9.4% (31)
9.4% (31)
Other (Please say below)
15.5% (51)
15.5% (51)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: EEEEK a power cut!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Yeah, I'm off the grid, with 100 percent of my power coming from solar energy, so I can weather power outages just fine. I won't have Internet, but I'll still have my other electronic distractions.

But since I'm asked to play along, I'll do that and say catch up on my sleep.

I write or draw. I always keep a supply of pens, pencils and paper handy.

There's a power cut and it's nice out? Time to call up the friends, make a mass trip to the supermarket to stock up on unhealthy things and Mountain Dew, and then back to one of our respective homes to play D&D until the power comes back on or until tomorrow rolls around.

What do you mean power is out on handhelds? Even if my laptop, Ds, mom's DS, and GBA SP all died the GBA and original Gameboy run off batteries. I even have a light for them so I can play in the dark. Or if you don't allow that I'd go over a friends and steal their power.

Monopoly! power is out? hate your family!

Fap till i bleed or the power turns back on.

Uhm.. write, mostly. Or walk/cycle, listen to music. Something I can do while daydreaming.

During the last blackout I was sitting at my computer. When I realised that wouldn't work without electricity I went to the living room to watch some TV instead.
Surprised that it didn't work either I decided to go to bed and read. As I tried to switch on the lamp by the side of the bed it occured to me that it was also driven on electricity.
After that I just sat and waited for the power to come back on.

It was my most "American" moment ever.

I require electricity for most of my instruments, but at least one of my guitars is acoustic, and I guess I could hit my drums even if they don't make a sound, so there's always that.

Other, Go for a walk with my friends, and chill outside for a while. Not that it's ever REALLY sunny here.... -_-

Depends on how long the power is out and why it's out. If it was a simple blown fuse I'll be back to whatever it was I was doing before within minutes. If a power line got screwed up I'm sure I'll find something to do in the meantime.

Having a Kindle, I read a book, but it's electronic.

If, in the four weeks it takes my Kindle to drain of power, the power isn't back on, I'll look into either moving or the hanging option.

Usually I go play a board game with friends or read a book.

I lived in a country in which the power cuts frequently happen during my childhood, I did all sorts of shit during that time, the one most prominent was actually me with a small handheld that played tetris and we would mess around since we ouldn;t see ANYTHING, until the game over tune played. I laughed with my siblings for hours til we sweated or the power came back. Ahh... Good times...

Watch cartoons on my laptop, batteries for the win bitches!

on a sunny, i'll most likely hit my fav spot in town (i took it that this was meant with getting drunk :p ) - nice people, good food, reasonably priced beverages

Break out the hoard of board games!
Fleet Captains should amuse me for a few hours, or alternatively, Merchants and Marauders.

See, the great thing about books is that they are portable. I can read OUTSIDE.
This is a great thing about board games as well. Playing Catan outside is delightful!

Choosing an activity really does have to do with how many people are around and what percentage of them I like or can read yet.
At school, sun comes so irregularly that we don't need a power outage to lure each and every one of us outside for a spontaneous bout of flower-crown making and nerdy hedonism.
At home, I have approximately two friends over the age of 6 and under the age of 50, so I'm probably just going to read by myself.

In either case, I will be forced to take on the immense responsibility of consuming all remaining ice cream. For the common good, of course.

Go for a walk or draw something, probaly

I'd say read a book... But I listen to Audio Books and don't keep them on my PSP unless I know I'm going out. =<

Now that you remind me my computer is not invulnerable perhaps I'll take this as a warning and do that now just in case so I can "read" books with everyone else if the unthinkable should happen.

Is there no mention of the power cut generation? There was a large power cut in the United States, and 9 months later there was a surge in birth rates.

Take my spouse to bed, but...do other things than sleep?

Wander around until the power comes back on. Last year when the hurricane hit we were out of power for a good 3 or 4 days. It was SO boring. I spent most of the time being irritable and bored.

I fight read a book in the shade, because I hate sunny days.

But really, I have a small hand-powered generator that I can charge my handheld electronics with, so I either continue to use my cell phone or whip out the DS.

How do you read a book or play board games in the dark?

Yeah, candle light isn't exactly a good lighting source for reading purposes. I don't see the point in straining my eyes.

Oh, yeah, most times a power cut happens during the night where I live. Power cuts during the day normally don't last longer than 5 minutes.

Bust out a book and catch up on some much needed reading.

If it gets too dark I can just use candles, I have loads and loads of them so I'm good for the night.

When there is a power outage I usually play my PSP or DS, sometimes I watch a movie on my laptop or listen to music on my iPod touch.

lRookiel:
Ok so say your power has gone out during the middle of the day, it's warm and sunny outside. The power on your handhelds/laptops have ran out as well so no taking the easy way out.

What do you do if you haven't got access to your electronic devices?

I would read a book in my room, screw going outside!

like that would stop me!

http://greenopolis.com/goblog/derekmarkham/7-great-pedal-power-plans
http://scienceshareware.com/bike-generator-using-a-car-alternator.htm

ingenuity FTW!

I've been through this before (remember that blackout that knocked out seven states and part of Canada? Been through that and one that knocked out a large part of New York for eight days), so I speak from experience. What I've done was:
- go to my cousin's and spent the day in their huge yard and eating stuff that was going to go bad.
- read
- play a handheld
- complain to neighbors about how much ConEd (the power company) sucks
- go to where the whole blackout mess started (this only happened because that eight day blackout I mentioned earlier started not even a block from where I lived. Was interesting to see cables catching fire and seeing ConEd workers sit around a hole in the ground with the only working lights around doing jack nothing.)
- try to stay cool (temp wise)

The boyfriend recommends going for a walk and biking, but I don't recommend this since blackouts tend to happen in the summer during heat waves.

Chances are if I cant access my electronic stuff its not because of a power cut (never experienced that in 5 years of living here) but rather because a massive storm is going on out side, with clashing thunder that shakes the walls and what not. Brought to you by climate change.

So yeah, going outside isnt really an option, unless you want to be beaten brutally to the ground by rain drops the size of cars. So books it is.

Go traipsing around Coyote Hollow. Maybe go to the abandoned campsite that I'm positive has a gremlin infestation, or hike over to Hobo Meadow to see if he's tried to rebuild his shack/will attempt to hit me with a stick. Then I can climb the hill to the nearly-abandoned 7-11 and try to get a slushie before that blasted slush machine finally kicks it. If I can, then the power must be back on, so I go home, either through the Spider Thicket or just chicken out and take the forest pathway.

I like living in suburbs beside a ravine and forest.

Be annoyed.

I spend the first seconds thinking, powers out, ah well no pc-gaming guess I'll just chat with some friends on msn/skype...waaaait....fuck, guess I'll catch a movie...waaaaaait...fuck, guess I'll just play some PS3...waaaaait....ffs! Just watch regular tv? AAAAAAAAAAARG WHY IS THERE NO POWER I DONT LIVE IN THE JUNGLE!!!!!

Then I probably read something, or call someone to see if the power outage has been announced.

rhizhim:

lRookiel:
Ok so say your power has gone out during the middle of the day, it's warm and sunny outside. The power on your handhelds/laptops have ran out as well so no taking the easy way out.

What do you do if you haven't got access to your electronic devices?

I would read a book in my room, screw going outside!

like that would stop me!

http://greenopolis.com/goblog/derekmarkham/7-great-pedal-power-plans
http://scienceshareware.com/bike-generator-using-a-car-alternator.htm

ingenuity FTW!

Oh my fucking god. Its like a doomsday bunker for geeks. I want one :S

EeveeElectro:
I've had about 4 or five power cuts in the last 8 months so... yeah, I know how to amuse myself.
It's usually in the evening when it's darker, so we just lit some candles and had a chat.
If it was during a sunny day, I'd go for a walk on the canal and feed the ducks.

I didn't think infrastructure was that bad up North.

/prejudice

There is no Real Life. There is only AFK.

I may hang myself.

Or go out and find a girlfriend. Whatever.

If it happens in the middle of the day I sometimes read books or plays some chess. If it happens quite late I usually just goes to sleep.

Probably get out my longbow and archery set and have a go for about half an hour to an hour. Any excuse to get that out is always fine with me. :D

If the power's out for longer then that and it really is a good day, then I might take a book outside and spend my time reading it with our animals...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked