.
Regarding the more modern vein of the series (4 and onwards), RE4 remains the indisputable better game. RE5 is essentially the same game, just shorter, with a dumber "take me seriously" plot and forced co-op that's no fun if you don't have a buddy. I never saw a reason to prefer it over RE4. And RE6 is formless garbage: murky, wonky, inconsistente, awkward and generally ugly.

Nah, I still prefer classic ones with fixed camera angles.

Saelune:

This. RE4 is the same as 5 and 6 but with shittier controls.

Casual Shinji:

Saelune:

Well, let's start with that RE5 was way shorter than 4, and unless you were into co-op, the game had very little going for it. The only thing it properly expanded on was the ability to strafe and in-game weapon swapping, though it's very, VERY questionable whether the latter was worth the loss of the attache case. Apart from that it was a lesser game on the whole, in both level design, monster design, action sequences, and just charisma.

And RE6 was just... toxic garbage. Just the intro alone is nausiatingly shit, where it throws whatever clich?d action game trope it can at the player, by way of the worst possible gameplay implementation. The controls are terrible, the camera is too close to the character, the running animation is laughable, and the hud is designed by an alien.

These games expanded little to nothing on the formula that 4 started, they just milked it with a clumsy, greasy hand.

As for RE7... I like my Resident Evil's to have a decent variety of monsters in them. Seeing that 7 just had black goop monsters was probably the final nail in the coffin that came to be by making it a first-person indie horror. If there's one genre I despise currently, it's that one. Being weak, faceless guy running around some house while something overpowered in chasing you, only to have some disorienting scripted animation play out once you get grabbed, is 100 times more frustrating to me than it is even one tiny bit scary.

Capcom can't do shit anymore, they're like a beached whale. As someone already mentioned, they can only chase trends now, badly, and Resident Evil is their poster boy. We'll see if Monster Hunter World can bring back some goodwill.

This whole post, seconded. I never even got close to finishing RE7. Boring.

Well, its not really a resident evil game. Its Outlast YouTuber bait. I mean its actually a little gross how obviously its ripping off more modern survival horror games. I half expect Resident Evil 8 to take place in a Pizzeria, with evil animitronic bears attacking you, and everyone like totes amazed at this clever and new take on horror, and also it has slenderman and 'self-aware' anime girls changing the script.

As far as best, nah. It's better than most, but most RE games are utter dog shit. 1 was okay, better in the remake, 0 was okay, 2 was okay, 4 was the best and Outbreak was neat.
The 20 something others? Not so much.

Major_Tom:

Saelune:

Agreed! 4, 5 and 6 were mainly for people who enjoy action-shooters. If you are a fan who doesn't like that style, those games completely isolate you.

Definitely not the best. In fact I'd rate it as one of the worst. As a Resident Evil game, it's just bad, as a horror game it's just ok. At least better than all the hide-and-seek horror games that dominated the genre this past generation. I did like the story actually, but did not care for the protagonist or those close to him. Atmosphere is pretty well done. I did not appreciate the shift to 1st person, that's what really made it not feel like an RE game to me.

I know I'm definitely an outlier because I loved RE6, in fact I'd rate it right up there with 4 and 5 as being one of the best. I'm not sure why it gets flak for the controls because it's the best controlling RE game there is - once you get the hang of it, you can sprint and quick turn, dodge roll in any direction, or just jump/dive onto your back and start shooting at incoming enemies, while rolling left and right, set up crazy melee finishers...which other game allows you such flexibility with such fluency? NONE, in fact, except maybe MGS4 and 5.

I also loved Revelations 1 and 2. I'm an overall RE fan, so I've played nearly all the games except a few like Code Veronica and operation raccoon city.

Back on topic though, I appreciate the RE7 tried to revamp the whole formula, but without the characters and 3rd person/fixed camera, it just didn't really feel like RE to me. Maybe I'll wait a little longer to see if it ties in more to the rest of the universe.

Silentpony:
Well, its not really a resident evil game. Its Outlast YouTuber bait. I mean its actually a little gross how obviously its ripping off more modern survival horror games. I half expect Resident Evil 8 to take place in a Pizzeria, with evil animitronic bears attacking you, and everyone like totes amazed at this clever and new take on horror, and also it has slenderman and 'self-aware' anime girls changing the script.

As far as best, nah. It's better than most, but most RE games are utter dog shit. 1 was okay, better in the remake, 0 was okay, 2 was okay, 4 was the best and Outbreak was neat.

There is a huge ass difference between inspired by and a rip off, its not like Resident Evil 7's gameplay can be bogged down to stealth or running away.

PapaGreg096:

Silentpony:

There is a huge ass difference between inspired by and a rip off, its not like Resident Evil 7's gameplay can be bogged down to stealth or running away.

Yes, they added combat and other Resident Evil trappings. In the same way you can add a new paint job and change the plates, and boom, you have a new car.

They are not the exact game, of course. But the similarities are so extreme and blatant, it's hard to imagine the pitch meeting was anything but Suits watching Pewdiepies Let's play of Outlast and saying "make that, but different enough we can't get sued."

Silentpony:

PapaGreg096:

Silentpony:

Yes, they added combat and other Resident Evil trappings. In the same way you can add a new paint job and change the plates, and boom, you have a new car.

They are not the exact game, of course. But the similarities are so extreme and blatant, it's hard to imagine the pitch meeting was anything but Suits watching Pewdiepies Let's play of Outlast and saying "make that, but different enough we can't get sued."

Resident Evil 7 has at most 3 things in common with Outlast those are hardly "extreme and blatant" similarities, was Resi 7 inspired by Outlast maybe but to say its a rip off is going too far.

It definitely is my favorite I played in a while and served as a great first vr game. I love how well designed things felt, how unique the baker estate feels, just like the spencer mansion, and I love how it rewards you with in game rewards for finishing the game and other such stuff. Honestly i think its a good step for the series and I been loving the dlc so I can't wait to see where this path leads

Nah, I'm going to go with Resident Evil Dead Aim.

dscross:

Major_Tom:

Saelune:

Agreed! 4, 5 and 6 were mainly for people who enjoy action-shooters. If you are a fan who doesn't like that style, those games completely isolate you.

im a fan of action shooters but i hate resi 5 and 6. they are bad action games.

in resident evil 6 entire game has cutscene after 10 min, QTE, follow this that. its call of duty.

resident evil 7 is pure horror game and very much step forward.

dscross:

But, like B-Cell said, they're bad even as action games. I enjoy other OTS 3rd person action-horror games like Alan Wake, Dead Space and more recently Evil Within, and they are all much better than RE4-5-6 (except for DS3).

Major_Tom:

dscross:

But, like B-Cell said, they're bad even as action games. I enjoy other OTS 3rd person action-horror games like Alan Wake, Dead Space and more recently Evil Within, and they are all much better than RE4-5-6 (except for DS3).

Alan wake is such a great game. incredibly underrated and one of the best third person horror game.

remedy really rocks.

I think what separates RE4 from 5 or 6 is that it still has the same atmosphere as the previous games but now with the focus on action. It felt like a genuine evolution from a formula that(back then) was getting pretty stale while RE5 and 6 were just Gears of War clones. Though, I actually quite liked the Leon chapter of RE6 which would have actually been pretty good without the mandatory AI partner.

I enjoyed Outlast(only played the first one) but RE7 handles that game's concept far more superiorly. In the opening of the game when you get introduced to the Bakers it's actually quite similar to Outlast but the pattern in which Jack chases you isn't scripted so in that sense it's more akin to Alien Isolation. Before that has a chance to get boring you have to figure out classic RE puzzles while gradually being introduced to some action so the game never gets as passive as those stealth horror games. Speaking of puzzles the 'birthday room' is probably the best puzzle of any game ever. Finally the game becomes more of a first person action game so you can unload all the accumulated stress of being chased by the Bakers and exact some revenge. :p

Other than RE7 being incredibly atmospheric it's also structured in a way that makes it more fun than Outlast or Alien Isolation. It never becomes monotonous or frustrating. I do agree that there aren't many monsters but I think that would also detract from the primary focus of the game which is the Baker family and Eveline. With the item management, puzzles, backtracking and soothing save room music I did still feel like I was playing a genuine classic RE game instead of just Condemned 3: Resident Evil. :p This is probably also one of the few genuinely awesome VR experiences though I haven't tried that yet.

stroopwafel:
I think what separates RE4 from 5 or 6 is that it still has the same atmosphere as the previous games but now with the focus on action. It felt like a genuine evolution from a formula that(back then) was getting pretty stale while RE5 and 6 were just Gears of War clones. Though, I actually quite liked the Leon chapter of RE6 which would have actually been pretty good without the mandatory AI partner.

RE4 never felt like an evolution of the series to me. It felt like a complete change - and it's also the reason why 5 and 6 exist. I think if Capcom felt they HAD to change the style for sales (I'm still not entirely convinced of that), it would have made more sense to make something more akin to the current RE7 style of gameplay - that would have sat much better with me at the time and would have been much more true to the series.

The Resident Evil games were never supposed to be about action - they were focussed on exploration, puzzles, scarcity and suspense (as in you always feel scared to proceed to the next unexplored area on first play through). Those are the features they needed to keep and most of the original fans would have accepted it like that. Heavy action set pieces with lots of things to fight was never part of that set up.

I know a lot of people love RE4, and some people called it 'Resident Evil for a new generation' and more power to those people and to the action-shooter fans it brought on board, but it was not a welcome change for a lot of fans of the originals at the time. I'm just not into action-heavy games - it's not why I play Resident Evil.

By contrast, while I still prefer the original style, RE7 is a massive leap towards where they were before, to me, and I much prefer it for that reason.

dscross:

RE4 never felt like an evolution of the series to me. It felt like a complete change - and it's also the reason why 5 and 6 exist. I think if Capcom felt they HAD to change the style for sales (I'm still not entirely convinced of that), it would have made more sense to make something more akin to the current RE7 style of gameplay - that would have sat much better with me at the time and would have been much more true to the series.

I think it's good when developers mix things up instead of providing the same experience over and over. Before RE4 you had RE 1-3, Code Veronica, RE0, RE Remake, Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis..the list goes on and on. The template made popular by the original Resident Evil was getting pretty stale by the time RE4 was released and I think it's a bold move by Mikami to make something completely new(coincidentially providing a similar template for third person shooters). It's a phenomenal game which magic couldn't be recaptured by it's weak sequels. I disagree RE4 wasn't true to the series as it still maintained the same atmosphere as the previous games(something RE5 and 6 definitely lost) but shifted it's priorities to action. Which was also implemented in a way that didn't detract from the oppressive dread again staying true to the game's horror roots. It was a fine balancing act that Mikami pulled off remarkably well and one which gameplay remains the most fun in the entire series. To this day it's tight and responsive with an entire zoo of monsters to fight. Game is 13 years old but still better than 99% of third person shooters. :p

stroopwafel:
I think it's good when developers mix things up instead of providing the same experience over and over. Before RE4 you had RE 1-3, Code Veronica, RE0, RE Remake, Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Dino Crisis..the list goes on and on. The template made popular by the original Resident Evil was getting pretty stale by the time RE4 was released and I think it's a bold move by Mikami to make something completely new(coincidentially providing a similar template for third person shooters). It's a phenomenal game which magic couldn't be recaptured by it's weak sequels. I disagree RE4 wasn't true to the series as it still maintained the same atmosphere as the previous games(something RE5 and 6 definitely lost) but shifted it's priorities to action. Which was also implemented in a way that didn't detract from the oppressive dread again staying true to the game's horror roots. It was a fine balancing act that Mikami pulled off remarkably well and one which gameplay remains the most fun in the entire series. To this day it's tight and responsive with an entire zoo of monsters to fight. Game is 13 years old but still better than 99% of third person shooters. :p

I get what you are saying, but if you don't like that style of gameplay, it means nothing. It just feels like butchering one of your favourite series. I love nearly all of those old-school survival horror games you mentioned (apart from Dino Crisis - I didn't like that one). They are arguably one of my favourite types of game. I'd argue that they only felt stale to the people who didn't like them as much. They don't make games like that at all now. As I said in the paragraph below the one you snipped, the Resident Evil games were never supposed to be about action - they were focussed on exploration, puzzles, scarcity and suspense - heavy action set pieces with lots of things to fight was never part of that set up.

In my mind, I'm pretending 4-6 never existed because they weren't Resident Evil for me. If you like RE4, good for you, but it's just not my type of game and as a long time fan of the old-school style, I simply can't concede that it felt like a 'natural evolution' of the series. Yey for RE7 and a (partial) return to form.

dscross:
I think if Capcom felt they HAD to change the style for sales (I'm still not entirely convinced of that), it would have made more sense to make something more akin to the current RE7 style of gameplay - that would have sat much better with me at the time and would have been much more true to the series.

Developers at Capcom at the time were asking to get transferred to other projects, because they were so sick of making the same Resident Evil game over and over and over again. That's how much the stagnation had set in with the current formula.

Casual Shinji:

dscross:
I think if Capcom felt they HAD to change the style for sales (I'm still not entirely convinced of that), it would have made more sense to make something more akin to the current RE7 style of gameplay - that would have sat much better with me at the time and would have been much more true to the series.

Developers at Capcom at the time were asking to get transferred to other projects, because they were so sick of making the same Resident Evil game over and over and over again. That's how much the stagnation had set in with the current formula.

Dude there are loads of franchises that keep the basic formula but just change it up a little bit and are successful. Look at Nintendo franchises. There are other ways to change it up other than completely changing a series into an action shooter franchise. I don't like action shooters. RE7 style works better for me.

Anyway, I realise you love RE4 and I'm not taking that away from anyone, but some fans simply don't like that kind of game.

B-Cell:

BabyfartsMcgeezaks:

Saelune:

I agree. resident evil 4 was one of the most overrated game ever. then they released resi 5 and 6 where 6 is worst by far.

Resi 7 is huge stepforward.

I actually enjoyed RE5 quite a bit more than RE4, mostly because of how great of an antagonist Wesker was and how great of protagonists Chris and Sheva was. RE6 was just horrible though, it took me 4 years to finally finish that slog.

Loved RE7 even if it didn't really have any recognizable characters

or zombies.

The first one is still the best...it must be because it spawned a shed load of crappy sequels and terrible films. That the franchise dropped so low that the new game seems good speaks volumes to the low bar modern gamers set on 'good' games.

yes. Because I'm done with the old bumbling style and am not going back. No nostalgia seemed to take root then, or perhaps it did until I tried playing them again, can't say for sure, never quite got the love for it, but maybe am soulless husk devouring all remnants of childish glee, a stumbling thirst lost amongst their past's debris, couldn't say for sure but the allure just kinda kept eluding me

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)