Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Irony's Acolyte:
Oh here's your problem:

>PS3

Yep, the PS3 has some issues with save files. I play on the 360 while my friend plays on the PS3. Guess who's still able to play their games for over 2 hours without it lagging?

As for some of the other stuff you mentioned...

The UI is objectively ugly. I don't mind the simplistic look to it. And being able to view items inside your inventory is pretty nice too. As for not being able to view your character in the menu... oh no! You have to exit it to view your character. The horror! The UI can be a bit of a mess at times when you have tons of stuff in your inventory, but that's whats favorites are for!

I much prefer the character models in Skyrim to Oblivion. Seriously, most of the user made characters in Oblivion (at least without mods) were rather meh at best. Otherwise they were rather ugly. Skyrim characters generally look better.

The lack of acrobatics and athletics in Skyrim is a bit sad, how would it work with the perks system? Run faster? Run even more faster? Run really really, really good looking faster?

Plus, there are alot of things I like in Skyrim over Oblivion. The dual wielding system (for both spells and weapons) is pretty nice. I like being able to choose between a one-handed weapon and some sort of spell or two spells or two of the same type of spells or whatever.

And no classes is great. I'm not limited to a couple key skills when it comes to leveling up. I can level up whatever I want and if mid-game I find I just don't like what I've been leveling, I can always switch to something else! Or just pick up another skill that I find is useful.

You could level up your minor skills in Oblivion too, they just didn't count towards a level up. You didn't know that? In Oblivion you could add up to +5 in three different attributes. In Skyrim you can add 10 points to either HP, MP or Stamina. Skyrim has adopted Bioware's ability system which was always inferior to just straight out leveling your skills.

Kahunaburger:

Crono1973:
let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none.

In their tongue he is Movakiin, Mudcrab-born!

I dunno, man, doesn't sound quite the same.

That joke made my last 3 minutes of this day!

Meh, Oblivion sucked hard. Especially compared to Morrowind.
I haven't played Skyrim yet, but it would be hard for it to be worse than Oblivion.

Lucyfer86:
Let's see, Skyrim is great game, Oblivion is not.

-No more skill picking at the start before you know what are useful for you playstyle.

-No more monsters leveling with you.

-Better, tho more crude looking, UI.

-No pointless skills like athletics or acrobatics.

-No more boring green forest all over the map.

-Actually more interesting main story line.

-Dragons!

....So wait, there arent any ways that Oblivion is superior. Oh well.

-You're only confused about skills the first time you play. Play it once, you know what skills you need.

-See: FF2. Take a wrong step and get savaged by high-level monsters. Nuff said.

-The UI is terrible. There is no item-sorting, and the wheel-thing is horrible.

-They weren't pointless. It stopped tanks being ninjas. And vice-versa.

-Now it's just white. Everything is white.

-I haven't really progressed in the main quest. Maybe because I didn't like the story, actually. But that's a but subjective.

-They have no impact on the game whatsoever.

Crono1973:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

Can you honestly tell me that the combat in Oblivion is better than Skyrim? Because it isn't. Not even close. And that is the main point of the game at the end of the day. No one plays this game to talk to every bloke Whiterun, even though you might. You play it because you know at some point you have to kill a bandit leader, or a forest troll, or fight some daedra. And the combat system with both the weapons and magic is greatly improved. The hand selection idea works perfectly. The fighting in Skyrim is just so much better.

Your other points are debatable, not solidified, in my opinion. I don't understand how the character creator is bad, you just say its bad. That is a pretty shitty argument. And I could give a damn about athletics or acrobatics. I don't really feel like jumping for 3 hours straight. I can do that in real life. I can't fight giants wielding electrical powers in real life. So, acrobatics and athletics seem like rather disposable skills. I understand your gripe about not being able to advance in them, but oh well. I can live without them just fine.

I understand you might prefer Oblivion to Skyrim, and that is fine. That is your choice. There are certain things I liked in Oblivion better myself. But at the end of the day, the gameplay is so superior in Skyrim, it really is just no contest, in my opinion.

MultiElford:

Crono1973:

Since I can't hear your tone.

If you sound like you want to have a nice discussion:

I don't know, I like Skyrim more..
I didn't think about the details, but just the feeling as a whole that I got from playing both games.
I guess it is the environment that draws me into it, especially the new factions and guilds.

If you sound arrogant or like some of the other wannabe smart gamers that just want to sound cool but fail miserably:

If you like Oblivion, sell your copy of Skyrim and play Oblivion again.

I don't see the problem here?

Oh wait, you wanted to show how you are different from the mainstream that loves Skyrim right now, or just how many flaws you can find in a game that almost everybody loves right now. Good job!
I can give you a suggestion on how to sound even smarter and cooler: Rant about Modern Warfare! That will impress everyone

Either way, have fun with Oblivion, it really is a great game :)

So discussions aren't allowed on a discussion board? I mean, doesn't every discussion fall into two categories, with the crowd or against the crowd? Is the latter not allowed?

Crono1973:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

even if i agreed with all you have said(which i dont on any) oblivion would be the worse game for just the fact that you have to sleep to level.

Russell Utterson:

The UI is also completely subjective, and dragons have a big impact on the game.
Killing dragons lets you use the shouts. I'm not far enough in the main story yet, but I'm pretty sure the dragons you kill through only scripted encounters are DEFINITELY not enough to unlock all of the shouts you're able to get in the game.

Crono1973:
snip

if you hate it so much why don't you just return it? and did you say morrowind was better then oblivion when oblivion came out? just wondering.

Kahunaburger:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity

there was 1 dragon in Oblivion, the one who fights Mehrunes Dagon, the golden one

Radeonx:

Russell Utterson:

The UI is also completely subjective, and dragons have a big impact on the game.
Killing dragons lets you use the shouts. I'm not far enough in the main story yet, but I'm pretty sure the dragons you kill through only scripted encounters are DEFINITELY not enough to unlock all of the shouts you're able to get in the game.

Have you played Skyrim on the PC? The UI is difficult to use. Really. And the shouts are really just Powers from Oblivion, which could be obtained by just exploring a bit. Ok. A lot.

zenoaugustus:

Crono1973:

Can you honestly tell me that the combat in Oblivion is better than Skyrim? Because it isn't. Not even close. And that is the main point of the game at the end of the day. No one plays this game to talk to every bloke Whiterun, even though you might. You play it because you know at some point you have to kill a bandit leader, or a forest troll, or fight some daedra. And the combat system with both the weapons and magic is greatly improved. The hand selection idea works perfectly. The fighting in Skyrim is just so much better.

Your other points are debatable, not solidified, in my opinion. I don't understand how the character creator is bad, you just say its bad. That is a pretty shitty argument. And I could give a damn about athletics or acrobatics. I don't really feel like jumping for 3 hours straight. I can do that in real life. I can't fight giants wielding electrical powers in real life. So, they seem like rather disposable skills. I understand your gripe about not being able to advance in them, but oh well. I can live without them just fine.

I understand you might prefer Oblivion to Skyrim, and that is fine. That is your choice. There are certain things I liked in Oblivion better myself. But at the end of the day, the gameplay is so superior in Skyrim, it really is just no contest, in my opinion.

I never said the combat in Oblivion is better than Skyrim, Skyrim has better combat. So you say that combat is why people play these games. Well then, the combat in Oblivion couldn't have been that bad if that's why everyone played it. Actually, combat is only a part of a TES game and not the most interesting part either. Role playing and building the character you want.

Skyrim has it's improvements over Oblivion but then I never said everything in Oblivion is superior to everything in Skyrim.

Russell Utterson:

Lucyfer86:
Let's see, Skyrim is great game, Oblivion is not.

-No more skill picking at the start before you know what are useful for you playstyle.

-No more monsters leveling with you.

-Better, tho more crude looking, UI.

-No pointless skills like athletics or acrobatics.

-No more boring green forest all over the map.

-Actually more interesting main story line.

-Dragons!

....So wait, there arent any ways that Oblivion is superior. Oh well.

-Now it's just white. Everything is white.

Ok I'' say it, have you even played the game?

If you read it in the Bethesda forum then you're just repeating someone else's opinion...

Russell Utterson:

Radeonx:

Russell Utterson:

Have you played Skyrim on the PC? The UI is difficult to use. Really. And the shouts are really just Powers from Oblivion, which could be obtained by just exploring a bit. Ok. A lot.

Yup, and I love the UI.
And your point about the powers are completely irrelevant. Just because a similar mechanic was in Oblivion doesn't mean that dragons don't have an impact on the game. You're just arguing against my point with random information that doesn't prove your original point.

p3t3r:

Crono1973:
snip

if you hate it so much why don't you just return it? and did you say morrowind was better then oblivion when oblivion came out? just wondering.

I don't hate Skyrim and to answer your question, I didn't get on a board and say those things but Morrowind was a better game for it's time but I can't go back to it now, too much reading I guess and the accuracy issue (at the beginning of the game you miss alot).

Crono1973:
I never said the combat in Oblivion is better than Skyrim, Skyrim has better combat. So you say that combat is why people play these games. Well then, the combat in Oblivion couldn't have been that bad if that's why everyone played it. Actually, combat is only a part of a TES game and not the most interesting part either. Role playing and building the character you want.

Skyrim has it's improvements over Oblivion but then I never said everything in Oblivion is superior to everything in Skyrim.

Obviously combat is only one aspect of the game. But it is probably the most important. I enjoy role-playing as much as anyone, but the combat (or at least skill implication, and by that I mean the use of the skills the game has set) is probably the most important part to the game. And I personally think Skyrim does it better, for the aforementioned reasons. And you can still build the character you want.

On a whole, are you trying to argue Oblivion is the better game? Or just complain about the list you had set up at the start of your thread? Because that is fine, but I can't see how Oblivion is better.

My only issue is the removal of hand-to-hand as a skill. It was my favorite combat skill...

SimpleJack:
If you read it in the Bethesda forum then you're just repeating someone else's opinion...

Nope, pretty sure I have my own opinions. Ever read anything you agree with? Does that mean you don't have an opinion?

hazabaza1:
I can't think of a single way that Oblivion is better. Honestly.

yeah same here i don't really get the problem

in Oblivion i have crashed alot of times.
in skyrim i haven't once

why would you wan't it you already get spell's to make you run faster. PLUS you can turn into a werewolf and run faster then a horse

Skyrim's going to be better for one reason. Every reason it is worse than Oblivion (there are few, and I LOVED Oblivion) will be fixed with mods. Just wait a month ;)

zenoaugustus:

Crono1973:

Obviously combat is only one aspect of the game. But it is probably the most important. I enjoy role-playing as much as anyone, but the combat (or at least skill implication, and by that I mean the use of the skills the game has set) is probably the most important part to the game. And I personally think Skyrim does it better, for the aforementioned reasons. And you can still build the character you want.

On a whole, are you trying to argue Oblivion is the better game? Or just complain about the list you had set up at the start of your thread? Because that is fine, but I can't see how Oblivion is better.

This may come as a shock to you but all I am arguing is that some things were done better in Oblivion. The clue is in the opening post and in the title.

SextusMaximus:
Skyrim's going to be better for one reason. Every reason it is worse than Oblivion (there are few, and I LOVED Oblivion) will be fixed with mods. Just wait a month ;)

People keep saying that mods will fix everything. You will be dissapointed, it will take years to get all the mods needed to fix all of Skyrims problems just like it took years with Morrowind and Oblivion. In fact, was UI on Oblivion every really fixed to be more like Morrowinds UI? I don't think so.

Crono1973:

zenoaugustus:
[quote="Crono1973" post="9.324288.13281071"]snip

This may come as a shock to you but all I am arguing is that some things were done better in Oblivion. The clue is in the opening post and in the title.

It's not a very good clue.

"Way Oblivion is superior to Skyrim."

That tells me at first glance that you are saying that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim plain and simple. It doesn't tell me that Oblivion had a few things that were better than Skyrim.

Next time try titling the thread something like, "A few things Oblivion does better than Skyrim."

Crono1973:
You could level up your minor skills in Oblivion too, they just didn't count towards a level up. You didn't know that? In Oblivion you could add up to +5 in three different attributes. In Skyrim you can add 10 points to either HP, MP or Stamina. Skyrim has adopted Bioware's ability system which was always inferior to just straight out leveling your skills.

Yes, I knew that you could level up your minor skills. But they had no effect on you leveling up. Your major skills were all that counted towards that. So if you happened to find out that you enjoyed using a different skill than what you expected in the very beginning of your play through, tough luck! It doesn't help you level.

As for attributes, I'm pretty sure Skyrim did away with them entirely. I'm not going to say that it's better or worse, as it's simply two different systems. Skyrim's system is more streamlined than Oblivions, which can be both good and bad. If you liked having attributes, then sure losing them is certainly a negative. But now I don't have to worry about one of my attributes not being high enough for a certain skill or item or whatever. I hardly see how one system is immediately 'inferior' to the other. More subjective problems it sounds like to me.

And by 'Bioware's ability system' do you mean in the Dragon Age games where you had different attributes like Strength, Dexterity, Cunning...?

Crono1973:

zenoaugustus:

Crono1973:

Don't get sarcastic because I asked you a question. That's a quick way to make any enemy for no reason. It isn't "a shock to me". If you had followed your clue and read one of my earlier posts, perhaps you would've read that I also believe certain aspects of Oblivion were superior. Don't get so defensive, I was merely trying to add to your discussion and build a constructive conversation about two good games.

Grunt_Man11:

Crono1973:

zenoaugustus:

That tells me at first glance that you are saying that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim plain and simple. It doesn't tell me that Oblivion had a few things that were better than Skyrim.

Next time try titling the thread something like, "A few things Oblivion does better than Skyrim."

"Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim" obviously says the message that he didn't say Oblivion was better plain and simple. If he was doing that, he would've just said "Oblivion is superior to Skyrim". The ways makes it blatantly obvious that he was talking about just a few things.

Crono1973:

So discussions aren't allowed on a discussion board? I mean, doesn't every discussion fall into two categories, with the crowd or against the crowd? Is the latter not allowed?

Oh no, sorry for the misunderstanding.
A discussion is great and if you were just trying to talk about how Skyrim might have been better and ask our opinion about it, I have nothing more to say than what I said in the first part of the post (while i do agree with you when it comes to U.I and technical difficulties, Skyrim is a more immersive experience due to the new guilds and factions in my opinion, and that is all that matters in an RPG as long as it is playable, which Skyrim certainly is)

Its just my belief that a person has to be open-minded in order to lead a nice discussion. If you are already anti-Skyrim and won't change your mind about it even if others might have present good arguments which pretty much determine that Skyrim cannot be considered a worse game than Oblivion, then it won't be a discussion but just an egocentric thread trying to undermine other people's love and opinion for/about the game. If you still want your opinion to be heard, make a review, but don't start a discussion about it.

Again, just my opinion, sorry for being so harsh about it. I guess my last post was stupid, so I am sorry. I would delete it if I could *embarassed*

half the negatives posted in this thread are basically "I haven't done this yet, but I'm sure it makes the game worse, and if you disagree with me you're wrong"
I put about 80 hours into this game and I've loved it.
Only negative I have are that for me the quest chains are significantly shorter.
But I guess that's to stop all the hypercritical people complaining that they're too long.
If they'd left loads of stuff the same you'd be complaining that it's the same game as Oblivion and they should have done more to change it in the last 5 years.

Trezu:

hazabaza1:
I can't think of a single way that Oblivion is better. Honestly.

yeah same here i don't really get the problem

in Oblivion i have crashed alot of times.
in skyrim i haven't once

why would you wan't it you already get spell's to make you run faster. PLUS you can turn into a werewolf and run faster then a horse

I prefer a passive ability to a spell. I didn't have to turn into a beast in Oblivion to run faster, I just had to build up that skill which I did by running. I thought it worked fine in Oblivion so long as you didn't choose it as a major skill. I guess some people couldn't figure that out though so the skills had to be eliminated.

Oblivion dungeons was boring, oblivion's were boring, game was too short, for that time it was a graphics masterpiece but not a game i would prefer for gameplay, just and eye candy, everything was similar in oblivion. Morrowind was a masterpiece, both gameplay and graphics, every dungeon different from one another, and now in Skyrim it is even more different, i've found similar dungeons, but i also found that it was more interesting to clear skyrim's dungeons, than any dungeon in oblivion, some dungeons in skyrim takes you into dwemer ruins (which were abscent from oblivion, also you can delve into deep regions underground in skyrim, now in morrowind too.

Crono1973:

Imo Skyrim is much better than Oblivion.

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really? You want to be able to unrealistically jump over people? And run faster than the horses?

- The character creation is much better than Oblivion, a lot more natural in the way you can manipulate the character. Plenty of choices for the look of your character

- The UI in Skyrim is amazing. It is so intuitive and sleek. It's really smooth. Also there are only 4 pieces of information that the player needs to know Magicka, Health and Stamina, And when you aren't in combat or using one of these stats, they hide. Very good UI design.

- The UI aesthetically looks very pleasing. As for the sorting, it sorts automatically by alphabetical order, I can understand if people want to manually sort their items. The lack of being able to view your character while you equip your items is not really a loss cos all you need to do is just go out of the menus and look at your character in 3rd person. Easy enough. Also I seriously doubt you are going to judge what armour you wear on just how it looks.

- I can only vouch for the pc but skyrim plays much better than oblivion performance wise.

My big problem is with the map. It was fine in Oblivion, but in Skyrim it just feels like it was made to look nice rather than be useful. I also like the guild system better in Oblivion, in Skyrim they felt shorter. Lastly, I really wish they brought back the arena, that was one of my favorite parts about Oblivion. Everything else I enjoy.

Grunt_Man11:

Crono1973:

zenoaugustus:

Well, there are always better ways to say things but oddly enough, those things are only seen in hindsight.

I'll give you one huge reason why Skyrim crushes Oblivion like a bug: No sleep necessary in order to level up.

I can't tell you how many exp. I wasted because I was in the middle of nowhere without an Inn in sight and I couldn't fast-travel because I was surrounded by enemies. And the game wouldn't count exp. earned if your bar was already full up and ready to be slept off.

And no, the character creation might not be as extensive this time around, but so what? I made the most beautiful looking dark elf in Oblivion, but that didn't change the fact that everyone else looked like shit.

And having basic movement skills like walking and jumping add to your exp. basically forced you to choose those skills as not to feel left out of the loop. Whereas Skyrim simply upgrades whatever skill you feel like using.

And ofcourse there was the enemy leveling... *ugh*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked