Things you find woefully unfunny, but other people like.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I recently tried to find a good new TV show to watch. I decided to try 'How I Met Your Mother' after seeing all the praise N.P.H. gets for playing Barney.

That's when I decided to start this thread (and also to give up looking for something new and re-watch every episode of Louie). Is there anything out there that other people find hilarious, but totally fails to tickle your funny bone?

I'm not really looking to objectively argue that something is or is not funny, all these opinions are to be considered just that, opinions.

Anyway, my list would include:
-How I Met Your Mother
-The Big Bang Theory
-Spaceballs (even though I love Star Wars)
-the Scary Movie films

So what's out there that fails to make you laugh?

Conversely, seen anything out there recently that really succeeded in entertaining you?

Black adder.. in fact, anything with Rowin Atkinson that isn't The Lion King

Just about any internet meme that has ever existed, ever.

Might be worth a laugh the first time, not so funny the 305th time.

Gavin & Stacey. I never understood why people like it, and I look at James Corden and think 'what's his appeal?'

And I might get some schtick for this but The Mighty Boosh. It's just dumb surrealism for the sake of it and it just annoys me.

Anything by that bloke who did the Mighty Boosh (whose name has escaped me today).
He is just not funny at all and everything he does is just painful.

As for what does make me laugh, I love stand-up. Russell Howard, Dara O'Brian, Adam Hills, Micheal Macintyre, Russel Kane, love them all.

Family guy after it was brought back from being cancelled. The writing was worse, the characters changed (specifically Meg).

The cut-aways became less about specific jokes and more about pop-culture references and absurdity.

But worst of all I hate it when they go for the 'shock jock' angle, I don't find anything they do offensive but it's the fact they are trying to be offensive for the sake of shocking people that irritates me.

Jackass...
Little Britain...
Peter Kay...
The League of Gentlemen...
The Office...
Frankie Boyle (appearances on Mock the Week notwithstanding)...

Oh, so many things, but that'll suffice for now...

The Office. In fact everything Ricky Gervais does. I like the guy but I dont find anything he does funny.

Same goes for Russell Brand & the Mighty Boosh.

How I Met Your Mother. I dont know how anyone laughs about anything in that show. Its watchable, but its just not funny.

I have to agree with you on Big Bang Theory. My best friend likes it and thinks its pretty funny. I find it unbearable.

Some interesting answers. I forgot to include one that Phasmal mentioned, and that's The Mighty Boosh, and even more so, Fielding's new show on channel 4, visually striking but so so unfunny.

Spent so much effort on making it look 'trippy' they forgot to add the jokes ^_^

Limecake:
Family guy after it was brought back from being cancelled. The writing was worse, the characters changed (specifically Meg).

The cut-aways became less about specific jokes and more about pop-culture references and absurdity.

You think that's bad? Remember the time I went skiing with Dr. Manhattan and The Annoying Orange?

But yeah, it's gone pretty downhill. I haven't watched it in months as I can't be bothered with it.

AnythIng my girlfriend does. I tease hey and say shes not funny because she is an accountant .

Telivision wise . Everything , i used to watch a lot of comedy as a kid , so unfortunately now everything seems so rehashed . But thats mostly my fault , and although i don't find the big bang theory funny , i still like to watch an episode every once in a while . I think the last tv show i found funny was that 70s shoe and that was a while back . I do however find House halarious , but that isn't exacly a comedy .

Internet memes. I just don't know how something that is barely even humorous and is repeated ad nauseum can be funny? I just simply cannot understand that, at all.

Those animated comedy shows. Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad. In some instances, acting like complete fools can be funny (See: Mr. Bean, Smokey & The Bandit) but those animated shows just over do it in a way that doesn't even crack a smile on my face.

I always love these threads with specific thread titles that are disguised as a "tell me about your thing" and more of a "listen to me rant" thing.

It's like "Movies your second aunt made you watch that you despise."

AnythingOutstanding:
I always love these threads with specific thread titles that are disguised as a "tell me about your thing" and more of a "listen to me rant" thing.

It's like "Movies your second aunt made you watch that you despise."

I suppose there's an element of truth to that, but I also find it genuinely interesting that some people find certain things funny, while others really don't. Cultural divides aren't even always the case.

Like, I find it fascinating that one of the first replies was about Blackadder, and I find that interesting because I find it to be one of the funniest things that has ever been on TV, ever.

I'm not saying that person is wrong for not finding it funny, merely interesting.

Pretty much all new comedy shows that aren't panel shows like "QI", "Have I got news for you", and "Would I lie to you" to name a few. There are some exceptions of course but not many. Mind you, I've pretty much given up watching TV now. If it's interesting I'll watch it on the Iplayer or Youtube.

Fart jokes/bathroom humor. I can't for the life of me understand what's so damned funny about fart jokes and how Hollywood continue to make so much money off them.

Also, most memes (internet and otherwise). Especially "That's what she said."

And every stand-up comedian I've ever heard. God, they make me cringe. This goes triple for Jerry Seinfeld.

Not such a huge thing anymore, but Will & Grace. It just isn't funny to me.

Almost anything posted on Facebook is not funny.
1. Pictures of peoples kids doing wacky stuff- Not funny.
2. Updates about what happened last night- Not funny.
3. Stupid quotes they made up- Not funny.
4. Stuff they send me from the bowels of the internet- Not funny.

South Park and Family Guy. The sense of humor just doesn't appeal to me very much.

Adventure Time, Regular Show.... pretty much most of what they show on Cartoon Network nowadays. I gave those two shows a shot, and I was not amused.

Angry Juju:
Black adder.. in fact, anything with Rowin Atkinson that isn't The Lion King

Ooooooh that could make a few people a bit annoyed. I for one find it extremely funny XD but I can understand how someone wouldn't find it funny.

For me its definitely 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Big Bang Theory'.

Both unfunny, both boring, both repetitive, both annoying.

Eh.

"two and a half men"- any monets it might have are out weight by how horrible and hateful the show is

also "get back in the kitchen"- not just because its offensive...but also because its stupid and not particually witty

Everything that Sacha Baren Cohen has ever done or said, or will ever do or say, in regards to anything, ever, in the now, in the future, or in any parallel dimensions.

Call me crazy, but I dislike anything with a laugh track. It feels really annoying having the show tell me something was funny, and I should be laughing. It takes me right out of it. On that topic, I really dislike Big Bang Theory, all sitcoms, and most comedy shows, with the exception of Colbert and The Daily show, because they seem like genuine live laughter and applause.

I create my own laugh track to Archer though. That show is the most brilliant comedy in 15 years. Favorite line this week has to be:

Archer: I'm responding to a burglary alarm Lana, which is the reason I'm not up to my eyes in stewardess.

I find all of the ____ Movie! movies and any 'comedy' staring the late Leslie Nielsen to be painfully unfunny. Most of the Disney and Nickelodeon original shows, My Wife and Kids and the majority of Mind of Mencia episodes are just normally unfunny.

Though I will admit that my sense of humor tends to lean towards the more darker and messed up side of things. Archer, South Park, Venture Brothers and 1,000 ways to die are at the top of my list of favorite funny shows. And I love dark/black comedies (Death to Smoochy, 8 Heads in a Dufflebag and 30 minutes or Less are my favorites in that category).

Big Bang Theory.
Any "meme" featured on 9gag or memebase. They're forced and couldn't be less funny.

BathorysGraveland:
Internet memes. I just don't know how something that is barely even humorous and is repeated ad nauseum can be funny? I just simply cannot understand that, at all.

Those animated comedy shows. Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad. In some instances, acting like complete fools can be funny (See: Mr. Bean, Smokey & The Bandit) but those animated shows just over do it in a way that doesn't even crack a smile on my face.

To be fair memes used to be subtle and created after someone did something hilarious, and used in certain times. Forced memes are the ones being spewed out every other second.

Most anime comedy. The jokes just feel really recycled and plain to me (there are plenty still that have me on the floor laughing but..), yet my anime loving friends always go on about specific parts that they find to be epic or flippin' hilarious that I see and think, "seen it" for the hundredth time which I do not always point out in a flippant manner, but instead respond to them with, meh, it's alright I guess. Seeing a little girl send giant beams of heavenly light crashing down the earth can only be epic for so many times, until you begin to notice a cycle of this where you can already anticipate their cliche and realize that little girls are the strongest breed of human in anime, and at the bottom of the food chain is the muscly looking guys who actually work out and that people will laugh at the exact same premise of a little girl annihilating an army a lot without getting bored of it over and over again.

Bradeck:
Call me crazy, but I dislike anything with a laugh track. It feels really annoying having the show tell me something was funny, and I should be laughing. It takes me right out of it.

Amen. After watching a few shows with out them (mostly Community) I can't stand it when a show tells me when to laugh.

Memes of course and as the op stated the scary movie parody films. Oh my god who finds that tasteless humor funny? Family guy is sort of odd though. Before cancellation it was absolutely horrible. After being renewed it reached a high point, which isn't saying much, and then came the past few seasons. Nothing but throwbacks to old episodes, horrible gag humor, and just plain bad writing.

EVERY SINGLE THING ON TV

But rather then make a post that never ends I am just going to come out and say any episode of the Simpsons and South Park for the last 2-4 years.

Each episode of South Park has only one joke, and they beat that joke way past the point of a dead horse by the end of the episode. Randy (stan's Dad) is the most unlikeable, obnoxious and un-entertaining character I have ever had the displeasure of watching, and now he is the main character which makes the show that much worse. Every single thing he does comes off like a child screaming and waving their arms in front of a camera for attention. Chef was the best character, and he is gone (R.I.P. Isaac Haze) but he ditched the show long before that, and good for him for it. And I am not even going to talk bout the whole political/pop culture message thing because it is too widely known to need reference. I liked this show a lot better when it was just 4 kids cussing, fending off aliens and talking to Christmas poo.

The Simpsons are a parody of the parody sitcom family they once were, and that's why it's not funny. Each episode is now written, animated and voiced like the characters are actors playing parodies of the character they once were. The worst (and baffling) part about this is it's clearly done intentionally. Is this supposed to make it better? No, not at all. I used to still watch the Halloween specials each year because those where the highlights of each season, even long after the series passed it's prime. But even the Halloween specials have become outright unwatchable, ye gods...

Phasmal:
Anything by that bloke who did the Mighty Boosh (whose name has escaped me today).
He is just not funny at all and everything he does is just painful.

As for what does make me laugh, I love stand-up. Russell Howard, Dara O'Brian, Adam Hills, Micheal Macintyre, Russel Kane, love them all.

Adam Hills, are you Australian or just well versed?

The Big Bang Theory and more or less How I Met Your Mother.

To give How I Met Your Mother some credit, it has made me laugh a few times, usually on account of Neil Patrick Harris, but the Big Bang Theory... fucking hell. It didn't just not make me laugh, it made me frown. It's the first show I've ever seen that made me react so negatively.

Comedy films.

Specifically, most comedies of the 21st century. Ever time I see a preview for a comedy, I can only think of how not very funny it looks.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked