Fighting Game Thread: Post Fighting Game Material, Discuss Fav Games, And Ask For Tips here.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 23 NEXT

I meant more in comparing execution/strategy involved. right now it seems like airdashers for the most part require the most execution of fighting games, and also the most strategy options.

I guess nowadays, people who play airdashers online in general are at least reasonably competent on fighting game basics in general. I think people often forget about people who don't play competitively at all, and just enjoy the story line or play with friends every once in awhile which I started out doing. My 1st exposure to airdashers was actually guilty gear X1 on ps1. back then I had no idea what roman cancels were, but thought the character design, music, pace, etc was way better than sf. played ggxx casually on ps2, mainly with occasional person who also don't play, and against ai. It wasn't till BBCS came out till I learned jump cancels, rapid cancels, basic strategy, etc. it was nice having a challenge mode, with movelists and demos laid out. After that, I did not even bother with SF, at all, and tbh have not even tried SFV. I admit I'm still not that good at doing combos, I can't complete bbcf challenge mode level 2 with anyone, or ever every combo in a combo video. some characters I use just have the weird moves that interfere with my muscle memory at level one. I can still pull off some that would wow regular players, who might be coming from sf or don't play fighting games in general.

I guess that's why people seem to come up with things like blazblue is all about combos, and not spacing, mindgames, etc. they seem even reasonably competent players can dish out some combos that look really impressive to casuals. they probably watched a few casual vids on youtube, or played 1 match online. In reality, I think airdashers require a lot more skill in all those other areas, with all the extra options you have defensively and offensively.

For ones who say that they move away from the fundimentals too much. I would argue that, they have evolved to the point they have their own fundamentals. mechanics like bursts, jump cancels, airdashes, rapid/homing/arcana extend/roman cancels, etc have just become common in too many games, that they became the fundamental mechanics. Thats why I actually recommend games like persona, BB or GG to beginners getting into fighting games. good tutorials, story line, etc to keep beginners entertained for awhile, and teach the basics, which can be applied to less popular titles.

Combos are maybe 10% of the stuff that goes in the game but if you can't do combos you also can't do all the other stuff you need to be doing, the difference is you don't even know that you should be doing these other things, while combos you are instantly aware of. This lack of information makes players misjudge how much combos matter.

This time around challenge mode is great for everyone otside of console exclusive chars in CF. Specifically the Expert (level 3) ones, as they teach you actually efficient and optimal combos. It only took me 20 mins to clear all levels with my age old main but for new chars the expert stuff was worth learning and took a while, Izanami took me multiple hours to clear for one.

As for fundamentals, air foorsties is the big one you won't find elsewhere. As someone who mains a char with two airdashes, I am intimately familiar with the air based gameplan you need and people who come from other games always seem to painfully neglect air mobility options.

got the steam version of nitro+ blasterz.

Apparently Chaos Code has a new version with new chars and netplay coming soon, finally I will dive in the game. Lack of netplay made me avoid it outside of locals. The game plays a lot like BB but only super jumps can act as jump cancels so it is a more ground based game. Char variety is excellent though. There's a magical girl cthulu char and a literal chef that is also the grappler (I will prolly still main the kunoichi with the Medusa dreads though, can't resist my burning soul after all). Fun times.

K-sha:
got the steam version of nitro+ blasterz.

Still need to get that done myself.

Dreiko:
Apparently Chaos Code has a new version with new chars and netplay coming soon, finally I will dive in the game. Lack of netplay made me avoid it outside of locals. The game plays a lot like BB but only super jumps can act as jump cancels so it is a more ground based game. Char variety is excellent though. There's a magical girl cthulu char and a literal chef that is also the grappler (I will prolly still main the kunoichi with the Medusa dreads though, can't resist my burning soul after all). Fun times.

Is the Ps4 version out yet? I know its had an arcade version for well over a year.

i've never tried Chaos code. i expected it to play more like older school fighters from a review i saw a long time ago. but it was 1 too many fighting games, and a fighting game with no online nowadays kills it.

besides CC, it seems like 2d fighters have slowed down next year. There's no announcements I can find. nothing announced by arcsys, examu, frenchbread,etc. arc system would pbly make another xrd sometime, since the story isn't finished, and theres still a lot of requested characters from xx to add in. it'll pbly be awhile till we get anything else, especially since BB story line arc is concluded I might get into tekken 7 or mvc on the mean time, just for something where someone plays. or to get into 3d fighters for a change

CC is a lot like BB actually, you just have to super jump to do jump cancels, outside of that, the feel of the game is usual with chain combos and supers and rcs and such. I believe it is out in asia for ps4 but the western version hits next month.

i might look into it to try it. I still have hardly any time to play xrd. it's hard finding time to play all fighters enough to get decent. the fact that i tend to juggle between bbcf, nitro+, ah3lm probably dampers my skill on each individual game a bit.

The good thing with not many new ones comin soon is that we already have this many. I tend to focus on one at a time on my personal time and play others at tourneys and locals. Atm it is all BB, while I was full time on N+ until Revelator came out. I don't think your skill falls if you spend adequate time on each as fundamentals transfer though, I mainly stick on one game cause I tend to wanna learn tons of chars so there's always new things to do. Though sadly I am very rusty on AH due to its region locked netplay so I can only do non-pitiful a b c super things as Kamui.

But yeah, outside of chaos code I have no interest in tekken or what have you that is coming soon. Maybe that will change once persona 5 arena becomes a thing though lol.

K-sha:
i might look into it to try it. I still have hardly any time to play xrd. it's hard finding time to play all fighters enough to get decent. the fact that i tend to juggle between bbcf, nitro+, ah3lm probably dampers my skill on each individual game a bit.

Yeah, as much as I want to play a bunch of fighters, I find that dividing my time between even just two games can have detrimental effects on my progress in both. I absolutely love BlazBlue but I'm just not good enough at it and it's so crazy now that I just don't feel good giving too much time to it compared to my much more notable progress in Guilty Gear.

I would love to play the latest versions of the game.

occasionally i did things i'm not supposed to like push AB to barrier block, while blocking in nitroplus, after i was just playing bbcf for 2 weeks and moved back. a lot of fundamentals are the same or similar but some are really different. even if they are the same, different characters, mean more to learn. I find it best to just play as the same character for a few rounds, get used to that character, against that opponent, before changing.

Either way if you divide what you play at once, you dont have that much time to just spend on one game.

See, I have a cure for that issue. I use very carefully customized button layouts to help transitions. So, barrier in BB, shield in uniel, FD/blitz in Xrd, Vanishing guard/roll in N+ and Homing in AH, all these are assigned to L1. Furthermore, any 2button grab game always will be made such that grabs are doable by hitting square and triangle, (the exception being AH with its odd grab input) and any single button grab game will be made such that the grab is O wich is my heavy slash button.

By doing this before anything else, you learn to play the game with the new button setting and it won't be weird to transition. The important thing is to preplan it such that you do not unlearn muscle memory and to be creative with button leniency. For example, UNIEL is 4 buttons but my circle is actually my grab macro because I wanted D to be on L1 cause it acts as a utilty button and grab is something you wanna OS with an AA so instead of hitting 3 buttons, the O macro lets me do it with 2 while being familiar due to bein on he Xrd heavy slash button at the same time. Also if you do a super with the grab macro the super takes priority over the grab so that helps too since hitting L1 for supers would feel weird.

Little things like this can go a long way towards how fast you learn and how easily you transition between games.

everyone comes up with their own controller layouts. unless you get a stick. in which case you probably go with what arcade layouts are.

its usually just for a few matches so not a big deal. I tend to assign buttons the same or really similar in most games too. right now I'm learning stick since i picked up a hori mini for 50. I managed to do decent in every game except ah3lm, which is too frustrating so i decide to just use controller on it for now.

when you do use stick, sometimes throwing would throw me off. in AH3lm it's A+D. in most other games it's B+C. on a controller i only use 2 button throws without shortcuts in N+ because i set assist characters and ran out of buttons. it feels more natural just pushing 2/3 buttons with a stick than using shortcuts.

Yeah the arcana grab input is really odd and for no good reason, I use R1 which is my dust button in GG and burst in BB/N+. Stick is thankfully not really necessary unless you wanna play Arakune or Yukiko or Zato or something, and even those can be used with different button layouts just fine, I main Bang and Sin and Aigis in those games though so I had zero reason to learn stick. Maybe if I had arcades locally I'd feel different hehe. I did feel tempted to buy that custom Bururaji stick they did a while back though, purely as a fan of the show.

you don't need a stick to play good, but it does feel a bit more fun to play the way they are supposed to be played. less blisters/tired thumbs as well. your forearms get a mini workout. you'll probably have an easier time on pad, no matter what characters you use, unless that's what you are used to gaming with.

the main reason i decided to get a stick is because mini is cheap, and feels pretty good for the most part. it made me understand why most sticks are heavy though, since it moves around a bit when i do a lot of quick motions on a table, and you can't play with it on your lap with a mini. I didnt expect something perfect for $50. it's handy if you were to play in an arcade some day. its a pretty good budget stick just to try if you like it. it is really frustrating to get used to it if you are decent with a controller though. especially if you play more execution heavy games. it's probably easier on something slow like sf, where there's no having to do movements quickly off air dashing.
now that i recall, i had trouble learning basic ABC combos in AH3lm with controller as well, because of how you have to push buttons faster than BB. so I'm thinking it's just a more execution heavy game than most, which is why i can't seem to play with stick. Yukiko played fine with controller from what I remember. it's been forever since i played Persona 4 U. i only had enough time to somewhat learn Yukiko and Chie, and did fine with controller.

Yukiko did some things where you held down both EX agi buttons and then pressed a third one for an attack, then let the agi buttons go sequentially after, pretty hard to do on pad without some liberal reassignment lol. Arcana is faster, especially when in arcana install mode, as Kamui one of the arcana I use is time arcana which speeds her up even more than usual so I am very used to fast stuff.

And yeah basically it all boils down to me not wanting to suck for no reason and redo work I already did just to get to where I was for a month or two when I can just keep improving. I do piano my pad so it kinda is like a stick face button wise and my thumb on the dpad is fully calused and indestructible XD.

XrdRev is now on Steam. Sadly still too broke and busy this season to get it but its nice to have and not yet out of date! Also goodness its been busy here so I left, good to see!

gerardmcleod:
I would love to play the latest versions of the game.

We all would my friend. Thats the main issue with ASW and "anime" fighting games often.

I've been considering getting SFV for PC, but I've been hesitant because I still prefer DoA5, the PC population for fighting games has never been amazing, much less for a rocky launch like SFV had and as far as I know they still haven't added the actual Story Mode yet. But I still kind of want to get it and have some fun with it.

SF I believe has cross console play with ps4 so outside of pc exclusives it should be most populated. Can't help but suggest BBCF over it though, such a great game that one XD.

watched some chaos code vids. seems more grounded and less combo than BB. so maybe more KOF or uniel like. I know have to play to actually know

KoF combos lack free chains so it always is something like AAA > special move > button > special move and you can't chain cancel stuff. CC is like BB where you chain sequentially more powerful buttons one after the other, both on block and on hit, and add a special move here and there too but primarily you use lots of nornals back to back. It definitely is more ground based but these ground based combos feel nothing like KoF ground combos, and tons like BB ground combos.

Paragon Fury:
I've been considering getting SFV for PC, but I've been hesitant because I still prefer DoA5, the PC population for fighting games has never been amazing, much less for a rocky launch like SFV had and as far as I know they still haven't added the actual Story Mode yet. But I still kind of want to get it and have some fun with it.

SFV is the better deal. If you can run it then it can compete with the PS4 version fine unlike DOA. Crossplay is a feature all games need and Street Fighter V does that well. I just got the GPU I needed to more than run the game. Sadly that helped me find out that my CPU is just a bit too old for it.

Paragon Fury:

SFV released its story mode in June/July (cant remember exactly) at least for console so I am assuming its the same for PC since I have heard no different (yes assuming so pl check). It is terrible by the way just like DOAs not a patch on BB or Persona 4 Arenas games which I personally hold the high standard to and not up to MK9s either although possibly on the same levels as MKXs (which I found terrible as well).

If you are going to buy one fighter on PC out of DOA and SFV I would get SFV its not a great deal but DOA5 was (possibly still is) terrible on release. Honestly they released it in an absolute disgusting state worse than SFV and that is not something to be proud of (better than MKX though).

If you were on PS4 I would say DOA5 is a much much better proposition than SFV in terms of content and presentation though not online representation (but then not much has as SF has the brand) I would also say DOA5 also provides much more bang for your buck and provides at least as good as a fighting game engine although this is ofc highly subjective as both are very competent in this regard.

If I was going to say on fighter to get on PC over its console version I would go with Skullgirls.

Merry Christmass thread and may your astral heats rock! :D

(Also happy birthday to Noel Vermillion.)

I feel bad for disappearing for a fair bit of time. How many people still frequent this thread? Also, anyone get a good haul for Christmas? And is anyone still playing BBCF much right now? I picked it up when it came out but didn't get to play it much due to low attention span, but want to get back to playing either it more or GGXrd if many people are still playing that either. I will also be getting Tekken 7 when it releases, so if anyone wants someone to play with that I will most definitely be down, Tekken is what got me into fighting games to begin with back in the day.

Yeah I main BB, I must have put like 6 hours on it just yesterday lol. Not played as much Xrd recently because BB has a ton of new stuff to learn while Revelator changed very few things with each balance update so outside of the new chars there wasn't much discovery to be made but of course I'm always up for matches in it too, as well as nitroplus and uniel and dengeki and jp arcana.

Maximum Bert:

Paragon Fury:

SFV released its story mode in June/July (cant remember exactly) at least for console so I am assuming its the same for PC since I have heard no different (yes assuming so pl check). It is terrible by the way just like DOAs not a patch on BB or Persona 4 Arenas games which I personally hold the high standard to and not up to MK9s either although possibly on the same levels as MKXs (which I found terrible as well).

If you are going to buy one fighter on PC out of DOA and SFV I would get SFV its not a great deal but DOA5 was (possibly still is) terrible on release. Honestly they released it in an absolute disgusting state worse than SFV and that is not something to be proud of (better than MKX though).

If you were on PS4 I would say DOA5 is a much much better proposition than SFV in terms of content and presentation though not online representation (but then not much has as SF has the brand) I would also say DOA5 also provides much more bang for your buck and provides at least as good as a fighting game engine although this is ofc highly subjective as both are very competent in this regard.

If I was going to say on fighter to get on PC over its console version I would go with Skullgirls.

I should've made it clearer - I already own DoA5: LR on Xbox One. I was just looking at getting SFV on PC because I liked SFIV and was hoping it'd gotten better by now.

Since it was only $40 for the Complete 2017 package I picked it up during the Steam Sale this weekend.

Happy New year folks.

klaynexas3:
I feel bad for disappearing for a fair bit of time. How many people still frequent this thread? Also, anyone get a good haul for Christmas? And is anyone still playing BBCF much right now? I picked it up when it came out but didn't get to play it much due to low attention span, but want to get back to playing either it more or GGXrd if many people are still playing that either. I will also be getting Tekken 7 when it releases, so if anyone wants someone to play with that I will most definitely be down, Tekken is what got me into fighting games to begin with back in the day.

I am glad people are still here. Ive been so busy lately so its nice to know people still use this.

Tekken 7's home port is not out until Feburary. Hopefully I will have my CPU upgraded before then.

picked up a copy of aquapazza a used gaming store was trying to get rid of. probably won't find anyone to play with, but we will see how I like it. and it should be worth having just as an examu fan

Love that game, hate its netcode. Aquapazza is the basis for the assist system in N+ which is the best system ever and also shows how a game with a SF-style pace and systems (no airdashes, no air block, small combos etc.) can still be interesting. Also the active flow system in BB is inspired by the emotion system in aquapizza, so that is another plus.

I don't actually own the game myself though, it is a locals only thing, you can do literally nothing that you wanna do when playing online due to the game being a relatively strict one inputwise, where input delay simply massacres you, and the netcode is arguably the worst one out of any airdashed made in the last generation, so after borrowing the game from peope at locals for a while I thoroughly gave up on its netplay after a few weeks. It was kinda dead too, and this is like back 3 years ago.

Oh and happy new hear and happy birthday to my main Bang :D.

AP is really fun. Thankfully it's got ABC combos, double jumps for most characters and the 3 button layout+game specific button I've gotten used to. I still some times do things like try to air dash, jump cancel combo, etc. I can play this game even though I can't seem to play games like KOF and SF at all, since I can't even do ABC combos, and have too much habits from air dashers.

I love how rediculous some of the characters are, especially Multi and Manaka. It's probably got the best stage backgrounds of any fighting game I know of; Anime convention, porshe, randomness, etc. Even Yukiko from persona is in this game, and Akiha from Melty blood. at least it looked like them, even though one was assist, and the other played nothing like her. If only they had stages like this in Nitroplus Blasterz.

btw Arcana Heart 4 is announced. This is exciting times. We got hope for a new console AH game.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 23 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here