The worst actor working today

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

lRookiel:
Who said Nicholas cage? I'll tear their arms off!

Nick Cage is really hit and miss. In some films he's brilliant, but then on the flipside 'NOT THE BEES!!'

OT: Michael Cera. Fucking hate that guy and he just does the same role in everything.

DevilWithaHalo:

Axolotl:
What the hell are people doing saying Nic Cage? Seriously have you people even seen the good movies he's done?

You mean the one where he plays a slightly eccentric but emotionally distant lone ranger do to unfortunate circumstance in back-story who gets coincidentally roped into a noble pursuit where his actions secure the well being and emotional growth of supporting characters under his unlikely tutelage where he learns just as much from them? Because that's ALL of them!

Bad Lieutenant, Adaptation, Face Off, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Honeymoon in Vegas, The Rock, etc. The dude is pretty varied.

Dick Van bloody Dyke purely for that bloody accent in Mary bloody Poppins....

Megan Fox. Yeah, she's not too bad to look at so her roles are great if I mute my TV.

Kristen Stewart. I only watched one Twilight when my wife forced me to take her to make up for breaking her favourite china *creepy as fuck, i'm watching you and will come to life to eat your face* doll... But the time I spent in that cinema was, quite possibly, the third most painful experience i've ever had when watching a movie (the others being Open Water in 1st place and The Village being 2nd). Her facial expressions are exactly the same, her surprise looks just like her angry.

Jean-Claude Van Damme. Doesn't matter what character he plays they are all exactly the fucking same.

Steven Seagal. See above.

Arnie. See above.

Dolph Lundgren. See above.

DugMachine:
Ashton Kutcher's acting hurts me, like, right in my soul man. As for female... uh the chick that costarred with him in Friends with Benefits or No strings Attached. Whatever the fuck it was called

Mila Kunis prehaps...?

The only film I've seen her in is Forgetting Sarah Marshall, so I'm not really sure about her acting integrity to be honest.

Rawne1980:
Dick Van bloody Dyke purely for that bloody accent in Mary bloody Poppins....

Aww. How can you hate Dick Van Dyke? Yeah, his accent in that one movie was awful, but he's suck a fun actor that I can't really hold it against him.

Here's a shout out for all the Nick Cage fans in this thread:

And yeah, he's crossed the threshold into "So awful it's strangely brilliant" on numerous occasions.

DugMachine:
Ashton Kutcher's acting hurts me, like, right in my soul man. As for female... uh the chick that costarred with him in Friends with Benefits or No strings Attached. Whatever the fuck it was called

Jazoni89:

Mila Kunis prehaps...?

The only film I've seen her in is Forgetting Sarah Marshall, so I'm not really sure about her acting integrity to be honest.

If it's the film with Ashton Kutcher, it's No Strings Attached, and his co-star was the talented Natalie Portman...
Friends With Benefits starred Justin Timberlake, acting alongside Mila Kunis. It was a very funny film and Kunis has some acting ability as well as being smoking hot.

BloatedGuppy:

And yeah, he's crossed the threshold into "So awful it's strangely brilliant" on numerous occasions.

Nick Cage is basically the Vincent Price of today. He is either absolutely brilliant or so over the top he makes whatever he is in somewhat enjoyable.

DevilWithaHalo:

Axolotl:
What the hell are people doing saying Nic Cage? Seriously have you people even seen the good movies he's done?

You mean the one where he plays a slightly eccentric but emotionally distant lone ranger do to unfortunate circumstance in back-story who gets coincidentally roped into a noble pursuit where his actions secure the well being and emotional growth of supporting characters under his unlikely tutelage where he learns just as much from them? Because that's ALL of them!

He has more range than people give him credit for, he doesn't use it often but still.

Im going with adam sandler personally, despite always playing the same character i used to like him, but after "funny people" in which he spoofed comedy sellouts to only go and do that the year after i just lost all respect for that guy.

DevilWithaHalo:

I'm keeping the formula for the moment...

Axolotl:
No I mean the one where he plays a simle-minded yet lovable criminal who upon finding out that he can't have a child with his wife, goes out to kidnap a baby.

Eccentric? Check; he's a criminal looking for love kidnapping a baby. Emotionally distant before of back story? Check; his criminal past prevents him from legally adopting. Noble pursuit? Check; he's just trying to raise a family. Emotional growth of characters? Check; his wife realizes the errors of ruining another family just to have their own. Learned as much? Check; he tried to avoid returning to his criminal way of life.

Axolotl:
Or how about the one where he plays the Elvis-loving semi-psychotic convict that travels America with his girlfriend listening to rock music and being chased by the messed up assasins ever seen in a film.

Not personally familiar with this work... looking up IMDB... Wild at Heart? I just read the synopsis on Wiki, and yah, I could paint the same picture with the same formula.

Axolotl:
You know, his good films.

A good film doesn't excuse bad acting. And bad films can have better acting then they deserve.

axlryder:
Bad Lieutenant, Adaptation, Face Off, Raising Arizona, Leaving Las Vegas, Honeymoon in Vegas, The Rock, etc. The dude is pretty varied.

Wow... really? I'll just run some things off the top of my head... (*The Bad Lieutenant*, Bad Lieutenant is a completely different movie)

Slightly Eccentric: Target obsession, Chemical Super Freak, Elvis impersonator, etc.
Assorted Past: Criminal history, sons death, back injury, etc.
Emotionally Distant: drug infused romance, melancholic depression, etc.
Coincidentally roped: only one who knows how to act as criminal to find location of bomb, only one who understands chemical composition, etc
Noble pursuit: saves people, saves people again, wants family, etc.
Supporting Characters well being and development: makes up with mother, Mason gets a clean slate with his daughter, etc.
He learns just as much: how to be a man, how to be a father, gets over his depression, he sobers up, etc.

Now granted, you could potentially write a formula for every type cast actor, and that's the problem. I don't like type cast actors, unless they are excessively good at what they do. Cage is not, and his type irritates me to no end. Just as Jack Black's type irritates me as does Marky Mark.

If you want to see actors capable of varied roles; look at Morgan Freeman and Tom Hanks.

DevilWithaHalo:

DevilWithaHalo:

I'm keeping the formula for the moment...

Axolotl:
No I mean the one where he plays a simle-minded yet lovable criminal who upon finding out that he can't have a child with his wife, goes out to kidnap a baby.

Eccentric? Check; he's a criminal looking for love kidnapping a baby. Emotionally distant before of back story? Check; his criminal past prevents him from legally adopting. Noble pursuit? Check; he's just trying to raise a family. Emotional growth of characters? Check; his wife realizes the errors of ruining another family just to have their own. Learned as much? Check; he tried to avoid returning to his criminal way of life.

Axolotl:
Or how about the one where he plays the Elvis-loving semi-psychotic convict that travels America with his girlfriend listening to rock music and being chased by the messed up assasins ever seen in a film.

Not personally familiar with this work... looking up IMDB... Wild at Heart? I just read the synopsis on Wiki, and yah, I could paint the same picture with the same formula.

Axolotl:

A good film doesn't excuse bad acting. And bad films can have better acting then they deserve.

axlryder:

Wow... really? I'll just run some things off the top of my head... (*The Bad Lieutenant*, Bad Lieutenant is a completely different movie)

Slightly Eccentric: Target obsession, Chemical Super Freak, Elvis impersonator, etc.
Assorted Past: Criminal history, sons death, back injury, etc.
Emotionally Distant: drug infused romance, melancholic depression, etc.
Coincidentally roped: only one who knows how to act as criminal to find location of bomb, only one who understands chemical composition, etc
Noble pursuit: saves people, saves people again, wants family, etc.
Supporting Characters well being and development: makes up with mother, Mason gets a clean slate with his daughter, etc.
He learns just as much: how to be a man, how to be a father, gets over his depression, he sobers up, etc.

Now granted, you could potentially write a formula for every type cast actor, and that's the problem. I don't like type cast actors, unless they are excessively good at what they do. Cage is not, and his type irritates me to no end. Just as Jack Black's type irritates me as does Marky Mark.

If you want to see actors capable of varied roles; look at Morgan Freeman and Tom Hanks.

You're only including a few of those elements for each of the movies. Please explain to me how ALL of those films fit your rather specific formula. What's more, he has fairly a different personality in each of those films. Heck, in Face Off and Adaptation he plays two different characters (sort of) in each movie. It sounds more like you're just trying to shoehorn those films in to meet your own preconceived notions. I'll give you the eccentric bit (though I'd say it varies beyond just slightly), as he does tend to have eccentricities in most films he plays in. However, given that those eccentricities and the way they're portrayed vary significantly from character to character, it's not as though that's the most damning thing that could be said about an actor.

Keanu Reeves. It's kind of fitting that his most famous role is in a late 90s movie set in a computer generated world, because he's about as animated and expressive as a late 90s video game character.

DevilWithaHalo:

Except he isn't emotionally distant, he isn't fighting for a noble causing, he's stealing a baby. Yes the movie has character growth, most good films do.

Axolotl:

You're accuseing a David Lynch film of being formula?

Axolotl:

Except he doesn't act badly, his performances help define Raising Arizona and Wild at Heart. And these are films by the Coen Brothers and David Lynch, some of the best directors to ever work in Hollywood.

Male- Dane Cook.
I like him as a comedian but as an actor he and his movies need to be thrown off a mountain. I'm looking at you Good Luck Chuck. Waiting was the only thing that's decent, and maybe Employee of the Month on a good day.

Female- Sandra Bullock.
I can't stand her, not one bit. Everything she's in just makes me want to tear my own face off. Specifically All About Steve. Fuck you Bullock, I want that two hours back.

Jason Statham. The best/worst one dimensional actor around

Tartarga:
Male- Dane Cook.
I like him as a comedian but as an actor he and his movies need to be thrown off a mountain. I'm looking at you Good Luck Chuck. Waiting was the only thing that's decent, and maybe Employee of the Month on a good day.

Female- Sandra Bullock.
I can't stand her, not one bit. Everything she's in just makes me want to tear my own face off. Specifically All About Steve. Fuck you Bullock, I want that two hours back.

To be fair, that movie was EXCEPTIONALLY bad when compared to most of her other films.

Jason Statham

He can only play one role; Jason Statham.
The role is awesome but tiring

I'm sure he's already been mentioned at least once already...but Tom Cruise. :P

BloatedGuppy:

100% unaldulterated lulz... Nick isn't a bad actor, he just doesn't give a fuck haha. If you want OTT crazy there's few better...

OT:

I'd go for Mark Wahlburg unless he happens to be portraying a brick wall.

Kristen Stewart unless she happens to be portraying a brick wall pretending to be another brick wall...

RJ 17:

Are you confusing real life Tom Cruise with on-screen Tom Cruise?

He's a great actor. Name three films he has been truly awful in...

EeveeElectro:
If anyone says Nicholas Cage I'll punch you!!! He's the greatest actor of all time, I love him.

Yes, but on the other hand he is so great it all goes around and he reaches bad again.

Sixcess:
Keanu Reeves. It's kind of fitting that his most famous role is in a late 90s movie set in a computer generated world, because he's about as animated and expressive as a late 90s video game character.

That is kind of fiting. I think he only has one character, which is "dude relaxed but not really grasping all the weird shit around him", which is pretty appropiate in Matrix 1. In the other movies, on the other hand...

Anyway, I don't think he is good, but he is nowhere near the worst.

Uhm, yeah, Steven Seagal beats 99% of the choices here.

Seriously; Micheal Cera, Shia LaBeouf, Keanu Reeves?

No, even Arnold Schwarzenegger can't match the shittiness of Seagal. Maybe Orlando Bloom could, but only by a slight margin.

Raven's Nest:

RJ 17:

Let's see....

Mission Impossible.

Mission Impossible 2.

Mission Impossible 3.

:P That wasn't too hard.

Casual Shinji:

To be fair, the OP did specify to "avoid citing B-movie actors," which is probably why Seagal wasn't mentioned. ;)

Raven's Nest:

RJ 17:

It's primarily because of his craziness that he's so good at what he does.

Just like Mel Gibson.

Well...I hate Daniel Craig as an actor. His version of Jason Bourne James Bond is just dreadful.

TheBobmus:
Jack Black and Eddie Murphy, as a rule. There are exceptions in their older work, but today all their stuff feels tired and unfunny.
For the ladies it's Sarah Jessica Parker.

Edit: Also there's the obvious Taylor Lautner, who has the acting ability of a Starfish.

I agree with all of this, but I have to highlight Jack Black. He has one thing: Mangling his sentences with a sort of rocker humming sound. It wasn't even funny the first time. Also, his face is irritating.

I'm going to go super duper obvious and say Megan Fox.

I see there is a lot of hate for Nic Cage. Well I'll only add to it slightly. I don't much like him. Especially after going to see Ghost Rider 2. (now that was a terribvle movie and terrible acting) I literally sat in th cinema laughing at inappropriate moments just because of the acting. That said, I do have to give him credit where credit is due. Match-stick Men was a good movie, Leaving Las Vegas and of course his best movie by far was 8mm.

I can-not stand Megan Fox, She just annoys the hell outta me.

Ray Liotta had literally only one mvie that his acting wasn't complete crap in and that was Goodfella's But granted that was probably because DeNiro and Pesci made the movie great.

Sharon Stone is a talentless annoying woman. And pretty much based the acting career on playing sluts. (sorry just my opinion)

Brad Pitt, god all that man ever does in movies is eat.

RJ 17:

Raven's Nest:

RJ 17:

Let's see....

Mission Impossible.

Mission Impossible 2.

Mission Impossible 3.

:P That wasn't too hard.

Not that I agree with you but that's the same character... If you didn't like him in the first you weren't going to like him in the rest...

Marter:

Casual Shinji:

To be fair, the OP did specify to "avoid citing B-movie actors," which is probably why Seagal wasn't mentioned. ;)

Well then, Orlando Bloom all the way.

That guy is like a wet blanket covered in margarine.

The Night Angel:
I have to say that Kristen Stewart. The woman has no talent, she just does the zombie face all the time. Not just in Twilight, in other movies too. I honestly don't know how she got in the business. To be fair though, Bella strikes me as being more than a little stupid in the books, so I suppose she fit that role at least. [/rant]

Not sure which male actor, there are a few pretty awful ones. :)

Well, she might've been a little better when she was... a child. She starred in Catch that Kid. Maybe, that's how. She's just gotten worse. (Seriously, now, she looks like she's gotta make a record-breaking puke/crap every minute!) Big studios only care about your big accomplishments in the past. They don't care if you're talentless now. Actually... wait... A lot of them don't care about talent, anyway. They just want to know how much dough you can rake in for them.

Anyway, I have really come to dislike Jim Carrey. A LOT. He is not an actor. He fails to fit the criteria. He always pulls the exact same personality every single time. That's not acting. Acting is to be able to pretend you are other personalities. This is far from acting. He's energetic, but he doesn't really "act", strictly-speaking.

Have I yet mentioned enough times that he really can't actually "act"?

axlryder:
You're only including a few of those elements for each of the movies. Please explain to me how ALL of those films fit your rather specific formula. What's more, he has fairly a different personality in each of those films. Heck, in Face Off and Adaptation he plays two different characters (sort of) in each movie. It sounds more like you're just trying to shoehorn those films in to meet your own preconceived notions. I'll give you the slightly eccentric bit, as he does tend to have eccentricities in most films he plays in. However, given that those eccentricities and the way they're portrayed vary significantly from character to character, it's not as though that's the most damning thing that could be said about an actor.

Sorry, you can't expect me to take the time to do anything you're accusing me of being bias about; that's rather self defeating waste of time. You like him, I don't and gave reasons. You disagree, now we can move on with our lives.

Axolotl:
Except he isn't emotionally distant, he isn't fighting for a noble causing, he's stealing a baby. Yes the movie has character growth, most good films do.

Trying to give his wife the family she wants isn't noble? Sure the road to hell is paved with good intentions, the intent behind the act was a good one.

Axolotl:
You're accuseing a David Lynch film of being formula?

The film? No. The actor? Yes. But even good directors can be somewhat formulaic (sadly even those some might enjoy, like Joss Whedon).

Axolotl:
Except he doesn't act badly, his performances help define Raising Arizona and Wild at Heart. And these are films by the Coen Brothers and David Lynch, some of the best directors to ever work in Hollywood.

The quality of their work overall has been decent enough (Watching No Country For Old Men seemed equivalent to paint drying), but even some of the best directors have produced absolute shit. While a matter of popular opinion, even here on the Escapist, many examples can be given. One in particular springs to mind, I'll give you a hint, his last name rhymes with mucus.

I will grant that Cage sometimes has moments of charming enthusiasm, but as a general rule I tend to be uninterested in his work.

Marter:

Casual Shinji:

I got Stephen Seagal confused with Jason Segel for a moment. I would have been pissed...

Keanu Reaves. Watch Dracula, and you'll see what I mean.

"Oh, my wife is dying... should I show some emotion?

...Nah."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked