The current state of World of Warcraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

It'll fall apart once action MMO's like TERA are recognized as a much more rewarding and entertaining style of MMO. Everything in WoW relates to grinding, it gets old fast.

ThePenguinKnight:
It'll fall apart once action MMO's like TERA are recognized as a much more rewarding and entertaining style of MMO. Everything in WoW relates to grinding, it gets old fast.

It's been going strong for EIGHT YEARS. A small game like Tera, or even a medium-sized game like Guild Wars 2 are not going to dethrone WoW. MMO players are creatures of habit, they stick with what they know. For most, that means WoW.

The current state of WoW is basically boredom until MoP releases. PvP sucks, so your only option is to grind Dragon Soul for the next 2-3 months. I'm just taking a break for a while. I can't stand Dragon Soul at this point.

Months after the game was released people were saying it was going to die soon.

Every month...no....every week there is a thread on Swtor or another equally important mmo saying it will die out in a short time. To be honest, it has plenty of subscribers, and its not losing any as fast as our hipster minds think it is. Hell, if it goes free to play I might dick around on it still. Not a bad game to be honest. Dated games are bad? Huh, I remember people being really nostalgic about their old gaming systems and ancient video games on this site.....

guess everyone made an exception because "its WoW"

MetallicaRulez0:

ThePenguinKnight:

It's been going strong for EIGHT YEARS. A small game like Tera, or even a medium-sized game like Guild Wars 2 are not going to dethrone WoW. MMO players are creatures of habit, they stick with what they know. For most, that means WoW.

The current state of WoW is basically boredom until MoP releases. PvP sucks, so your only option is to grind Dragon Soul for the next 2-3 months. I'm just taking a break for a while. I can't stand Dragon Soul at this point.

I don't think Tera will be the end of WoW but I think games LIKE Tera will be.

You're right in that MMO players are creatures of habit, but as a former avid player of WoW I was able to detach myself from it after realizing that the entire game revolves around either getting lucky or spending dozens of hours grinding for equipment. Once people start giving the action MMO genre a chance they'll start crossing over, it won't be sudden, but it will happen.

WoW is a soul-sucking experience that will leave you a broken and agonized man. I had to schedule my entire life around the next guild raid. I fell behind on assignments, went into poor physical health and lost a few friends while I was at it. I hated every second of raiding, but there was nothing I could do about it, since the only thing to do in endgame WoW is repeat the same raids over and over again and hope for new shit, so you can do more raids and get better new shit so you can raid more and get more new shit. Starting a new character is just as painful and soul-crushing. I hate using heirlooms, but unless you want to get thrown out of random dungeons or obliterated in battlegrounds by hunters that can kill you faster than in a COD game you practically need them. Heirlooms take the fun out of leveling by speeding everything up to the point that you'll need to ignore some quests or keep moving to new zones if you want things to stay within your level without becoming trivially easy and boring. Long story short, stop playing if you are now, never start if you haven't.

I stopped playing a year ago, it was a combo of rediscovering 40k and not having anything to do but lvl alts(did it) Grind instances(yawn and frustrating to no end) and get constantly refused from my raiding guild because i had no experience(How was i supposed to get it exactly?)
Not to mention once you starting raiding it didnt end until everyone agreed.

Yeah Mists of Panderia I'm not looking forward to. The lack of a main antagonist is sorta upsetting in my opinion, while in WotLK I loved how it was all mainly focused on "Arthas is the one we need to take out, let's do this!" Cataclysm barely had that appeal it felt more like "Uh oh, the world is all shit and broken!" And now Pandaria is supposed to be that 'peaceful' era in terms of the world being attacked by a force, and supposedly going to be more about Alliance vs Horde war (I think).

Also I'm not a fan of the new talent system they have proposed. Cutting out all the talents and replacing it with a "This or That" option every 10 levels seems like it's going to be dull and annoying, and reducing any thought to some of the more interesting builds that could work.

I also find it funny that they are putting emphasis on their new pet pokemon battle system for companion pets...

Thoric485:

What's going to be funny is when it dies down and there still isn't a MMO with more than a million subs on the western market. Maybe then certain developers will realize the problem is not WoW, but their bad design choices.

It's not always about bad designs. Generally speaking, a person ends up either playing one MMO exclusively or treating any others as 'vacation MMOs'. Of course it doesn't help that there's a fear of getting creative with mechanics, themes, and what have you...

OT: I quit playing back when people were lawling over the idea of Walrus People in WotLK, but things were already stagnating. At least for me. Then I decided to do a trial of Cata and felt exactly no different about WoW than I did when I quit until I reached points where the zone had gone through a major change. Everything else, however, was nothing more than re-written subtitles to the same movie; You must collect X animal parts because we're studying how this disaster affected the animals rather than fixing a gnome's machine. Or something similar.

It wouldn't be any surprise if the things I've heard from current players is also true. That the AH is ridiculously unbalanced because gold is so easy to get at higher levels. That all, if not most, classes only need a couple of buttons to fight. That gear determines how likely you'll be to join a guild that isn't full of morons. That many people really only stay because they have friends who still play or already "invested" too much time to simply quit (and probably don't want to lose that false sense of achievement and prestige).

SecretNegative:
I was shit, it is shit, and will continue to be shit. That's my words of wisdom.

You have reached enlightenment another knows the truth, how does it feel to see the light? Good, no?

tendaji:
Yeah Mists of Panderia I'm not looking forward to. The lack of a main antagonist is sorta upsetting in my opinion, while in WotLK I loved how it was all mainly focused on "Arthas is the one we need to take out, let's do this!" Cataclysm barely had that appeal it felt more like "Uh oh, the world is all shit and broken!" And now Pandaria is supposed to be that 'peaceful' era in terms of the world being attacked by a force, and supposedly going to be more about Alliance vs Horde war (I think).

Also I'm not a fan of the new talent system they have proposed. Cutting out all the talents and replacing it with a "This or That" option every 10 levels seems like it's going to be dull and annoying, and reducing any thought to some of the more interesting builds that could work.

I also find it funny that they are putting emphasis on their new pet pokemon battle system for companion pets...

Players ask for more PvP.
Players ask for more things to do outside raids.

Blizzard adds more PvP.
Blizzard adds more things to do outside raids.

Players moan and bitch.

---
As for the talent thing; realistically, how many people actually made their own build that worked, and didn't just check EJ for the mathematically-optimal configuration of your 51 points?

I was shit?
Also the more you invest in the game the closer you are to a lower lifeform? True for some I guess but no need to be insulting.

Missed the quote

What WoW really needs is Legacy Servers. I played the game for the same reason I always have: I love exploring the world of Azeroth, and have been a fan since the first game (Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Not Pre-TBC World of Warcraft)

It's also been innovating as far as the core mechanics and engine allow it, with phasing, vehichles, and other things. Cataclysm was mostly about the pre-level 60 content at release, and it was AWESOME!

I even capped myself at Level 60 just so I could explore and do everything in Azeroth before heading to Outland. The biggest problem with Cata is the amount of Oblivion-style "Cutscenes" (Hogger and that Grimtotem guy stand out worst in my memory)

Cata did bring in a lot of phasing which was cool. I'm not sure why everybody is making it out to be the devil. All I remember is many of the nooby zones went from intolerably boring to alright to pretty good. The red ridge quest line, the stone talon mountain quest line the more meh west fall quest line. Goblin > Worgen quest lines which were both interesting but forgettable. The pandas beta quest line is scenic to say the least so as far as I know much was improved by cata and will continue to be improved in MOP. Also saying wow is dying is like saying pc gaming is dying, they have been doing it for years now but somehow it's still around.

Dark Prophet:
pandas with boobs wtf

There is a good, non-fetishie reason for this, and you'll see it by looking at all the other women in WoW. If female Pandaren didn't have humanlike breasts, then the textures for all female outfits would look terrible.
Expecting them to redo hundreds of textures for one race is just unrealistic, especially when boobs of all sorts tend to be pretty popular on the interwebs.

That being said, MoP does and doesn't bother me. I mean, there are a lot of things I shouldn't like about it from the Warcraft srs lore aspect, from pokeWoW to pandas to no big past boss, but at the same time, it looks like fun. The whole thing seems like a detour off into another MMO for a while, and it doesn't seem like they're breaking WoW lore as a whole with it, so why not sit back and enjoy the ride?

Also, with the millions of Chinese WoW players, I can't help but be happy for their getting to experience their favorite game from a fantasy version of their culture.
Or, that they will, whenever Pandaspansion finally gets to them.

Still, with TBC content being the new standard package for WoW, they should revisit the Outlands with Arakkoa and Ogres as new races. Outlands is terribly outdated, arakkoa are filled to the brim with Alliance playable race potential, and Ogres are neglected from the days of Warcraft. Have some kind of mutation with blue ogres that makes them physically weaker but mentally stronger to match the other playable races. They made the Draenei work, they can make Orgres work, too.
Outlands is just sitting there, begged to be us...

OK, I was ranting. State of WoW today? I dunno. Cata didn't really spark any interest in me and I haven't touched the thing since WotlK and never got to endgame content. :P

Empires dont die overnight. It will take a long long time until WoW will be considered well and truly dead.

Im sure that in ten years time someone will still be playing this game.

Everquest is still going isnt it?

Qitz:
Oh it doesn't need just a texture update, it needs a whole ENGINE overhaul. Don't forget, the WoW engine is the Warcraft Engine, it's hellishly old and needs to be rebuilt for WoW to do some more drastic things.

I don't see myself playing MoP because I'm losing interest in the game after WotLK and all the nerfing they did in Cata. I was one of the few people who like the Hard Heroics, when they were first released. They wouldn't have needed to completely nerf them as people were still in lawlwrath mode and trying to faceroll the instance. After some learning and gearing up, people would have been set.

That heroic thing at the start of Cataclysm was funny. After so long of seeing so much bitching on the forums about heroics being too easy, that happens. At that point the hardcore people are complaining because the game isn't using the old thoughtless insta-kill punishments for arbitrary things of vanilla WoW, and is instead requiring an actual understanding of mechanics. And the casuals are complaining because it's too hard.

I liked the instances too, and getting that volcanic drake before everything got nerfed felt like a big achievement, but the corner Blizzard backed themselves into there was just downright funny.

People can complain and bitch about WoW all day. The only fact that matters to me is I'm having more fun in Mists of Pandaria then I did in Cataclysm...

The problem isn't the graphics, they've actually aged pretty damn well. The models could use a slight update or two in both departments but overall graphics are not the problem. The problem is it's a decade old engine with game mechanics that are equally ancient.

Sexy Devil:

Qitz:
Oh it doesn't need just a texture update, it needs a whole ENGINE overhaul. Don't forget, the WoW engine is the Warcraft Engine, it's hellishly old and needs to be rebuilt for WoW to do some more drastic things.

I don't see myself playing MoP because I'm losing interest in the game after WotLK and all the nerfing they did in Cata. I was one of the few people who like the Hard Heroics, when they were first released. They wouldn't have needed to completely nerf them as people were still in lawlwrath mode and trying to faceroll the instance. After some learning and gearing up, people would have been set.

That heroic thing at the start of Cataclysm was funny. After so long of seeing so much bitching on the forums about heroics being too easy, that happens. At that point the hardcore people are complaining because the game isn't using the old thoughtless insta-kill punishments for arbitrary things of vanilla WoW, and is instead requiring an actual understanding of mechanics. And the casuals are complaining because it's too hard.

I liked the instances too, and getting that volcanic drake before everything got nerfed felt like a big achievement, but the corner Blizzard backed themselves into there was just downright funny.

Hey, I never asked for things to be harder damn it! Healing at the start of cata was a tireless frustration. Slower casting times and lower heal numbers with the same burst being pushed out from Wotlk

Baldr:
People can complain and bitch about WoW all day. The only fact that matters to me is I'm having more fun in Mists of Pandaria then I did in Cataclysm...

....Are you fucking serious>

double post.

Devoneaux:

Baldr:

....Are you fucking serious>

Now now, don't ruin his fun

Devoneaux:
Hey, I never asked for things to be harder damn it! Healing at the start of cata was a tireless frustration. Slower casting times and lower heal numbers with the same burst being pushed out from Wotlk

It actually wasn't that bad. Provided everyone else wasn't sucking there would be enough damage going that you could pretty easily heal through it. The problem arose because the DPS weren't able to break the mentality that they could just stand in one spot and focus on numbers.

Raids were a different story, yes, but even then it only really took a lot of work in the later parts of the raids. The first boss of Throne of Four Winds was a complete joke, and the first two of Bastion of Twilight and Blackwing Descent were pretty easy too.

Some of the best fun I've ever had in WoW came from those later raids though. The only night I really regretted was one where we spent 7 hours wiping on Atremedes because we were all tired as hell, and a few stubborn few would have kept whining if we didn't keep wiping.

Qitz:

truly a man with smart ideas

my opinion on wow - make some more brand new content, not talking about new dungeons etc im talking about somethign to do besides pvp, raiding, prof griding PLEASE

That's why they're introducing Pokemon!

It's still going strong and will do so for a few more years(albeit with a slight decline)...but I do want it to die out. not because I hate it or Blizzard, but because of it(one way or another) not a single MMO that came after it was nearly as popular as it was. It practically killed the MMO scene. sure there were a few minor successes here and there and the Korean scene is a whole different story, but what I want is variety, Multiple MMO's with their own unique gameplay mechanics and settings being equally successful, or at least having SOME kind of a competition, and not just WOW and ultra mega EVE nerds (jk, I think EVE is great too).

RJ 17:
I got out right around the launch of Lich King and it seems like that was the official start of the downward spiral...they're just REALLY stretching for everything they do now.

BC: Alright, finish the story with Illidan and the Burning Legion, fair enough.

LK: Sure, Arthas is still out there and we need to kick him in the nuts.

Cata: Ummm...alright...I guess....though I'm pretty sure Death Wing either died on or was marooned on Draenor.....how'd he get back to Azeroth again?

MoP: Seriously? You're turning what was an April Fools joke into an official expansion? I understand people really did want the Pandarens...but an entire expansion based off them?

Well I guess we'll get to see how WoW does when it is no longer riding the coattails of an established major villain.

look at Anarchy Online to see how a game works after you 'beat' the villain/story.

Basically, it was only supposed to run for four years, thus most of the story quests and gameplay was made around that time limit, then they said screw all to the time limit and started the expansions, which weren't too bad, but then it just got down right silly.

Oversized novelty glasses, pink tutu's, oversized boxing gloves, floating pumpkin mounts, the list goes on.

Hell, between the two PvP was what really drew me to both games, WoW was more fast paced build reliant while AO was more team tactical [until, yet again, they decided to troll most PvP'ers and nerf some things while buffing the shit out of others, then adding completely useless attacks example, Nano-Tech's attack 'rabies', only hurts adventurers who happen to be polymorphed at the moment, completely disregard that the only morphs the advy's use in pvp at the time was buffing health and attack]

What I'm getting at is, once the ideas get used up story wise, you will start to see stupid things appear in game more often, either through the game store or through expansions that really just take you out of the game.

... and I dont think I am alone in thinking that monk panda's are just a bit stupid.

Verzin:
long story short I think most MMOs are Crap because they restrict you from playing the game until you've spent dozens and dozens of hours grinding. I've had enough of MMOs. Maybe I'll check out GW2, but honestly, I think grinding is a stupid mechanic.

grinding is a way to keep you playing longer.

GW2 has no subscription model, so they don't need you to play longer, so much less grind ^-^

What's keeping me there?

Two words.

Community.

Roleplay. (Yes I do it, it's fun.)

I hold on to my subscription out of sentimentality, but really it's ridiculous for me to be spending this much money on something I so rarely use :S

I'm an antisocial bastard when I'm gaming. I love WoW's world, I love the lore, I love my characters (of which there are many...) I like to solo everything PvE and do the odd dungeon when I'm in the mood. Mostly I just like to explore, even grinding, I like to use my imagination and immerse myself.

With that in mind, it pisses me off no end when people constantly try and have conversations with me. I know that's unfair, since it is an MMO and for some people the social side is a big part of their lives, but for me it's something I dip into for a bit of escapism. I do not want to tell people about my day, or be nagged by my guildmates until I join in with their banal conversation. Having said all that, this isn't true all of the time, and I have had some really good experiences with my guild and yes, sometimes I am in the mood to chat. I just wish there was an "appear offline" option...

Given that this is my approach to the game most of the time, I don't really care about a lot of the stuff people tend to complain about. I can see where they're coming from though.

For what it's worth, I have absolutely no problem with the aesthetics/graphics/skins or anything like that. I really like the way it looks and I think it's aged really well.

Most of the stuff has aged well but if you look at a few things like the front of the gryphons face and the tentacle off the side of that dying sea creature, it looks kind of retarded. Hopefully they upgrade character models to be at least on par with the new ones. Pandas have what like over a hundred joints they can manipulate in animations and most other races have under 20 right now. Upgrading textures can easily be done whilst keeping to their art style because right now I see some things and I think I'm playing Nintendo sixty four. Fun and has aged well but so very ancient compared to everything else that's happening in games. They have huge amounts of resources with which to do it there is really not much excuse not to that doesn't leave them looking like cheap bastards.

Like I think it would be cool If trees and things did not appear so 2d in some places and had a falling leaf animation.

I also think hunters should be able to dual wield pistols and crossbows but that's beside the point.

edit

My thoughts? It's Fucked! It's dumbed down or even taken away most of the addicting challenges that made it such a good game from the start and also made it so you can buy almost every thing you had to earn, so it's become pretty much pointless (However, I heard the game play is still decent).

Yep it's dumbed down, but considering that they aren't just pandering (hurr hurr) to hardcore gamers but also to a massive crowd of casuals what do you think they were going to do. If anything easier heroics seems to be a blessing when I join groups that still can't stop standing in aoe and tarding about.

Okay, lets seperate a few points that should be seperated:

Yes, currently the content is pretty old and boring, since there are no more Cata-Patches around. But that has been the case with every single addon up to this point, excluding the point between BC and Naxx, where less than one percent of all players had cleared Naxxramas.

And yes, pretty much all the time during Cata, the subscription numbers have dropped. After having climbed for around six years.

So yes, WoW is doing bad -> compared to how WoW was <-. It is doing fine compared to every other present MMORPG, because even at one of its weakest points, before a new addon, it retains more fans and subcribers.

If you are only doing bad in comparison to yourself, then you are not really doing bad.

WoW is only a Video Game, it is not a World Religion that can expect to stay afloat for hundreds of years. A steady decline in popularity was always to be expected.

Baldr:

My biggest question is what the hell is that in the background?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked