The most cynical thing you can think of.

Pages PREV 1 2

CyanCat47:
21st century helicopter parenting is increasing child mortality rates in the first world by manifesting in the form of anti-vaxxer hysteria

My cousin had a kid a few years ago, and she was big into the anti-vax scene. My grandma, who grew up in the 30s sat her down and basically put the fear of God in her with stories of class mates and cousins dying of influenza, whooping cough and polio.
My cousin didn't believer her, believing instead that after generations of vaccines in the population that those specific diseases didn't exist anymore, and her new-born was risk free.
Within a year the baby had a horrible case of whooping cough, was hospitalized, etc...made a recovery, got vaccinated, and will celebrate her 9th birthday this year.
and the two kids since her have all been vaccinated.

People forget that children died regularly from diseases before vaccinations. Families had 7-9 kids in the hopes a few lived to adulthood.

Kyrian007:
There's a whole lot of cynicism in the 10 commandments. "No other god but me" really, how self serving is that? "No graven idols," that's basically "see above motherfuckers." Same with #3 & blasphemy. "Remember the Sabbath" nice wording there, make sure to keep it vague so we can co-opt other religion's holy days. "Honor Mother and Father..." ok, DO that one... unless they are douchbags. And the rest, way to try and take credit for social contract norms that had been around since before the time of Hammurabi. So ONE out of 10 isn't completely self-serving. Whoever sent those down is a total dick.

Don't shoot the messenger man, Moses had to work overtime for 40 days to get them, couldn't even go home at night, only to discover that when the update was finally finished people had already moved on to the latest fad diety

CrazyGirl17:
That the threat of nuclear war is soon upon us, and that all life as we know it will swiftly end in a fiery inferno and nuclear fallout. Top that.

The people likely to bring it about are incentivised to do so while they are in power, because while they are in power they get a spot in the bunkers. How's that?

Silentpony:

CyanCat47:
21st century helicopter parenting is increasing child mortality rates in the first world by manifesting in the form of anti-vaxxer hysteria

My cousin had a kid a few years ago, and she was big into the anti-vax scene. My grandma, who grew up in the 30s sat her down and basically put the fear of God in her with stories of class mates and cousins dying of influenza, whooping cough and polio.
My cousin didn't believer her, believing instead that after generations of vaccines in the population that those specific diseases didn't exist anymore, and her new-born was risk free.
Within a year the baby had a horrible case of whooping cough, was hospitalized, etc...made a recovery, got vaccinated, and will celebrate her 9th birthday this year.
and the two kids since her have all been vaccinated.

People forget that children died regularly from diseases before vaccinations. Families had 7-9 kids in the hopes a few lived to adulthood.

I wouldn't have survived past the age of 5 without vaccines. To say that infuriate me would be an understatement

Kyrian007:
There's a whole lot of cynicism in the 10 commandments. "No other god but me" really, how self serving is that? "No graven idols," that's basically "see above motherfuckers." Same with #3 & blasphemy. "Remember the Sabbath" nice wording there, make sure to keep it vague so we can co-opt other religion's holy days. "Honor Mother and Father..." ok, DO that one... unless they are douchbags. And the rest, way to try and take credit for social contract norms that had been around since before the time of Hammurabi. So ONE out of 10 isn't completely self-serving. Whoever sent those down is a total dick.

The other stupid thing about the ten commandments is that, almost immediately, the (I wanna say) council (but I cant remember if that's the right term) added another 500ish more laws. You know the ones - Kosher, anti-homosexual, menstrual washing (despite being in a desert) that don't really have much to do with the first ten, but sure made sure that the Israelites acted a certain way.

The notion that since helping others makes you feel good; that feeling is the only reason you actually help others.

The Escapist video library.

unregulated capitalism. Patriotism. Religion. The USA. Life/humankind

altnameJag:
Cut funding to public services under the guise of "cutting waste", then use declining effectiveness to advocate privatization and further austerity.

Also, selling 9 million copies of a videogame and having that not be enough. I mean, holy shit.

Also agreement found there

The world won't change, all it does is turn.

If anybody can figure out where I got that quote from, I will give them a platinum star.

CoCage:
The world won't change, all it does is turn.

If anybody can figure out where I got that quote from, I will give them a platinum star.

The last line of killer7. Though you must give the star to Google and not me.

I am semi-Nihilistic, so I believe that the universe is a cold, cruel abyss ruled by nothing and we are inherently evil. Morality was created by society to control our darkest impulses and one day we will destroy ourselves. I disagree, however, with the idea that achievements and gaining knowledge are pointless.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here