Warner Bros. Discovery has performed yet another shuffle to its theatrical release date calendar, resulting in Shazam: Fury of the Gods being delayed to 2023, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom being pushed to Christmas 2023, and Evil Dead Rise entering theaters (instead of HBO Max) next April. And those are just some of the scheduling highlights, via Deadline.
One reason why Shazam: Fury of the Gods was delayed to 2023 was so it did not have all of its potential IMAX screenings taken by Avatar: The Way of Water. However, Borys Kit of THR observes that another reason for this most recent release date shuffle is that Warner Bros. Discovery is essentially stretched thin for cash right now, being able to only release three more films through the end of the year — Don’t Worry Darling, Black Adam, and House Party.
In any case, here is the new release date for Shazam: Fury of the Gods, in addition to new dates for Aquaman 2, Evil Dead Rise, and several other Warner Bros. Discovery films:
- House Party – December 9, 2022
- Shazam: Fury of the Gods – March 17, 2023 (the old release date of Aquaman 2)
- Evil Dead Rise – April 21, 2023
- The Nun 2 – September 8, 2023
- Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom – December 25, 2023
- Salem’s Lot – TBD (previously April 21, 2023)