Is Sony going to fuck up the lead Microsoft just handed them?
No. They'll learn from Microsoft's mistake.
14.9% (88)
14.9% (88)
Partially. They may lose ground, but will come out ahead. It's hard to fuck up as bad as the Xbone.
47.3% (280)
47.3% (280)
Yes. They'll lose the lead and end up tied with Microsoft.
8.1% (48)
8.1% (48)
Not only will they lose the advantage, they're going to lose the console generation.
1.7% (10)
1.7% (10)
Fuck them both. I'm buying/already own a PC.
20.9% (124)
20.9% (124)
Wii U! Yay Nintendo!
6.3% (37)
6.3% (37)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: PS4 decisively beating Xbone in polls. Will Sony throw away their winning hand?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Techno Squidgy:

The WiiU is looking much like the gamecube, powerful but undersupported (though we'll have to wait and see how it matches up to the technical specs of the Xbone and PS4).

The WiiU is what now? It's underpowered even by current gen standards, let alone PS4/Xbone standards. The WiiU will not match the sales it's predecessor achieved. Most of the Wii's sales came from non-gamers which enjoyed the gimmicky motion controller. Sadly, the more core-focused WiiU will fail miserably in comparison unless there are a BUNCH of amazing games for it (and there very likely will not be since so few people actually bothered with the thing)

Techno Squidgy:

The PS2 was actually the weakest (in terms of hardware) out of the 6th Gen (bar the Dreamcast, but lol, Dreamcast) but sold the most units by a ridiculous margin so power isn't necessary the key part of a console.

But funnily enough, the PS2 sold a ton of units on the strength of it's DVD player, not it's gaming capabilities, especially early on, creating the critical mass which in turn encouraged game development, which kept snowballing the initial success.

Now the multimedia aspects of the PS4 and Xbone are mostly redundant. Pretty much everything the Xbone can do media wise, you get with a Smart Tv. And Blu-Ray players are cheap and common.

I actually think the PS4 is heading in a better direction than the Xbone, with the share button and related functionality. I'm actually pretty certain that a large number of core gamers will eventually use the function, even if just rarely, to record and share some outstanding moment.

Techno Squidgy:

However, I think my hopes for a resurgence of PC gaming are just that, hopes.

Something I've just thought of. Exclusives no longer make sense. If all 3 are on the same architecture it makes no sense for a publisher to restrict their avenue of sales barring a very expensive deal for Microsoft or Sony, so good news there! or more wishful thinking.

We can only hope. On the one hand, everything is pointing in the favour of at least a partial PC resurgence. Consoles with x86 architecture, this pre-launch mess, much awaited PC exclusive revivals like StarCitizen, Torment, Project Eternity and DoubleFine Adventure and the cheaper gaming hardware (a decent gaming rig nowadays is really not that expensive).

On the other hand, major game developers are notorious for resisting change. Console dev is clearly still much more profitable than PCs. Leaving the piracy issue aside, console games tend to be more expensive, sell more units, require less support (no having to deal with five thousand different hardware configurations). I guess it all hinges on how many units the next gen will be able to sell early on.

Remember, Sony have yet to say anything about the same issues people are hating MS for. If at E3 Sony start stating there used games stance among other things, and MS just show off a load of amazing games. Then Sony will look terrible in comparison. MS has shown all its bad laundry. Sony has yet to. But how quick people forget all the bitching and moaning after Sony's PS4 reveal?lol.

E3 here we come.

It's between the PS4 and WiiU now. I foresee both consoles being successful.

The XboxOne...failure beyond measure.

SonOfVoorhees:
Remember, Sony have yet to say anything about the same issues people are hating MS for. If at E3 Sony start stating there used games stance among other things, and MS just show off a load of amazing games. Then Sony will look terrible in comparison. MS has shown all its bad laundry. Sony has yet to. But how quick people forget all the bitching and moaning after Sony's PS4 reveal?lol.

E3 here we come.

Sony has at least confirmed that the PS4 isn't going to have any online DRM.

VladG:
snip

To save space, I've snipped the entire conversation but will reply to each point separately.

1) Just checked the specs again, I must have been reading from the wrong page when I typed that because the actual specs are laughable. my apologies for the misinformation and failure to fact check!

2) That is something I neglected to think about. You do have an extremely good point regarding the DVD player, that did give the PS2 a massive advantage over the other consoles which helped encourage development.

3) I think you're right on this, the next period of gaming will be shaped massively by early unit sales. If the consoles don't sell well enough the industry is going to choke and will NEED to expand into the PC market. Hopefully this should shift the relationship in favour of the consumer as the PC market is a lot more varied. The game devs and publishers will have to provide the gamers with what they want to continue getting the sales they need. There could be a change in the way games are made, with smaller teams and/or budgets for games in order to create more games, faster, to satisfy the various sections of the market.

Alternatively we could see the new consoles tank and development continue for the 360 and PS3, which would be... interesting.

DISCLAIMER:
However, I'd like you to bear in mind that most of this is just me chasing thoughts in my head to see where they end up. Actual relation of what I'm saying to reality may vary.

EDIT:
Now I've snipped it to save space. fail.

VladG:
But funnily enough, the PS2 sold a ton of units on the strength of it's DVD player, not it's gaming capabilities, especially early on, creating the critical mass which in turn encouraged game development, which kept snowballing the initial success..

Arguably the PS2 helped propel DVDs too, in a way neither may have had the success without the other. DVDs had been around for around five years and the wider public wasn't all that interested, they reacted the pretty much the same as they had with Laser Disks and VCDs. High price and that loop of, not many hardware sale-->not much media creation-->not many hardware sales, meant they where pretty limited in their market penetration. Suddenly with the PS2 millions upon millions of homes suddenly had a DVD player so more movies where released on DVD, more people went and got a PS2 for the DVD player so then manufacturers scrambled to make DVD players cheaper and cheaper. By 2003 DVD players could be bought for as little as 30.

Without the PS2 that might never have happened, the PS2 didn't just spread games it made a media format too. Last gen Microsoft and Sony tried to do the same, Microsoft with the media extender, HD-DVD and streaming and Sony with the PS3s Blu-Ray.

Honestly, every generation to date has had a royal screw up of some sort even with the dwindling of variety in the number of consoles. Without a doubt Microsoft is going to be grinding the bottom of the barrel for the next four years given the features they just advertised and even if they have games, some of those "features" have started an almost political like zeal against it. The only way Microsoft is going to sell consoles is if they go with a subscription based service that drops the initial paydown price to $200. At that point it's going to be playing the same head games Adobe is going to be playing with the release of Creative Suite 7, with people actually paying magnitudes more for each console in the long run.

n contrast, when launching the Playstation 3, Sony's stock was riding high and it was posting nearly record profits thanks to the run away success of the Playstation 2 - still the highest selling home console of all time. This success lead to insane hubris at Sony, resulting in them labeling the Playstation 3 as an "entertainment device" instead of a games machine. It was over-priced, had basically no games, and it completely failed at launch. It missed every projection, and then every revised projection, and sent Sony into damage control over-ride. They still haven't fully recovered.

The PS3 wasn't the problem or the price as former consoles were expensive like the original Playstation at 300 and the Sega Saturn at 400.
What didn't help was the Xbox360 launching about a year and a half earlier, sucking up exclusives plus crap devs being unable to makes games for the PS3 as easily. Lets face it the xbox360 from a technical standpoint was crap.
The PS2 had no games when it was released too.

Desert Punk:
I am torn on how to answer...

I am a PC gamer, so fuck the lot of them... but I also think that they will partially stumble, its in their nature!

I dont think the Wii U has a chance though outside of providing mario 137 to its various fanboys... I will admit there is one thing they could do to make me buy the console though; 3d pokemon game with more modern cellshaded graphics. Bonus points if they include all the regions with their full catalogue of pokemon.

But, we all know Nintendo will never be smart enough to make that game, so my money will remain safely in my bank account.

How have I not noticed that pokemon was missing from the wii u until now, bit of a facepalm moment there for me.

A new xeno plus pokemon and will go out and buy a wii u tommorow, screw the ps4 and xbone

After seeing their stock prices skyrocket they way they did after the Xbone reveal, I think they'll be a little smarter than Microsoft. There might be *something* that might make them mess up a tiny bit, but it can't possibly be as bad as Microsoft.

I think Sony could still seriously screw up if the PS4:
- Costs around 1000 at launch
- Has no decent, exclusive games
- Has a large swastika on the side
- Is made of spiders

Otherwise they will probably come out of this better than Microsoft, possibly better than Nintendo if the increased interest in the WiiU subsides.

They'll fuck something up, I know they will.

But They won't (can't) fuck up as bad as the Xbone. That thing should have a warning label on the box: "Warning! Microsoft is watching you, even while your Xbox is off."

Played a WiiU yesterday, quite enjoyed it. Not sure about buying one, but I already can do the shit that the Xbox can do without buying one, so I have no interest in it. As for PS4, well, Sony sufficiently put me off a PS3, so they started this race with some ground to cover. Honestly, 360 controllers killed PS3 ones, and at the end of the day, that's the only real difference between the two generic overpriced consoles.

Mikeyfell:
They'll fuck something up, I know they will.

But They won't (can't) fuck up as bad as the Xbone. That thing should have a warning label on the box: "Warning! Microsoft is watching you, even while your Xbox is off."

Pretty much this. I expect that Sony's going to mess something up. It might be the E3 Conference, while showing off neat stuff, sucks. Or it could be that what they showed at the PS4 reveal is the only things they have planned for it currently. But there is no way they can fail as badly as the Xbone did.

I voted for the WiiU though.

I think the most likely mistake Sony can make with the PS4 is a weak launch lineup. This is something they specialize in, but also something that's already been determined. If you're set on launching this year then there's not much you can do now to get more games available at launch.

wulfy42:
Xbox though would need to freaking pull a rabbit out of it's hat, teach the rabbit to program and then have the rabbit create at least 10 GREAT games for me to even consider buying the next gen system. Oh, and that rabbit better be damned cute as well.

that turn of phrase made me cackle to myself, well done sir. well done indeed.

in answer to the Op, basically i don't see the point in getting a console that is tied to the internet and mass media so heavily I don't, and cant get a 1gbps ( or even a 'good' connection, i'm stuck on 2meg ) connection and I rarely play multiplayer games so there's little that I could gain from cloud technology if sony has done the same and heavily invested in the cloud over local gaming then consoles are out for me one way or the other it just wont be viable

and even if the god of dark fibre ( google, google it. .. tehe ^^ ) decides to plant gigabit speed internet in my street i still wont be buying an xbone to then 'rent' games from microsoft as they've cut me off as a customer entirely.

the wii-u isn't my thing at all.

the playstation is an engima wrapped in a mystery dancing around in the pocket of the devil while he tangos in the pale moonlight so we shall see what happens with that, until then it's pc only here.

I really might buy a playstation 4, maby.. there are a few games that work better on a console just because pad is the only way to play them, also Gt because why not. ( no real word on ps4 wheels though )

I think we have to wait until E3 to see which way the wind is blowing. Sony's reveal wasn't exactly that thrilling either and Nintendo need to announce some games.

I think Microsoft made a huge mistake by just trying to appeal to casual users with tv, sports games and COD. If they had just announced one extra title it might of helped their case immensely.

Not to mention all the extra reasons they gave us not to buy one.

Sony have learned the mistakes that they made with the PS3 launch and Microsoft hasn't because it never fell below expectations. It will be an interesting battle that I won't be any participant in until the dust has settled down. At the moment, however, I'm really tempted to go back to Sony.

I don't actually think Sony has much of a winning hand, the used game thing might blow up in their face, but that's about it. The majority of people don't read gaming news sites, the majority of people don't care. There's nothing thats happened that will actually damage MS unless it trickles down to normal people through us, and that's a bit sketchy, because you have to care a little to be bothered that MS didn't mention many games in their conference. To most people it'll probably either be a little bit funny and then forgettable, or sound really petty

The PS4 looks better than the XBOne. (It even finally has a comfy looking controller, which is a big change of pace for Sony controllers. But the left stick is still in the wrong place)
Unfortunately, Sony as a whole is financially barely alive.
If they go broke halfway through the generation, the PS4 may lose all its support.

I think this was Sony's plan all along. Before either console was announced Sony said it's not about coming out first, it's about who has the better machine. By looking at how poorly the Xbox reveal went I doubt that they'd do the same.

I saw a poll on a technology related website where more people voted for the Xbox One over the PS4 as to which console they were most psyched for. I think it depends which way you look at it. For sure Microsoft have lost the vast majority of the gamers (myself included), but judging from their own response they seem to be like "who cares". Reading between the lines I think they are going for the cross over appeal that a system like the Wii got with dragging in the stay at home mums and senior citizens. If Microsoft can make a shitload of money with a machine that drags in more people at the expense of hardcore gamers, while Sony turns over a mild profit from the gaming fraternity I really don't think they'll give a fuck. They've proved that they're all about the business and nothing much else.

Well from what I've seen thus far from polls, comments and what not, the majority seems to favor the PS4 thus far. It really depends on Sony how to play the hand that has been given to them.

It will all be decided on E3 however. I'm curious to see what titles will Xbone bring to the table as well as PS4.

Either way, it's going to be glorious to see these two consoles have a war with each other again, since I will not take part in it because I'm a PC gamer and can't really afford to buy a console anyway.

If I would have to choose it would of most definitely be a PS4, because I don't like having a visual DRM camera known as Kinect 2 watching everything I do in the living room.

As many have said above, I'm sure they're going to mess up somehow but I don't see it being anywhere as bad as MS - they're just not THAT stupid. I'm mainly a PC gamer but I have a Vita and PS3 and usually only buy the exclusives or multiplayer games for them. Sony is a company I really want to support for gaming but they always seem to mess something up, despite what I believe to be good intentions.

Microsoft's xbone fiasco has arisen because they have shown that they couldn't care less about consumers. Sony genuinely seems to care about their reputation amongst consumers as well as their share price. However, they always drop the ball at the last minute. Overpriced console, lack of exclusive games, etc.

With regards to the DRM issue, given that Sony is Japanese I can't see them following Microsoft's line on that one. Having lived in Tokyo I've seen how large the second hand market is there. New games even for the PSP are still around $100 and so the trade in market is thriving. Sony would alienate millions of customers in Japan alone if they used online DRM for games.

Roll on E3 and we'll see what happens...

I'd vote for two of your options if I could, as I game on my laptop more than my PS3 these days. Alas, I'll have to stick is with the "Partially... hard to screw up as bad as the Xbox One" option. Sony's bound to do something stupid, however to fuck up as bad as Microsoft did would take some colossal, yet genuine effort. It's possible of course, but if I were a betting man I'd bet against it.

Captcha: "make a bee-line". Second time I had that Captcha today, yet it was fitting both times. How odd.

Genocidicles:

SonOfVoorhees:

E3 here we come.

Sony has at least confirmed that the PS4 isn't going to have any online DRM.

I could be wrong but I believe they said they were going to leave it up to the publishers to decide on always online DRM. Which to be honest is a certainty for many big publishers. lol.

Either way I have my PC and WiiU so I have no dog in this fight. It is just fun to watch them both fuck up royally.

We'll see.

We have seen the hardware details of both, Sony seem to be ditching Move while Microsoft run full tilt with Kinect. Microsoft have stated the not so much but pretty much will Always On. Curious to see Sony's decision whether they will or not.

I guarantee than Sony were planning features that were just as bad, if not worse than the Xbone. But now that they've seen the Xbone's reception they're desperately trying to figure out which features they can redo without months of work. On topic: I'm guessing that Sony will screw up in several key areas but overall come out on top.

I certainly hope they don't throw their hand away, although I am prepared for that eventuality. Seriously, I would quite like to buy and own a new generation console, and since I personally have no real interest in buying the WiiU (no offence intended, I think it's fine, but it's just not what I'm looking for) that leaves the PS4.

I don't want to see gaming companies do badly or make bad decisions. I want them to make sensible decisions and succeed.

"Will Sony throw away their winning hand?"
In in this present age of extreme corporate stupidity, where companies make decisions that don't even make sense from any money making big business perspective I can figure out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did. Not in the slightest.

Pandabearparade:
http://www.gamespot.com/twitter-battle/xbox-vs-ps4/

As things stand right now all Sony has to do to win the next console war is learn from the hatred the xbone has roused and not repeat Microsoft's mistakes. Were they planning to do the same things? Maybe. Now they can see firsthand what sort of reaction that will get if they do, and what sort of reward they could get if they don't (Sony stock shot up when the xbone was announced).

In short, all they have to do is shut the fuck up and avoid doing anything completely retarded.

Can they manage it?

Sony has already answered questions regarding these rumors before the XBone was even released.
- PS4 will not have an online requirement at all (obviously the social stuff will need it to work but the console and gaming doesn't)
- PS4 will not have any used game restrictions or locks built in nor will they support any. So anything the publishers come up with they do themselves
- PS4 is focusing on the consumer, so no subscription to go online, no region locking etc just like the PS3.

Basically it's following the PS3 philosophy but making itself easier for devs to develop for thus more games for the consumer. Also keeping prices down.

Zeh Don:
It's amazing how smart people and companies can be when they're desperate, and how dumb those some people and companies can be when they're on top of the world.

Sony, for those not interested in the business world, has had a rough past few years. It needs the Playstation 4 to come out strong, and pull them ahead. It will do whatever the safest, surest thing is to ensure that success. Right now, giving gamers what they want is the safest play.

In contrast, when launching the Playstation 3, Sony's stock was riding high and it was posting nearly record profits thanks to the run away success of the Playstation 2 - still the highest selling home console of all time. This success lead to insane hubris at Sony, resulting in them labeling the Playstation 3 as an "entertainment device" instead of a games machine. It was over-priced, had basically no games, and it completely failed at launch. It missed every projection, and then every revised projection, and sent Sony into damage control over-ride. They still haven't fully recovered.

Microsoft are repeating Sony's mistakes. All of them. Microsoft - fresh of the success of the Xbox 360 - think they've found the recipe for lightning in a bottle. Just like Sony did. They think they can sell their machine, regardless of the games, because their brand is strong. Just like Sony did. They believe gamers will buy it regardless. Just like Sony did. They've added a few new ones, though. Always Online DRM and anti-consumer used game practices are built into the box. Even Sony didn't make that kind of blunder.

Sony, however, cannot afford such mistakes, so it's doing the only thing it can do: make the best damn games machine it can make, get the best damn games they can on it as fast as possible, and pray to Jesus Christ that it sells.
I believe history is going to repeat itself, and we've got front row seats.

This, oh so so this ^^ You sir are welcome to join me in the front row, I have popcorn, drinks and reclining chairs. This is going to be a fun ride :-)

I don't think it matters. MS seems to think its market share is non-video game (obsessed) masses. We forget that video games wouldn't even be a thing if not for Nintendo and Mario Bros rekindling the flame in the states/west.

Western games (as a general rule) have never been attractive or fun in my book. It seems like old school video game enthusiasts probably get this if not instinctively then subconsciously. All that matters is if the rumors or information concerning Xbox turns out to be accurate or followed through with. There has to be a massive shaming campaign directed at the masses.

If Sony tries to get with Microsoft's program. If people don't assert their dignity in some way, whatever form that takes, there better be a split into camps. I'd hope this website would become an alt-games community if it comes to that. It's starting to grow on me since the big three have something new for every day of the week now. It got me coming back daily.

Don't forget that this DRM shit has been going on with PC games for forever. It's just now getting to consoles. You just take it for granted because PCs are an open platform that you can easily work around. You probably don't, but you probably sleep easier knowing that you could if you wanted to. Consoles will breed subservience into people's very souls. Don't let it happen. Have some self respect.

EDITED: Full disclosure. I'm totally cool with MS's plans if turns out to be relaxed, basically just forcing your games to be like physical discs even though you install the entire game. But if its draconian, Orwellian, to the Nth degree, as so far suggested, let them have it. And I really like MS. Well not always. But Google (and Apple too apparently) is so fucked up, and Linux so unworkable for everyday stuff. MS is all we have anymore. Its what we have to work with. So keep MS in line. Don't let them fuck up games like how games died completely in the 80s.

Iklol:
I guarantee than Sony were planning features that were just as bad, if not worse than the Xbone. But now that they've seen the Xbone's reception they're desperately trying to figure out which features they can redo without months of work. On topic: I'm guessing that Sony will screw up in several key areas but overall come out on top.

They confirmed before the xbox reveal that they wouldn't have the MS crap and I doubt they ever planned to. Simple fact is they need to win customers over and screwing them over like XBone wants to do is not going to get them that. Not to mention the PS3 was always the more consumer friendly as is their other systems, they've always had a focus on the consumer as part of their business practise it was the dev side that they failed last gen which they've fixed with x86 chipset.

while i am all for bashing the xbone into the ground let's wait for E3 because IF they show a metric shitton of games there we will say a lot of people say that they will buy the system because of this or that game despite all the bullshit.

and right now what i see happening is the PC winning, which is weird at the beginning of a new gen. The vast majority of people who buy consoles doesn't care about the share button, streaming demos or always on kinect as long as they get the new cod-box. And among the more invested crowd i see on gaming specific websites i see a lot of people who are saying that they might as well become PC primary gamers when the xbone has all the bullshit PC gamers have to deal with.

Nintendo has all the great franchises. Sony and Microsoft have so few they resort to buying exclusivity contracts for sequels to games that sold better on Gamecube. (I'm talkin' 'bout you, Soul Caliber II.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked