The broken rules of video gaming...

Pages PREV 1 2

MiskWisk:
What game did that?

The Wykydtron:
Are you referencing the new Metal Gear demo by any chance? God that is so bad... Forward X to parry, X to attack. Professional game design.

That is indeed what I was referring to, though Fable II and III did this as well.

Thou shalt allow the player to save at all times when it is not a function of the challenge.

Bethesda gets it, Creative Assembly really gets it, GSC Gameworld gets it.

Fuck all of you games with only autosaves + a lesser fuck you to games where you can save anywhere, but you always start out at a designated point when you load said save, ala Borderlands which ports you back to a respawner.

Resident Evil gets away with the typewriter system because being able to save anywhere in the old Resident Evils would seriously take away from the challenge and tension and make the time meta-game pointless and way too easy.

Easton Dark:
Thou shalt allow the player to save at all times when it is not a function of the challenge.

Bethesda gets it, Creative Assembly really gets it, GSC Gameworld gets it.

Fuck all of you games with only autosaves + a lesser fuck you to games where you can save anywhere, but you always start out at a designated point when you load said save, ala Borderlands which ports you back to a respawner.

Resident Evil gets away with the typewriter system because being able to save anywhere in the old Resident Evils would seriously take away from the challenge and tension and make the time meta-game pointless and way too easy.

Exactly! We're in the 21st century, damnit. There's no reason people should have to put up with that crap. Also, it's a good thing GSC gets it, can you imagine STALKER without quicksave?

sethisjimmy:
There are not and should not be any inherent "rules" not to be broken in video games.

The main problem with them is that everyone's idea of a rule never to be broken is subjective. There's no point in setting close-minded rules when anyone can pull an example where said rule was broken yet done well. Seriously. Almost any "bad game design" rule someone can bring up, someone else can provide an example of where that mechanic was used well. That's just how diverse games are.

I would instead focus on mechanics of individual games instead of trying to generalize "every time this mechanic is used in any game it must be bad because I say so".

Also, I've never played Meat Boy, but Super Meat Boy was superb and I wholly recommend it.

I agree with this chap, For many game mechanics it's not the ingredients that are bad it's just the chef who doesn't know how to cook the dish correctly. Even though eating Puffer-fish (quick time events) might be toxic normally but skillfully cooked can be palatable (in Bayonetta).

That said we all have our pet hates just as long as you know it shouldn't be some kind of golden rule for every game, barring one or two exceptions like long unskippable cutscenes and redefinable controls.

My pet hate is the use of luck in competitive action games, like shmups, fighters etc, as for action games as apposed to poker, luck, ie rolling a dice destroys the point of playing a challenging skill based game, both for those trying to beat the game, and for those competing against each other in MP or score.

It's a common fault of many devs make when they don't understand the genre they are making a game for, Sine Mora the shmup is a big offender this, where balancing of the game is abysmal and totally broken in harder difficulties where the games faults show up the most. Been unlucky in that game (ie be unlucky with random drops) and the game is impossible to beat due to the stingy timer.

7. Thou shalt not have damage/health based difficulty
If you want your game to be more challenging on harder difficulties then make it so. Don't just nerf my ability to kill and my health down to two hits. That is not a challenge. That is just an exercise in frustration management.

This. I hate when this happens, what happened to smarter enemies, new abilities or more environmental hazards. On the topic of this, Bleed does difficulty wonderfully. Levels and bosses were so excellently designed around this. Bosses had more abilities, more projectiles, cannon fodder took two hits instead of one (good use of hp increase), and it ups the difficulty in such a way that every level feels just like a slightly tougher challenge. One of my pet peeves is difficulty/difficulty curve done wrong, so to play a game that does this incredibly well was a real joy.

Thou shall not have unskippable cutscenes.

Too many violators of this rule to name..

If there is a golden rule of gaming, it's that you should NOT go backwards over the first game. In my opinion the biggest offender is Mass Effect 2. Which part? The rpg parts.

Just kidding, the unskippable splash screens in the beginning. Good lord...

Being shot through walls in XCOM always grinds my gears, it can just ruin the immersion as well as drive me up the fucking wall. At the moment, definitely what pisses me off most

The chat in your screenshots was the most amusing part of your post..

Rule 1. There are no rules in gaming. /player set Godmode 1
<Enter>

Cutscenes should be skippable. But Start should not skip the cutscenes, it should pause them and bring up a prompt to skip. If the phone rings during a cutscene I actually want to see, I'd like to be able to answer it.

Also, worse than unskippable cutscenes, IMO, is unskippable startup logos. IIRC, Borderlands for Xbox let you skip them but not the PC version. Since some games let you skip them it's clearly not a legal thing. Let the quality of the game be how you advertise your studio, not some insanely long logo animation.

FoolKiller:

3. Thou shalt not have context sensitive buttons in scenarios where you have more than one context to use
I find this to be greatly irritating in many cover shooters such as Gears of War and most recently Spec Ops. If I need to do things quickly then I can't waste time to figure out what the button does. This was really bad in Spec Ops where the A (X if you play PS3) button was sprint, hug wall, slip out of cover and heal your teammate. This worked well in the tutorial since they only ever wanted one thing from you, but when you are trying to run to cover and you stop, stand up, and heal your downed moronic monkey teammates who hop around in the middle of battlefield like dancing retards, and you subsequently die for this action it is unacceptable.

Violating this rule is even more inexcusable on the PC, where there is a whole keyboard's worth of buttons. Take Mass Effect 3(again), spacebar is sprint, take cover, slip out of cover, jump over cover, heal teammates and complete objectives. They had already improved the controls (compared to console versions) to take full advantage of the keyboard (hotkey numbers for abilities) was it really that hard to have, say, left ctrl for cover????

Zepherus14:
-Thou shall not stun-lock
-Thou shall not have unskippable cutscene that appear even when they are view for a second time.
-Thou shall not cheat (Having the computer AI cheat to ahead)
-Thou shall not introduce terrible game mechanics for no good reason (Random tripping in SSBB)
-Thou shall not steal my bacon

Kinda want to also mention the existence of the blue shell here since really, that item is completely useless. Someone in last place shouldn't care about who is in first since they need to get in front of x number of people. The only thing the blue shell does is waste an item slot for the player behind, and a headache for the person in first.

Tripping was included in Brawl for a VERY good reason: It prevents Wash Dashing. Since in Melee, you could use Wave Dashing to gain a huge advantage over the other players, and it was abuse of the physics engine.

OT:

Johnny Novgorod:
Thou shalt not trip gameplay with quick-time events.
Thou shalt not spread checkpoints thin.
Thou shalt not sneak in stealth missions in non-stealth games.
Thou shalt not make sidequest windows and cut-offs invisible.
Thou shalt not rip off GTA for sandboxes.
Thou shalt not rip off RE4 for third person shooters.
Thou shalt not rip off God of War for hack n' slashes.

Are they allowed to rip off Devil May Cry? Because we need more of those (Since right now it is limited to DMC 1-4, Onimusha, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Zepherus14:
SNIP

Tripping was included in Brawl for a VERY good reason: It prevents Wash Dashing. Since in Melee, you could use Wave Dashing to gain a huge advantage over the other players, and it was abuse of the physics engine.

Eh... when I get knocked out in a Brawl tournament just because my character forgot how to put one foot in front of the other, and tripped right into someone's smash, I don't care, it's broken and the person that implemented it should be fired. If wash dashing was that big of a problem then try to actually solve the problem, not make more.

Hell the match was down to the wire, third round of the best of three, both of us at +100% health, and that's how the match was decided? I just find it irritating, that there is a game mechanic that basically slaps the controller out of your hands for a couple seconds and lets your opponent get a free hit.

FoolKiller:

9. Thou shalt allow customisation of controls
For fuck sakes, its 2013. Let me set up the controls the way I like it. EA in particular, I don't want to use the second analog stick to shoot in hockey. It worked better with the buttons. Let me use them already. This is why I only ever buy your hockey games for $5 used anymore.

I could go on but I'm tired of typing...

Seriously, let me map my own facking controls. I don't want 4 "control scheme" options, I want to pick what buttons do which things. I can do it on all of my old-school PC games, why can't I do it on my consoles and some of the newer games?

Thou shalt let me skip all cut-scenes and tutorials by double-pushing a single button (a la The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Even if I never played the game before, sometimes I just don't care about the story or can figure out how to play on my own. Let me skip the crap and actually play the game.

Thou shalt not have forced tutorial sections.

Thou shalt not ruin the formula that made your game great

Thou shalt not say "we don't make grindy games" and then make the grindiest game in the world

Thou shalt not ban players arbitrarily for mistakes YOU make

Thou shalt remove bots in a timely fashion, without penalising regular players

Thou shalt design a modern game that scales to modern systems, regardless of how much of your userbase is still running your game off their overclocked toaster

Can you tell what I'm talking about already?

Well here's a hint

Anathrax:
*snipped*

Oh yeah I remember that badge. The easiest impossible badge at that time, and should still be probably.

IT wasnt THAT bad man, you are overexaggerating it alittle bit. Your points are still kinda valid, but still...

of all the points your mentioned, other than the obvious (Bad controlls, cofusing background with object, etc) I think the most important one to me is hitboxes. Fuck you hitboxes, I hate them in every single game (Well, "hate" is too strong, but I dont really like them), it feels so shitty when I see that I hit visually an enemy with my gun/sword/whatever the fuck I am using and they not taking damage because of hitboxes not matching with their model... It has happended in a GOOD lot of games I have played, I dont know if I just have bad luck or what, but it seems like bad hitboxes follow me everywhere.

Its a minor thing, but then again for some reason it just happens to be present in a lot of games I played so I kind of hate it by now.

Thou shalt not give the player the ablity to jump while making it impossible to jump on anything and serves no game related function.

Beat14:
Hm, it might not be a holy rule of gaming, but it seems pretty important to me, and that is when enemies can hit you through a wall not because their weapon allows for it. My example of this would be dark souls, I doesn't happen often but the few times I've died from being hit by a silver knight through a wall I can remember compared to countless other deaths I have had.

beat me to it.

Thou shalt not have stupid and illogical game over conditions: protagonist dies, everyone else at full health = game over in Persona

MiskWisk:
What game did that?

Odin Sphere.
An astoundingly beautiful and generally fantastic game, but blocking by holding the attack button is just beyond bad. They should fire the guy that came up with that shit.

How about thou shalt not make getting all the dialog from companions so difficult as to require contriving one's entire play through strategy upon it? Replaying DA:Awakenings at the moment and I'm having a heck of a time trying to make sure everyone's got all their talky time in for my import save's sake and delaying missions to do it. Breaks immersion, makes something enjoyable into something tedious, all kinds of annoyance to be had.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked