so the Nostalgia Critic seems to be back...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

it appears as if demo reel wasnt such a success as he expected it to be. or maybe nostalgia got the best of him?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on

so what do you guys make of this?

Hmm, cool I guess. I am betting there is going to be a lot of bitching both ways, but hay it's something to watch.

After Watching the video I love that face he makes after that move.

DAMMIT!

I was just about to post this!

Still....FUCK YES! I can't wait for more reviews!

I totally lost it when:

I mean, in the end, it's all a bit silly and I can't say I'm all that fussed. Sure, I wasn't bothered by some of his later reviews but I'm sure we all knew he was never going to retire his most popular character. It was a well put together little short movie though, I'll give him that.

I thought the way he announced it was incredibly creative. The man's got talent, that much is certain. I for one can't wait for his grand return. Don't get me wrong, I love Demo Reel and I wanted to see more, but I missed the Critic at the same time. And I am glad he is back not because the fans want it, but because he wants it. (*He made that pretty clear in the announcement episode when he said, "Ya but I don't want to bring him back because the fans want him, I want to bring him back cause I want him back".)

I liked what I saw of Demo Reel but I never thought it would have a lot of staying power. I was expecting more new things but I'll be honest, I'm glad the Nostalgia Critic is returning. The site just wasn't the same without him.

Well that sure lasted, all of what, three or four months? And goody, we get to see him scream and mug the camera some more.

The best thing about Nostalgia Critic leaving was that I got more interested in the sites other reviewers, like Welshy, Paw and Sage. They not only come off much more interesting than Doug, but they actually do analysis rather than just screaming.

I'm sorry to say but I've really soured towards Doug Walker over the past few months, especially when I found the video of him quitting his old job. What a fucking jackass he was being.

I'm okay with this. I enjoyed most of the NC's initial run, but the quality of the later episodes started to suffer (too many forced memes and cameos for my taste). I suspected Doug was getting burnt out, and apparently that was indeed the case.

I'm happy with the new ground rules established. Slowing down the release schedule to once every two weeks will hopefully prevent fatigue from setting in again. Removing the cutoff date was a smart move as well, as it allows him to stay topical with younger generations as time goes on.

That said, a more cynical part of me wonders if his decision to return was based more on declining traffic at TGWTG. Say what you will about the other reviewers on the site, but the NC by far brought in the most viewers.

In all though, I'm optimistic about the whole thing.

Neverhoodian:
I'm okay with this. I enjoyed most of the NC's initial run, but the quality of the later episodes started to suffer (too many forced memes and cameos for my taste). I suspected Doug was getting burnt out, and apparently that was indeed the case.

I'm happy with the new ground rules established. Slowing down the release schedule to once every two weeks will hopefully prevent fatigue from setting in again. Removing the cutoff date was a smart move as well, as it allows him to stay topical with younger generations as time goes on.

That said, a more cynical part of me wonders if his decision to return was based more on declining traffic at TGWTG. Say what you will about the other reviewers on the site, but the NC by far brought in the most viewers.

In all though, I'm optimistic about the whole thing.

Demo Reel was shit, so he's going back to his big draw persona. However, removing the cutoff date also means that we can probably expect more "I hate this movie why do you guys find it popular!?" videos, like his shitty ass Indiana Jones review.

Well....that was unexpected, but I'm not entirely inclined to disagree. Demo Reel was a mess that didn't know what it wanted to be, resulting in it's miserable failure - so a return of the Nostalgia Critic is probably for the best. However, I'd have liked it much more if he could have indeed found an alternative format he could stick to. While the NC was always entertaining it got really old at the end and I doubt his, well, "creative pause" really did enough to change this. It merely postponed the inevitable. And not for long I'd wager.

Smolderin:
I thought the way he announced it was incredibly creative. The man's got talent, that much is certain.

That's also what struck me here. While it certainly employed a lot of the common cinematographical tricks and tropes that go into mystery and even "artsy" movies from what I could tell, he used it really well for something as, let's face it, ridiculous as the underlying story. I mean that insane Kubrick stare he did from the computer screen as the NC - man that was a joy to watch. Also the whole self-referential or even postmodernist aspect in that whole thing (his (as doug) exchange with the NC for the details as a way to give the audience the necessary info, the whole "now you have experienced failure" part with Donnie) also worked really well for what it was. Also the jokes didn't get in the way of the drama which was also a present surprise here. This was probably the most enjoyable thing I've seen him release in quite a while.

To be honest, despite the fact that I'm a pretty big fan of the Nostalgia Critic, I was actually fine with him being gone.

On the other hand, I do like his new ground rules involving getting rid of cut off dates and having a review every two weeks. So I look forward to his review on Timothy Green.

Well that lasted long. I stopped watching the NC's long before he stopped doing them because I thought they were starting to get stale. Nothing against Doug Walker because I think he's a pretty funny guy, hopefully they'll come back strong, and I wouldn't be against him only doing them monthly, that way he can put the time into making sure they are all top quality and also work on other things that he must really want to do as well. I think it helped the AVGN when James Rolfe slowed down releases and hopefully it'll work here too.

does this mean he's dropping demo reel?

not sure how I feel about this...it kind of looks like he's not sticking to his guns as an "artist" and falling back to his "safe" money maker

in other words a failure

THAT SAID I do wonder if he can make NC less stale...it wasnt so much subject matter as it was the predictable formula of his reveiws

"sumarize plot, obvious joke, mug at the camera" rinse repeat...hence why I find a more analytcical take 10x more interesting/entertaining

Soviet Heavy:

Demo Reel was shit, so he's going back to his big draw persona. However, removing the cutoff date also means that we can probably expect more "I hate this movie why do you guys find it popular!?" videos, like his shitty ass Indiana Jones review.

are you upset he took the piss out of indiana jones? seriously its interesting somtimes to look at "favortes" and deconstruct them..no need to get upset

Soviet Heavy:

The best thing about Nostalgia Critic leaving was that I got more interested in the sites other reviewers, like Welshy, Paw and Sage. They not only come off much more interesting than Doug, but they actually do analysis rather than just screaming.

you should check out Nostalga chick, todd and Oan citzen....IMO Nchick is the best one on the site

the site is absolutly begging for a redesign....it doesnt encourage you to look at what else is there also because majority is very amaturish and...well crap

Vault101:

Soviet Heavy:

you should check out Nostalga chick, todd and Oan citzen....IMO Nchick is the best one on the site

the site is absolutly begging for a redesign....it doesnt encourage you to look at what else is there also because majority is very amaturish and...well crap

I'd like Lindsay better if she kept her talentless friends out of her skits and just focused on analysis. Nella is unfunny, uncreative, and drags down everything she touches.

And Brows Held High is a very interesting show. I especially like his crossovers with Sage, especially their discussion of Jin-Roh.

As for his Indiana Jones review, I disliked it because he seemed to be basing his entire argument around "This film is too popular while I think it sucks!" rather than looking for actual flaws in the film.

My day has been made by that video.
Glad to see the Critic's back. I support whatever Doug wishes to do with his shows, and I do like to see him try new projects. But I can't lie, I really missed the Nostalgia Critic. It's good news that he's adding an extra week to developing his videos.

Soviet Heavy:
I'd like Lindsay better if she kept her talentless friends out of her skits and just focused on analysis. Nella is unfunny, uncreative, and drags down everything she touches.

jesus...somones mad today

and I like Nela just fine, I liked her in sister act and freddy got fingered...they bounce off each other well...

Can't say that I'm surprised. Nostalgia Critic was the big draw of the site (probably second is Nostalgia Chick, but she tends to not post new stuff that often), and Demo Reel just wasn't good.

Hell, when me and the boyfriend were checking up on what was new on TGWTG, we saw that Doug made a new Movie in 5 Seconds, and the first thing the boyfriend said was "Damn, he must be desperate for views" since he hasn't done one of those in forever.

I don't think that he was really losing his touch. Hell, the other day I was watching some of his later reviews and they were hilarious.

Glad he's back. Even found that video kind of touching when I watched it.

Smolderin:
I thought the way he announced it was incredibly creative.

You mean by nicking the plots of two movies and fusing them together?

Soviet Heavy:

Personally, I'd like it better if Nella got a show and Lindsay was the periodic sidekick. It's really weird hearing someone defend Lindsay by calling someone else unfunny, though.

I saw that earlier today. It was interesting to say the least.

I really liked the Nostalgia Critic back in the day, but it was clear that his newer stuff was getting stale. He was really reaching at the bottom of the barrel, trying to make the show much more interesting, but ultimately making it feel forced. I was a bit saddened by the news, yes, but I thought it was a good choice to end the show. That said, my interest with TGWTG has dwindled since then, only checking in to see what Nostalgia Chick, Todd In The Shadows, and Rap Critic were doing (I would have also said Jessu Otaku, but she hasn't done anything anime related in, like, ever! :P). It might actually do the site some good if he actually came back.

So I'm not exactly excited, but I'll be tuning in to see how this pans out.

Zachary Amaranth:

Soviet Heavy:

Personally, I'd like it better if Nella got a show and Lindsay was the periodic sidekick. It's really weird hearing someone defend Lindsay by calling someone else unfunny, though.

I don't watch NChick for humor, I watch it for her film analysis. So when you get someone like Nella trying to infuse a show with "quirky" humor, I find it detracts from what I'm paying attention to. It's like watching a historical film and then suddenly some bizarre Clown prances around on the screen, makes a fart joke then bounces out.

Soviet Heavy:
I don't watch NChick for humor, I watch it for her film analysis. So when you get someone like Nella trying to infuse a show with "quirky" humor, I find it detracts from what I'm paying attention to. It's like watching a historical film and then suddenly some bizarre Clown prances around on the screen, makes a fart joke then bounces out.

I find nostalga chick (lindsey herself as well) to be fucking HILARIOUS most of the time...hell funnyer than Doug ever was

different strokes and all but yeah

cool

though

-.- still waiting on the next History of the Power Rangers from Linkara

All in all i am glad hes coming back. i really WANTED to like Demo Reel but it just never clicked for me (the movie sketches weren't funny/good to me and i just stopped caring after the first 2 episodes) That said i did really like those 2 new people that played the writer and actress and hope they somehow make it into the new version of NC.

I was supportive of ended the NC when he did and hope Doug isn't bringing him back just because the fans want him. But given how sincere that video seemed...i would think hes happy to bring NC just like most of us are.

Also the cut-off date for movies getting scrapped is a HUGE plus for me. And maybe it just me...but was I the only one who kind of wanted a bit of a 're-design' in the NC costume for the "New Era"? Maybe that's just me =p

I welcome him with open arms. Hope he does another commercials video. Those were beyond hilarious.

Can't wait, I hope he reviews not just old movies, but movies that came out only recently! Looks like I have to finish watching ones I never watched (very few) and look forward to some more Nostalgia Critic!

Lunar Templar:
cool

though

The only response to that is this.

Its surprising how accurate it is.

Soviet Heavy:
Well that sure lasted, all of what, three or four months? And goody, we get to see him scream and mug the camera some more.

I'm sorry to say but I've really soured towards Doug Walker over the past few months, especially when I found the video of him quitting his old job. What a fucking jackass he was being.

Video of him quitting his old job?

Mr.Squishy:

Soviet Heavy:

Video of him quitting his old job?

Walking into the breakroom, ripping his shirt off to show his body graffiti spelling "I QUIT" while playing blaring music and dancing around like a prick. I'm with his boss, I would have called the cops on this asshole.

Honestly, it's a shame because while his fanbase certainly wants to keep NC around there is only so much material because he is sharing his life with the viewers. His content needs to succeed because to advance his career he needs to have a wider portfolio and not just some 2 bit character. Sad fact is all his characters are 2 bit characters and while there is nothing wrong with that the content demand from internet viewers is changing for better or worse(I could go into those worse but that would just start one big flame war).

Lunar Templar:
cool

though

I think he said at a panel or something that the longbox of the dead, while fun to make and incredibly successful was a lot more work than he thought and kind burnt him out and threw of his schedule, so he pushed back power rangers and story bits in his videos.

Ot: I really don't care, I didn't like his style of review to begin with and I don't think that will change all that much

I....

I've missed the Nostalgia Critic. I like watching his reviews while eating dinner (though admittedly that's not always a great idea, since I end up choking on the food from laughter. 8D)

Does this mean the Critic will be in the Anniversary specials again? Or is he gone for good from those?

Vault101:

Soviet Heavy:

You forgot CR, that dude is underappreciated.

There's a distinct lack of showmanship at TGWTG, and CR is one of the few reviewers there that has a great voice.

I'm not sure if it's still cool to do so but i like the Critic. Yeah, there's a lot of obnoxious screaming and forced humor in his reviews but in my opinion you could alway tell that Doug Walker has genuine insight on what makes a good movie good and a bad movie bad. And as long as there are bad movies he will never run out of material.

Yeah, he's not my favourite reviewer on the site anymore... i've gained a lot of appreciation for Oancitizen, if only because he tends to review movies i find interesting and has a more analytical approach to them. But i'm still happy that the Nostalgia Critics show continues.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked