Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Let's Play Fallout: New Vegas [The Servant]

Pages PREV 1 . . . 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 . . . 37 NEXT

I always love how the white Khan (the one on our right) looks like he's tripping on Psycho in the opening cinematic. Those eyes. Therein lies insanity.

Also of note: if not for his trademark suit, I'd would not have recognized Benny. He looks so different in the cinematic than he does in-game.

But overall, I love the intro. "The game was rigged from the start". I love that line. Reminds me of a line in a Titus Andronicus song: "You ain't never been no virgin, kid. You were fucked from the start"

DustyDrB:
I always love how the white Khan (the one on our right) looks like he's tripping on Psycho in the opening cinematic. Those eyes. Therein lies insanity.

I think he (Jessup) is, considering when you meet him he has both psycho in his possession and nearby when you meet him at Boulder City.

ChupathingyX:

DustyDrB:

I think he (Jessup) is, considering when you meet him he has both psycho in his possession and nearby when you meet him at Boulder City.

True. I forgot it was the same guy. But then again, a good many of the Khans are addicts. They're not quite Fiends, but they are definitely the second druggiest faction in New Vegas...unless you count Dr Mobius.

DustyDrB:
True. I forgot it was the same guy. But then again, a good many of the Khans are addicts. They're not quite Fiends, but they are definitely the second druggiest faction in New Vegas...unless you count Dr Mobius.

Ahh yes, Dr. Mobius.

Thanks to him I never have to buy or look for mentats ever again.

DustyDrB:

ChupathingyX:

DustyDrB:

Have you read All Roads? It was the graphic novel bundled into the Collector's Edition. It's implied the drugs trade runs through Vegas at all levels in it; Benny assassinates a singer who kept suggesting the Chairmen should head back out into the Mojave with a Psycho overdose, and one of the Khans who he takes to intercept the Courier is utterly strung out on chems, to the point where he charges a Fiend whilst having his skin blasted off with a Flamer, and he just shrugs it off. The Khans' solution when he starts getting jittery from withdrawal? Yet more chems!

Also, don't the Khans make the drugs and then sell them to the Fiends? I'm pretty sure if you're disguised as a Khan, you can waltz into Vault 3 without a Speech check.

Melon Hunter:

DustyDrB:

ChupathingyX:

Have you read All Roads? It was the graphic novel bundled into the Collector's Edition. It's implied the drugs trade runs through Vegas at all levels in it; Benny assassinates a singer who kept suggesting the Chairmen should head back out into the Mojave with a Psycho overdose, and one of the Khans who he takes to intercept the Courier is utterly strung out on chems, to the point where he charges a Fiend whilst having his skin blasted off with a Flamer, and he just shrugs it off. The Khans' solution when he starts getting jittery from withdrawal? Yet more chems!

Also, don't the Khans make the drugs and then sell them to the Fiends? I'm pretty sure if you're disguised as a Khan, you can waltz into Vault 3 without a Speech check.

I didn't know All Roads existed. I never thought about getting the Collector's Edition to New Vegas, since I was apprehensive towards the game before it came out (because I hated Fallout 3).

There is a drug lab in Red Rock Canyon. Jack and Diane run it.

I haven't read All Roads but I've read about it on the FO wiki and I think I'd like to get my hands on it. Also, my two cents on Benny's gangster accent: I liked it. It was appropriate and even though it didn't feel quite right sometimes, I think it worked well with the setting and character.

I probably won't be able to release the first update until after my finals are over, but on the upside, I'll have plenty of time to update the LP during break.

AlternatePFG:
I probably won't be able to release the first update until after my finals are over, but on the upside, I'll have plenty of time to update the LP during break.

Good news.

BTW, I downloaded Lonesome Road and am playing it (finally) right now.

CM156:

AlternatePFG:

Good news.

How are you liking it? I wasn't that into it my first time, but I actually liked it much better the next time.

DustyDrB:

CM156:

AlternatePFG:

Good news.

How are you liking it? I wasn't that into it my first time, but I actually liked it much better the next time.

I really enjoyed it for its atmosphere. In a way, the off-kilter buildings around the Divide put me more on edge than the Sierra Madre, and that place was pretty spooky in its own right. The one thing that got me was how you could safely detonate a nuclear warhead from about 50 yards away. I guess the fissile material could have decayed over the years, but still, America's nukes in the Fallout world must have been ridiculously low yield.

On the plus side, finally wrapping up the Ulysses story arc was satisfying, guilt-free Riot Gear was always a plus, and as with every New Vegas DLC, I left with more unique loot than I knew what to do with.

DustyDrB:

CM156:

AlternatePFG:

Good news.

Finished it the other day. It was... well... my feelings about it were complex. Overall, I liked the sense of alone-ness that it had. I really felt like I was walking a Lonesome Road. The climax was... well, not something I liked or disliked. Overall, I give it a +2. OWB got a +4, Honest Hearts got a 0, and Dead Money got a -1.

CM156:
Overall, I give it a +2. OWB got a +4, Honest Hearts got a 0, and Dead Money got a -1.

-1?

Awwww, Dead Money was one of my favourites and I thought it had the best characters.

Okay yeah the gameplay was tedious and difficult but at least it shows you just how scary a place like the Sierra Madre would be in real life and I thought it backed up the claims that everyone makes that it is a ghost town that no one returns from.

I also loved how it fit within the vanilla game, like how you could find people with bomb collars in the Mojave and Vegas plus the connections between Veronica and Elijah.

Elijah in particular is one of my favourite and it was interesting as he makes subtle references to hand holding in current video game RPGs.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:
Overall, I give it a +2. OWB got a +4, Honest Hearts got a 0, and Dead Money got a -1.

-1?

Awwww, Dead Money was one of my favourites and I thought it had the best characters.

Okay yeah the gameplay was tedious and difficult but at least it shows you just how scary a place like the Sierra Madre would be in real life and I thought it backed up the claims that everyone makes that it is a ghost town that no one returns from.

I also loved how it fit within the vanilla game, like how you could find people with bomb collars in the Mojave and Vegas plus the connections between Veronica and Elijah.

Elijah in particular is one of my favourite and it was interesting as he makes subtle references to hand holding in current video game RPGs.

Here's the rating scale for a -1

-1 NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Well, I kinda played it, and disliked it just a bit... maybe if they
changed this level, or made an update that fixes these glitches, would
this game score higher. It might not be a game for me, but it's
possible that you would like it. Maybe the gameplay mechanic was just
not for me. And it was the one thing I bitched about the entire game.
It's only one item that made me hate this game, and say it sucked, but
it's an important one.

It's not that it's bad, I just didn't feel it was for me.

CM156:
SNIP

Oh okay, fair enough.

I'm not a fan of giving numbered ratings but that's probably one of the better systems I've seen.

ChupathingyX:

CM156:
SNIP

Oh okay, fair enough.

I'm not a fan of giving numbered ratings but that's probably one of the better systems I've seen.

I like this system, because you don't have to give a positive number score to a game you dislike. For example, Final Fantasy XIII gets a -3

Lessons with Head Scribe Viking

Well that doesn't feel like my best work but hey, it's been a long day. Also as a final note I would like to add that Caesar controls his Legion ten times better than Kimball and the NCR...with religion!

Viking Incognito:

Well that doesn't feel like my best work but hey, it's been a long day. Also as a final note I would like to add that Caesar controls his Legion ten times better than Kimball and the NCR...with religion!

Good to have you back, friend.

This is similar to a paper I wrote on The Iliad. The phrase is "God and Guns". In other words: Use power of force and use power in the divine to control people.

Viking Incognito:

That's actually a good point; people need something to look to in times of trouble and something to guide them.

Have you gotten around to playing the New Vegas DLCs?

ChupathingyX:

I will after Christmas.

CM156:

This is similar to a paper I wrote on The Iliad. The phrase is "God and Guns". In other words: Use power of force and use power in the divine to control people.

Thanks for the kind words, and that is a very appropriate term.

Viking Incognito:

ChupathingyX:

I will after Christmas.

CM156:

Thanks for the kind words, and that is a very appropriate term.

My point was this: Most humans revile at the thought of killing another. Unless it's a few cases. The first is self defense, but in that case, self-preservation overrides morals. The second is being given an order by a commander, but even then, you feel guilt. But when you're told that god(s) is/are on your side? You can do things free of guilt. Why? Because it wasn't your choice. It allows a person to act without guilt. That was the supposition of my paper, anyways.

Alright, now that I finally have some time to catch a break, I can work on the LP. The first update will be coming shortly.

AlternatePFG:
Alright, now that I finally have some time to catch a break, I can work on the LP. The first update will be coming shortly.

Finally!

Can't wait!

How large is this update going to be by the way?

AlternatePFG:

*claps and cheers*

Hmm, 1st double post in 3 years. Not a bad record I suppose.

AlternatePFG:

Great, I was expecting this for a long time.

Back from the Dead

Sorry that it took so long to get this out. With finals, then Christmas, it made it rather hard to find time to work on it.

Off-topic: I've been playing a lot of games lately, mostly replaying the ones I already have. Currently progressing through my second playthroughs of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Been playing through Legened of Zelda: Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (Just got that one, haven't played it yet) as well. Going to beat Wind Waker, then Twilight Princess, then to Skyward Sword. Just been in a really Zelda-y mood lately, don't know why. Also, just played and beat Shadow of the Colossus for the first time this week. Holy shit, that game is amazing.

What have you guys been playing?

AlternatePFG:

Here Mitchell makes comments depending on the SPECIAL stats you've chosen. Nothing too major though.

Make sure you get that perception up to 8 before going to Dead Money ;D

"A bearded man."

Obviously that's two bears high-fiving.

Now we get to choose our traits. Traits return from Fallout 2, they were absent in Fallout 3. Basically, they're like early perks that give significant bonuses at the expense of others. We pick Small Frame, for the extra agility and Wild Wasteland, because it's freaking Wild Wasteland. More on what that does later.

No kamikaze?

*sadface*

SNIP

I haven't really been playing that much except Dawn of War II - Retribution, last stand mode.

I did, however, watch every episode of Red vs Blue all over again, it never gets old.

Can't wait for the next season...damn cliffhangers!

Actually, the Exile in KotOR II doesn't have Amnesia. He can be quite conversant about his past. He's just not up-to-date on some things because he was away...on exile.

And now I see ChupathingyX has gotten to that point before me. I like your vigilance, sir!

I feel like an idiot right now, though. In my four playthroughs of New Vegas, I never once noticed those cigarette butts. I need a bigger TV...

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of games lately (haven't we all?). Skyward Sword, Skyrim, The World Ends With You, KotOR I and II (and I've been reading the Revan novel. I wish I hadn't, though. Soooo much KotOR II retconning!). I've played more than that, but those are the most recent ones. It's been another great year for gaming. I didn't play a single game I thought was bad. Not a bad accomplishment, considering I've played quite a lot this year.

AlternatePFG:
Anyway, the name I choose is Mark

Also, a complete shock for me when first playing the game, your character does not start the game with amnesia, which you think they would have. I mean, a lot of Obsidian/Black Isle games start with plot-related Amnesia (KOTOR II, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer) and while it was used well in those games, I'm glad they didn't use it here.

Not to be critical, but I thought that you started MotB just transported elsewhere, not with amnesia. I mean, you remember the King of Shadows, and are able to tell which love interest you have that you already have someone waiting for you. That, and you fully remember Bishop. I agree, though. Most of their games have you lying prone or in some form of danger. By the way, Safiya somewhat reminds me of Sharon Cassidy, in regards to personality

Which reminds me: I should replay MotB. Favorite RPG ever.

We take these "Distinctive Cigarette Butts". They'll be important later, believe it or not.

You know, I missed those both times. Pity.

Not really a good name for it isn't it? For now on, healing powder that we make will be referred to as "Mark's Miracle Mending Medicine".

You can also craft and break down ammo at reloading benches and such.

Just like actual reloading, I found it to be a waste of time. But that's just me.

I finally beat Oblivion, and I've been playing Skyrim. Other than that, not much.

I've been lurking this LP thread for some time now, but I must surface to say that I loathe Small Frame. Agility isn't a bad stat to crank up, but is one point really worth the ubiquitous crippling?

Other than that, I look forward to seeing this adventure through ^^.

AlternatePFG:

Back from the Dead

Sorry that it took so long to get this out. With finals, then Christmas, it made it rather hard to find time to work on it.

Off-topic: I've been playing a lot of games lately, mostly replaying the ones I already have. Currently progressing through my second playthroughs of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Been playing through Legened of Zelda: Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (Just got that one, haven't played it yet) as well. Going to beat Wind Waker, then Twilight Princess, then to Skyward Sword. Just been in a really Zelda-y mood lately, don't know why. Also, just played and beat Shadow of the Colossus for the first time this week. Holy shit, that game is amazing.

Glad to see this LP is starting up again! Have you decided who you'll be backing on this playthrough, or will you be polling us on it later?

On a side note, the Armored Vault 13 Jumpsuit and Weathered 10mm Pistol from Courier's Stash will serve you very well both mechanically and aesthetically for quite a large portion of the game. I can't really speak for the other stuff, though. I got the Classic Pack with my Collector's Edition pre-order and never bothered with Courier's Stash.

As for games I've been playing, I played through Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a pacifist playthrough earlier this month, and restarted New Vegas on my first Hardcore playthrough So far I've got to New Vegas and completed Honest Hearts with no big hiccups or dead companions. I want this character to back Mr. house, but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do so, having been Idolized by the NCR and made a Paladin by the BoS. I hate stabbing people in the back in games like that. Since Christmas, I've been playing Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3 and Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call, all of which I received for Christmas.

mirror's edgy:
I've been lurking this LP thread for some time now, but I must surface to say that I loathe Small Frame. Agility isn't a bad stat to crank up, but is one point really worth the ubiquitous crippling?

Crippled limbs aren't really that bad to deal with, especially if you tote around a few doctor's bags. The only time that I've ever had crippled limbs is when I wasn't able to get away from a couple mines fast enough.

Personally I like using Built to Destroy and Small Frame first, then pick up WW as my third after I've picked up the YCS-186 gauss rifle.

Berenzen:

mirror's edgy:

Crippled limbs aren't really that bad to deal with, especially if you tote around a few doctor's bags. The only time that I've ever had crippled limbs is when I wasn't able to get away from a couple mines fast enough.

Personally I like using Built to Destroy and Small Frame first, then pick up WW as my third after I've picked up the YCS-186 gauss rifle.

You can also take perks to sort of cancel out the negative consequences of Small Frame, like Adamantium Skeleton. A few Old World Blues perks make it so certain body parts can't be crippled (Big-Brained and Brainless: Head can't be crippled, Spineless: Torso can't be crippled). Though I guess "limbs" only means arms and legs. But if your head and torso can't be crippled, then those are more stimpaks/doctor's bags that are available for your arms and legs.

Oh yeah, almost completely forgot about the Courier's Stash DLC items. We will choose one weapon and one piece of armor to bring with us out of Goodsprings. The other stuff will be put into safe storage until later in the game when the weapons stop being so overpowered. This is what we can choose from.

Weapons
-Sturdy Caravan Shotgun
-Weathered 10mm Pistol
-Mercenary's Grenade Rifle
-Broad Machete

Armor
-Lightweight Leather Armor
-Armored Vault 13 Jumpsuit
-Lightweight Metal Armor
-Tribal Raiding Armor

The other items like stimpaks and ammo will be held onto for simplicity's sake.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 . . . 37 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked