Which of the Big 3 Anime is your preferred choice?
Bleach
11.9% (90)
11.9% (90)
Naruto
13.8% (104)
13.8% (104)
One Piece
18.1% (137)
18.1% (137)
WHAT!? *Insert Anime here* Isn't on here!? Bullsh*t I still pick it!
39.1% (295)
39.1% (295)
Not much of an Anime person, now TACOS on the other hand...
13.8% (104)
13.8% (104)
*sigh* I like all 3...
2.9% (22)
2.9% (22)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which of the Big 3 Anime is your favorite?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I watched Bleach for a bit but after the second or third filler season, I lost interest. I would say if you are going to make me choose a "mainstream" anime, I'd have to go with FMA: Brotherhood or Hellsing Ultimate.

I've watched all of bleach, am current on naruto, and stopped watching one piece after about 250. One piece got waaaay too repetitive for me, so much so that I could predict what would happen in an episode based on the first five minutes. So that ones out. Bleach was good until the main arc finished. Then it turned to a pile of wtf. And if you cut out the 100+ episodes of filler in naruto it's actually decent too. But my vote goes to bleach because I enjoyed the main arc a lot more than the other 2.

Well, out of those, I got the furthest into Naruto before giving up. So, I guess it deserves my vote.

TizzytheTormentor:
All those on the list are still ongoing!

No matter how much we'd like them to stop...

And I'm going to go on to say that even DBZ pales in comparison to Gundam. Sure, the recent series only exist to sell toys, but most of the UC stuff is golden(Double Zeta aside...), and the original Mobile Suit Gundam is about as iconic an anime as it gets.

As for the three posted in the OP, the only one I was ever into was Bleach, but the show drowned itself in filler after the Soul Society arc.

Current wishlist for future animation:

1) Rurouni Kenshin Jinchu arc
2) Berserk properly animated beyond the Golden Age arc
3) The Legend of Mother Sarah

I like One Piece the best, though I think Bleach is okay. I don't care for Naruto. This is based on the ones listed though.

I don't care for any of those, personally. I don't have a huge exposure to anime, but I really like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. So that is my vote.

I have seen Naruto and Bleach. Bleach seems better than the first part of Naruto but Naruto Shippuden simply beats Bleach with an ease. Shippuden has one of the best stories to tell, best character development and great deal of emotions.

Bleach is also good but not quite like Naruto.

Naruto Shippuden > Bleach > Naruto Part I

I've been on board with Naruto since the Chunnin exam or a little before. This show has gone from being a kids show to a that really digs deep, and really has you questioning a lot of different aspects of life. That's pretty good for a shounen show. It's really too bad that the filler keeps getting in the way and deluting the purity of this top tier shounen show.

Edit: I'm not a kid/teen. I'm in my mid 30s and I've been watching anime my entire life. I've seen A LOT of shows

Eh, I was about 11-10 years old when Dubbed Anime first came to Australia back in 2001. Out of sheer personal nostalgia I still absolutely adore Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis and Ghost In The Shell and would still happily rewatch them all. Personally, I relate to these because they completely bridged the gap with the Sci-Fi elements that my dad liked with the DBZ anime-ish that I watched already so it just appealed to me so much.

I do think that like everyone else, you're not going to have a proper subjective opinion about Anime. I don't think that I would be able to handle Naruto. I usually stick with the classic 90s also I liked Claymore, Ergo Proxy and Deathnote.

Naruto is the only one I still watch and it ranges from good to bad, based on fillers or canon material.

Bleach isn't airing in Japan anymore and hasn't been any new material for about a year.

I've given up on One Piece. Got as far as the fishman arc and just lost interest.

I only just saw Cowboy Bebop about a week ago, and now that I've seen all of it, I think I can safely say that it is my favorite show of all time. It's just so goddamn cool....

I usually hate anime but.... fuck that show is great.... Haven't seen any of those "Big 3", so I can't really say about them. I've been checking out some other anime in the last few days. Death Note, Hellsing, High School of the Dead, Evangelion, e.t.c. and I just can't get into them.

Silly Hats:
Eh, I was about 11-10 years old when Dubbed Anime first came to Australia back in 2001. Out of sheer personal nostalgia I still absolutely adore Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis and Ghost In The Shell and would still happily rewatch them all. Personally, I relate to these because they completely bridged the gap with the Sci-Fi elements that my dad liked with the DBZ anime-ish that I watched already so it just appealed to me so much.

I do think that like everyone else, you're not going to have a proper subjective opinion about Anime. I don't think that I would be able to handle Naruto. I usually stick with the classic 90s also I liked Claymore, Ergo Proxy and Deathnote.

I'm right there with you. I absolutely love sci-fi. This genre is so rich with content. It can be hard finding the time to watch them all. Any self respecting sci-fi fan has seen gundam 0079. I didn't get the chance to watch it until fairly recently, but it invented the whole mecha genre. Shounen is more of a side dish for me. In the 80s there was Fist of the North Star. Holy fuck is this a great series. This show makes Dragonball look pathetic. Don't forget Armored force Dairugger. The 80s was a great time to be an anime fan.

hazabaza1:
Never really got into One Piece, but I read some Naruto and Bleach.
Stopped reading Naruto around when it did that "everyone is deaaaaaaaaaaaa-NOT REALLY I DON'T WANT TO TAKE ANY RISKS" bullshit.
Also got sick of Bleach's "wwwwuuuh I need to use my secret power to defeat such and such and ooooh no he's got his own secr-whoa look at my new secret power"

oh god...
After the amazing writing in the Pain/Itachi arcs, just to throw everything away with the war arc was just too depressing. I ragequit after Kabuto got killed I couldn't take it anymore EVERY SINGLE VILLAN had three chapters of back story explaining that they weren't really bad guys. I used to laugh at the Orbito=Madara theory because it was too stupid, but it turns out that is actually cannon now. The real Uchiha Madara was hiding under Kanoha the entire time hooked up to some ninja life support thing. He decides to save Orbito for some reason and then Orbito kills him for reasons unknown to me. It really feels like some random idiot got control of the manga after the Pain arc, that or the author went insane.

OT:
Shounen sucks. If you've seen one you've seen them all. Friendship is magic and never give up on your dreams crap. Nothing of real consequence ever happens, boring genre.

I don't like any of these. They're too much money spinning and not enough content. I got bored of skipping filler in the few episodes I watched to get to the five minutes of new stuff. It's the same with most Shonen Jump stuff, goes on too long to really care about what's happening. Trigun or Berserk are much much better.

Then again, It's been a while since I was a teenager.

Dansen:
Snipped

Thanks a bunch for not using spoiler tags _

One Piece by far my favourite of the three these days. I'm a sucker for these kind of action based stories but One Piece just feels far more consistent in tone and quality. Bleach got worse and worse after the Soul Society arc and the "big fight" was ultimately very disappointing in the anime. Naruto I still like but I feel like the battles have been getting less and less interesting, particularly at the moment where most fights last an episode or two and there's no build up or its just jammed in like "Oh yes this ninja was a legendary blah blah" and it feels really hard to regard them as a proper threat since they only just got introduced this late on whereas all the decent villains got plenty of screen time to make me care when the battles actually took place.

One Piece on the other hand has a huge world with loads of stuff to look forward to in the future because there is always plenty of foreshadowing and character building prior to the fights. I'm genuinely psyched because I know Akainu, Kizaru, Blackbeard, Big Mom, Don Flamingo, Hawkeyes and a whole host of others are still out there waiting to be fought. Is it cheesy? Hell yes it is. Is it also very fun? Damn right. Besides, Luffy's character is far more consistent in terms of his comedy and his serious moments than either Naruto or Ichigo because he is basically a child in mind. Also all the main characters in One Piece are both comic and serious in equal measure but Naruto goes for the serious so much that when it tries to be funny it feels really stupid and Bleach has those dedicated "comic" characters like Dondochaka who immediately spoil the tension of a scene because the moment they arrive you know nothing of consequence will happen and you just wait desperately for them to piss off.

Gatx:
Also screw DBZ, it's good but it doesn't hold up. It sets down the formula for modern shonen battle mangas for sure such as the various stages of powered up forms, but because of that newer ones will always be better because they added stuff like character development and overarching plots to that formula.

I don't even watch anime that often. I've moved on to American comics and animation, but the elitism against Dragon Ball needs to be addressed.

1. DBZ did have character development. And if we count Part 1 then there was a lot of character development. A lot of the cast started out as antagonist and ended the series as heroes.

2. To be fair, Part 1 did have overarching story lines like the Piccolo Saga and the Red Ribbon Army Sagas.

3. DBZ is pretty bad, but Part 1 was good. It had a solid story, the main character had a solid goal, better fights, better animation at certain points, no 5 episode powering up and trash talk, twists (like Goku killing his own grandfather) and Tao Pai Pai's school (coming back to kill Goku for killing Tao), every major character developed and even many of the secondary characters like Oolong, the characters fought more with skill and even later in the series weaker characters could still be useful. The series was mainly made for teenage boys, but a show doesn't have to be dark and depressing to be mature.

4. Whether you like the series or not it's earned a place at the top when it comes to anime. It was the most commercial successful, had very high ratings when it aired, it was incredibly influential, broke into Western Pop Culture and opened up the Western World to more Japanese animation. At the very least, on this point it's earned a place in the Big 3 of Japanese Animation.

Lee-Sensei:

Gatx:
Also screw DBZ, it's good but it doesn't hold up. It sets down the formula for modern shonen battle mangas for sure such as the various stages of powered up forms, but because of that newer ones will always be better because they added stuff like character development and overarching plots to that formula.

I don't even watch anime that often. I've moved on to American comics and animation, but the elitism against Dragon Ball needs to be addressed.

1. DBZ did have character development. And if we count Part 1 then there was a lot of character development. A lot of the cast started out as antagonist and ended the series as heroes.

2. To be fair, Part 1 did have overarching story lines like the Piccolo Saga and the Red Ribbon Army Sagas.

3. DBZ is pretty bad, but Part 1 was good. It had a solid story, the main character had a solid goal, better fights, better animation at certain points, no 5 episode powering up and trash talk, twists (like Goku killing his own grandfather) and Tao Pai Pai's school (coming back to kill Goku for killing Tao), every major character developed and even many of the secondary characters like Oolong, the characters fought more with skill and even later in the series weaker characters could still be useful. The series was mainly made for teenage boys, but a show doesn't have to be dark and depressing to be mature.

4. Whether you like the series or not it's earned a place at the top when it comes to anime. It was the most commercial successful, had very high ratings when it aired, it was incredibly influential, broke into Western Pop Culture and opened up the Western World to more Japanese animation. At the very least, on this point it's earned a place in the Big 3 of Japanese Animation.

I know this an old topic, but, ah what the hell.

There is a difference between DBZ and DB, especially in the West where most people have only seen DBZ. When the Dragonball live action movie came out, I remember one of the primary complaints early was that it would suck because it didn't have Vegeta in it. When I say that DBZ is overrated, I mean DBZ specifically.

And I'm not saying it's not good for what it is or historically significant, but that it doesn't necessarily hold up, similar to how Goldeneye 64 is touted as best the console shooter ever.

Also anyone can make various kinds of lists of what they think are the top anime/manga, but specifically the "Big 3" is a term used to refer to Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, the three current most popular (or at least the most recognizable) series running in Shonen Jump magazine in Japan, since Dragonball ended decades ago, it's not in the running for that. There is also some argument that Bleach shouldn't be included anymore since the anime stopped even though the manga's continuing (probably from an obvious drop in interest).

Gatx:

Lee-Sensei:

Gatx:

I know this an old topic, but, ah what the hell.

There is a difference between DBZ and DB, especially in the West where most people have only seen DBZ. When the Dragonball live action movie came out, I remember one of the primary complaints early was that it would suck because it didn't have Vegeta in it. When I say that DBZ is overrated, I mean DBZ specifically.

And I'm not saying it's not good for what it is or historically significant, but that it doesn't necessarily hold up, similar to how Goldeneye 64 is touted as best the console shooter ever.

Also anyone can make various kinds of lists of what they think are the top anime/manga, but specifically the "Big 3" is a term used to refer to Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, the three current most popular (or at least the most recognizable) series running in Shonen Jump magazine in Japan, since Dragonball ended decades ago, it's not in the running for that. There is also some argument that Bleach shouldn't be included anymore since the anime stopped even though the manga's continuing (probably from an obvious drop in interest).

The Topic's not that old. Someone posted about 10 days ago.

Anyways, all I'm saying is that a clear distinction should be made between the two parts. Part 1 had a strong enough plot, humor, actual martial arts, twist, character development and some deaths (although a few guys were brought back). Obviously it depends on a persons personal preferences, but Part 1 hold's up.

I know that the Big 3 is about the current biggest shonen manga. And I know that there's talk about not replacing Bleach with Toriko. A lot of people didn't know that (which is why they were mentioning shows like NGE and Cowboy Bebop). What I was saying is that, when it comes to Japanese Animation in general, Dragon Ball has a place at the top.

Enough people have already said it, but I'll say it too, anyway: Dragonball z. Maybe I'm just old or something, but I thought it was still popular enough...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked