Best game Storyline Ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Final Fantasy VII and Bioshock gets the prize. They're both extremely epic and overloaded with awesome.

Jaranja:
FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

This. I loved FFX.

Actually Shadows of the Colossus was pretty amazing too.

also dragonquest VIII (Avatar!) But mostly for the strong characters, and nostagia :P

Because it just doesn't get any better than Yangus.

Ah crap, double post. But since I'm here again, I did like Max Payne as well. The first one, not the second really.

It's Planescape: Torment, and it's not particularly close. I hear good things about Silent Hill 2 as well, although I've not personally had the pleasure of trying it.

Bioshock was thematically strong, but the story was relatively pedestrian.

KillerMidget:
Fantasy World Dizzy! :D

what about SH:2?
I love mass effect though. and halflife. they gave me great satisfaction.

dududf:

Jaranja:
FFX. The only storyline where I've really connected with characters emotionally. Genuinely felt pity for them.

Really? I managed to hate their guts. Due mostly to Tidus, everyone else was Meh" in my books, some good. But Tidus threw the proverbial shit over my hopes of me connecting with the characters.

I cant explain the feeling I had when I completed the game. I got so emotionally attached to it. I was sad the journey finally came to an end :(

Ooh yeah, Shadow of the Colossus. One of the best examples of a deep storyline that's weaved into the gaming experience rather than told to you directly.

Also, AGROOOOOOOO!

KotOR still has my favorite storyline.

KOTOR loved those games storys anyone know if there doing another 1 ?

mass effect, no contest. if you actually take the time to read the codex and learn about the different species and planets, you'll understand why I love it so much. best example of this in my mind is what led up to the genophage, why it was implemented and why people in the game always debate about it. I've had three years to think about it and I still don't know whether or not it was the right thing to do.

I'm going with The Longest Journey, though there are tons other games that haven't been mentioned, but those really escape me at the moment. *headdesk*

Void(null):

After both Silent Hill games, I felt like I needed therapy.

Same here, same here... And that's just another sign that their story was beyond amazing.

I really liked Bioshock's story, and cant wait until tomorrow.

Eman645:
TF2 has the best.

YES!

Other option: Duke Nukem Forever...

Kramcake2516:
KOTOR loved those games storys anyone know if there doing another 1 ?

Yeah, it's called the Old Republic, and it's a PC exclusive MMO. Looks pretty cool, was recently delayed until later this year I think.

Fifa 10...

In all seriousness, I think its... dunno actually but i can tell you one of the most unlikely, silly and batshit crazy storyline is...

MW2 (doesn't mean it wasn't fun though)

BloatedGuppy:
It's Planescape: Torment, and it's not particularly close. I hear good things about Silent Hill 2 as well, although I've not personally had the pleasure of trying it.

Bioshock was thematically strong, but the story was relatively pedestrian.

I thought Bioshock's was pretty good until right after the plot twist. Then it wasn't nearly as interesting.

But I'd definitely agree with Planescape: Torment, though I do think there are games that come close (The Longest Journey, Thief/Thief 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 likely if it had been finished). It wasn't so much the main plotline (which was still very good) as the unique feeling of the setting however.

I believe Lost Odyssey has a really good story line, even though its spread over 4 disks its told really well and i got quite attatched to the characters ^^

Kotor (the first one), Mass Effect, Bioshock, DA:O, Silent Hill 2, and frankily, despite the wtf moments, I kinda thought Assassins Creed has a pretty good storyline...

Hmm, I think FFX was the one that really got me at the time (I know it's not cool to love JRPG stroytelling but I can't help that)

Other than that, MGS1 and 3 - they were the best standing by themselves and were comparatively easy to follow.

I'll say Bioshock

Void(null):

Sephychu:

Well, I loved that about Soul Reaver, but, opinions differ.

Soul Reaver 2 made it a lot more obvious where you needed to shift, and was more combat focused, and Defiance had you playing as Kain for a lot of it. The plotline was utterly IMMENSE.

Defiance I really didn't have a problem with, but getting past that huge speed bump of the Original Soul Reaver to then ease into 2, was a feat of gaming prowess I never pulled off.

Something about the game just drove me up the wall.

Its certainly not a bad game, and has an amazing story, but its one of the most difficult Puzzle/Platform games I have ever played, and my hat off to anyone who has beaten the two.

Thank you for the hat, good sir. :)
The first was, without a doubt, far more difficult.

soh21:

Sephychu:

Void(null):

Sephychu:

elemenetal150:
the legacy of kain series has an amazing story (to bad they are likely to never finish it).

This brings a tear to my eye. That series was one of the few to use time travel to convincing effect. The irritating thing is that Defiance ended on such a cliffhanger!

I loved Blood Omen but hated Soul Reaver, so I never quite got the full story. It wasn't the plot of Soul Reaver I disliked but mechanic of shifting between worlds to solve the puzzles. Many times it was not even partially obvious when or where one was supposed to shift to solve a riddle, and the further the games go along the more esoteric they become with the shifting mechanic.

It was too much of a headache for something I felt added very little to the world. Had they done a better implementation I don't think I would have had such an issue with the mechanic, but as it stands Soul Reaver 1 & 2 are almost unplayable for me.

Thus, I regretfully never got the whole Legacy of Kain story.

Well, I loved that about Soul Reaver, but, opinions differ.

Soul Reaver 2 made it a lot more obvious where you needed to shift, and was more combat focused, and Defiance had you playing as Kain for a lot of it. The plotline was utterly IMMENSE.

Due to the magic of the voice actors, a great story was turned into a masterpiece. Also, does any one find it funny that Raziel's actor, Michael Bell, once played a Smurf?

Anyways, for my vote, it would probably be Final Fantasy XII. Without a love story(an overt one, anyways) it managed to really pull me in the deepest of any of Square's games since Chrono Trigger.

Maybe he has a thing for Magical blue creatures?

I nominate Shin Megami Tensei and Persona 1. Those who took the neutral way in the first and finished the second at least once know why.

KotOR and MGS3 for me. BioShock's story was certainly well told, but the story itself was so-so. I also don't entirely get the stories of most FF games...no offense to any of the many, many fans, but they just really didn't seem that good, the only exception I remember being Final fantasy tactics.

Eman645:
TF2 has the best.

no way Counter Strike and Gmod have way better...

SnootyEnglishman:
I would like to put up Bioshock for this award

Seconded.

Honorable mention: Mass Effect.

I guess... Warcraft 3? I liked how the bad guys from Warcraft 2 were turned into antiheroes.

1st: The world ends with you
2nd bioshock
3rd:shadow of the the colossus

Ok as much as I liked Bioshock on presentation, the story itself I was fairly ambivalent on. I think if I hadn't played System Shock 2, I would have been much more taken with it, but as it was, it all felt very familiar to me.

Planescape is a class of its own.

Knights of the Old Republic is still a standout for me.

Yes, I'm a dork, but I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 2. It just all struck me as very sweet, and at the time I needed a break from my usual moral ambiguity at best, and outright darkness at worst.

Shadow of the Colossus also deserves a mention I think.

I couldn't stop playing Ace Combat 5 when I got it.

Borderlands :P

...seriously Bioshock

MMM. All the big '1' titles from 2007 and 2008 that now have sequels. FO3, ME, MW. For the 1st 2 idk how the sequels are.
But for modern warfare, the sequel on a plot basis is pretty good. THe major problems people have with the campaign is the atmosphere and the player character being the only friendly capable of killing an enemy. (In COD4, the U.S. marines actually got kills, whereas in 2, if anything gets done you do it)

Metal gear solid 3 should get a mention, aside from the cheesy bosses it doesn't overdo it, and the cutscenes aren't short, but they're shorter than 2 and 4 by a good stretch. I loved the setting of that game.
Shadow of the collossus, an ambigious story with fantastic atmosphere and a great twist at the end. Also, by god i loved that horse.
Majora's mask too. Actually most games I love for their atmosphere over actual story. Guess that's not too surprsing...

CrysisMcGee:
For me, the best Storyline ever is Planescape: Torment. It was a nice difference from all the other RPG's, and it is an incredible experience.

Also the Myth Series. Heavily influenced by Norse mythology, the whole fantasy setting and literally fighting for your existence made it very good.

So what game, or games, do you feel have the best storyline?

two games spring to mind

1)Mass Effect 1,2 & 3 (I know it's not out yet shut up)

The fact that you can make the story your own makes it a great story. Every action has a consequence, every choice a ramification. to have so many story options and have it smoothly go together is awesome!

2) Suikoden 3

This is probably my favorite story EVER! You have multiple viewpoint storylines, each that gives amazing insight into the overall plot, in little bit to increase the interest. Example: In one of the story lines you play as Hugo, the son of a clan's chief, where your village gets burned down by a group of knights from a society who you just returned from giving a peace treaty to! You feel betrayed, angry, and sad because you just lost your best friend in that fight.
However, when you play the story line of Lady Chris, the leader of those knights, only to find out that they had to burn down the village because the clans had attacked them during negotiations and it was their only way to open a hole to get home. The story keeps up this viewpoint-wrenching story that even shows the reasonings behind the ultimate baddie. This game actually caused me to try and look at every side of a story, it is that AWESOME!

Majora's Mask.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked