Whats your stance on drug use?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Drugs? Well...I don't believe drugs are bad. I don't believe they ever were. Drugs do...what they're supposed to do. If you are too preoccupied to learn what a drug does and has the potential to do in this age of the internet...then you deserve what happens to you. Some drugs are Ok, some drugs aren't - you just have to figure out which is which. End of story.

I dont care if people use drugs. They should just not use them where I have to deal with them!

(I work security and it annoys me when I have to do a report when I bust someone with drugs)

Not a fan of tabaco, but it's your right. Please just be considerate about it, not everyone likes the smell. I think smokers get targetted unfairly and villanized. From what I can tell most smokers already feel pretty bad about not being able to quit.

Alcohol is fine. Iffy over what's the appropriate age. Just, don't try to drive.

The enforcement and propagandic lie campaigns against pot is costing not only the government, but also communitys greatly. Statistics show (and our legal system doesn't help this) that people who spend time in prison between the ages of 18 and 25 are incredibly more likely to spend the rest of their lives in and out of prison.

I'm skeptical of more elicit drugs becuase they destroy people, and they end up homeless, crazy, and most-likely criminals.

I'm curious about what people will say about taking perscription drugs recreationally. A lot of them won't do harm if you don't drink or take too many, because after all they're ment for regular use. A lot of them are addictive though.

My basic thinking about is: If you're a consenting adult and it won't effect anyone other than consenting adults, then it's fine.

Don't use any myself. Nor will I. Don't have anything against those using them, except those who harm others due to their use - like Meth users, for instance, who rob people to fund their addiction.

I've never had an alcoholic drink, nor will I ever have one. My teetotalism isn't due to religion - it's just due to the fact that I don't like what alcohol does to the human mind and to the brain. But that's my choice. It's not the choice of others, nor will I force that choice on them. I am absolutely against prohibition - almost as much as I am against drinking itself.

I know too many good, nice, hardworking people who enjoy a beer or two to write off anyone who uses alcohol. Many of my colleagues drink alcohol. My parents used to drink alcohol. I have nothing against anyone who drinks within reason and who doesn't drink and drive.

But I'm not joining them in their good times. I will always remain sober. No recreational drugs, no alcohol, no smoking. That's just my choice but I'll stick with it.

People should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies. And, as a sort of related side-note, I think people should be able to risk their own lives however much they want in basic scenarios. Fuckin' seat belts and bike helmets.

I'm all for making the debilitating and very dangerous drugs (pretty much all of them except weed) illegal to own or use. People are morons, and I firmly believe that the government should makes laws to help stop people from being morons.

As for marijuana, I'm indifferent on legalization. Personally, I'm against using it (along with all the other drugs) because it basically makes you temporarily stupid and detached from reality. I'm not okay with that. I'm not sure if I'd go as far as saying I'm afraid of fogging my mental capacities, but it's still something I want to avoid whenever I can. I like my brain and I like to think about things rationally. Losing that ability, even temporarily, has no benefits to me. I'm also heavily against the idea that smoking weed is cool. It's not. It's not going to make you a "druggie loser" or whatever, but don't fool yourself into thinking it makes you cool, please.

Anyway, it's not an especially harmful substance, and from what I hear it makes a decent painkiller, so eh. No matter what happens, it will always be heavily regulated, so potheads, please hold your fanfare if it gets "legalized." I do like the recent legislation in New York that only gives you a fine for possession of a small amount rather than jail time. THAT is a good idea.

I'm not ever going to touch them, but at the very least drugs less harmful than Alchohol and Smoking are fine.
From there restrictions should be loosened a bit for research into the drugs, and possible medicinal use of them in the right circumstances. Quote from David Nutt [Neuropsychopharmacology professor at Imperial College London, headed UK Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs technical committee for 7 years]:

I can show you 150 papers telling you how the brain reacts to angry faces, but I can't show you a single paper that tells you what cannabis does

I think people should be able to do whatever they want provided it doesn't affect other peoples lives negatively.

Certain ultra-addictive drugs should be fought because thats always going to lead to crime but cannabis and the like should be legalized immediately..hell, Alcohol is causing far, far, FAR more damage to society than any other illegal drugs..maybe even all of them combined if you excuse the amount of amount of money our governments are spending to put small time weed-smokers behind bars. Its just a really stupid situation but im proud that our generation seems to be more open-minded and hopefully once all the stupid old people in charge at the moment die out we will have a better world.

If you lock yourself in your basement and do them, go ahead. If you do them on the street and hurt someone/something you should be punished.

I'd never do them because I care for my body and mind.

I pro Cannabis, Alcohol (beer and wine), Coffee and magic mushrooms.

I am against booze over 40%, most hard drugs and tobacco (even though I smoke 20 a day myself).

In a perfect world people would enjoy lightly alcoholic (4.5% - 15%) and Cannabis in moderation.
Sadly that won't be happening anytime soon.

TehCookie:
If you lock yourself in your basement and do them, go ahead. If you do them on the street and hurt someone/something you should be punished.

I'd never do them because I care for my body and mind.

But I like to smoke my pot out in the wilderness :(

Most of the stoner culture irritates the hell out of me. (Most meaning all). This is unfair, but I pretty quickly assume anyone who uses drugs is socially maladjusted and immature. Obviously alcohol is the exception because it is so ubiquitous in our culture. Tobacco may only be smoked from a pipe, or it inspires a completely different set of prejudices from me. Today my 17 year old sister told one of those stupid pot stories (you know, the kind that always start with "I got sooo high last night that...") and it was all I could do not to put my fucking face through a wall, but I'm getting off topic.

Alcohol? Perfectly acceptable.
Tobacco? Fine I guess, but it's awfully smelly to say the least.
Cannabis? Whatever, just don't try and force me to have some.
Any other drugs? Get away from me.

irmasterlol:
Most of the stoner culture irritates the hell out of me. (Most meaning all). This is unfair, but I pretty quickly assume anyone who uses drugs is socially maladjusted and immature. Obviously alcohol is the exception because it is so ubiquitous in our culture. Tobacco may only be smoked from a pipe, or it inspires a completely different set of prejudices from me. Today my 17 year old sister told one of those stupid pot stories (you know, the kind that always start with "I got sooo high last night that...") and it was all I could do not to put my fucking face through a wall, but I'm getting off topic.

That is because those of us that are socially adjusted and mature tend to keep out illegal habits to ourselves, or at least to a close circle of fellow minded friends.
Don't want to get in trouble with the police or be stigmatized in our local community.

Your 17 year old sister is not a stereotypical stoner, just a stereotypical 17year old :)

Honestly, I don't give a hoot as long as they don't use it to hurt other people. And I also think that they should not be illegal, but sold like cigarettes and alcohol are, so that way the "drug trade" and shit would be pretty much useless except for maybe getting cheaper things. Hey, another plus side is more revenue for the government and the economy, and partially getting things out of the hands of criminals.

fenrizz:

irmasterlol:

That is because those of us that are socially adjusted and mature tend to keep out illegal habits to ourselves, or at least to a close circle of fellow minded friends.
Don't want to get in trouble with the police or be stigmatized in our local community.

Your 17 year old sister is not a stereotypical stoner, just a stereotypical 17year old :)

I'm still convinced the well-adjusted and mature ones don't exist. I can't figure out why, but I get a gut reaction that my method of escapist time-wasting is somehow superior to chemically aided escapist time-wasting.

You know how you go to that Asari trade world in Mass Effect 2 and it turns out everything is completly legal, basically? From slaves to even the most dangerous drugs?

Yeah, drug law should be like that. The part where if it's an especially dangerous drug it has a 10 page contract and very clear warning on the packet explaining that it is, in fact, quite hazardous and will potentially kill you.

Seriously, I don't see the problem with just unlocking it all and monatising it. It seems like the most effective way of simualtaniously removing criminality (thus letting addicts be helped medically, not punished criminally) and saftey issues from substance use (in that it'll be an "un-cut" product) and bolstering the economy (with the money not being made by criminals but legitimate businesses).

irmasterlol:

I would disagree with you, good sir. Most stoners I meet are gentle, relaxed souls who contemplate the world around them.

Met one in my philosophy class (only one) and he's genuinely a thoughtful individual who just enjoys a good sensory experience and it happens to be marijuana... sometimes more powerful hallucinogens, but I digress.

I haven't met anyone I hate who uses marijuana.

People can make their own decisions. The consequences are their fault though.

I wouldn't use drugs (alcohol being exempt), but if you want to kill yourself, sure, go ahead, the only thing I'd ban is a drug that harms others, not as in you snort cocaine then crash a bus, but as in second-hand smoke, if you take a bit of ecstasy a few feet away from me, I'm not getting lung cancer, if you smoke, I am, it's like going around waving uranium about on a stick.

revjor:
I eat carrots to get vitamin a so I can see in the dark.

That's a myth.

OT: People seem to be forgetting that if I overdose on say, Heroin, and get rushed to a hospital, I am taking resources away from people who need help for more legitimate reasons, such as stabbings.

P.S. I hate smoking more than anything else in the world.

i personally think that it's okay to smoke cannabis and drink alcohol if you think that's a drug.

i don't mind tobacco but i personally don't want to run the risk of getting lung cancer but i like the smell of the smoke and my opinions on cigars are the same.

but i don't think anyone should take the 'harder' drugs like heroin and cocaine.

I like tea. I take my Earl Grey hot, and with a little milk. Alcohol is better than tea when cleaning electronic circuit boards, though.

Where I live, tobacco is going out of fashion. 20 years ago smoking was ubiquitous, but today it is a stigma. Smoking is for the weak, the uneducated and the vulgar.

Alcohol is another story. "Normal" society is so steeped in alcohol that many people don't even see the damage that alcohol does. Many posters here say that anything goes as long as you don't hurt anyone else, but that's just it - the risk of hurting someone increases when you drink. Your ability to make rational decisions suffers, because isn't that why we drink in the first place? To relax, to let go of our inhibitions? Inhibitions is what makes us function as responsible adults. You don't have to drink a lot to neglect your child, to have unwise sex, to get in a fight, to gamble too much money, to damage your friendships, to take unnecessary risks, to... the list goes on.

Making alcohol illegal is too late. Laws can't work without popular support, and alcohol is very popular. I still believe alcohol will go the way of tobacco.

irmasterlol:

fenrizz:

irmasterlol:

I'm still convinced the well-adjusted and mature ones don't exist. I can't figure out why, but I get a gut reaction that my method of escapist time-wasting is somehow superior to chemically aided escapist time-wasting.

Perhaps so.
It's not like we all go around in a constant haze, though some do.
Most of us smoke a little once in a while and I assure you that most of us are quite well adjusted and mature.

I think maybe your problem is that you have only experienced teenage stoners?
Either way, we're not all bad people.

I personally never really seen the appeal of drugs (with the exception of alcohol - I drink occasionally in moderation). I've always felt like there are much better ways to have fun.

Having said that, I've not really had a huge exposure to drugs growing up where I have - there were a couple of regular drug users at my old school, but they made such a mess of their lives that they managed to single-handedly convince our entire student body that drugs were massively lame, and only losers did them - bizarrely they were far more effective than any number of drug awareness lessons.

Supertegwyn:
OT: People seem to be forgetting that if I overdose on say, Heroin, and get rushed to a hospital, I am taking resources away from people who need help for more legitimate reasons, such as stabbings.

No, not everyone forgets, it's just that you will also be taking up resources if you say...go swimming in the sea and end up in trouble, go climbing in the wilderness and fall or get lost, go downhill mountain biking and end up crashing into a tree or any other potentially risky activity that we do for enjoyment. If we're willing to help someone who has hurt themselves doing something like that, I see no reason why there should be any extra issues regarding at least the immediate health effects of drug use on an individual. Maybe the long term health effects of continued use could require some contribution, but then that's part of the reason I feel legalisation and regulation, taxation of the product in question allows for the offset of costs down the line.

Marijuana I have absolutely no problem with, since I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of human civilisation has ever savagely assaulted someone because they smoked too much weed. It's impossible to do so because you just can't be bothered.

Alcohol I don't categorise as a drug, even though technically it is, so again I have no problem with it.

The only other drug I know enough about to care about is GHB and I can't say I have much of a problem with that either, as long as you're not using it to date-rape people. That's when I develop an issue with it, though that's more because of the raping than the drug itself.

Beyond that it mostly gets more and more 'iffy' in terms of my approval but that's balanced out by the overwhelming wave of "I don't give a shit" when it comes to harder drugs. I've never done them and don't intend to but if you want to do them on your own time then have it, just deal with the fucking consequences if some shit goes wrong.

Also, do poppers count as 'drugs', per se?

Supertegwyn:

revjor:
I eat carrots to get vitamin a so I can see in the dark.

That's a myth.

P.S. I hate smoking more than anything else in the world.

Fair enough on vitamin a. I was just making a point on the many nutrients people take to try and enhance/bolster themselves without any judgement or derision.

Also if taking up hospital resources is a reason to shun a user then I think there are plenty of activities that could put you in the hospital by accident. You don't have to take a drive in your car, go on a hike on your nearest mountain, go skiing or even walk through a shady neighborhood when you could have taken a cab. But none of those activities will get a stigma of being a burden on society like drugs will even though they are clogging up the same, if not far more of precious hospital beds for stabbed people and ebola victims.

I've been hospitalized once since taking drugs regularly and it was not drug related. Damn near everyone I know sober or not does somethig to burden society needlessly. The vast majority are not drug users.

Personally I'm a bit blinded to the evils of using. My great grandmother lived happy and healthy until 98 smoking cigarettes and drinking copious amounts of wine everyday. I see my grandmother smoke plenty, drink plenty and walk multiple miles a day into her mid 80's... granted they're French and that's how Frenchies do things

well we obviously think medical drugs are all fine. but we should also get off the biased pov that there's really any difference, there just as dangerous and a lot are used recreationally.

Next we need to discern between use and abuse. drug abuse is always a symptom of some deeper pain. sure we can blame the drug and villanise it but it doesn't help anyone.

We also have to accept that by and large are drug laws (Europe and america especially) are based in making people money alcohol and tobacco are not legal because they do no damage they are about the worst drugs you can take in fact. there legal because of the power of the tobacco growers and alcohol distillers. see the ATF

now thats covered of the drugs i have taken this is how i feel about them.

Tobacco - should be illegal, it has no good points people only smoke to alleviate the withdrawal. there's no high or bonus what so ever.

Alcohol- Does immense physical damage and social damage, a culture of abusing this drug is in most western countries and its silly and bad. a depressant that makes you loose physical control and social conscience there really isnt a lot to recommend it. when it isnt abused its ok. but still on a cost benifit analysis i suspect only crack and crystal meth would equal it for damage.

Weed- OK as an occasional drug, doesn't come with any real withdrawal or hangover. quite pleasant effect in the right situation. i think for me at least over use makes doing anything out of the routine a lot harder to get your head around. definitely wont use this drug for long periods of time any more it can be quite debilitating.

Acid/LSD- done occasionally in the right environment with friends and they can be enormous fun. but set aside a few days and do it properly. bad trips are not fun. did it about half a dozen times in my late teens and early twenties and had an awesome time every go.

E / MDMA 0 oh boy! now were dealing with the good shit! this stuff should be legal and what we take on the Friday Saturday nights out instead of alcohol. Best high of any drug (imo) no real hangover or withdrawl not to say 12+ hours of the talking dancing and making sweet love wont leave you a bit tired and sore. and it is tricky to get to sleep after but hey just roll the party over into a duvet and milkshakes party. i fucking love this drug. every time we go out and have to drink that vile toxic poison that's alcohol i lament the stupidity of our drug laws.

Cocaine/Heroin- theoretically these are fine trouble is we live in reality not theory. if you could get a stable supply (you cant) of pure (lol not a chance to get over 50%) and can afford it (best of luck with that!) they actually do nearly no damage. very good options for being legalised , controlled taxed and licensed. personally i wont touch either. EVER! i am a man of little willpower and they are drugs that are seriously good fun i simply cant be trusted around them.

I would say that the low-level drugs such as marijuana ought to be legal, though taxed to all hell. Harder stuff should stay illegal.
As for myself, never used any drug besides alcohol. Very little drug use in my area, so peer pressure is non-existent, and I've just never had the urge.

zumbledum:

Heroin- theoretically these are fine trouble is we live in reality not theory. if you could get a stable supply (you cant) of pure (lol not a chance to get over 50%) and can afford it (best of luck with that!) they actually do nearly no damage. very good options for being legalised , controlled taxed and licensed.

You can do all of that, although fulfilling the conditions to do so, especially now under a Conservative government in recession is hard. Every day (except Sat and Sunday) I go to my local Boots and get 180mg of 100% pure diamorphine and 6 pure water amps. I have a PPC that costs me just over 100 a year that covers the costs for me.

Unfortunately due to political bullshit ("quality assurance") diamorphine is very expensive for the NHS, around 40 a gram, not including the massive additional cost of drug treatment services that go around it. Mainland European governments get it at closer to 8 a gram because they don't have to use specially grown base ingredients and limit dose sizes to 30mg amps.

Broady Brio:
Alcohol? Perfectly acceptable.
Tobacco? Fine I guess, but it's awfully smelly to say the least.
Cannabis? Whatever, just don't try and force me to have some.
Any other drugs? Get away from me.

This. Heroine and Cocaine can get the hell out.

Never tried any though, was offered a cannabis joint once, it had tobacco in so I refused.

I say if it isnt hurting anybody else do what you want but if you are addicted as in can not live without them i advise you seek help.But i still think it is up to them it is there life so they can do what they want with it.

I see some of the lighter ones like Cannabis and Tobacco as acceptable but harder shit like Alchohol should be very very carefully monitored.

Matthew94:
People should be able to do what they want. If they commit crimes then it's their fault, not the drugs. I think they should be regulated heavily though. Many drugs would be a shit-ton safer if people made sure they were pure and not cut with shit.

I don't use drugs. I'm 99% through a bottle of vodka and have had a few cans of cider and that is all I have drank.

This is something I agree completely on. I've got no desire to try anything but alcohol, but I don't see a problem with smoking a joint or doing cocaine. Some are bound to become addicts and suffer from drug use, but as it is people suffer from alcoholism too. Alcohol, nicotine and cocaine are all bad for us, but two of them are legal.

Ultimately I don't care what anybody does with their own body, provided it's in a controlled environment. The second your drug use starts affecting others (i.e. driving under the influence) that's taking it too far.

Though personally, the worst I do is a coke (the drink) every now and then, so however much caffeine is in that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked