60% (81)
Both
16.3% (22)
16.3% (22)
Neither
5.9% (8)
5.9% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Persona 3 or Persona 4? Which Persona is better for you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Persona 3 had a much more satisfying ending. The ending is where I really think P4 dropped the ball.

Persona 4 might have the slight edge, but Persona 3 does so many things that 4 doesn't do and well that goes both ways. They're both fantastic games and I don't see how you can go wrong with either, but if I was to recommend one over the other it would be Persona 4 if only because you don't have to rely on partner AI to potentially ruin you in a difficult fight.

Risingblade:
Persona 3 had a much more satisfying ending. The ending is where I really think P4 dropped the ball.

THen you should try Persona 4: Golden, that additional epilogue is sooooooo awesome!

jehk:

I know right! Pretty exciting. The new team and Elizabeth investigating "The Seal" (avoiding spoilers here). Sadly, I'm dreading a Squaresoft / Final Fantasy thing where the quality in games slowly drop. Doesn't have to be that way. P4A was a very pleasant surprise storywise. It's half the reason I'm excited.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon, there are just 4 (not including re-releases) Persona games and all of them are pretty critically acclaimed, plus, they take soooo much time to develop them.

This is difficult for me as both games are outstanding. I can't really say which one I like more. The gameplay, story, and characters were all top notch in both games. However, if I had to pick I'd say I slightly prefer Persona 3's story and characters, but think Persona 4 made some improvements to the actual gameplay itself.

Sack of Cheese:
I prefer P4, it has more variety!! Plus, P3 was a little too depressing for me.

jehk:
I feel like you should distinguish been the male and female protagonists in Persona 3. Sure, I agree with your point about P3 social links not influencing combat. However, the majority of the P3 female protagonists were written after P4. The experience shows. Really makes me hopefully for P5.

For me its Persona 3 (female protag) >> Persona 4 >>>>>>>> Persona 3 (male protag).

She's actually fun to play as, yes? Very bubbly!! Where as P4's brotagonist feels a bit snarky and P3's brotagonist was... hmm, I have nothing!

MMC in P3 was a much better character than Yu Narukami. Yu just felt... so damned bland. At least MMC had some semblence of a personality, however small.

However, from the few short hours I have spent with FeMC in P3 (PSP sent to get fixed, due to a disc tray issue), is by far my favorite of the three. Such personality and so different compared to the rest of them. Although it is going to feel weird when I have to get in a relationship.

OT: Out of the ones I have played: P3 > P2 (complete) > P1 > P4. Mind you, I have only briefly played P4 so I am not really sure how it evolves later in the game, but so far (the first 4 hours) bored me. I plan on picking up Golden once I buy a Vita from Japan (Smarter than buying one in the US!).

Capitano Segnaposto:

However, from the few short hours I have spent with FeMC in P3 (PSP sent to get fixed, due to a disc tray issue), is by far my favorite of the three. Such personality and so different compared to the rest of them. Although it is going to feel weird when I have to get in a relationship.

Oh I wouldn't worry if I were you, Aigis is still "canon" for FeMC! And Mitsuru too, sort of?

Capitano Segnaposto:

MMC in P3 was a much better character than Yu Narukami. Yu just felt... so damned bland. At least MMC had some semblence of a personality, however small.

I kinda have to agree with this. The strength in Persona 4 were the other characters and the overall story.

IllumInaTIma:

Risingblade:

THen you should try Persona 4: Golden, that additional epilogue is sooooooo awesome!

I did, and I still feel it's inferior to P3 since it didn't leave me with the same sense of satisfaction.

Xcell935:
Oh geez here we go...

Overall both games are fantastic and deserve the praise they get.

mfeff:
I suspect the series is over though, which is a shame.

Ha! Persona 5 is in development friend: http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/8/8/3228107/persona-5-development-underway-says-atlus

True this, both games are excellent in their own ways. As far as Persona 5, I had heard about that before Catherine dropped, then we got the P4 fighting game. I had heard/read/imagined that the artist behind the series/DD summoner had left Atlus, or was otherwise gone... or some such and it was then that I figured the gig was up.

It's interesting news, but no screenshots... seems sketchy. Although on the topic of Persona the anime was pretty decent. Trinity Soul. Makes me wonder what direction a dyed in the wool RPG will take going forward?

Irridium:
Out of the two, I prefer 4. But I enjoy them both very much.

mfeff:
3 is the better "game", 4 is the better "product". Although all in all, considering it... the persona games have never let me down, that said I did find FES tedious (at best). I suspect the series is over though, which is a shame.

Rejoice! It is not!

http://kotaku.com/5932878/the-people-who-make-persona-are-now-focusing-on-persona-5

Still in early development, though... but still! Persona 5!

I keep getting quoted on this! hehehehe! Like I mentioned in a previous post it was something that was mentioned some time ago... (shortly after P4) but then we got Catherine and the Fighting game... not sure how serious I take idle chatter... need screenshots... maybe a demo...

I mean... I got some concept art of me driving a Lamborghini Reventon... but that don't make it so! =D

I still haven't gotten very far in Persona 4, but I already liked the protagonist and setting better.

Teddy grates on me though.

The Wykydtron:
I kinda sorta absolutely despised the main character in Persona 3

he really did seem like he didn't give a flying shit about anything, did he =P
which is amazing in itself because he never says anything at all (the little options things from dialogue do not count)

OT: sure Persona 3 had the awesome Metis, Aigis, Yukari and Bropei, but I think Persona 4 is way better mainly on the gameplay
after all, in P4, you do not have to rely on the mercy of your allies' forced AI

also Persona 4 has Chie and Teddie
although Persona 3 has Elizabeth...

teh_Canape:

And Aigis! Her whole plight of trying to find purpose.. dem feels.

I've only literally just started Persona 3, like "just beat the 3 shadows on the fifth floor" just started started, so my opinion is admittedly skewed, but I preferred P4 more. The whole "tired" mechanic feels rather restrictive, and having to rely on the AI during combat is annoying as hell. No comment on the story, since, again, I've barely started. I like the way shuffle works in P3, giving you something useful to aim for other than just persona cards. But yeah, being unable to control my teammates is really off-putting.

wintercoat:
I've only literally just started Persona 3, like "just beat the 3 shadows on the fifth floor" just started started, so my opinion is admittedly skewed, but I preferred P4 more. The whole "tired" mechanic feels rather restrictive, and having to rely on the AI during combat is annoying as hell. No comment on the story, since, again, I've barely started. I like the way shuffle works in P3, giving you something useful to aim for other than just persona cards. But yeah, being unable to control my teammates is really off-putting.

Try P3P instead before you get too far along, seriously. The game has evolved a lot over the years. You can really feel it.

P4 without a doubt, characters were some of the most likeable you would ever see in a game, the rural town theme was fresh and created a atmosphere that can only be described as lovable, the mystery had you intrigued and the idea of levels each being the representations of each characters hidden feeling and the final boss being the confrontation with those hidden feeling is genious and does wonders to make an already lovable cast even more lovable.
Only thing P3 has against it is the final boss and some of its music.

I like them both for different reasons, Persona 3 had a darker tone which I enjoyed more, Persona 4's a bit too light at times but it wins hands down in characters (take a guess who's my favourite) and gameplay.

Towards the end of Persona 3 you had to grind like fuck, so that instantly works against it. But apart from that Persona 3 had a better combat system, game mechanics, better rounded characters, superior voice acting and just generally better. I still liked 3 though.

I haven't played either as they are yet to add them to the PSN store for the PS3.

A shame, as they are the only games left out of the "cult classics" I haven't tried yet.

I have managed to get hold of System Shock 2, Silent Hill 2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

3 was good and all but I really preferred 4 with its tighter design and even more focus on the great characters.

Persona 4 Golden without a doubt. I played P3P for a bit but once I got P4G I just stopped playing P3P because Golden was sooooooo much better.

jehk:

teh_Canape:

And Aigis! Her whole plight of trying to find purpose.. dem feels.

yeah, despite that as a game, the Answer was quite tedious
I do wish Metis was more than a glorified persona with a persona of her own though =P

Play Persona 2 it tops them easily.

I'm working on P3P right now and I have to say... 4 is better in almost every single way. I understand if people like the style of 3 more, but the gameplay is worse, there's too much grinding in generic dungeons, and the characters aren't nearly as relatable as 4's. None of the social links I've finished in 3 so far have resulted in anything very notable. Plus, for the first 15 hours or so, the entire story of 3 is nothing more than "you fight monsters because you can." the surreal murder mystery plot in 4 was just... cool. I do like how the plot and characters are developing in 3, though. 4 kind of stalled at points because the team would take too long to figure something out.

To the people comparing the main characters: Seriously? They're both blank slates.

teh_Canape:

I do wish Metis was more than a glorified persona with a persona of her own though =P

Well, she was more of a shadow actually, like Teddie.

ajapam:

To the people comparing the main characters: Seriously? They're both blank slates.

Kind of... They're not fully blank slates. If you read their dialogue you do see some sense of personality. Although in the case of Persona 4...

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Yu_Narukami

The protagonist has a full canon personality, background and name now.

IllumInaTIma:

teh_Canape:

that's what I meant, except that unlike Teddie, she "isn't real" =P
to me, Metis felt kind of like a character you like end up dying

I have to go with Persona 4. There wasn't a single main character I didn't like, I can't think of any other games I can say that about.
I liked Persona 3's characters too, but I can't even remember much about any of them that weren't Junpei, Akihiko or Shinjiro. Plus Persona 3 was a lot darker overall.
That's not a bad thing, I just preferred 4's happier tone. Moar yellow.

I'd have to say Persona 4, as I couldn't be asked finishing 3, the social links weren't as good. 4 has superior characters and story but its a god damn grind fest, the game would be a million times better if they just designed it to require less grinding. I could do the real life part of the game for hours, but slogging through the copy and pasted dungeons with one fight song and balls up the walls hard boss fights, made playing the actual a game a chore after a while. Persona 3 had the same issue too much grind.

Atlas need to take ideas from the Tales series where the tiny amount of grind is just beautiful! If you asked me if I'd play Persona 4 again I'd say "NO I have a life to live man", if you asked me if I'd play a Tales game again I would say yes because they feel so casual to play, but at the same time they are also a hardcore jrpg.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it though its just something that wants a lot of your time, too much time if you ask me. It needs a 3ds release where you can just shut the lid and come back to it whenever you want (the vita one doesn't count because no one has a vita).

teh_Canape:

IllumInaTIma:

teh_Canape:

that's what I meant, except that unlike Teddie, she "isn't real" =P
to me, Metis felt kind of like a character you like end up dying

She will be alive in Aigis' heart... I don't think they're done with her, i'm sure she will have something to do in P5. Can you imagine super robot team of Aigis, Metis and Labrys?! They will be like Charlie's Angels! (or, more like Minato's angels)

TizzytheTormentor:
There was also my friends interpretation of Yu being a sociopath and his theory held water, after all, your so called friends are a means to an end, you only hang out with people at school to raise your social link to fuse stronger Personas, once its maxed, you never hang out with them again (outside of story) and your friends would never hang out with one another without you there (with the exception of Chie and Yukiko) It is obviously not the message being conveyed, but still interesting.

This is my biggest gripe with the game. I recently read a Kotaku article by a guy living in Japan complaining about how everything there is bullshit. The gist of it is that he feels the Japanese have made life into a game, with all their arbitrary rules and conventions. I'm taking the article with a grain of salt, but that's exactly how I felt playing Persona 4.

The protagonist is of the Fool arcana, or a "wild card" as Igor puts it. What this means, gameplay-wise, is that while everyone else is stuck on a single Persona, the protagonist can change his Persona to best suit the situation. Not just in combat, but in social situations as well. He "makes friends" by assuming a matching Persona, while having none of his own. He's "fake".

Everything is reduced into a statistic. The "real world" portion of the game revolves around Social Links and increasing the protagonists parameters. Self-improvement is fine and all, but the game judges your self-worth by how well you can min-max your limited schedule. Even relationships are measured in levels. One of the most egregious examples of this is before the midterms when the game flat out tells you that if you do well on this test, you'll get to be popular (and popularity is power)! Well, shit. If these people don't want to be my friends unless I ace this test, then maybe I don't want them to be my friends in the first place! I'm not that needy.

Yes, Persona 4 actually is a game, but I'm too disturbed by the implications.

Also, Contrarian King is the worst designed boss in any game, ever. Fuck you Contrarian King!

I really enjoyed Persona 4, but having played some of the darker entries of the main franchise and the first two Persona games (both of which have a pretty grim atmosphere), Persona 4 just felt too cutesy and happy for me.

I play SMT games to feel the slow build-up of the wrongness of a situation and the tough moral choices. Despite the murders going on I just didn't get that in Persona 4 and that really threw me off. In Persona 3 you had some shenanigans, but the looming threat of final boss never leaves and the last few months of the game; the emptiness of the city and the general sense of fear and worry you feel simply walking around and talking to people is soul crushingly beautiful. So, for me, Persona 3 is the stronger entry of the series despite battle system issues and social links.

Also, I had this weird irrational hatred of Yosuke for the longest time and every time he showed up it'd make me roll my eyes. He redeemed himself in The Arena for me though, maybe because he finally grew up a bit? I dunno.

excalipoor:

TizzytheTormentor:
There was also my friends interpretation of Yu being a sociopath and his theory held water, after all, your so called friends are a means to an end, you only hang out with people at school to raise your social link to fuse stronger Personas, once its maxed, you never hang out with them again (outside of story) and your friends would never hang out with one another without you there (with the exception of Chie and Yukiko) It is obviously not the message being conveyed, but still interesting.

This is my biggest gripe with the game. I recently read a Kotaku article by a guy living in Japan complaining about how everything there is bullshit. The jist of it is that he feels the Japanese have made life into a game, with all their arbitrary rules and conventions. I'm taking the article with a grain of salt, but that's exactly how I felt playing Persona 4.

The protagonist is of the Fool arcana, or a "wild card" as Igor puts it. What this means, gameplay-wise, is that while everyone else is stuck on a single Persona, the protagonist can change his Persona to best suit the situation. Not just in combat, but in social situations as well. He "makes friends" by assuming a matching Persona, while having none of his own. He's "fake".

Everything is reduced into a statistic. The "real world" portion of the game revolves around Social Links and increasing the protagonists parameters. Self-improvement is fine and all, but the game judges your self-worth by how well you can min-max your limited schedule. Even relationships are measured in levels. One of the most egregious examples of this is before the midterms when the game flat out tells you that if you do well on this test, you'll get to be popular (and popularity is power)! Well, shit. If these people don't want to be my friends unless I ace this test, then maybe I don't want them to be my friends in the first place! I'm not that needy.

Yes, Persona 4 actually is a game, but I'm too disturbed by the implications.

Also, Contrarian King is the worst designed boss in any game, ever. Fuck you Contrarian King!

I always got around this stuff by projecting myself onto the main character. I just hung out with whoever I liked the most, and when someone was being a bitch (looking at you, Ai) I'd tell them off, so he didn't feel "fake." Of course on replays that kind of went out the window and I just tried to get as many social links as possible.

Still, I'm hoping 5 can somehow get around the stuff you're complaining about. Maybe revamp the social links a bit so that the player has an incentive to focus on the ones they like the most rather than trying be the most popular person in the world, and the main character is sort of implicitly defined through those. And let the player have more unique relationships with the other characters that are defined by your dialog choices. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but it would be pretty cool

ajapam:
I'm hoping 5 can somehow get around the stuff you're complaining about. Maybe revamp the social links a bit so that the player has an incentive to focus on the ones they like the most rather than trying be the most popular person in the world, and the main character is sort of implicitly defined through those. And let the player have more unique relationships with the other characters that are defined by your dialog choices. Maybe I'm asking for too much, but it would be pretty cool

I'm not that big a fan of the franchise in the first place, so I'm probably the last person who should have a say in what the next installment should or shouldn't be...but yeah, I agree with that. Most people I've seen seem to enjoy the whole maxing aspect of Persona 4's Social Links though, and to be honest (being the completionist junkie I am), it's basically what I'd do in any given game featuring party interaction anyway. I just think P4 goes about it the wrong way, making it into a core mechanic. Everything about it screams insincerity and emotional manipulation to me.

I applaud the attempt at blending gameplay and narrative, but it's a little worrying to me how everyone is willing to take a killing blow for the protagonist after going out for a soda after school once.

Both are exemplary, but Persona 4 just improved in all the right ways in all the right areas.

Persona 4.

excalipoor:
a killing blow for the protagonist after going out for a soda after school once.

Well, actually, point of fact. The reason all team members learn that skill at the first rank is because all party member first ranks are part of the story and not optional, if I remember correctly.

Without spoiling anything, this was basically necessary.

As for the fool arcana, I feel like you're kind of missing the point. I dunno if you've played the entire game, but a major theme is that there is no ONE TRUE representation of one's self. We are so defined by both intrinsic, environmental, and social variables that having these different personas is simply natural. You act different, even slightly, around different people.

It's up to the player whom they wish to hang out with, and the game in no way requires or even encourages, really, getting all the links on the first play through. There's no huge reason to.

Legion:
I haven't played either as they are yet to add them to the PSN store for the PS3.

Persona 3's been on the PSN for awhile.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked