So, gamefly has VtM: Bloodlines on sale - why haven't you played it yet?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

sumanoskae:
I have. Gameplay is shit but the story, presentation and setting are great.

It could really benefit from a remake or overhaul of some description. It wouldn't be that complicated; clean up the level design, expand on the combat, make the quests easier to follow, maybe add a couple new features to flesh out the quasi-open world. It's really just a matter of letting the player feel like a vampire while they're going through the more active parts of the game instead of just in conversation.

Well, in essence, you're saying "Activision shouldn't have ruined it".

But yeah, an overhaul would be nice, although, I doubt that's going to happen. Troika is dead and as far as I know, all the rights are left with Activision, who would be perfectly happy to see them rot. I am pretty sure that one of the major reasons they added Bloodlines on Steam is because it is no actual work for them. It's wesp5 and the others who made that game playable and (even more) worthwhile. Activision only had to say "Yeah, we're putting it on Steam" and receive the profits. Profits I'm not entirely convinced they even deserve :( They haven't shown any actual interest in improving the game, so I am seriously doubting they ever will.

DoPo:
Snip.

Aaah, the Malkavian Mod. Yeah, I remember installing this bad boy out of curiosity and uninstalling it about three days later because my puny brain could not handle the sheer what-the-fuckery of the whole thing. I tended to alternate between hilarity and "OH MY GOD, WHAT IS HAPPENING?!", more or less.

On the subject of Malkavians, I find it kind of a waste that a lot of people I've roleplayed with more or less end up copying Dev/Null from Redemption, or the Malk PC's partially nonsensical and partially insightful discourse from Bloodlines. It's left such an imprint that a lot of new RPers kind of equate Malkavians to talking like you're kookoo for Cocoa Puffs while inserting elements of exposition in metaphorical form into your jabbering.

Derangements can go in any direction supported by the DSM-IV, folks. Be creative. Schizophrenia, kleptomania, borderline personality, the Christ Complex - fuck, you could even pick one of the more tired clichés in terms of Malk Derangements and have your guy utterly deny that he is a vampire!

DoPo:

sumanoskae:
I have. Gameplay is shit but the story, presentation and setting are great.

It could really benefit from a remake or overhaul of some description. It wouldn't be that complicated; clean up the level design, expand on the combat, make the quests easier to follow, maybe add a couple new features to flesh out the quasi-open world. It's really just a matter of letting the player feel like a vampire while they're going through the more active parts of the game instead of just in conversation.

Well, in essence, you're saying "Activision shouldn't have ruined it".

But yeah, an overhaul would be nice, although, I doubt that's going to happen. Troika is dead and as far as I know, all the rights are left with Activision, who would be perfectly happy to see them rot. I am pretty sure that one of the major reasons they added Bloodlines on Steam is because it is no actual work for them. It's wesp5 and the others who made that game playable and (even more) worthwhile. Activision only had to say "Yeah, we're putting it on Steam" and receive the profits. Profits I'm not entirely convinced they even deserve :( They haven't shown any actual interest in improving the game, so I am seriously doubting they ever will.

Ehh, I can dream. If nobody dreamed good games would never even be made. Maybe someday somebody with enough influence will dream the same.

DoPo:

Chunk is actually a personification of God, who came from the heavens to watch over His flock. Also, damn amusing.

By the way, with so much talk about DE here, I was reminded of something I saw on YouTube

I found it pretty amusing - enough to overlook the bad audio editing. But the best part was 6:04 - "We're 100% black" "Me, too", I laughed out loud. Really. I'm glad there was nobody else here in the house.

Holy fuck that video is hilarious.

I'm in the mood to play some Deus Ex now.

The President of the USA is the Head Vampire! If I kill him I'll return to normal!

...I have the game on original CDs and a Steam copy...I'm going to have to play it again aren't I?

IamLEAM1983:
On the subject of Malkavians, I find it kind of a waste that a lot of people I've roleplayed with more or less end up copying Dev/Null from Redemption, or the Malk PC's partially nonsensical and partially insightful discourse from Bloodlines. It's left such an imprint that a lot of new RPers kind of equate Malkavians to talking like you're kookoo for Cocoa Puffs while inserting elements of exposition in metaphorical form into your jabbering.

Oh my god, I loved Dev/Null. But I would want to play him. Yeah, Fish Malks are a...known problem. WW even addressed them jokingly in VtM 20th Anniversary Edition[1] - the Dominate Malkavians are mentioned there - they are the ones who retained Dominate after the Great Prank and generally lean towards more subtle derangements. Their quote is "If you're expecting me to flip out and start hitting people with fish, well, you've got the wrong weirdo. I'm not here to amuse you." - White Wolf mocking the usual Malk players.

IamLEAM1983:
Derangements can go in any direction supported by the DSM-IV, folks. Be creative. Schizophrenia, kleptomania, borderline personality, the Christ Complex - fuck, you could even pick one of the more tired clichés in terms of Malk Derangements and have your guy utterly deny that he is a vampire!

Or even better - don't be creative! Bipolar Disorder is, I think, one of the easiest to portray, because it doesn't require much creativity. It's there, and it's simple. As long as people remember that bipolar doesn't mean "constant mood swings" it would be all right.

[1] By the way, I'd suggest you take a look at this, if you haven't. It is probably the best World of Darkness book ever published - new and old alike. It brings a lot of supplements and other lore into itself, it's like VtM mini-encyclopedia

Edit: Nvm I was thinking of a completely different character

Well i got the game so I don't count.

But yeh Vtm is one of those games you play for the story and rp, if you can get past the mechanics, it's a gem :')

DoPo:
Or even better - don't be creative! Bipolar Disorder is, I think, one of the easiest to portray, because it doesn't require much creativity. It's there, and it's simple. As long as people remember that bipolar doesn't mean "constant mood swings" it would be all right.

One of my earlier characters, who was both utterly unoriginal and a complete blast to play, was an NYPD detective embraced as a Malk who'd become convinced he was Sherlock Holmes. Being that we RPed in French, I didn't get to try out for his accent, but I pretty much imagined the guy as Holmes if he were voiced by Joe Pesci at his Brooklyniest. We utterly butchered one of the most beloved characters in literary history - and it was a total blast while it lasted.

I started another campaign in 1998 and decided to play a more world-weary Nosferatu, just to get a break from having to reference Holmes' adventures, which I'd still been in the process of discovering at the time. It was the kind of character that should've warranted more research and preparation, but when you're sixteen and you don't give a shit, it feels like the best idea ever.

I haven't cracked my rulebooks open since the end of high school, which freaking sucks.

I bought it. It told me to go download their client. I did. I try to log in.

The Gamefly service you are trying to reach is currently unresponsive. Please try your request again.

I REALLY hate garbage like this.

The_Lost_King:
Cause I am too busy playing KotOR 1 and 2. Also as far as old school rpgs i want to check out Bloodline is pretty low on the list

damn good man!

Hear, hear! *raises mug of liquid in the air*

(even more awesome, this gif looks up at your post!)

OT: This game always looked like it had a few interesting things going for it, but i have limited money right now and i'm saving it for some of gog's and steams summer sales, so i'll have to pass for another time :/

My first playthrough was a Malkavian. Freaking awesome it was, i just snuck around and ate people. dident even bother fighting just snuck up behind and drained their blood. tasty. Also the Dialogue for Malkavian is frigin awesome. my favorite is this gem

Samantha: What's it like being a turtle?
PC: It's like being a walking house that eats lettuce.

gmaverick019:
OT: This game always looked like it had a few interesting things going for it, but i have limited money right now and i'm saving it for some of gog's and steams summer sales, so i'll have to pass for another time :/

It will be on sale on Steam on Halloween. It always is. It may occasionally be reduced at other point in the year, though, so if you wish just keep an eye on it there.

Freaky Lou:
I bought it. It told me to go download their client. I did. I try to log in.

The Gamefly service you are trying to reach is currently unresponsive. Please try your request again.

I REALLY hate garbage like this.

:( I didn't actually buy it from there, as I have it from way back in the day. I haven't really used GameFly, either. It was one of the bigger names, so I assumed it would be OK... :/

Because it hates modern OS's.

I've tried installing it several different times and it's always fought kicking and screaming like a child who didn't get their shitty plastic buck fifty toy from the Dollar Store.

I can't be arsed to do that much work. I've got other games I know I like that don;t require half as much hassle to get working.

DoPo:
:( I didn't actually buy it from there, as I have it from way back in the day. I haven't really used GameFly, either. It was one of the bigger names, so I assumed it would be OK... :/

Well from what I'm reading on the subject, their client is a beta atm and as such is pretty glitchy. They have some suggestions, but they aren't terribly helpful.

However, if Gamefly's client ever feels like functioning, I now own VTM:B, which is a game I've been making flirty eyes at for quite a while now. I just wish it was on GoG.

piinyouri:

I've tried installing it several different times and it's always fought kicking and screaming like a child who didn't get their shitty plastic buck fifty toy from the Dollar Store.

I can't be arsed to do that much work. I've got other games I know I like that don;t require half as much hassle to get working.

Did you install the Unofficial Patch? 95% of the times, it would make it run right away, because it's usually the RAM issue - if you have more than 4 gig, the game decides it's only 15 MB and doesn't run at all. The other 5% of the time, it would be something mega weird, though.

Matthew94:

DoPo:

:/ For all it's faults, this isn't one of them. The description says that Nosferatu hide from mortals...

Yeah I saw that, I just didn't think it would be so severe. :/ I agree that was my fault on that one.

I may give it a try again when I have the time.

You gotta try Malkavians later on. But I'd pick a nice normal vamp for your first playthrough. Guns are a huge flaw, but I like it like that, makes you rely on melee (which is an absolute must to put points into) and makes you think before you rush into things.

Ordinarily I would say, "for all its faults, Bloodlines is a 10/10 game."
But it doesn't even have that many faults.
Get it.

DoPo:

piinyouri:

Did you install the Unofficial Patch? 95% of the times, it would make it run right away, because it's usually the RAM issue - if you have more than 4 gig, the game decides it's only 15 MB and doesn't run at all. The other 5% of the time, it would be something mega weird, though.

I did install it. Still sat there at the load screen.

piinyouri:

DoPo:

piinyouri:

Load screen? Is that after you launch the game or when you try to start a new one? I can't think of anything that would make the game freeze like that, though. If you've tried the compatibility modes, I don't think I can help much more. One thing, I recall is, try not to install it in Program Files. For some reason sometimes it doesn't like it there (it may be UAC related) but installing it somewhere else helps.

Nieroshai:
I have an original copy, and I love the game. Frankly though, it bugs me that the UI is blurred out. Is there a patch for this?

OK, I saw what you mean. It was really blurry, not something you can overlook. I just reinstalled the game (that is, I had it installed, I just needed to apply a new patch) and launched it vanilla - it looked quite crap. But I installed CompMod, which includes UP 5.6 and then used the ResPatch and the game looks perfect. I'm assuming the issue is with widescreens but the UP seems to work out nicely (and the ResPatch is included there). Try that.

DoPo:

piinyouri:

DoPo:

Load screen? Is that after you launch the game or when you try to start a new one? I can't think of anything that would make the game freeze like that, though. If you've tried the compatibility modes, I don't think I can help much more. One thing, I recall is, try not to install it in Program Files. For some reason sometimes it doesn't like it there (it may be UAC related) but installing it somewhere else helps.

After clicking the exe, it would go black, I think possibly bring up a load splash screen(it's been several years since I last tried this) and then hang.

gmaverick019:

The_Lost_King:
Cause I am too busy playing KotOR 1 and 2. Also as far as old school rpgs i want to check out Bloodline is pretty low on the list

damn good man!

Damn good about playing KotOR? Dude I love the .gif though and how I Met you Mother.

Those 5 bucks are going to my buy dawnguard fund so no :/

The_Lost_King:

gmaverick019:

The_Lost_King:

damn good man!

Damn good about playing KotOR? Dude I love the .gif though and how I Met you Mother.

yes sir! (I love kotor 1 and 2, combined, i have probably played those games over 100 times. literally. It's almost sick how many mods I've used and how many replays I've done. Hell I could probably ramble off 90%+ of the dialogue..*fanboy gush*)

yepp, HIMYM is definitely in my top 10 favorite shows, such a great cast and great set of writers to match.

I tried. I really did! More than once, even, over the course of years. But something about the game keeps putting me off a few hours in. I'm not even sure what, exactly. I'll start the game, play until I'm about 2-3 hours into the plot, but after I put it down to take a break, I just never have the desire to pick it back up. It isn't like I don't have fun with it, just apparently not enough fun.

The setting doesn't interest me. That's about it. I've always hated zombies and have always been sort of apathetic towards vampires.

piinyouri:

DoPo:

piinyouri:

After clicking the exe, it would go black, I think possibly bring up a load splash screen(it's been several years since I last tried this) and then hang.

Yeah, I'm lost there. There are only two things I know of that can cause it (aside from "weird shit happens with Bloodlines"):

1. a firewall /anivirus or something is blocking the exacution of the .exe and you have to unblock it (but it's hidden when the game is fullscreen). That actually happened to me with putting my laptop to sleep and/or restarting it - the screen would go black and the firewall would block something, halting the whole process. I somehow doubt it's that, though.

2. If you unpacked the .vpk files. I did that, then messed around with other stuff and the game would just freeze upon starting just as you described. But I'm pretty sure you would have noticed if you extracted the contents of the .vpk files, so I doubt it's that.

So all we're left with is "weird shit happens with Bloodlines". It may be a hardware issue bu-u-u-t, I can't really say.

I absolutely love the game. Got it already. Twice.

Because it's not for console.

To elaborate further, I have a Mac that probably wouldn't be able to run the game smoothly at even it's lowest setting. Also I find that there's a lot more to a PC game then just "being able to buy it, download it, and play it"

Because I have played it and the game wasn't that great. The vanilla game is pretty much complete ass in combat which you will have to do eventually. The characters are subjective and whom I thought were annoying. It is true that there are multiple ways to solve some situations and I commend the game for that.

The vampire races are pretty interesting, but the implementation really is just the same with different character reactions (with the exception of the nosferatu which was fairly unique)

My biggest complaint of the game is that as a vampire, you feel weak as shit. I don't know if it is just the horrible implementation of powers or just asstastic combat, but I just don't feel like a vampire. The game also lies, because guns ARE the best weapons for both vampires and humans.

The vanilla is also ridiculously glitchy (quest bugging, npc disappearing ect.) and is really only playable with mods and the unofficial patch to fix the problem. The game is ok for me but the world really isn't that interesting. The hubs are small, the storyline really wasn't that interesting (ending is a hit or miss, I liked it), and overall it is a fairly short game.

Edit: Oh yes, the implementation of the powers was so clunky that I had to enable the console to manually bind the powers so they go off on key press

Risingblade:
Those 5 bucks are going to my buy dawnguard fund so no :/

Warmahordes fan? Me too :)

OT: I already own a CD copy. Yes, the game can be clunky without patching, but it's still so god-damn enjoyable to just listen to the games dialog. And the fact that you don't get to grind for exps is a big plus in my book.

Because I'm sick to death of vampires. Television and film is way oversaturated in these serious, sexy, overpowered, god-tier, we-can-never-work, sparkles-in-sunlight vampire shows. I swear, every time I channel surf and spot a vampire soap, I get the urge to tear someone's throat out.

DingoDoom:
My biggest complaint of the game is that as a vampire, you feel weak as shit. I don't know if it is just the horrible implementation of powers or just asstastic combat, but I just don't feel like a vampire. The game also lies, because guns ARE the best weapons for both vampires and humans.

I'm not really going to argue against your opinion about whether you enjoy the game or not, that's just silly to try and say you're wrong for not liking something.

...but what you have written here is very odd.

If you are talking about the very beginning of the game (I assume you must be, for reasons later) then yes, you are weak, because you begin the game literally on the very first night of your embrace. You are meant to be weak - comparatively. You can still take half a dozen baseball bats to the face, a like amount of pistol shots at point blank range, and can further kill someone with your bare hands in about 5-10 seconds. That's really without any investments in skills too. You do still die 'easily' if you just think being a vampire for an hour means you can march in and tank 10 people with pistols knives and guns, but to me that's an unreasonable expectation. Particularly for an RPG where you grow with power as time goes on.

Which leads me to why I said I assume you must have experiences only the very beginning of the game, because even half way through you are pretty close to untouchable to most humans. High levels of Obfuscate means you are literally invisible and can stealth kill without even appearing before their eyes. There is blood magic and dementation that just instantly kills one or more humans without them having any chance of living. You trivialise humans quite early on.

As for guns being the best - obfuscate + melee or brawling = humans can't see you, can't fight you, you automatically beat every human you ever meet.

Why haven't I played it? Because it has an absurd name. Why would you have 2 separate subtitles? It would be like calling a Dragon Age: Origins sequel, Dragon Age: Origins: Dragon Slayer.

Yes, I am that petty.

Because it takes a furious dicking to run on my PC. I got it to run once right after I bought it but when I tried to start it up the next time it went back to not working and I didn't feel like fucking with it when I have so many other functional games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked