Hipsters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Im so hipster I like hipsters just because everyone else hates them. Hell yeah.

Serious though, they are mildly annoying, although I have to admit that I havent really met many in real life. The trend seems to be rather minor in Germany (and thank God for that).

An ex-girlfriend of mine married a air-force pilot who is stationed up in germany right now, and she is about as hipster as they come. So sorry a little american vegan hipster has infiltrated germany. i imagine American hipsters aren't a big problem in Europe, after all, flying is soooo mainstream. lol

impeccable:

lacktheknack:

A song recommended to me by a friend (a hipster).

This thread is now 500% more hipster.

Now that I've herd this song it is no longer hipster.

But did you LIKE it?

I know a shitton of them, I live just across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon, so its pretty common to see them. This has of course lead to me having a rather irrational hatred of hipsters mostly because their constant quests to appear to be apathetic and super trendy while at the same time not "mainstream" annoys the living shit out of me.

this is how famous Portland is for hipsters.

God, that's the thing I hate most about the whole hate on "hipsters" or "emos" or whatever.

It's fine if you don't like whining or suicidal behavior or elitism. But rallying against androgyny of all varieties annoys me. If dressing feminine makes you a target, you are not living in a good area. And if some people are still so backward as to mistreat people based upon dressing feminine, it means all the more reason people should have the guts to do it and move social trends in a different direction.

Gender roles are stupid. Feminine men are awesome. I sure as heck don't want to date some macho guy.

Can we get a definition of hipster? Is it the attitude that makes you one, or the music/clothing/etc?

I have friends though that meet every hipster stereotype, the clothing/music/cigs/movies/vinyl/handlebar mustache expect they don't have the attitude. They are quite nice, but everything else says hipster.

Everyone says the worst thing about hipsters is there condescending attitude, which is true but you know what I find everyone has that attitude at times, most frequently from people who think they are capable of judging people by there clothes and music tastes.

lacktheknack:

I liked Neutral Milk Hotel BEFORE In the Aeroplane over the Sea. /fakeglasses

I feel this song sums it up perfectly, I have friends that like some things that many would call hipster (indie music and skinny jeans) but by no means consider themselves hipsters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPKDHdS5bM
Simply stated being a hipster is that superiority complex where you think liking the thing you do makes you better than the "normal people" who follow the herd. It's perfectly fine to try and buy green and stay on top of indie trends but when you start thinking you're better than the rest of the world you're a hipster, a punk, and hopelessly self-absorbed.

Worgen:
What is with all the threads about hipsters lately? I mean, does anyone even know what a hipster is?

Really from the sheer number of threads about how much people hate them I would assume they are some kind of combination of foxnews-talking-head/hitler/stalin/dracula thing.

As the hipster is an calculating, elusive quarry that will always deny their existence upon being caught, photographic evidence is almost impossible to collect. This is what our sketch artists have determined they might look like after being fed a variety of first and second hand accounts from witnesses outside of Pavement concerts and run down independent film cinemas.

Gottesstrafe:
[quote="Worgen" post="18.312987.12681680"]

On the whole "pin" thing, I may have had a Richard Nixon pin handy for the 2008 election...

I'm worried I might be a hipster, at least I'm too chubby for skinny jeans...now I made myself feel worse...

I'm a hipster in the sense that I hate most popular things, but not because they are popular, but rather because I really can't stand most of the crap that's being recycled and put out. It's pretty much caused a lot of great mediums to stagnate and become really stale, I don't just listen to indie music though, I listen to all kinds of genres and can find stuff that I like from everything (including hiphop, rap, techno etc). I also enjoy world philosophy and learning about other cultures, but that's just because the way I was raised caused me to want to learn, experience, and understand as much of the world as I can, while I can. I also wear glasses that are thick, but I actually need them, of course when I was given the chance to wear contacts I jumped on it like it was going to save my life.

So that's about as far as my 'hipster'ness extends, as for how I regard hipsters. I really don't care if you are a hipster, just don't try to pseudo-intellectual/pseudo-philosophize around me.

The number of people I know who are like this.... It made me cry with laughter the first time i saw it.

I think the warehouse rave part it my favourite.

How many Hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?
Oh, it's such a large number, you couldn't even begin to understand it

Why did the Hipster burn his mouth while eating pizza?
He bit into it before it was cool

Daystar Clarion:
Oh goody, I get to post this video again.

Not liking something, simply because it's popular, makes you a dickhead.

Spending more time trying to look like you don't care about your appearance than people who do care, also makes you a dickead.

Haven't you heard? Being a dickhead's cool.

Obviously, I'm only referring to the pretentious, condescending hipsters (to be fair, if you're neither of these things, then you're probably not a hipster).

sweet jesus do i agree.

they walk around on campus NOT during passing period, i swear just so they don't run on "mainstream" time, and 90% of the time they don't wear shoes because shoes are mainstream.. (you think i'm kidding, but i'm fucking not)

I was a hipster an obscure number of years before being a hipster was cool...

Not really. I like indie music, philosophy and coffee. That's about as close to a hipster as I come. If I had to classify myself it would be a Nerdy Alcoholic Preppy Asian with Hipster Tendencies minus the tight pants.

Yeah....hipsters are okay with me. I just don't understand the need for tight pants and fifty million bracelets.

lacktheknack:

yes but it was through Youtube.
- 200% Hipster

Hipster is hard to define, people disagree on what it means. I just define it by people who follow the fashion movement. I've had hipster roommates and they were very laid back and prone to self parody. They also liked cretin popular things that I hated like Katy Perry. Don't judge people for how they look as judgmental because then you become a hypocrite.

Daystar Clarion:
Oh goody, I get to post this video again.

Not liking something, simply because it's popular, makes you a dickhead.

Spending more time trying to look like you don't care about your appearance than people who do care, also makes you a dickead.

Haven't you heard? Being a dickhead's cool.

Obviously, I'm only referring to the pretentious, condescending hipsters (to be fair, if you're neither of these things, then you're probably not a hipster).

The last time you posted the song I listened to it like 15 times, it is so awesome.

lacktheknack:

That has 400k views. Wouldn't that be considered popular, and thus hated by hipsters?

As much as I hate to say it, this is more hipster than that is:

I dress in all Nike so a lot of the people on this site would refer to me as a dick head or something along that. I am into whats "In" right now, but that's because my taste has been changing. Nike air maxes with skinny jeans, Nike coat with a red shirt under and the beats. I enjoy it but judge me as you like. I could really care less. And yes I do have friends that are "hipsters". Were 15. Bite me.

EDIT: Oh what you guys consider hipster is people who try and act like they are not caring about their looks? Oh I guess im just trendy then. Woo for not being a"Hipster"..then?

Worgen:
What is with all the threads about hipsters lately? I mean, does anyone even know what a hipster is?

Really from the sheer number of threads about how much people hate them I would assume they are some kind of combination of foxnews-talking-head/hitler/stalin/dracula thing.

This... the meaning of the damn phrase is so stretched it could mean anything from devil worshipers to Justin Beiber's.

Brian Hendershot:
I was a hipster an obscure number of years before being a hipster was cool...

Oh, cool. You joke about hipsters. You know that one joke about them?

Nah, nevermind. It's really obscure, you probably haven't heard it.

I sort of like hipster fashion to an extent.

I do have a hipster friend who is really intelligent and all around cool guy.

Hipsters obscure? That is odd. They seemed to be overpopulated last time I took a gander at the southwestern United States. In fact, I would probably label them as the least obscure people there. Fucking everywhere.

I've actually got into a barfight with a hipster this past summer. Well, he sure as hell dressed like one. BTW I didn't challenge him. Made fun of his pants, though.

I thought hipsters all died out due to infertility from the skinny dickies they all wear

I don't hate hipsters as much as I hate people who label other people as such for exhibiting some of their attributes like there's some fucking checklist we're all suppose to be following.

Aidinthel:
I think the best definition of a hipster is someone who dislikes mainstream/popular things specifically because they are popular and likes obscure things specifically because they are obscure. Blatant hypocrisy when it becomes apparent that they carefully match their tastes to the rest of the hipster subculture is optional but likely.

Can I just say that I get annoyed anytime denounces a popular band I like. You know what I mean.

"You like [insert popular "mainstream" band here]? They suck. You want good [insert genre of music here] you should listen to [insert band no one has ever heard of here]."

All I can ever think is "But why should I look for all these obscure bands? I don't have infinite time. And I like [insert popular "mainstream" band here]. What's wrong with that?" To be fair, I know plenty of bands people probably haven't heard of because I have satellite radio and many bands that can't get played on the radio due to content or terrible decisions by the people choosing the music get played there.

I hated hipsters before they were cool.

Although to be honest I don't really like the skinny jeans look.

My brother and I beat on Hipsters if we see them on the street.

NAAAH JK. I hate them. I know I shouldn't it will just make them happier but I can't stand the ones that think that just because you like a certain song on the radio you don't have a mind of your own and you're a mindless sheep.

Even though all of them look the same to me (I can't tell the if they are male or female...)
I can't stand the nut huggers or snatch catchers with the big fake 50's glasses hmmmph

I Have No Idea:
What's your opinion on hipsters? Do you see them a lot? Do you have hipster friends? Or are you a hipster yourself? Well, you can't really say that because then you wouldn't be a hipster because you admitted to being a hipster.

Well i wear all american eagle, im the anti hipster. I find hipster's pretentious in their own way.

if you ridicule hipsters for overusing the vintage filter on all of their photos...does that make you a hipster by default for hating something popular?

Teddy Roosevelt:

OT: I think hipsters are a rather annoying trend. Yes, I said trend. See, hipsters can't actually exist. They are devoutly against the mainstream, yet they have become mainstream, and even have a hipster dress code of sorts. Therefore, they have become an unstable mass and will someday in the very near future collapse into a collective, yet very obscure black hole.

Basically what happened to punks although they never disappeared and I don't think hipsters will entirely either. There's always going to be someone who thinks they can be non-conformist whilst joining a group of like-minded individuals (derp)

They are a cancer.
There are four ways to deal with a cancer:
1. Cut it out.
2. Poison it.
3. Nuke it.
4. Get experimental.

I don't mind them unless they have that stupid beard or use a mac.
Personally I think this guy is awesome.
All they are to me are people who don't take life too seriously and I can get behind that idea.
I don't hate people for their clothing, except baseball caps. Dear Cthulhu I hate baseball caps, I hate them for they way they act. so if a hipster and someone else are equal jerks I'll hate them equally.

They can go listen to their bands I've never heard of and wear their weird clothes all they want, as long as they're as far away from me as possible. Honestly, I couldn't stand having a person like that around. I wouldn't be able to bring up any interesting new games or movies without them criticizing me for being too mainstream and talking about things I've never heard of and never will. Every moment would carry the grinding desire to box them right in the mouth.
I like a lot of things that other people probably haven't heard of, but I don't flaunt it about like an attention loving little whore.

I don't know what a hipster is.

But I have a friend who hates hipsters with a passion and when I asked him what exactly a hipster was he pretty much described him self. So as far as I can tell "Hipster" is some slang for "hypocrite". Hypocrites who wear skinny jeans and nit caps, and exclusively listen to "indy" music.

I hate skinny jeans, love indy music and have no opinion on nit caps. My feelings on hipsters are mathematically indifferent.

Worgen:

I came into this thread to get a clearer definition myself.

Hehe, right now it is "hip" to gripe about hipsters. XD

Naw, I have always taken and used the term "hipsters" to describe someone who needs pack mentality to direct their decisions. To me, hipsters quote Extra Credits, Yahtzee, Moviebob, etc. in a thread as their opinion rather than post their opinion. Hipsters hate on COD... Hell, hipsters hate on the multiplayer community saying that someone cool is so rare it isn't worth looking. Hipsters lash out at anything that has been deemed "acceptable" to hate on.

This thread totally disagrees with my definition though. So I have no freakin' idea what the common consensus is on what a hipster is. Is the term "hipster" like the term "hardcore gamer"? Or am I just out of the loop. It seems a real flexible term.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked