Enjoy the Gonorrhea, Amercians.

Pages PREV 1 2

Uszi:

Esotera:
We really need to fund research into a whole new generation of antibiotics that have a biochemical target that cannot be easily changed by the organism. Or just new antibiotics in general...otherwise we face running out of any treatment options for the majority of diseases in our lifetime.

Problem is that antibiotics put enormous selective pressure on bacteria to develop resistance, and developing novel traits under extreme stress and then multiplying rapidly is the reason bacteria have been successful for billions of years.

Case in point: If you're treatment is 99.9999999% effective at killing bacteria, if that 0.00000001% develops a hard resistance, then it will quickly multiply since it has no competition from other bacteria, until 100% of the surviving bacteria are now resistant.

This is always why its a very serious problem that we're over prescribing antibiotics.

But this assumes that the target is some receptor protein that the bacteria is able to change and continue existing. Targetting something specific to bacteria which they can't change like their ribosomes would be a really effective way of an 'immortal' antibiotic that would be very hard to develop resistance to.

Well, I probably shouldn't worry about this, since the last (and first, actually) time I got some good stuff was around this time last year. And since then, it's been a dry well of depression, overeating and piles of used tissues...

*sob* I'm so lonely... T.T

Yay for other peoples misfortunes!

:3

Esotera:

Uszi:

Esotera:
We really need to fund research into a whole new generation of antibiotics that have a biochemical target that cannot be easily changed by the organism. Or just new antibiotics in general...otherwise we face running out of any treatment options for the majority of diseases in our lifetime.

Problem is that antibiotics put enormous selective pressure on bacteria to develop resistance, and developing novel traits under extreme stress and then multiplying rapidly is the reason bacteria have been successful for billions of years.

Case in point: If you're treatment is 99.9999999% effective at killing bacteria, if that 0.00000001% develops a hard resistance, then it will quickly multiply since it has no competition from other bacteria, until 100% of the surviving bacteria are now resistant.

This is always why its a very serious problem that we're over prescribing antibiotics.

But this assumes that the target is some receptor protein that the bacteria is able to change and continue existing. Targetting something specific to bacteria which they can't change like their ribosomes would be a really effective way of an 'immortal' antibiotic that would be very hard to develop resistance to.

Generally, you want your medication to be as effective as possible with as little side effects as you can manage. So most of our antibiotics is a group called beta-lactams, which works rather well because it inhibits a specific protein in a bacteria's reproduction cycle that is not present in mammalian cells so while a bacteria will lose its cell wall and thusly defense against our immune cells our body cells are fine and side effects are minimal.

Then there's a rather new group called cyclic lipopeptides, which act in multiple ways and inhibit synthesis of proteins, DNA and RNA, but have a rather long list of side effects with at least some of those symptoms present in around 5-10% of patients. It also seems to be inferior to classic beta-lactam treatment and in any case only works on Gram-positive bacteria.

And not to forget broad-spectrum antibiotics that also attack cell wall biosynthesis more effectively than the narrow-spectrum ones but are a lot more brutal to our own body's internal functions

Can you make something that dissolves DNA to get rid of infections? Sure, but that's not going to be pleasant for yourself.
The thing is that most of the antibiotics one way or another attack cell walls because that's the simplest and most logical solution. It's fairly hard to get inside a cell, you gotta abuse possible natural transporter channels and those can change then you're stuck at the start again. Bacterias haven't survived this long by hiding in a cave for 500 million years, they are damn good at adapting to any possible attack. E. coli, if I remember correctly, can transcribe its whole genome (4,6M base pairs) in about half an hour. You can do a lot of adaptions if you've got a new generation every half hour.

2xDouble:

Uszi:

Esotera:

Natural Selection doesn't really apply. Bacteria don't breed, they replicate.

Actually natural selection occurs in all living organisms including non cellular life such as the humble virus.

martyrdrebel27:

i dont know what perceptions you have about america but the majority of us believe in evolution.

Technically, yes, but about half of those think that evolution is directed by God. Natural selection appears to be believed by only 32%.

So yeah, we deserve our national shame.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to cite:

Pew Research Center, 2009:
http://www.pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Public-Opinion-on-Religion-and-Science-in-the-United-States.aspx

Doesn't affect me at all and hopefully it'll teach people to stop fucking everything that moves so it's all good. Too much sex in society nowadays anyways, maybe this'll fix it.

when it comes to any of these STDs there is no way to get rid of them completely from the body? And some don't show signs until years later right? So WTF are we suppose to do??

We should kill all of the std infected!!!!!

OT: This worries me. I'm not doing anything stupid to put myself at risk but I'm worried about my kids and my kid's kids.
Well, time to move to Antarctica.

Kopikatsu:

So, point of the thread; how does that make you feel?

If I could actually get some, I would give a fuck. But seeing as i'm surfing the web at 11:00 on a saturday, the likelihood of this affecting me is slim to nill.

There will be a new antibiotic on the market before this becomes a problem.

Well that sucks, I always use protection, but accidents can happen unfortunately. Oh and the disease and also Chlamydia can be spread via unprotected oral for those of you who thought it was totally safe.

Hagi:

Speaking of ironic sex facts. Did you know that US states which ONLY teach abstinence-only sex education actually have the highest rates of teen-pregnancy? Yep, that's totally working as intended :P

They're also really into the butt stuff. You can't get pregnant if you take the back entrance, and then you're still a virgin! I guess. I don't really get the reasoning behind that. And then they get disease because they think they don't need condoms.

OT: I'm actually not sure what I think. I really try to care, but I for some reason can't. Maybe it's because I'm safe, or maybe I can't bring myself to care too much about people that perform risky behaviour and then have something bad happen to them. It's like trying to feel bad about a kid that tries to jump a ravine on his bike and beaks everything. You feel for him, but you kind of also laugh when no one is looking. And then you feel bad about that.

Moral of the story: Don't jump ravines while doing butt stuff.

I think we should just keep fuckin' until we develop Gonorrhea-resistant humans.

I'll take my Nobel Prize now.

Dont worry, its going to spread. disease always does. You can feel safe, but it will get to you, so no one outside the americas feel smug this is happening here.

... Other than that, my thought about this is what it always is. Gather up anyone infected, put them all in a single place, kill them all or let them live in total isolation till they die out completely (same thing) and wait and see if evolution take its course (i.e. humans are born resistant to it) or if they all die before it. I dontk now how many people it is, but whatever it is, its not too high. world population could do with some pruning,a nd I dont see a WW2 any time soon that would do that job for us.

but no one ever likes to hear that idea. We're apparantly above outright shooting someone but doent mind passing off a potential death sentence/life altering change as long as we get our willies wet/holes sufficiently plugged.

I thought it was cute when Peter Schiff said that the Federal healthcare free contraception policy would cause the unintended consequence of males forgoing condom use since the female has access to free birth control pills. Thus watch for venereal disease to get much worse.

Time to look into companies that sell treatment for it and buy some of their stock.

emeraldrafael:
Dont worry, its going to spread. disease always does. You can feel safe, but it will get to you, so no one outside the americas feel smug this is happening here.

... Other than that, my thought about this is what it always is. Gather up anyone infected, put them all in a single place, kill them all or let them live in total isolation till they die out completely (same thing) and wait and see if evolution take its course (i.e. humans are born resistant to it) or if they all die before it. I dontk now how many people it is, but whatever it is, its not too high. world population could do with some pruning,a nd I dont see a WW2 any time soon that would do that job for us.

but no one ever likes to hear that idea. We're apparantly above outright shooting someone but doent mind passing off a potential death sentence/life altering change as long as we get our willies wet/holes sufficiently plugged.

Mostly because it's an incredibly simplistic and enormously stupid idea. You are wrong on so many levels (including your use of ellipses) about pretty much all of your everything in that paragraph.

"...awarded no points...god have mercy..." blah, blah, blah.

One must have sex for this, or at least get close to someone. So I think I am pretty damn safe.

Salad Is Murder:

emeraldrafael:

Mostly because it's an incredibly simplistic and enormously stupid idea. You are wrong on so many levels (including your use of ellipses) about pretty much all of your everything in that paragraph.

"...awarded no points...god have mercy..." blah, blah, blah.

I never said it was a great idea. My thoughts on the problems in africa are somewhat similar, and if you ever asked me how id run a war, youd find Id be breaking probably every geneva convention law. Sure its simple and stupid, but when you're dealing with idiots who dont even have the thought process to be safe with something they so highly value and live an easier life you need to be simple and stupid.

there's no real solution. you can push safer sex but there will be people who cant be bothered, just like tehy cant be bothered to tell you (and if you dont know it doesnt hurt to get tested at least once quarterly). you can push for what I suggested but its unethical and simple and stupid as you say. or you can just keep going on in a blissful ignorance state with the confidence of "oh, we'll just make something stronger and everything will be oka" until it gets worse, and then you repeat the process. and sure eventally you'll solve it and beat it, but it will come back as something stronger, or something new thats like it but worse.

So thats why I cant be bothered to care.

the captcha is pretty funny: egg on

WanderingFool:
Dont worry, I have a solution...

Ill take my Nobel Prize now...

Get this man some government funding!

This is unsettling, but not surprising. At least people who have STDs are forthcoming about it. Right?

One of my greatest fears is that the overuse of anti-biotics will lead to super-germs killing all of us.
So long as I use a condom, avoid strange needles, and don't get raped, I'm fine though.

Baron von Blitztank:

RhombusHatesYou:

Kopikatsu:

You would have to develope a new branch of mathematics to count the number of fucks I don't give.

I think the Incredible Man Monkey from Killing Floor has worked it out for you.

As for me, I to side with the Monkey. Enjoy your Gonnorhea! I'll remain here in the UK where everyone pisses themselves in fear at 10cm of snow.

Actually, i can do you one better

I have a condom on right now.
You can never be too safe on the internet.

FelixG:

lechat:
brb infecting your daughters

it was inevitably gonna happen so it's up to the doctors to start working on new antibiotics and it's up to us to use safe sex

You wouldnt think it would be so hard, its not difficult to use safe sex, and if I get to the point with a person that I am willing to go unsafe, and they have an STD that they havent told me about in that time... well that person is a total (String of Expletives deleted)

I swear this is just like a really boring version of the zombie apocalypse...

Singularly Datarific:

FelixG:

lechat:
brb infecting your daughters

it was inevitably gonna happen so it's up to the doctors to start working on new antibiotics and it's up to us to use safe sex

You wouldnt think it would be so hard, its not difficult to use safe sex, and if I get to the point with a person that I am willing to go unsafe, and they have an STD that they havent told me about in that time... well that person is a total (String of Expletives deleted)

I swear this is just like a really boring version of the zombie apocalypse...

Well, STDs and the zombie apocalypse all in one thread.

And that just gave me a mental image that requires a good deal of shuddering and brain bleach..

aelreth:
I thought it was cute when Peter Schiff said that the Federal healthcare free contraception policy would cause the unintended consequence of males forgoing condom use since the female has access to free birth control pills. Thus watch for venereal disease to get much worse.

Time to look into companies that sell treatment for it and buy some of their stock.

He's actually a bit right. When people get a false sense of safety, they do really stupid things. When American Football decided to use the helmets they currently use, they came to the conclusion that they didn't have to worry much about their heads anymore, sometimes using their heads as a weapon. So now you have football players with the mental capacity of an Easy Bake Oven because they've gone and jumbled their brains.

Kopikatsu:

**yawn**

Bacteria become resistant to treatments all the time. They'll find another drug that works, or create one by altering an existing drug, and people will be fine. And in a decade the resistance will have faded and the old drugs will work fine again.

This isn't really news - this happens all the time. The only reason anyone cares is because it's an STD, so people will pay more attention to news articles about it.

an STD outbreak?

:D sucks for all you promiscuous types :D

I'll be over here with popcorn and virus free :D

I actually wrote a paper on a possible solution to "super bacteria" that were resistant to anti-biotics. It had to do with bacteriophage concoctions :)

I thought it was pretty good for a high school paper. My teacher thought so too, and sent me a "warning" about plagerism being unacceptable behavior... you know, before she actually checked to see if I had written it. She just assumed I didn't. I even had citations and everything. It was legit!

Bitch thought I was dumb because I was quiet in class >:(

Here's a link about what bacteriophages are if you care.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage

I knew it ... this is it !! 2012 .. err .. 13 !!!

It starts as gonorrhea, then mutates into a new strand of vagi-flu (complete with sneezing!), before killing the sufferer and making them rise to stalk the living. Only it's not your brains they're interested in now ...

Oh gods what a horrible future we have in store.

No, seriously, besides the above nightmarish situation, this is just the first of countless bacteria that are going to become increasingly resistant due to irresponsible application of antibiotics.

I'd suggest investing in chicken farms. Chicken soup is the only thing that will always work.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
You guys can talk about how you don't care but I'm just gonna say I find this pretty horrifying.

I mean, yeah, not like I'm gonna get it since I'm not fucking random bitches without a condom, but still.

Word son, and I'm not fucking random bitches without no jimmy hat either, na'mean, BUT...

What if you meet a shawty, OR meet some new shawty (if you already be got a shawty), and you be wantin to wife that hoe up? Now what if that bitch got that gonorrhea and one day you decide to go raw dawg?

Ya feel me?

There are a number of outcomes to this situation depending on whether or not she knows and whether or not she tells you, but none of those outcomes are good.

Yo gone hafta pop a cap in dat bitch, nyukka.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked