40.1% (212)
40.1% (212)
No
59.7% (316)
59.7% (316)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you listen to rap?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Only the occasional Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Beastie Boys, or Eminem song. If they can be considered rap rock, then Linkin Park as well. I'm more of a rock person, honestly.

PunkRex:

mitchell271:

PunkRex:
Thanks for this, sounds awesome sauce!

It's called Symphonic Metal. Basically, it's a metal band plus an orchestra. The 2 biggest bands are Epica and Nightwish; both of which have tons of albums.

Ive listened to Nightwish before, I don't get why so many hate them... this is always what I thought Evanescence should have sounded like.

For that kind of music its a natural progression. Evanescence is the casual version of that style, more rock than metal. You have bands like Epica and Nightwish...little bit more focused on orchestra and synth, guitars too...but more synth. Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, After Forever... thats all power/symphonic metal. It then progresses further...if you like the direction of the some of the synth and orchestra but like guitars more? Maybe like songs that are a bit more agressive? Don't mind a little screaming? Then you are heading into Melodic Death metal territory..

some tame melo-death.. imo

OT: Its really hard for me to get into rap and listen to it for any amount of time. I appreciate why people like it, they like the beats..they like dancing and they like the lyrics. I've listened to Immortal Technique and like some of that..but honestly its just not my thing.

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap.

huh??
they're exactly the same thing..

Is a person rapping over a rock music rap or rock?

mitchell271:

PunkRex:
Im mainly a Heavy Metal/Classical kind of guy but abit of Bone Crusher every now and then doesn't hurt.

When you say Classical, do you mean orchestral stuff? If so,

Oh wow, I have never even heard of this band. Thanks for introducing me, I think I know what is going on my MP3 player now.

I came of musical age in the early 90s, when musical genres were still somewhat segregated. I came from a lilly-white town where the local top 40 station even advertised as a selling point the fact that they didn't play rap music. So while I don't think I held negative racist views of black people, I do have to admit as a child I did pick up a racist notion that rock music was music for people like me and rap/hip-hop music was for people like "them". I suspect a lot of people from my community had similar notions, so it has been really funny watching my community suddenly embrace rappers from the 80s (even played on the station that advertises no rap!), whose songs seem so quaint and harmless today but were roundly demonized by the community a couple decades ago. One summer a few years ago I heard Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back" get requested during the lunchtime 80s flashback show literally every day. Apparently to chunky Bible Belt girls confronting the reality of mid-life spread, songs about how great women with big butts are, are the key to crossing racial lines and making rap acceptable.

After moving out of my town and getting control of my life, I suddenly found myself losing interest in rock music, especially the bleak depressing stuff that was the staple of my teenage years. I also started to like hip-hop and rap.

A friend of mine who grew up in the same town as I and who went through the same musical taste change to an even greater degree developed a theory one day while he was driving on an interstate trip. He observed that when he went though a big city there was always a rap station, but when he was in the countryside or in a small town there was never a rap station, but there was always a rock station. Now maybe the urban/rural demographic difference in the two genres is no big revelation, but he also observed that many rock songs are ultimately about unhappiness with the world, whereas all the "bitches and hos" people complain about in rap songs are ultimately about making it, about being successful and rising out of hardship into a better position in life. While the content of specific songs obviously varies, a large portion of rock songs are negative while a large portion of rap is positive, at least in a celebratory sense. So his theory is that young people in small towns like rock because its negativity gives them an outlet for their frustration at being trapped in such a place, while young people in cities tend to like hip-hop/rap because it gives hope to the idea that they might aspire to something better, an aspiration that can seem unrealistic to people growing up in small towns.

I don't know if his theory is totally true, but I do think it's interesting that both of us independently lost interest in rock music and gained an interest in rap/hip-hop soon after leaving our crap town with our crap jobs that we took because we couldn't find anything better and moving onto careers that made us happy by letting us have a positive influence on the people around us- careers that also gave us the notion that we were finally in control of our own lives and no longer had to make do with "whoever was hiring" for the rest of our lives.

I'm not a big fan of rap.

I can tolerate it if someone else is listening to it, but I don't actively seek it out.

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

I don't mind rapping, but I hate rap.

huh??

Both. Rap rock is a hybrid genre. And it's not one which is done well that often. But rapping isn't particularly a genre in itself. It's like calling screaming a genre.

Smolderin:

AnarchistFish:

Smolderin:

I don't see any argument here. I dislike rap music for the most part because of it's mainstream subject matter and quite honestly the culture that surrounds it. There is only so many times you can try to go to sleep at the night only to be woken up by posers that spent thousands of dollars on car speakers, who insist they keep blasting some song where a barely speaking english male repeats the phrase "bitches and ho's" at least 5 times. No thank you, not for me. How the genre ends up decaying itself is it's own business, but I sure as hell am not jumping on that particular bandwagon.

It's as if you think the genre is somehow in some kind of crisis or something. That's not the culture there is when you look beyond the mainstream rappers and that kind of hip hop is thriving on its own terms. You can't dismiss it because of its relation to the other side of the genre. Otherwise you could pretty much dismiss all music because all genres' mainstream forms are watered down, less interesting and generally worse.

It doesn't matter what I think, It was one example in a long list of other reasons why I do not like the music, and the culture it creates. Are you somehow perpetuating that I give rap another chance? I gave it plenty of chances back in my school days, in fact Rap is the first genre of music I used to admire until I actually started to listen to it. I went from Dem Franchise Boyz to other lesser known artists and no matter who I listened to, Rap didn't do anything for me. Over the years I just found more and more reasons to keep clear of Rap, so eventually I moved on to other genres, and from what I have seen, nothing much has changed since then. No thanks, I'll keep to my Rock music

I don't care what you listen to. That part of your argument and those criticisms you aimed at the genre were just flawed. The fact that you're now avoiding countering what I said in the last post and responding with something unrelated suggests you don't have a response to it.

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

huh??

Both. Rap rock is a hybrid genre. And it's not one which is done well that often. But rapping isn't particularly a genre in itself. It's like calling screaming a genre.

Smolderin:

AnarchistFish:

It's as if you think the genre is somehow in some kind of crisis or something. That's not the culture there is when you look beyond the mainstream rappers and that kind of hip hop is thriving on its own terms. You can't dismiss it because of its relation to the other side of the genre. Otherwise you could pretty much dismiss all music because all genres' mainstream forms are watered down, less interesting and generally worse.

It doesn't matter what I think, It was one example in a long list of other reasons why I do not like the music, and the culture it creates. Are you somehow perpetuating that I give rap another chance? I gave it plenty of chances back in my school days, in fact Rap is the first genre of music I used to admire until I actually started to listen to it. I went from Dem Franchise Boyz to other lesser known artists and no matter who I listened to, Rap didn't do anything for me. Over the years I just found more and more reasons to keep clear of Rap, so eventually I moved on to other genres, and from what I have seen, nothing much has changed since then. No thanks, I'll keep to my Rock music

I don't care what you listen to. That part of your argument and those criticisms you aimed at the genre were just flawed. The fact that you're now avoiding countering what I said in the last post and responding with something unrelated suggests you don't have a response to it.

Don't assume. I didn't counter not because I didn't have a response, I didn't counter cause I didn't want to counter. I didn't want to counter cause it would continue the discussion in which I had no interest in continuing. And why should I? There are no minds being changed here, no point being proven right or wrong. I have answered the thread's question, you disagreed with it, the end. Different strokes for different folks. You think my observations are wrong? Good for you. Sorry the hint wasn't clear enough for ya. Good day sir.

Aye, the only music i avoid like the plague is pop-music-with-black-people-masqurading-as-urban.

Pretty much anything else I'll give a listen. Classical, jazz, pop, whatevs.

triggrhappy94:
Some. I don't really like the stuff that's insulting or abusive, just bragging, or rapping about partying.

I really like Andre Nikatina though

Lot more to rap than that.

Yes, currently have Good Kid mAAd City on repeat.

Smolderin:

Don't assume. I didn't counter not because I didn't have a response, I didn't counter cause I didn't want to counter. I didn't want to counter cause it would continue the discussion in which I had no interest in continuing. And why should I? There are no minds being changed here, no point being proven right or wrong. I have answered the thread's question, you disagreed with it, the end. Different strokes for different folks. You think my observations are wrong? Good for you. Sorry the hint wasn't clear enough for ya. Good day sir.

Why are you even on these forums if you don't want to discuss things and if you're unprepared to hear your opinions, that you're all too happy to tell everyone, questioned?

Don't bother answering that, it's rhetorical and I don't care anymore

Oh yeah, I'm still a big fan of the likes of Public Enemy, Tupac, and Eminem. Most mainstream rap these days is utter crap though, lacking the lyrical prowess and strong messages that made old school rap great. Even those with potential like Kanye and Wayne completely fuck it up most of the time by repeating the same crap that everyone else does (full of themselves, having little to no message in their songs, lack of passion or creativity, treating rap like it should ever be fit for a dance club, etc.)

I have heard some good indie rap though (yay Youtube!), so we at least have that I guess.

I haven't listened to a rap record since "Peter Piper picked peppers, but Run rocked rhymes."

I lost interest in it as I developed my musical appreciation and lost touch with some of the friends with whom I listened to that music. It also coincided with a phase I entered where I couldn't appreciate artists who didn't create their music but rather sampled it.

All the time. The songs that are just downright dumb (i.e. super materialistic, looking at you Nelly, "Grillz" was just...bad) have the life of flies. They stay on the radio for about 2 weeks or so, and then replace by some other nonsense.

My personal band of choice is Outkast (which is just Big Boi now, unless Andre changes his mind)

Old school songs like "Rosa parks" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjRPBrmu1WQ
And the newer stuff like "Shutterbugg" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWsvkW6rKkQ and "Lines" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIo2m0iyl-U

Anyone who claims to hate rap as a genre just hasn't looked hard enough. If you look enough, you'll find something from pretty much any genre of music that you'll like. Doesn't matter if it's just a single song, or a single artist. The only person you're hurting is yourself if you decide to close yourself off to music without giving it an honest chance.

More on topic, yes, I listen to rap. Wu-Tang Clan, Kanye West, Eminem, Del the Funky Homosapien, and Mos Def are among my favorites. George Watsky and EpicLloyd are also great rappers that produce Youtube content on a somewhat regular basis.

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

huh??

So you realize rapping and the genre rap aren't the same thing?

evenest:
I haven't listened to a rap record since "Peter Piper picked peppers, but Run rocked rhymes."

I lost interest in it as I developed my musical appreciation and lost touch with some of the friends with whom I listened to that music. It also coincided with a phase I entered where I couldn't appreciate artists who didn't create their music but rather sampled it.

It didn't get better after that.

OT Yeah occasionally, I listen to a lot of everything, but it's rarely my "go to" section on my computer

Retro music guy myself. 40's-70's, so not really no, though I find Jon Lajoie to be a comic genius.

I can listen to almost anything........ except A Capella. I don't mind rap, I just haven't found much of it that I really enjoy, but there was a remix of The Real Slim Shady that I still listen to now and then.

I'm not listening to as much rap as I should be doing...

old school almost exclusively, and old school to me is 80s and some 90s

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.

Sixcess:
Only when I'm playing GTA: San Andreas, so I guess that'd be a no.

Same as you buddy. Although I did tend to prefer K-Rose over the other stations.

OT: there's only a couple of Rap songs I actually enjoy so no not really.

Not a huge fan. Kanye West went to my high school so he played a free show. Wasn't too bad.

AnarchistFish:

TehCookie:

AnarchistFish:

They are. Rap isn't a genre in itself and if you're talking about rap it's just music with rapping in it. Hip hop is a genre. But hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop.

Hip hop doesn't need rapping to be hip hop, which is why people say rap to referring to rapping hip hop, which is a more specific genre. Which is why people specify when it's not hip hop, as you shown above with rap rock.

Rap is crap, yo. I've never heard a good rap song, ever.

Froggy Slayer:
I used to have a weird stigma against rap when I was younger, as I tried to fit with my friends, who were goths and had a weird theory that rap would immediately turn you into a chav.

But then I listened to some rap and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed it!. So yes, I'd consider myself a fan of rap. Then again, I like most musical genres when they're done well.

My experiences were much the same! Did you guys have goth vs chav fights too?

Rap wasn't something my mates or family listened to much, so I wasn't exposed to it much. But, every now and then I'll find one I like, and that's cool.

username sucks:
I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.

I thought that was dubstep-ish, not really rappy?
I'm not really a fan of either, so I couldn't really accurately judge, although I did like that song....

Nope. I can't stand rap, and I've had friends who called me out for not giving it a try. And then I tell them I've been trying to find rap I like for fifteen years, and it hasn't worked. And then they shut up. I've actually found songs I would love if the rap wasn't in it (Coming Home and Libera Me From Hell spring to immediate mind).

Patrick Buck:

username sucks:
I answered yes, even though theres only ONE rap I have ever heard that I like, and it's only half rap. Miracle of Sound- Blood of the Creed.

I thought that was dubstep-ish, not really rappy?
I'm not really a fan of either, so I couldn't really accurately judge, although I did like that song....

About 70% of that song is Gav rapping with dubstep in the background. He even said himself that it was a mix of rap and dubstep.

I also just realized that I frequently liten to raps by the Gorrilaz.

Rap is a lyrical style commonly associated with hip-hop. Rap is not a genre. Hip-hop is a genre. Yes I listen to quite a bit of hip-hop. Currently I'm a big supporter of the Doomtree hip-hop collective from Minneapolis, MN consisting of: LAZERBEAK, Paper Tiger, POS, Mike Mictlan, Cecil Otter, Sims and Dessa. Recently I've been diggin' Macklemore and Kendrick Lamar.

socialtangent:
Anyone who claims to hate rap as a genre just hasn't looked hard enough. If you look enough, you'll find something from pretty much any genre of music that you'll like. Doesn't matter if it's just a single song, or a single artist. The only person you're hurting is yourself if you decide to close yourself off to music without giving it an honest chance.

More on topic, yes, I listen to rap. Wu-Tang Clan, Kanye West, Eminem, Del the Funky Homosapien, and Mos Def are among my favorites. George Watsky and EpicLloyd are also great rappers that produce Youtube content on a somewhat regular basis.

I have said this before but, I am not going to go looking in the sewer for a diamond ring. Yeah someone likely flushed one at some point, but why would I wade though miles of shit to find that one thing that is not shit? I am much better off going to a diamond mine. And what I mean by that is a genre I actually like. I might find a rap song some day that I like but I'm not looking.

Man, I don't understand a lot of peoples problem with rap. Is it disliking it purely because it's in the mainstream? Or is there something I am missing that proves it's crap? Anyway, it's been a pretty good read and it has introduced me too some pretty cool artists so cheers people!

Anyway, I don't know if you would call this Rap or Hip Hop or whatever the bloody hell else there is but I'm going to leave it here anyway.

ITT: Metalheads spout the same 'ignorant shit' they're always crying about people who don't like metal are "always making".

HTFU, princesses.

Katatori-kun:
snip

While I don't wish to be mean to you personally I find your ther.... hypos..... assertion. Well, lacking in a basic understanding of how the Human Brain works. The super abridged version is you don't see the world in the same way as the guy next to you. You think differently then him, you perceive diffidently then him, you notice diffident things then him. Why you notice different things is you are exposed to different things more often then him. You got exposed to rap more and stared noticing the differences more.

It's not that rap is optimistic and Rock is pessimistic and somehow you where "enlightened" to understand things more. No your brain just stared noticing X more then it did Y. You started caring about the Beat more then the rift, you stared caring about the story the guy was telling rather then the way he was telling it. And a million other differences. Your not more enlightened because you see the world in a different way then you use to.

RhombusHatesYou:
ITT: Metalheads spout the same 'ignorant shit' they're always crying about people who don't like metal are "always making".

HTFU, princesses.

This is a simple case of Confirmation Bias you want to see people who don't like the same things as you as being ignorant of it. When most of the replays that say they don't like rap have said just that. They don't like it. Yeah there have been some ignorant responses that say "Rap is Crap" and the like, but they are the exception not the rule.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked