"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

AgentLampshade:
For me, it's Ripper mode in Metal Gear Rising. I got all the way to the last chapter wondering why my Blade Mode meter turned red. Then after being stuck on a fight for a while, I looked up a VR tutorial. I was like "wait, what?! That makes everything SO much easier!"

I didn't realize you could block the Metal Gear Ray's headbutts and tail whips.

Would've been a good thing to know on my vengeance playthrough...

Zhukov:
[strike]
Planetside 2: YOU CAN STEER THE DROP PODS?!

This! So much this!

Also PS2: YOU CAN RESUPPLY YOUR VEHICLE'S AMMUNITION?

DAGON IS BUILT FROM NULL TALISMAN?

Me learning nyx for the first time, I've been playing dota 2 for nearly a year now and never knew that null talisman was built into something useful.

and:

YOU CAN KILL THE T4 TOWERS AND ANCIENT WITH OUT GETTING BARRACKS AS LONG AS 1 T3 TOWER GOES DOWN?

Learned that thanks to top 10 plays on dotacinema

YOU'RE PROTECTED FROM ELECTROCUTION BY EMP SHIELDING?

In Human Revolution, I was under the impression the EMP shielding augmentation only protected you from the effects of EMP grenades. When I activated it on my run-and-gun playthrough and accidentally walked into a puddle with a live power line in it, I thought that was the end of me. Much to my surprise, Jensen just shrugged it off as if it were nothing.

Also:

YOU CAN ROTATE THE DRAGON'S CLAW?

In the first barrow quest in Skyrim, I had no idea what the combination was to enter the tomb in the barrow near Whiterun. I looked everywhere, and eventually just brute-forced it (There's only 27 possible combinations, so it didn't take long). It wasn't until much later where I twiddled the right analogue stick while browsing my inventory, and the item rotated. I then found out the code was inscribed on the back of the golden claw all along.

YOU CAN SHOOT THEIR LIMBS OFF?! - Dead Space 3

I kid.

Mine have already been mentioned though.

I took me a while to realise in Skyrim you could sprint and rotate the dragon claw's. With sprinting I was aware that stamina affected power attacks, but didn't know you could run faster. With the dragon claw's I just went through the combinations.

I didn't find out you could hold down the button to drink water continuously until sometime during Fallout New Vegas. This is coming from somebody who played Fallout 3 and all of it's DLC's.

I was on my second or third playthrough of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City when I realized you could shoot straight ahead while riding a motorcycle.

I just sat and stared at the screen for a moment.

Moonlight Butterfly:
Lol jontron <3

YOU CAN SHOOT UP? in Cave Story + I felt like a total idiot ><

Related...

YOU CAN SAVE CURLY BRACE? *cue tears of joy and immediate restart of game*

Also jontron? Where?

When I first played Morrowind on the Xbox I saw a message in the corner of the screen. "You have leveled up. Rest and meditate on what you have learned". I didn't realise that you had to rest to actually go up a level, by the time I figured it out I was at level 7-8. Needless to say the game suddenly got a lot easier.

I also remember a moment in a browser game (the name of which eludes me) when I was stuck trying to jump up to a ledge but couldn't quite reach. I spent ages pushing a box across the level to use it as a step only to find out you could double jump. I stopped playing.

Mario Party 2 ey.

I didn't know you could do a drop attack in Dark Souls until I saw someone do it to the demon in the tutorial area.

BOTTLE CAPS ARE CURRENCY?

...after like 30 hours into first fallout 3 playthrough

Metal Gear Solid for the PS1:

THE CODEC FREQUENCY IS ON THE BACK OF THE BOX.

What box? This cardboard one? I thought they were just for hiding in? Oh, it would appear it is as there's nothing written on the outside, even when zooming in. Oh well, time to try every single frequency until I find the right one.

Weeks later, casually looking at the box...

WHAT THE FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...!

putowtin:

Fieldy409:
I remember once my friend was wathing me play Mass Effect one, and when I made the Mako jump he was like "What?!?! you can do that?" Then when I zoomed in with the cannon he lost his shit.

When I finally convinced my best mate to play Mass Effect she kept texting me saying she couldn't get past the geth on Noveria cause her "stupid tank" didn't have guns, after explaining that it not only had guns, but rockets and that you could zoom in with said cannons she lost it too!

That was my reaction too! "I not only have a SMG turret and rockets,but CAN JUMP TOO? Despite the gripes behind the Mako sections odf the game,I really had fun with it, and would have like them to focus it,improve on the controls.

For me, I completely forgot you could kick in Dark Souls until I got to my second playthrough. After the tutorial the first time through I completely forgot it existed.

putowtin:

Fieldy409:
I remember once my friend was wathing me play Mass Effect one, and when I made the Mako jump he was like "What?!?! you can do that?" Then when I zoomed in with the cannon he lost his shit.

When I finally convinced my best mate to play Mass Effect she kept texting me saying she couldn't get past the geth on Noveria cause her "stupid tank" didn't have guns, after explaining that it not only had guns, but rockets and that you could zoom in with said cannons she lost it too!

I made it halfway through before I found out that the Mako had that cannon thing. I made it all the way through to Virmire, only using the little blue rapid-fire thing that apparently fires blue peas.

Jumping in Dark Souls.

I did it by accident after shitting myself at the size of the many legged beasty that lives in the sewers and running off in a panic (so at least 15 or so hours in).

I then looked it up in forums to discover you can indeed jump in Dark Souls by double tapping the B button and was enlightened by an action that I singularly failed to pull off every time I tried to jump a gap and would watch wearily as my character simply somersaulted into oblivion.

Seriously, this probably cost me more souls than trying to take on the Laurel and Hardy bosses in Anor Londo by myself. Just goes to show that such discoveries are not always welcome...

In Killzone 2, fighting the ATAC.

THERE'S A PLACE WITH COVER RIGHT BELOW YOU?!

Did that fight hiding behind that one little pillar. On both normal AND elite difficulties. Was quite miffed when I learned about this.

BloodWriter:
This whole thread could be about Deus Ex with every new find on subsequent playthroughs.

My first was "YOU CAN KILL

"

Agreed. Mine, and not until my third playthrough, was:

I don't mean to undermine this thread, because its a fun one, but before the internet, I think this was actually a major part of the gaming experience. There are too many to count or remember from my youth.

One that sticks out for me is YOU CAN KEEP LEVELLING UP FOR EXTRA LIVES (into hexidecimal) in Zelda 2: Adventure Of Link. You're bound to die a ton of times on the final stretch of what is easily the most difficult Zelda title, but it turns out that there is a way to get so many lives that you can withstand a few deaths and play the game "trial and error" style, like you would any other, instead of "trial and fucking start over" that the game imposes on you. It just requires a few hours of mind-numbing grinding.

When first played Demons Souls I tried blocking Tower Knights attacks, and was promptly murdered. I took away from this that you can't block boss attacks. I made it through the whole game like that, and beat it with much difficulty frustration. I yelled so many times that "IT'S TOO HARD TO DODGE ALL THESE ATTACKS"

Then playing Dark Souls and I was having trouble beating the Tartrus demon because he would knock me off or I would roll off the bridge and one of my friends pointed out casualty that "If you stopped trying to be fancy and dodge you would kill him easy." To which I replied "But you can't block bosses right, like in Demons Souls" and then in a confused tone he pointed out "You can block boss attacks in Demons Souls too."

"YOU CAN BLOCK BOSS ATTACKS IN THE SOULS GAMES!"

Another:
Was playing Metal Gear Rising last week.

The last boss was kicking my ass, when I accidentally pushed a and x at the same time, and discovered that there is a dodge move. WHAT!?!?!? This entire game I had a dodge move!!!!

...you had to BUY that move, dude

Zhukov:
YOU CAN PUSH THE LITTLE HOOD BIT UP OFF THE CLI

*ahem*

Planetside 2: YOU CAN STEER THE DROP PODS?!

No more landing on cliff sides. Still haven't managed to land on any enemies though.

I landed on on plane once. I just pissed it off, while I was treated to a fiery inferno.

Anyways when I started playing Planetside 2 THE INFILTRATORS CAN TURN INVISIBLE?!

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos:

AgentLampshade:
For me, it's Ripper mode in Metal Gear Rising. I got all the way to the last chapter wondering why my Blade Mode meter turned red. Then after being stuck on a fight for a while, I looked up a VR tutorial. I was like "wait, what?! That makes everything SO much easier!"

I didn't realize you could block the Metal Gear Ray's headbutts and tail whips.

Would've been a good thing to know on my vengeance playthrough...

once you know that, RAY is actually easier on high difficulty, because his attacks actually stick to a schedule

So many of these in Dwarf Fortress, mostly due to its abyssmal UI and lack of tutorials.

For me, the greatest one by far is "D-B-D IS AN AREA DUMP?"

Never again will I have to press a million buttons to clear a room of rocks.

Phuctifyno:

BloodWriter:
This whole thread could be about Deus Ex with every new find on subsequent playthroughs.

My first was "YOU CAN KILL

"

Agreed. Mine, and not until my third playthrough, was:

I don't mean to undermine this thread, because its a fun one, but before the internet, I think this was actually a major part of the gaming experience. There are too many to count or remember from my youth.

One that sticks out for me is YOU CAN KEEP LEVELLING UP FOR EXTRA LIVES (into hexidecimal) in Zelda 2: Adventure Of Link. You're bound to die a ton of times on the final stretch of what is easily the most difficult Zelda title, but it turns out that there is a way to get so many lives that you can withstand a few deaths and play the game "trial and error" style, like you would any other, instead of "trial and fucking start over" that the game imposes on you. It just requires a few hours of mind-numbing grinding.

I kind of managed to do both of these on my first playthrough.
The first one by accident, seeing as I accidentally equipped a proximity mine and thought I had "wasted" it.
The second one because I decided "FUCK THIS SH*T, THIS IS NOT HOW I AM GOING TO DO THIS, EAT FLAMETHROWER"

Also, I usually find every ability in a game, simply because I have the urge to press all the buttons all the time until I figure out which button does what.
And I always see if pressing a button longer will get ma laser charged etc.

For me it would probably be "YOU CAN CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY IN OBLIVION?!" I can't tell you how many times I had gotten my ass kicked before I found out about that.

MajorTomServo:
-snip-

Came for the Game Grumps reference in the title. Stayed for interesting subject.

OT: Skyrim. I didn't know that I could spend those dragon souls that I had been saving up to unlock new shouts any time I wanted. I thought I would get to unlock more as part of the main quest or something, so I didn't actually begin to question it until after spending at least 40-something hours in the game using my just measly Fus-Ro-Dah all the while with a stockpile of dragon souls.

EDIT: Oh yeah, rotating the Dragon Claw too. I don't know if it was more intuitive on consoles or not, but I had no idea I could rotate items on the PC so, after getting tired of doing the first couple doors through trying every combination, I resorted to having the claw item out and ramming it into counters/walls/etc. to rotate it. XD

MajorTomServo:
Alternate title: "YOU CAN TONGUE UP?"

Ever play a game so often, and feel like you know it so well, only to discover some major ability you never noticed before?

For example, Mega Man 2 is my number one favorite game. It was the first game I ever played, and I was raging over Air Man before I could read. Just a couple of days ago, I found out that you can shoot Metal Blade in any direction. WHAT? I had no idea. All these years. I thought the main advantage was just the bigger projectile.

Also, to a lesser extent, I was four hours into Fallout 3 before I found out you could jump.

So, how about you?

I have possibly the supreme on here.

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

Also when I first played Sonic 3 I didn't know how to charge up a spin attack but that was when I was like 4.

A few incidents in RDR or something like that where I just had no clue how to do something.

THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.

Just yesterday found out that Fallout 3 had quick key slots on the controller...no more pausing mid battle to equip something, and then having to unholster it just to slash at an incoming Super Mutant with a super sledge while playing on the hardest difficulty.

Ryank1908:
THE ANSWER TO THE PUZZLE IS ON THE DAMN CLAW?!

When I first played Skyrim, I was following through the main story missions, and got to the part where I had to open a door using a Golden Dragon Claw. When I got to the door in the depth of a murky ruined cave, I found an obstacle; a door, with three circles around a lock, which you could rotate. The rings had different pictures on them and I guessed I had to work out what the proper combination was.

I must have spent at least an hour, first just fiddling around, second, scouring the murals on the walls near the door for some kind of hint to the combination, and finally, just fucking hammering those buttons in every single possible combination. When I finally got it, I went on the internet to see if there was some kind of logical explanation for it, and sure enough... the combination is on the back of the claw the whole time. I did not know you could look at items in your inventory in that 3D view and I really didn't know it would somehow be a vital skill to learn for a mandatory bloody story quest.

I hate to admit that it took me a week to figure that out after I bought the game, while my friends were several hours ahead of me...

SkarKrow:

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

... Fuck that ...
Did you just grind your ass off for stats or what? Because Guadosalam is actually a decent ways into the game with some pretty tough bosses prior that pissed me off even with a developed sphere grid. lol

I used to play the crap out of Worms Armaggedon, but the airstrikes were always a pain in the ass to do, since I thought that you could only do them in one direction. Well after accidentally clicking the directional buttons on the keyboard, you could tilt them to the left, rather than just the right. It really helped out -- I started winning a lot more matches.

Oh I got another one.

Final Fantasy 7 was my first real JRPG play-through and I was at Cosmo Canyon doing fine until that boss at the end of that place. You know, the undead guy. Obviously, the easiest way to beat him is to use some powerful healing item on it such as a Phoenix Down or an X-Potion. Things that you get moments before the encounter. However, being my first game like this, I did not realize that this tactic was a thing, so I tried to actually fight the guy. After something like 3 or 4 hours of dying, grinding, and repeating, I finally gave up and asked my brother to do it. I felt pretty dumb when he beat it in less than a minute then handed me back the controller.

EDIT: Should mention that my brother is kind of an ass and knew the whole time that I could beat it easily, but didn't tell me because my frustration was funny to him.

YOU CAN GET EXCALIBUR BY DIPPING YOUR SWORD IN A FOUNTAIN?
YOU CAN GET STING BY NAMING AN ELVISH DAGGER? AND ORCRIST?

Nethack is chock full of these. Throw cockatrice eggs. Float over a sink when unwillingly levitating. Chat with priests. Name unidentified-yet-known items. (Bags of holding, for instance)

KefkaCultist:

SkarKrow:

... Fuck that ...
Did you just grind your ass off for stats or what? Because Guadosalam is actually a decent ways into the game with some pretty tough bosses prior that pissed me off even with a developed sphere grid. lol

I had spent almost all my money on potions and yeah I actually was sphere level 99 when I figured it out. I was wondering why everything was so hard and bosses were taking hours and why those summoners were so friggin hard to fight (it still took me a while to figure out how to level up summons _). As you can imagine once I found that menu opening button the game got a hell of a lot more easy.

Oh and I didn't have a manual, fucking pre-owned games. I can get throwing away a cardboard box but why the manual!?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked