Anonymous Threatens To Shut Down Internet Next Month

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Anonymous-Hactivist-UDP-packets-DNS-Servers-shut-down-the-web,news-14201.html

Oh my. Anonymous may be going too far this time.

The hactivist group is now threatening to shut down the internet to protest "SOPA, Wallstreet, our irresponsible leaders and the beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish needs out of sheer sadistic fun." If the threat is indeed real, the world's entire population will suffer Internet withdrawal on March 31 as a result of the group's crusade.

So how does Anonymous plan to take down the Internet? By hitting the 13 root DNS servers. Thus, the HTTP internet will be disabled because no one will be able to perform a domain name lookup. "Anybody entering 'http://www.google.com' or ANY other url, will get an error page, thus, they will think the Internet is down, which is, close enough," the group writes.

Anonymous claims this will only be a protest, and is not designed to "kill" the internet. Instead, Anonymous is temporarily shutting the Internet down "where it hurts the most."

"The principle is simple," Anonymous writes, explaining how the attack on the 13 DNS servers will be carried out. "A flaw that uses forged UDP packets is to be used to trigger a rush of DNS queries all redirected and reflected to those 13 IPs. The flaw is as follow; since the UDP protocol allows it, we can change the source IP of the sender to our target, thus spoofing the source of the DNS query."

Anonymous didn't state how long the Internet would be unavailable, only that it could last mere hours, or extend out for days. "No matter what, it will be global," the group concludes. "It will be known."

Oh yay. Thanks for that.

Stop the presses!

If they ever pulled this off it would be catastrophically bad and stupid. The media would just pull out "DEM CRAZY CYBER TERRORISTS" card, no one would know their true intentions and it might even sway people towards SOPA/PIPA etc.

Matthew94:
The media would just pull out "DEM CRAZY CYBER TERRORISTS" card, no one would know their true intentions and it might even sway people towards SOPA/PIPA etc.

In what way would they be wrong to do so?

If Anon really did this, they'd prove their opponents correct about as well as they could do. Governmental restrictions on the internet sound a lot fairer than no internet whatsoever.

Then we will fight in the shade.

No but seriously, I really doubt Anon has this capibility or else they would have done it long ago.

thaluikhain:

Matthew94:
The media would just pull out "DEM CRAZY CYBER TERRORISTS" card, no one would know their true intentions and it might even sway people towards SOPA/PIPA etc.

In what way would they be wrong to do so?

If Anon really did this, they'd prove their opponents correct about as well as they could do. Governmental restrictions on the internet sound a lot fairer than no internet whatsoever.

Did I say they would be wrong to do so?

No, I even said in the previous line that it was a stupid plan because of it.

Anon shutting down into the internet.....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...no.

This miiiight happen aaaaaaaaaaye

How to make friends and muster support?

Become just like those you allegedly oppose and attempt to close down free speech.

I can't see them pulling it off, thankfully.

Push forward anon. You have my support.

They will give nobody a good name by doing this. All they will do is make governments trust the internet less, and try to restrict it more. I'm all for them protesting but for gawds sake, I'm sure they can gauge the reaction they will get from this, and it would in no way help their cause.

...Can they do that?

Anon's gone mad with 'power'

regardless of whatever happens, i'm content watching everything in the world go to shit :) bye bye humanity! :D

March 30: ISPs worldwide adjust the expire time of their DNS caches.
March 31: Nobody notices a damn thing.

gigastrike:
...Can they do that?

Now I know Anonymous has quite a bit of "power." And by power I mean they have DDOS programs, oooh scary super criminals!

But the sheer manpower and computing power that would be needed to DDOS the -entire- internet, Yeah no.

I could see cutting access off to a small country, -maybe,- but what they're boasting, to shut down the -entire- internet, is unbelievable, and I've seen Anon pull some crazy sheet.

Now unfortunately, the fact that I've seen Anon do some wierd things -does- put a little seed of doubt in my mind that maybe they have something up their sleeve, and I really hope they aren't stupid enough to use it, because asa few have said, that'll swing a whole lot of favour back into the other court, and we are just starting to get a leg up on these bills/treaties.

Saucycarpdog:
Then we will fight in the shade.

No but seriously, I really doubt Anon has this capibility or else they would have done it long ago.

They had no reason to do this. Also stop referring to Anonymous as a group of hackers. It is an ambiguous title that anyone on the internet can have based on the arbitrary principle of wanting to have it.

Anon is generally a two-trick pony, and it is not an elite hacker group, rather an amoeba of anonymous internet users who are pretty damn smart when it comes to computers.

I generally support what they do, and I do in this case as well because I think that you guys overestimate the "internet terrorists" charade that the media might pull. Some will do that, but if OCCUPY has shown us anything, it's that you can go apeshit and the media won't really cover you anyway after a while and no one will care.

I like how they're calling their attacks "protests" now. They lost a lot of respect from the internet community as a whole last month with the Megaupload vengeance strike.

God damn how fucking stupid can Anon get? Honestly, even the premise sounds stupid.
"HEY GUIZE WE'ZA GONNA SHUT DOWN TEH INTERWEBS DERP"

If they ever did this it would be akin to closing off a major freeway for a month, so no Anonymous this is way too far. I doubt they would be capable of doing this however.

You know what? I hope they do it. I really, REALLY do. Why? Because when they do something that stupid then everyone will see them for what they really are. A bunch of idiots whose only purpose is to regulate the internet more than any government ever could.

So you know what? Do it. Do it, I dare you. That way, when the millions of people you pissed off come for you, you'll be burned at the stake and we'll be done away with a bunch of useless DDOS'ers.

Yes, shut down the internet. That will show those greedy bankers, I mean it's not like they have millions of dollars that they could use to entertain themselves in some other way or anything... wait.

But seriously, how do they expect this to do anything? All it will do (if they actually do it that is) is inconvenience tons of people. I'm so sure they're going to go through with it to, remember how they threatened to take down Facebook a while back? They certainly pulled through on that one didn't they?

1. Sure, give the government just the fuel they need to get the backing of the general public! You know how we managed to get SOPA stopped because of the various protests and such? Yeah, try to get enough support when the laws are said to be targeted at hackers.

2. I doubt Anon has the capability to do this. Even if they do it will piss so many people off that there will be arrests. It won't be that funny when the FBI kicks in your door and arrests you for being a cyber terrorist.

3. It will be down for hours at best even if they manage to do it. There are thousands of people around the world that know far more about the internet and computers than this group of kiddies. When their bosses start yelling at them to fix it, they will. It will end up being a hiccup that most people will attribute to a random ISP outage.

ToTaL LoLiGe:
Anon's gone mad with 'power'

"Of course I have. You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring, no one listens to you." ~ Russ Cargill

In all seriousness, this is a horrible plan. All they would do is prove the oppositions point about what kind of people are on the internet.

To use an example that most gamers, can probably understand. If someone accused you of being a violent person because you played video games, which do you think would be the appropriate response:

1. A well crafted argument for your case that showcases a lack of violent behavior on your part or...

2. Calling them a nasty name and saying how they should die for even thinking such slanderous things.

...I'll give you a hint, it's not 2.

Since I am "basically" addicted to the internet, I can only say this:

No... NO! Please dear lord no! Oh goodness no! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! Nonononononononono! I NEED IT!

I would get into how this won't work and the issues with trying to hit the 13 DNS servers.

However, I'll just let you read about the last real attack which shut down 9 of 13 servers.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/dns/secure-root-dns-servers_991

Honestly, I'd actually be tickled if they did it. What better way for the governments to take full control of the internet? All they'd have to do is keep the servers down while claiming that the attack did more damage than was advertised. (And how would Anonymous claim otherwise?) In the meantime, while the root servers are down, it wouldn't be too hard to either add a few steps to the process to help provide tracking information for who goes to what site or have the servers "accidently forget" the links between the DNS name and the IP address for troublesome sites such as Wikileaks. So, when they start bringing the servers up one at a time (to make sure their new steps work), the governments of the world now have both an internet more to their liking and a patsy to bear the brunt of everyone's wrath.

Hell, thinking about it, most people don't even really know how the servers work. It could be claimed that the servers were damaged beyond repair by the cyber-attack but, fortunately, a number of corporations (such as Comcast or AT&T) have volunteered their servers to be the new DNS servers. Most people would be so grateful to have their internet back that they wouldn't even notice an odd loss of net neutrality.

Honestly, this would be kinda funny in a "wow, you just managed to sink your own cause in one stroke" way.

Regnes:
I like how they're calling their attacks "protests" now. They lost a lot of respect from the internet community as a whole last month with the Megaupload vengeance strike.

You call it a bug, they call it a feature! =D

Jodah:
1. Sure, give the government just the fuel they need to get the backing of the general public! You know how we managed to get SOPA stopped because of the various protests and such? Yeah, try to get enough support when the laws are said to be targeted at hackers.

2. I doubt Anon has the capability to do this. Even if they do it will piss so many people off that there will be arrests. It won't be that funny when the FBI kicks in your door and arrests you for being a cyber terrorist.

3. It will be down for hours at best even if they manage to do it. There are thousands of people around the world that know far more about the internet and computers than this group of kiddies. When their bosses start yelling at them to fix it, they will. It will end up being a hiccup that most people will attribute to a random ISP outage.

Are you nuts? I can't see anything wrong with attacking something that's branded "D.O.D" That means.."Doughnuts of Deliciousness" right?

if they are willing to shut down the interwbes, they would have shut down facialbook, which they didn't.

anon needs the interwebz to comminciate with each other, and to make themselves feel awesome. ANON WILL NEVER SHUT DOWN THE INTERWEBZ. THEY ARE THE INTERWEBZ.

That's a large cloud of smoke they're puffing. Won't happen....moving on...

Tartarga:

But seriously, how do they expect this to do anything? All it will do (if they actually do it that is) is inconvenience tons of people.

I LOVE how you get all mad and say this about Anon, but when the OCCUPY protesters clogged streets and polluted many areas, everyone was fine with writing it off as "growing awareness for the fight against greedy banks!".

Seriously, this is starting to annoy me.

thepyrethatburns:
I would get into how this won't work and the issues with trying to hit the 13 DNS servers.

However, I'll just let you read about the last real attack which shut down 9 of 13 servers.

You're bluffing, you have little idea what you're talking about.

How do we know this is "anon"? Thats the thing about anon, is that its nobody and its everybody. It could be one person, it could be several, it could be a large group. Until they do anything you can't really be sure. How many fake youtube anonymous videos are there? Lots. Shut down the internet? Please, don't make me laugh.

Because you wont >:C

If they actually succeed with this I'll be quite impressed. Skeptical that they actually are capable though. guess I might as well get the IP's of my favorite sites so I'm not affected

Anon valiently and heroically striving to shut down internet based free speech and creativity to oppose censoring internet based free speech and creativity.

That's very big talk, but it's nothing more than talk at this point. When March 31st rolls around I'll be eager to see if they can put their money where their mouth is. Regardless of protest it would make for a wicked funny April fools joke.

I doubt it'd work. If it did, it wouldn't really be taking down the internet as mentioned as much as making it look like it's been taken down. Most people won't be able to access it due to a lack of DNS making the thing they're used to (text like www.-instetwebsitehere-.com). People should still be able to connect to websites using a direct link created by using the sites' actual IP addresses. At least as far as I understand it. I could be wrong.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked