47.1% (169)
Other
7.5% (27)
7.5% (27)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do You Run?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Well I try to, just so I can keep fit.
Though I only run two days a week thanks to University.

It would be nice to get the opportunity to do it more. >.<

only short distances, though i should run more, my left ankle and knee are a little dicky after pulling some of the tendons a few years back (it makes my ankle roll really easily in shoes that have an arch, like say, most joggers), i can run short distances just fine, but then my ankle gives and i'm back to square one.

Used to, being in the army and all. Completed a half marathon once and got the t-shirt... but that shit can fuck up your legs and back (or rather, it did mine... but then, I'm considerably heavier than most people my height even when I'm under 10% body fat). Can't do any such high-impact exercises anymore if I value my nerves and tendons, but I do swim quite a bit. I heartily recommend swimming, much less dangerous.

Sadly, no. I would like to run or even jog but a combination of my weight and my Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis makes it almost impossible for me to run because of the extreme pain. Even walking is really painful. I am eating better and healthier though and I do seem to be losing weight which is nice. I do walk when I am able too so hopefully in the next few months I am able to start jogging.

You crazy? D: Do you have any idea how bad it is for your health, legs and self-esteem to run?!?

I do all my running on a machine at the gym. That way, I can safely zone out without worrying about traffic, muggers, etc.

God no. I find if I try and go for a run I lose heart after not very far. My only exercise besides walking about is doing half a bajillion press-ups and sit-ups every morning.

Ytomyth:
You crazy? D: Do you have any idea how bad it is for your health, legs and self-esteem to run?!?

and dignity, wreaks havock with that.

Personally i don't run as i find it screws up my legs, i do however do at least 50 minutes on a crosstrainer at ramped up difficulty every day.

Would love to, but can't. Literally can't

Long story short: Both of my knees are fucked up, can't straighten my legs. If I try, I end up dislocating the patella. So running, jumping etc. are out of my reach.

I run.... to the fridge! (Nom!)
Honestly though, I try and run (on crosstraining machines, because running on paths ruins my messed up knees) at least three times a week. Maybe 8km a session. Would love to do more, but I'm not that fit, and I've recently done something to my lower back that's griefing me constantly. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon at an osteopath and I can be back exercising properly again.

Not unless I have to be somewhere in a hurry and I don't have a bike available. I find running to be quite boring when there's no motivation, incentive or competition, so I generally won't run for its own sake. Its kinda the reason why I loved running races when I did cross-country with my school and didn't really enjoy training.

I don't run but i do do a hell of a lot of cycling. My commute is 16 miles to and from work, and i can do it faster then people in Iron cages (car drivers)
I also do lot of sponsored cycle rides for British hart foundation and I am the head guy for Sky ride in this area.
Every summer i do Lands end to John-o-groats (basically i ride from one end of Britain the the other) I takes me 14 days at 60 miles per day, we could do more but we like to go at a steady pace and stop off at places admire the view ect some people do 200+ miles a day for it.

I know a few runners and they are a bit Elitist. Some do these spartan race things.

I find running soo boring. I do kickboxing and when I'm at the gym I do mostly rowing, I can't run for more than about 5 mintues without wanting to die.

I used to. Sadly, certain... health problems now stop me from doing so.

I look forward to getting back out there again, but after so long it's going to be hard. Especially on my back.

I hate running, so the only time I do it is when I'm out with my dogs so that they get so preoccupied with keeping up with me that they forget to jump into every nearby body of water and come out covered in mud.

Used to. Got a foot injury, walking is unpleasant enough as it is.
Shame.

I tend to have some matches of nerf and I LARP. So yeah I run, when it feels natural to run. Having a werewolf hot on your tail does wonders to the motivation.

Goofguy:
I've only ever done one half marathon but I mostly do 5k runs. Any more than 7-8 clicks and I get pretty fucking bored.

Thankfully someone else understands. I do 5km runs as well and have to have music AND a story going in my head. I just find it so damn tedious.

I have played marathon soccer matches that have lasted 5 hours where there was probably 15 to 20 km of running but it was the soccer that kept me going.

I used to party every weekend and that was my cardio.
Now I dont, so I listen to loud music and walk for an hour or two instead.

Oh man, I love me some running. Pretty sure I hold a few local records in the 100m "OHSHITTHETRAIN" and the 200m Pikeychase.

But in all seriousness, exercising? for fun? What utter twaddle! You must be daft, son!

And now actually serious, no I do not run for fun or exercise. I might take a brisk stroll across a few fields and footpaths, maybe a little jaunt on the North downs, but running is a bit too much of a commitment to being healthy.

You can't smoke and run either. I've tried, you get smoke in your eyes and up your nose, you almost swallow your fag and it's just generally unpleasant. Would not recommend.

Squirrels also tend to run away from you if you run towards them. I'm not a bad shot with a stone but it's hard to hit a small moving target. If you sneak up on 'em you can catch 'em off guard and give the little furry bastards a bad headache.

If you have no idea what I'm on about watch this. Only a few minutes are relevant, and I've set the link to start at the relevant point, but I recommend watching the whole show, Al Murray is fantastic. http://youtu.be/UA_8PfMdr-8?t=37m20s

I walk on the treadmill - still not fit enough to be able to sustain a run for long. So I just load up an episode of a show and walk until it's over. It's a brisk walk, but no running. Don't know if I ever will - I damaged my knee about a year ago and it hasn't gotten better. Which is annoying, since al I was doing was walking up my front steps to my door with some groceries and I wrenched my knee. And now if my knee isn't hurting, my achilles tendon hurts because of my walking a bit oddly to avoid knee pain. Yay getting older.

I usually run 3-5 miles twice a week, although i have no intention to do any marathons or such: It's just useful cardio work for the other sports i do (Boxing and Rugby)

FoolKiller:

Goofguy:
I've only ever done one half marathon but I mostly do 5k runs. Any more than 7-8 clicks and I get pretty fucking bored.

Thankfully someone else understands. I do 5km runs as well and have to have music AND a story going in my head. I just find it so damn tedious.

I have played marathon soccer matches that have lasted 5 hours where there was probably 15 to 20 km of running but it was the soccer that kept me going.

That's because those soccer matches are considerably more fun and if you're the competitive type, you'll keep driving yourself through exhaustion. Plus, all the stopping, sprinting, pivoting and quick turns work out those leg muscles that wouldn't necessarily be exercised through normal running.

Girl With One Eye:
I find running soo boring. I do kickboxing and when I'm at the gym I do mostly rowing, I can't run for more than about 5 mintues without wanting to die.

Bizarre, thats the exact reason i like crosstraining, i find it relaxing and it lets me zone out. Rowing or cycling bores me to tears. Different strokes different folks!

As I like to keep my joints in full working order, I generally don't run, no.

I walk quickly. I swim, climb and otherwise go for enjoying the functionality of the meat machine as long as it lasts. Running just does not seem to be a smart choice.

Plus, the average runner pisses me off beyond belief, no matter whether we go for the random encounter on urban sidewalks or we bump into each other in the woods. There are, of course, exceptions, but the average runner just induces a bout of misanthropy in dear old me.

ellers07:

Coppernerves:
Running.

I do it whenever I'm outside, because it's quicker and less boring than walking.

But I really don't get why people would do it as a hobby, or how they can enjoy it.

It looks just as dull and brainless as swimming and rowing, and wanting to breath more air in when your lungs are already full, and while your legs ache from a lack of oxygen, is so uncomfortable.

Come to think of it I find a small satisfaction in exerting my will over that discomfort, but it's not something I'd run exclusively for.

Taking a look back at other posts in this thread, someone mentioned that it's great to let loose and embrace the outdoors.
I guess that means that some people enjoy space and displacement itself.
I still don't "get it", but people get satisfied by different and often weird things.

I understand that. It took me a while to really enjoy it when I first started. Somehow it has become a hobby now (There may be something wrong with me). You're right though, it doesn't take much thought. I think that's part of why I like it though. It gives me time to just think about things. While it's exhausting and pain inducing, it does make me feel good.

I would hardly call enjoying runnning, when it keeps you in shape and gives you time to think, something wrong.
Odd, maybe, but pretty much the opposite of wrong.

If it is indeed an acquired taste, it sounds very much worth acquiring.

I will quite happily walk long distances whenever I have spare time and nothing better to do, and I walk at about double the speed of your average person which IMO is kinda sad, but I don't run unless I'm being chased by someone, or am chasing someone. Not worth the effort otherwise.

Running for running's sake bores me to tears, but doing a sport that requires a lot of running is infinitely fun for me. Tag is still one of the greatest games ever invented.

Techno Squidgy:

If you have no idea what I'm on about watch this. Only a few minutes are relevant, and I've set the link to start at the relevant point, but I recommend watching the whole show, Al Murray is fantastic. http://youtu.be/UA_8PfMdr-8?t=37m20s

That... made my day. I think this thread's creation was just justified by your post. Thank you for sharing that!

Girl With One Eye:

Huh, I'm the opposite - rowing in an actual boat I'm good with, but rowing machines at the gym bore me to tears. Even with music and positioned in front of a TV with subtitles I have a hard time staying with that for more than half-an-hour.

Yeah I do, I'm training for a marathon right now in fact

Tried it for a while. Got heart palps for a week and had to stop.

Before you tell someone to get off their ass and exercise, think that maybe not everyone is the same.

Not everyone can do brutal exercise.

Also, running is technically bad for you if you over-do it. The body isn't meant to work that hard. In nature, running is used as a survival tool, it's not something to be practiced dailys. you'll burn your body out.

The human body is pretty darn fragile.

I run either 30 or 60 minutes at 7MPH, three times a week. I just cannot this week because of an agonising pain between my outer quadricep and knee on my right leg that developed as I was running last Saturday. I have gone to the doctor about it but they have repeatedly been less than helpful.

I started training in parkour a little over a year ago. Yet, ironically, I hate running. It just bores the bejeezus out of me.

I can usually last about a quarter mile before the AADD (Athletic Attention Deficit Disorder) kicks in and I end up climbing monkey bars or jumping over park benches or something.

But most of the guys I train with tell me running is essential to the discipline, so I'm trying to work up to a mile for my warm up.

I used to a couple times a week about a few months ago, but then I got really busy and just stopped.

It's hard running for me since I have a shit ankle, but I do have a brace for it so it makes life easier for me there. I really need to start back up since a friend of mine and myself are thinking of doing this zombie run 5K thing in November and I need to get into shape for that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked