Why no hype for Xcom?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

No, not the shooter.

I mean the new strategy game. The original X-Com is held up as one of the pinnacles of turn based strategy and PC gaming in general, yet no one seems excited for the new Xcom strategy game, made by Fraxis no less.

Is there that little interest in the game? Or is it still under the radar?

Oh,a bit of a divergence, a friend was/is at PAX and quoted a wonderful part from the Xcom gameplay demo Q/A with a developer.

Press:"So in the original, the game had the tendency to kill off your seasoned veterans as a feature, are you continuing with that?"

Developer: No...We're making it worse"

Made me laugh and cry at the same time.

TL;DR
Why no interest in the new Xcom strategy game?

Never heard of it. That might be why

I'm also in the same boat as Hazy992, never heard of it. (RTS or FPS, if it's an FPS that is)

I've heard of it. I actually heard of it after watching a playthrough by the yogscast, and thought to myself "this seems like a great game to revamp". Then, lo and behold, it was. Can't wait to play it!

Captcha: look out! That's not a good omen...

You're talking about Enemy Unknown, right?

I was under the impression that fans of the old games were cautiously looking forward to it.

Although there hasn't been a great deal of marketing surrounding it.

Hazy992:

Lucem712:
I'm also in the same boat as Hazy992, never heard of it. (RTS or FPS, if it's an FPS that is)

This surprises me, its an old classic.

worldruler8:
I've heard of it. I actually heard of it after watching a playthrough by the yogscast, and thought to myself "this seems like a great game to revamp". Then, lo and behold, it was. Can't wait to play it!

Captcha: look out! That's not a good omen...

It looks good thus far

Zhukov:
You're talking about Enemy Unknown, right?

I was under the impression that fans of the old games were cautiously looking forward to it.

Although there hasn't been a great deal of marketing surrounding it.

We were but then the article came out on it in game informer and showed how dedicated they were to keeping the old feel.

That said there has been very little stuff around it.

Saviordd1:

Hazy992:

Lucem712:

This surprises me, its an old classic.

I was born in 92' so I'm a youngin, that's probably why I don't know about it. :P

I'm looking forward to getting into it. Haven't played the old ones though.

Lucem712:
I'm "young"

I was born in 95' so don't use the "I'm young" defense against me.

:P

Saviordd1:

Lucem712:
I'm "young"

I was born in 95' so don't use the "I'm young" defense against me.

:P

Ignorant, then! :D

This generation adhd kiddys cannot into turn based combat.

Anthraxus:

I take exception to that, me (and my friends) are REALLY into X-Com, especially the original. None of us are out of High School. The interest is there, companies rarely look into it though.

Halo Fanboy:

They're like 5 bucks on steam, worth the buy and will work on ANY common day system.

Saviordd1:

Anthraxus:

I take exception to that, me (and my friends) are REALLY into X-Com, especially the original. None of us are out of High School. The interest is there, companies rarely look into it though.

Halo Fanboy:

Their like 5 bucks on steam, worth the buy and will work on ANY common day system.

You guys are the rarity and the exception. While billions of others your age run around like crackheads playing COD.

image to you and your friends. If only there were more of you, maybe we would have more turn based goodness.

Theres a big lack of marketing for it right now so I dont think many people have heard about it. Though that may change as the development continues. I think every XCom fan already knows about it or Xenonaughts (the indie remake)

We also dont know much about the changes Firaxis is implimenting and a few design choices have left me unhappy (like the small squad requirement)

Saviordd1:

Halo Fanboy:

They're like 5 bucks on steam, worth the buy and will work on ANY common day system.

Will they look good on a modern monitor or should I swap in a CRT?

Though, I played X-Com when I was younger. I lost all interest in strategy games eventually. I'm actually more interested in the shooter reboot of the series.

I'm cautiously looking forward to it. Non-civ Firaxis games are kind of hit or miss, with the misses coming from the game being rushed for release, or not sufficiently supported after launch. Even though they are competent industry veterans, they work with a pretty small budget in order to turn a profit on these niche games, so there isn't much room for error.

Anthraxus:

image to you and your friends. If only there were more of you, maybe we would have more turn based goodness.

I'm gonna be honest and confess that turn-based combat is pure suffering for me. Though, I have a copy of Fallout waiting for me and I plan on suffering through it for the story.

I'm looking forward to it, but right now there's just not much information to really discuss. When it gets closer to release I suspect you'll see more topics and talk about it.

So fucking excited about it. Only thing I'm worried about is how the base defence missions will work since they've taken on this new 'ant farm' approach. Still, old school XCOM and customising my own soldiers? Yes please.

Halo Fanboy:

Saviordd1:

Halo Fanboy:

Will they look good on a modern monitor or should I swap in a CRT?

Nah, it uses DOS box so it'll look as good as it can. Which, considering its age, still isn't that great but I digress, a normal monitor works fine. Mines a 1680-1050 HP monitor and it looks fine.

Anthraxus:
-snip-

Yeah, even in our school the ratio of gamer to crackhead (as you put it) COD player is rather sad. Hopefully that'll change over time.

psicat:
Though, I played X-Com when I was younger. I lost all interest in strategy games eventually. I'm actually more interested in the shooter reboot of the series.

Heresy, pure heresy.

isometry:
I'm cautiously looking forward to it. Non-civ Firaxis games are kind of hit or miss, with the misses coming from the game being rushed for release, or not sufficiently supported after launch. Even though they are competent industry veterans, they work with a pretty small budget in order to turn a profit on these niche games, so there isn't much room for error.

It looks good thus far, though I suppose that can change at any time.

Lucem712:

Anthraxus:

I'm gonna be honest and confess that turn-based combat is pure suffering for me. Though, I have a copy of Fallout waiting for me and I plan on suffering through it for the story.

Believe me, try X-com, its a easy to learn-hard to master game and it shows it. I'm not normally a huge turn based buff myself (Unless its Civilization) but X-com is a bit different.

Windcaler:
Theres a big lack of marketing for it right now so I dont think many people have heard about it. Though that may change as the development continues. I think every XCom fan already knows about it or Xenonaughts (the indie remake)

We also dont know much about the changes Firaxis is implimenting and a few design choices have left me unhappy (like the small squad requirement)

Yeah, I'm gonna miss using 4+ rookies as cannon fodder, still, I've heard a lot of positive changes as well (Easier controls, new equipment, better scanning, better air combat)

Lucem712:

Anthraxus:

Maybe you need to pop a few ritalin or light up a jay before you play. image

Btw, any fans of the old X-Com GOTTA play Jagged Alliance 2. It's a monsta.

Anthraxus:

Lucem712:

Anthraxus:

It's not really the speed, though that is a bit irritating. I hate that it's not about my personal skills. If I'm playin' Skyrim I can gut a skeever in one hit, but if I'm playing Fallout and I see a rat, I click on the knife, attack and miss. That's the part I don't like.

Lucem712:

Anthraxus:

Lucem712:

It's not really the speed, though that is a bit irritating. I hate that it's not about my personal skills. If I'm playin' Skyrim I can gut a skeever in one hit, but if I'm playing Fallout and I see a rat, I click on the knife, attack and miss. That's the part I don't like.

It's not about your twitch skills/reactions, it's about your planning & strategy, more of a mental game, like chess. VERY addicting an fulfilling once you get into it.

Anthraxus:

Lucem712:

It's not about your twitch skills/reactions, it's about your planning & strategy, more of a mental game, like chess. VERY addicting an fulfilling once you get into it.

I'm always willin' to try and I have played a few turn based combat games like Digimon World 3 and Legend of the Dragoon, it's just something I try to avoid.

That being said, I've never been very good at chess.

I'm really looking forward to the other one, the shooter you called it. I haven't seen much hype, but hype has never made me want to buy a game before. I can say that Xcom will be a game i'll probably want for sure. Very Bioshock feel. :)

I have never played any of the other RTS one's and I haven't even heard about it, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

When it comes to RTS games I usually go for a more Fantasy setting, like Warcraft or Total War, though so I think Xcom for me will work better as a 'shooter'. Not that only shooting interests me, it's the setting, the character designs, the story, the gameplay mechanics and what not.

IrishAdams:
I'm really looking forward to the other one, the shooter you called it. I haven't seen much hype, but hype has never made me want to buy a game before. I can say that Xcom will be a game i'll probably want for sure. Very Bioshock feel. :)

I have never played any of the other RTS one's and I haven't even heard about it, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. :)

When it comes to RTS games I usually go for a more Fantasy setting, like Warcraft or Total War, though so I think Xcom for me will work better as a 'shooter'. Not that only shooting interests me, it's the setting, the character designs, the story, the gameplay mechanics and what not.

None of the Xcom games were real time strategy. What they were was turn based strategy with a lot more depth then most strategy games attempt to put in today. You were the commader of an international organization tasked with stopping the alien invasion and you got to do everything that that entailed from building bases to commanding your troops

Windcaler:

IrishAdams:

None of the Xcom games were real time strategy. What they were was turn based strategy with a lot more depth then most strategy games attempt to put in today. You were the commader of an international organization tasked with stopping the alien invasion and you got to do everything that that entailed from building bases to commanding your troops

Ahh, my bad. Shows how little I really know about that series. I really should have looked into it more before calling it a RTS, I guess I just assumed that from the stills I have seem from the games. Thank you for correcting me, I am sorry for my ignorance. :)

Something about that Alien invasion sci-fi genre is really hard for me to get into sometimes, but I would try any series first before shrugging it off.

So since you are a fan of the series, what is your take on the more first person reboot of X-COM?

IrishAdams:

Windcaler:

IrishAdams:

Ahh, my bad. Shows how little I really know about that series. I really should have looked into it more before calling it a RTS, I guess I just assumed that from the stills I have seem from the games. Thank you for correcting me, I am sorry for my ignorance. :)

Something about that Alien invasion sci-fi genre is really hard for me to get into sometimes, but I would try any series first before shrugging it off.

So since you are a fan of the series, what is your take on the more first person reboot of X-COM?

Its an abomination.

XCOM aliens were ALWAYS a force ABOVE a common soldier. A shooter will never work because most aliens have a trump card that makes any effort by one man worthless. Everything about XCOM was that your troops had little armor, outgunned, and outnumbered by a force infinity times bigger.

You had to use intelligence, strategy, and resource allocation to win. There were even times when a whole squad of elite troops would be killed by a single alien's shot.

Aliens that can be defeated entirely in a shooter are too weak to be called an XCOM alien.

Not only that, but they fucked the story. The continuity is fucked beyond repair. XCOM is OVER. DONE. FINISHED. After XCOM apocalypse, there were literally NO other threats humanity could face. It was already a space faring civilization with a full on military and flying cars. By XCOM apocalypse, the XCOM organization was already redundant. The only reason it was brought back was because aliens from another dimension came in. XCOM served its purpose, but humanity can take care of itself.

A story reboot of an already finished series seems like a moneygrab.

Anthraxus:
snip

Btw, any fans of the old X-Com GOTTA play Jagged Alliance 2. It's a monsta.

Ja, Jagged Alliance 2 is an excellent game...and a magnificent challenge!

I'm...I'm cautiously optimistic, but limiting the initial squad to only four is not a great sign. Still, Sid Meier.

At first my response was "what, there's toooooooons of hype for xcom, I've read a ton of interviews with the dev team on Rock Paper Shotgun alone..." Then I realized I've only seen ANYTHING about it on RPS, since they're a bunch of olden-timey PC fans. Personally, I'm incredibly excited.

I only ended up playing the original due to people ranting about it on the internet, and found it to be too obtuse and difficult to get into easily, but could definitely see what the fuss was about. I love the more up close and personal Strategy games, and this reboot looks pretty awesome.

Because it's not an FPS and there are still some dumb gamers that want us to have nothing but Call of Duty. We have to support this game if we want a better gaming industry!

im wary but hopeful. dont forget people that there have been a few attempts to reboot and they havent exactly been the best

I would like it now...

No? I have to wait more? Damn it.

Ya know, more then the future of X-com rides on this release... Seriously This is the first turn based strategy game (besides Civ) that any non Indie western developer has tried in too damn long. Seriously I freakin love this genre (Devil survivor and FF tactics for the win) and though I haven't played the orignal X-com (yet) I really am hoping that this brings a resurgence of interest to a genre that DESPERATELY needs some fresh blood. This could also bring some desperately needed attention to developers to stop nearly bankrupting themselves in the vainglorious pursuit of fidelity, looking at you Homefront.Overall I hope it turns out well. By the way I was also born in 92, just throwing it out there.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked