If you’ve been playing games for any length of time, it is likely that you’ve experienced some of the worst voice acting ever recorded by human beings.
An assiduous YouTube poster, dirtFilledCoffin, has compiled his collection of the fifty worst videogame voice acting moments currently posted on audioatrocities.com. The list of clips in the video is by no means exhaustive, but it is definitely worth a listen to truly appreciate bad acting in all its glory. Here are some of my favorites:
49. Shenmue II, “I didn’t ask to be photographed.” Pause, pause, pause. “WHAT DID YOU SAY?”
40. Shining Force III, in an effeminate voice, “Now, bear my arctic blast!”
38. Tenchu Stealth Assassin, “Your arrows are like you, weak and twisted. I fear them … NOT!”
29. Countdown Vampires, cute female voice “It hurts a bit, but [suddenly happy]I can walk.”
22. Chaos Wars II, “Now I think I’ve got my head around this different dimensions business, but HOW DO I GET BACK TO TOKYO?”
18. WinBack: Covert Operations, “Tom left a message. He wrote it on the floor in his blood.” Answering authority figure “In his blood? Way to go, kid!”
11. Disaster Report, “I have to stay alive and write this article before I die.” “Ok” [Author’s note: This is what it’s like in the office here at The Escapist.]
3. Mega Man 8, drunken old man says “When we find that meteor, we’ll find Dr. Wowee [Wiley].”
These are just a few of the gems in the video. You really should listen to them all.
It’s difficult to say whether these bits are bad because of the actors or the sub-par writing. It’s a combination of both, really. Many of the games on the list are Japanese imports, so it is safe to say that these clips are the result of poor culture/language translation on top of poor acting. Forgivable, sure, but it makes for a good chuckle or two.
Audioatrocities.com is a self-described online museum with for awful voiceover acting in videogames from the Turbo Graphx 16, the first console with CD quality sound, to the present day consoles. The site appears to be in the growing stage, with only about 60 games listed with each having 10 or 20 soundbites of truly deplorable acting. The list is heavily skewed to Playstation and Turbographix 16 titles at the moment and I’m sure they would welcome any submissions.
With so many Hollywood stars voicing videogames, I’d like to say that voice acting has improved significantly from when most of these games were made. That isn’t exactly true, unfortunately. I’m sure you have encountered some terrible acting in 2009. Pretty much anything from Wet or whatever comes out of Welch’s mouth in Star Ocean IV come to mind. What are some the amazingly abhorrent voice acting lines you’ve heard recently in games?