Teen faces expulsion after brining stun-gun to school to fend off bullies

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Mother gives child a weapon . . .and sends him to school.

Stupidity all around, move along people, move along.

Being someone who was horrifically bullied myself.. even to the point of being choked by my tie.. id say a stun gun is a perfectly reasonable fightback device as its fairly non-lethal and will keep the bullies away.

Wolverine18:

lacktheknack:

Wolverine18:
My my, all these people who have no concept of reality and would rather use a weapon than their head.

Using your head is overrated. It's harder to hide the injuries afterwards. Plus, your neck hurts afterwards, as well as restricting the swing area required to make a good hit. Most people tend to protect their heads in these situations as one's fists, feet or carried object typically makes a better blunt weapon. Alternatively, a static stun gun or pepper spray. Those are the most effective and are more likely to doscourage the bully from trying again.

Unless you're referring to Macgyvering a shield out of the air, walls and floor as six brutes bear down on you. In which case, go ahead.

(Generally, people who tell bullied kids to "use your head" are simply too lazy and aloof and don't care enough to come up with an actual solution.)

Fortunately I'm from a country where both stun guns and pepper spray are illegal to use. Somehow kids manage to deal with bullies without that.Plus by finding solutions that don't involve a weapon they don't escalate the matter into a weapons battle that eventually they will lose, they don't break laws, and they actually find ways to stop problems that build their confidence and discourage future bullies by generating respect.

And I did supply a series of answers above to alternatives.

What we seem to have here is a cross dressing boy who wasn't smart enough to talk down agressors, tone down his dress, or simply have friends. He must have demonstrated lack of confidence or they wouldn't have picked on him for any length of time. Through the absense of the father in the story, he was probably without a father and thus didn't know how to handle himself as a man in that situation. So what did he do? Pulled a weapon? A cowardly response that will only make his life worse. He's lucky, for example, that they fled. He pulled a weapon first, at that point they could have taken him out and reasonably claimed self defence.

I don't give a damn what brought him up to that point in time, what matters is that he was at it. And his options at that exact moment were A. pull a stun gun, or B. take a beating.

People can spout all the legal/moral/ethical/empirically logical fucking bullshit they want but that is because they have never been in a situation where THEY FEARED/FOUGHT FOR THEIR LIFE. I have had multiple attempts on my life by youth street gangs be it with knives, knuckle dusters, or hammers.

The system (school, cops) did nothing for months until a cop stopped a knife from gutting me (actually had his gun out, safety off). I had a lead pipe in my hand and I was ready to kill, you do not think in those situations, you do. I know what I am talking about, until you are put into a situation where you fear for your life, how well do you know how you will react?

You could argue this kid hand hindsight and he made the choice to take the weapon or not but until you have been in a situation where you believe that you may one day never come home after God knows how much abuse, how well do you know what you would do?

As told from the survivor of multiple murder attempts as a thirteen year old.

So as far as I can tell he was never physically hurt... the school made some effort to resolve the issue (note how it says the administration didn't do enough not that they did nothing) that the mother felt wasn't enough and so she she though the best course of action was to have her son bring a weapon to school. This mother needs to reconsider what she thinks is an appropriate response.

Wolverine18:

lacktheknack:

Wolverine18:
My my, all these people who have no concept of reality and would rather use a weapon than their head.

Using your head is overrated. It's harder to hide the injuries afterwards. Plus, your neck hurts afterwards, as well as restricting the swing area required to make a good hit. Most people tend to protect their heads in these situations as one's fists, feet or carried object typically makes a better blunt weapon. Alternatively, a static stun gun or pepper spray. Those are the most effective and are more likely to doscourage the bully from trying again.

Unless you're referring to Macgyvering a shield out of the air, walls and floor as six brutes bear down on you. In which case, go ahead.

(Generally, people who tell bullied kids to "use your head" are simply too lazy and aloof and don't care enough to come up with an actual solution.)

Fortunately I'm from a country where both stun guns and pepper spray are illegal to use. Somehow kids manage to deal with bullies without that.Plus by finding solutions that don't involve a weapon they don't escalate the matter into a weapons battle that eventually they will lose, they don't break laws, and they actually find ways to stop problems that build their confidence and discourage future bullies by generating respect.

What we seem to have here is a cross dressing boy who wasn't smart enough to talk down agressors, tone down his dress, or simply have friends. He must have demonstrated lack of confidence or they wouldn't have picked on him for any length of time. Through the absense of the father in the story, he was probably without a father and thus didn't know how to handle himself as a man in that situation. So what did he do? Pulled a weapon? A cowardly response that will only make his life worse. He's lucky, for example, that they fled. He pulled a weapon first, at that point they could have taken him out and reasonably claimed self defence.

You are a terrible human being

That is all

Terminate421:
She should have taught him martial arts, much more legal.

While I fully endorse martial arts, I think that it would take too long for him to be able to use it in an actual self-defense situation. He needed a solution now, not a few months/years later. And even if he did, would he do it to protect himself and others or to get revenge?

I am not sure how to feel about this story, I feel for the kid as I was in his position. Being Bi I have gotten my fair share of people treating me like shit. So I can understand where he is coming from. He should be able to wear whatever he wants and love what gender he wants to love, while not having to worry about it. Especially in a school, which should be a safe place according to what teachers and principles always try telling us. I have wanted to punch someone saying I am wrong and immoral on more than one occasion because they are just not willing to listen to reason. I am a fairly smart guy, and normally can have a debate with someone and actually argue my point. But the majority of the time, bullies aren't exactly open to debate.

On the other hand he did bring a weapon to school, a bad move no matter what the case. I can't defend him here other than to say when you have exhausted all other possible paths, the only one left to take is the drastic one. According to the article he went through the proper channels to get help, he talked to the teachers and principle. They did nothing. This is another thing I have experience with. School staff most of the time will not do much of anything, because they don't want to anger any of the bully's parents and have it threaten their jobs.

lacktheknack:

Wolverine18:

kickyourass:
The kid was being threatened by 6 people and a 6 on 1 beating is absolutely a life threatening situation. The school wasn't doing anything to protect him for this sort of thing so what else was he supposed to do?
If you have a better solution I'd honestly love to hear it, but I don't see any other options this kid had

You call THE POLICE. It's their job. The school can deal with small stuff, but threatening a physical attack is a crime.

There is also self defense training, deescaelation training, walking with friends, standing down bullies (most will back off if pushed), switching schools, and MANY other solutions.

In addition to the kid being charged in this case, I'm rather disappointed the mother wasn't charged as well. At the very least child services needs to review her custody, she doesn't appear to be a fit parent. I wonder where the dad is in all this, oh wait, I can probably guess.

I dealt with bullies as kids, a stun gun is not the answer. There are plenty of answers, that isn't one of them.

Why not?

This is a civilian short-range non-Taser stun gun. It's basically a powerful portable Van-de-Graf generator, something that we played with one physics class with teacher's consent. The shocks hurt, but are NOWHERE NEAR deadly, unless you have a barely-functioning heart and get hit in the upper-torso all while Lady Luck frowns a frown of death. It's as safe as self-defense measures GET. When you have six people blocking you into a corner and threatening to pummel you into oblivion, it's all well and good to talk semantics, options, and how the school SHOULD be intervening, and how people SHOULDN'T bully others... as you get pummeled into oblivion. Good luck reaching a phone to call police (who won't come and attend a schoolyard standoff anyhow).

And what are the "other answers"? That's a slap in the face to anyone who was unable to stop bullies as children. I faced bullies as well, and I don't know how you did it, but the only thing that permanently stopped a bully before I outgrew them all was when I grabbed a big stick and threatened to bash his head in with it. Don't like that? DEAL WITH IT, IT WORKED BETTER THAN ANY OTHER METHOD. I tried all the others I could think of.

And quite frankly, "threatening to mildly injure" is a much better "solution" than your proposed "switch schools" or "threaten with greater injury" (a common effect of self-defense training), and some of your other ones simply won't work. De-escalation requires the other person to be somewhat reasonable, walking with friends requires friends, evasion requires speed, standing down requires cowardly bullies, NONE OF WHICH I had to work with.

I LAUD this kid for having the balls to make motions of fighting back, as well as having the brains to fire a warning shot first. I laud the mother for actually using the full extent of her power (up to arming her kid with a non-fatal stun-gun) as far as she needed to to make a goddamned difference.

Your post reeks of wishy-washy idealism that simply doesn't stand up in a bad bullying situation.

gotta agree with you, i was the target uf bullying too ( chronic ear infection at the time, so permanently snotty, nose. they called me snotty etc.. ) only way i found to make them stop hasassing me was A: a nice prickly bush that is hard to get out of when thrown in, B: a shot to the kidneys with a high-speed two finger poke. ( a fist will suffice, this just hurts them mmore if your fingers are hard enough XD )

Wolverine18:

What we seem to have here is a cross dressing boy who wasn't smart enough to talk down agressors, tone down his dress, or simply have friends. He must have demonstrated lack of confidence or they wouldn't have picked on him for any length of time. Through the absense of the father in the story, he was probably without a father and thus didn't know how to handle himself as a man in that situation.

Wow.

What the hell is that garbage?

Do you really think a young boy who crossdresses is going to be able to talk down bigot aggressive bullies 6v1? He's already hit the jackpot for things people will pick on him for.

These kids surrounded him and threatened to beat the shit out of him. The stun gun was too far, but the school is obviously not doing its job (surprise surprise).

Jesus christ, she thought giving him a weapon was a more appropriate response than, I don't know, sending him to a different school?

Edit: Also, this is why school uniforms should be compulsory.

Hard lessons about life were learned here. Every action you do has consequences, both good and bad.

Sure the kid could bring a weapon to school, but it is unwise to do so. Also, against the rules in most places. The moment he started to use it, however, he should have been prepared to deal with all the consequences.

The bullies also learned something too. If they keep pushing a kid, then he will snap one day and do something to actually hurt them.

If the kid gets expelled, yeah it is unfair and tragic, but also life.

so, the lesson we learned today is, dont use weapons. get a group of your friends and beat them up, quiet like, so that your grand school doesnt have to deal with media backlash.

yep. prepare thy children for life full of sh!t and corruption. thats what schools are for.

you can NEVER expect someone to just lie down and "take the beating for the good of the school reputation" given the chance, you WILL defend yourself. thats human nature. bah, thats nature of pretty much every living being.

here you have one guy who is too weak to fight with his fists (no sh!t 1 v n?), against (probably) more muscled bully? i mean, they BOTH have weapons......

i was bullied at school. good thing i had a lot of friends who would support me, and i was pretty big myself(mostly fat, but it still counts) i had to smack some of them to give me rest.

dont start with bullshit "oh, but you can talk about it". no, you can not.

fyi, in my case they ended in juvenile prison. police had to get involved before ANYTHING happened. before that? "boys will be boys". oh yeah, even afterwards school made it clear to me and a couple of my friends that "they are not happy that we decided to use outside channels to solve that matter".

Eh, the mother should be the one getting punished in all of this. What a fucking idiot who did far more harm than good.

That's fair. You bring a weapon to school, whatever the circumstances, you should get into trouble.

I really want to be on the kid side. You don't truly realize how blind rules and law are until you pull something like this. He will be expelled for doing something this law wasn't originally intended for, at least not exactly.

If he doesn't no one will fuck with him again though. That would be nice.

Having been bullied when I was younger, I truly feel sorry for the kid but bringing a flipping WEAPON into a school is not the solution. Stun guns don't give a little shock, they put someone on the ground for a minute or more and risk serious injury or even death just like tasers. That's not something that should ever be held by a student in a school and heck, even taking the kid out of the school would have been a better solution.

*Reads OP*
Huh, interesting point!
*Reads Daystar*
Oh Daystar, you so crazy!
*Scrolls down some more*
Oh boy, it's an argument on weapons once more.

I personally think he and all his bullies should be expelled. He can go to another school and be a hero, and the bullies can get what was coming to them.

I remember when the zero policy came into effect at my middle school years ago. If someone was in a fight and they defended themselves, they'd be expelled as those beating the kid. Someone asked the administration what that kid should do and the admins merely said 'They should yell' then they quickly changed the subject to school picture day. Others tried to ask the question and the school kept saying "We already answered that."

As someone who has been bullied, I feel empathy for that kid. The school should have stood up for the student instead of saying 'hey conform to heteronormative style of dress and behavior". Maybe the kid happened to be transgendered, should they be at fault for dressing how they feel?

Why is there no talk what will happen to that students' bullies?

Maybe I am horribly cynical but I wouldn't shed a single tear if one of those bullies got tazed to death... Not saying one should bring a gun to school and shoot people who bullied them. I'm saying if someone ends up in a fight, then the aggressors should face the chance of being wounded or more by defensive means.

Daystar Clarion:
It's all fun and games until someone gets shocked into cardiac arrest.

Back in my day, when we had to deal with bullies, we performed a musical number that showed the bullies why they wrong to do such nasty things. They would then join in with our song, proclaiming their lives changed.

The more you know.

you mean like this?

Wolverine18:

I don't know what kind of idealism you were brought up on but your logic is straight out of a Disney movie. "Talking down your aggressors" pretty much never works, and that goes triple if the people in question are homophobic/racist bigots. Then there's "Tone down his dress;" sure, let's tell the kid it's not okay to be who he wants to be and instead make him hide so people won't bully him.

If you're fearing for your own life, it isn't even slightly cowardly to pull a weapon out in self-defense. To be honest, you sound like someone who was fortunate enough to grow up in a very sheltered environment, and I'm damn certain that you've never been the victim of any serious persecution.

Why is everyone talking about the kid doing what he's told and not the mother giving him the stun-gun in the first place?...

senordesol:

An Indiana mother who sent her gay son to school with a stun gun after administrators apparently didn't do enough to stop the bullying against him said she would do it again -- even though the teen now faces expulsion.

"I do not promote violence -- not at all -- but what is a parent to do when she has done everything that she felt she was supposed to do ... at the school?" the mother, Chelisa Grimes, told CNN's Don Lemon on Sunday. "I did feel like there was nothing else left for me to do, but protect my child."...

...After six other students surrounded him at school on April 16, calling him names and threatening to beat him up, Young pulled the stun gun from his backpack. He raised it in the air, setting off an electric charge, and sending the group scurrying, Young said.

Unlike a Taser, which fire barbs attached to long wires at a target, a stun gun has to be near or pressed against a person to shock them.

It's hard for me to feel anything but sympathy for this kid. It's truly heartbreaking when you seek protection through 'proper channels', but are forced to take matters into your own hands.

I'm forced to ask, given the same situation: would you?

P.S. To be clear, no one got hurt in the incident.

Bring a Stun Gun? No. I was a bully when I was younger, if picked on I would punch people in the face. Never expelled for that though. I miss the old days where kids had to stand up for themselves instead of hiding behind a damn "StunGun" or some parent official.

Yes I am evil, get over it.

Wolverine18:
You call THE POLICE. It's their job. The school can deal with small stuff, but threatening a physical attack is a crime.

There is also self defense training, deescaelation training, walking with friends, standing down bullies (most will back off if pushed), switching schools, and MANY other solutions.

In addition to the kid being charged in this case, I'm rather disappointed the mother wasn't charged as well. At the very least child services needs to review her custody, she doesn't appear to be a fit parent. I wonder where the dad is in all this, oh wait, I can probably guess.

I dealt with bullies as kids, a stun gun is not the answer. There are plenty of answers, that isn't one of them.

Wolverine18:

You're a terrible person for thinking any of that actually works.

I'm sorry for being so judgmental but you either grew up in Heaven or you were home-schooled.

And grabbing a weapon is a cowardly response? Wow.

I find it so funny that in a number of threads I have been apart of on this site have been about how guns, when Americans think it is ok to use one and that they would kill anybody who threatens them or intrudes in there house.

Yet plain as day I can pick out every American person in this thread 'cos they all say basically this "She was dumb to give the kid a weapon, though for self defense purposes weapons are great, especially guns. BUT NOT AT SCHOOLS, what I mean is, a weapon is acceptable in life or death scenarios, this guy was not in one of those scenarios.

The school may not have done its job, but the parent pretty much caused mutiny. Weapons are not allowed in schools, period.

She should have taught him martial arts, much more legal."

I just find it so back-ass-wards that adults can use lethal force to protect themselves but a kid can't use a stun gun to threaten his attackers? Come on, say an adult was surrounded by 6 men and he killed 2 and injured a third ... how many Americans would say "he was wrong to shoot at any of them?".

It's nice to be consistent sometimes ...

Saulkar:
People can spout all the legal/moral/ethical/empirically logical fucking bullshit they want but that is because they have never been in a situation where THEY FEARED/FOUGHT FOR THEIR LIFE. I have had multiple attempts on my life by youth street gangs be it with knives, knuckle dusters, or hammers.

The system (school, cops) did nothing for months until a cop stopped a knife from gutting me (actually had his gun out, safety off). I had a lead pipe in my hand and I was ready to kill, you do not think in those situations, you do. I know what I am talking about, until you are put into a situation where you fear for your life, how well do you know how you will react?

You could argue this kid hand hindsight and he made the choice to take the weapon or not but until you have been in a situation where you believe that you may one day never come home after God knows how much abuse, how well do you know what you would do?

As told from the survivor of multiple murder attempts as a thirteen year old.

Sorry, this is the internet so I don't believe a word of that.

Anyways, even if you did supposedly get threatened and "almost murdered" as a 13 y/o, this boy was just threatened of being beat up. He needs to man up and stop being a pussy.

See the difference? Beaten compared to Stabbed. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. When I was a kid, we got into fights daily, this wasn't the 80's, this wasn't the 70's this was the late 90's. How can the world completely turn the new generation to being such... such... pussies?

Gah it makes no damn sense.

Too Lazy; Didn't Read -

If being threatened of being knocked down a few times, stand up and act like a damn man. Seriously I have seen 10 year old girls more manly than this child. (Not you Saulkar, the person in the OP).

ElPatron:

Wolverine18:

Wolverine18:

You're a terrible person for thinking any of that actually works.

I'm sorry for being so judgmental but you either grew up in Heaven or you were home-schooled.

And grabbing a weapon is a cowardly response? Wow.

OH IT IS! Seriously, if you were threatened of being "beat up" grow some balls and fight back! Good lord, it wasn't this hard back in '99 and now people cry if pushed even a little. All of Wolverine's ideas should work just fine. I still stand by my theory of "Stop being a little pussy and fight back... you little pussy."

Terminate421:
She was dumb to give the kid a weapon, though for self defense purposes weapons are great, especially guns. BUT NOT AT SCHOOLS, what I mean is, a weapon is acceptable in life or death scenarios, this guy was not in one of those scenarios.

The school may not have done its job, but the parent pretty much caused mutiny. Weapons are not allowed in schools, period.

She should have taught him martial arts, much more legal.

Martial Arts is highly restricted to the users physical abilities. He might not have the physicality, or even the time needed (it takes years to become adept at a certain style). I learned karate but not because of bullying problems. It was more as a prevention for any bullying that might occur later on.

OT: He was in trouble and it was clear nobody would help, they tried to appeal to the school and they didn't care. We have seen plenty incidents of bullying either resulting in killing it's victims, or in the victims killing themselves.
To me, a stun gun makes all the sense in the world since it is purely a tool for personal defence. As the poster stated, this is not a taser and it cannot be used on someone even just a few feet away. If the bullies leave him alone then they wont be shocked, simple as.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

omega 616:
I find it so funny that in a number of threads I have been apart of on this site have been about how guns, when Americans think it is ok to use one and that they would kill anybody who threatens them or intrudes in there house.

I am okay with that and I am European. I have friends who used firearms to save their lives and were treated like criminals by the police even though the actual intruders were unscratched.

omega 616:
Yet plain as day I can pick out every American person in this thread 'cos they all say basically this "She was dumb to give the kid a weapon, though for self defense purposes weapons are great, especially guns. BUT NOT AT SCHOOLS, what I mean is, a weapon is acceptable in life or death scenarios, this guy was not in one of those scenarios.

I defend concealed carry in schools by properly trained teachers. But kids can't have guns, because they are under 18.

Concealed carry on universities? It's already happening.

omega 616:
I just find it so back-ass-wards that adults can use lethal force to protect themselves but a kid can't use a stun gun to threaten his attackers? Come on, say an adult was surrounded by 6 men and he killed 2 and injured a third ... how many Americans would say "he was wrong to shoot at any of them?".

It's nice to be consistent sometimes ...

You know what happens when kids think like that? They buy an airsoft pistol, spray paint it black (or buy one without a orange tip, but those are usually GBBs and they are expensive), threaten the bully, then a cop sees a kid pointing a gun at other kids.

Guess what happens? The kid is filled with bullet holes and airsofters might face restrictions because of a stupid kid.

Him using a stun gun might have had a negative impact on the legality of stun guns.

Plus, if the situation does not require you to kill someone, you don't use weapons. Therefore, using a less-than-lethal weapon is a retarded idea anyway - it makes you look like you just want to cause pain and not defend yourself. Specially if the shock actually causes a cardiac arrest and you are charged with murder because of the implications of "malicious intent".

Daystar Clarion:
It's all fun and games until someone gets shocked into cardiac arrest.

Back in my day, when we had to deal with bullies, we performed a musical number that showed the bullies why they wrong to do such nasty things. They would then join in with our song, proclaiming their lives changed.

The more you know.

Well, back in my day, we didn't have musical numbers, so we had to make do with a comic chase scene in black and white to amusing live piano music.

Capitano Segnaposto:
OH IT IS! Seriously, if you were threatened of being "beat up" grow some balls and fight back!

He said it in a general way, so I assume it applies to everything.

Excuse me for being a coward, but if you threaten my life or my family by entering my house, you bet I'll reach for a weapon.

Police officers must be complete cowards because they carry service weapons all the time.

Capitano Segnaposto:
Good lord, it wasn't this hard back in '99 and now people cry if pushed even a little. All of Wolverine's ideas should work just fine. I still stand by my theory of "Stop being a little pussy and fight back... you little pussy."

No they don't.

Read his posts again. He was suggesting that a "cross dressing" kid should tone down his "dresses".

No. That isn't an option. Talking? Not an option.

I do remember 1999. Schools were (and still are) filled with confrontational kids that don't give a shit about school so that parents can get my taxpayer's money for doing nothing.

Those kids also have big families and lots of friends who will wait for you after school with weapons. I am not fucking kidding.

He should be expelled and so should the kids who ganged up on him, he brought a weapon and they almost brutally beat him both parties are wrong so everyone involved should be expelled and the schools handling of bullying looked over.

Capitano Segnaposto:
snip

Oh look, somebody who has clearly never dealt with bullies. A friend of mine stood up to bullies once. When he left the school the next day they were waiting for him in the car park and smashed his face through somebodies wing mirror, breaking his nose, and then proceeded to beat on him for a while. Teachers, rather than helping, confiscated the phones of anybody who tried to call the police so they wouldn't have a scandal. This guy wasn't some "pussy" he was a practiced brawler and one of the strongest people I knew. Bullies don't fight fair. If you try to fight them fairly, you will get hurt or worse.

ElPatron:
Plus, if the situation does not require you to kill someone, you don't use weapons. Therefore, using a less-than-lethal weapon is a retarded idea anyway - it makes you look like you just want to cause pain and not defend yourself. Specially if the shock actually causes a cardiac arrest and you are charged with murder because of the implications of "malicious intent".

Again, this just makes me laugh "only use lethal weapons ... don't use ones non lethal ones, even though they could still kill".

Make up your mind!

This whole thread is a joke to me, only use weapons to kill people and only if you are an adult otherwise your fucked! You can't scare people and you definitely can't do anything if you are under 18!

If you are under 18 just let the shit be kicked out of you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked