What are adults "supposed to do" for fun?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

If you're a young adult, then you partake of booze and sex. once you've had your fill of booze and sex, you sit in a circle with your buddies and reminisce on past instances of having your fill of booze and sex.

If you're an old adult, you gradually come to the realization that you hate the career path you've selected for yourself, and hate yourself for being powerless to do anything about it now that you're dependent upon the income to support your family, the stress of raising, which, has driven you almost to suicide. the human brain being an adaptable thing, you eventually rationalize your misery as being properly mature adult, and look down upon those who enjoy things in life because they remind you on some subconscious level that you're a joyless curmudgeon.

I guess 30 is an adult? I haven't accepted it yet.

I watch movies and lots of tv shows, play video games, read comics and manga, read a lot of regular books too... Sometimes go out with friends and eat and talk and just take it easy.

My parents are in their early 60s and retired, and my mom plays a lot of video games (she's disabled, she has an excuse to sit around all day if she wants to use it) and my dad is a musician and plays with his bands a lot, or goes for bike rides.

Adults are supposed to work in order to earn money in order to stay alive in order to work more.

It's the circle of life.

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

Which really brings up the question, what ARE they supposed to do?

Here are a few things adults are supposed to do for fun:

- get wasted
- have sex
- talk about having sex
- talk about other people having sex
- masturbate
- watch sports (never play them! That's for children)
- talk about how the youth of today is inferior to them when they were young

If you're 50+, you can also talk about the various illnesses you have, the operations you've had or are about to have and generally try to one up the others at who's in the worst condition.

As a 25 year old adult I like to do many things. Those things include but are not limited to, text based roleplaying, video games, tabletop roleplaying, airsoft, real steel shooting, belegarth (larping but with no "magic"), drinking alcohol, occasionally gambling, and riding my Harley.

In short, do what makes you happy. That's the awesome freedom of being an adult.

The most mature adults do whatever they want, the least mature adults try and convince others to conform to "adult-like" activities.

What are adults supposed to do for fun? Kill their childhood in as many ways as possible. Destroy it. Rip it to shreds. Sink into banality. Get responsible, lament shit, watch News, find a vice to fight the banality, and have a family. Maybe have some friends to share the burden with.

At least that's how I pretty much see things. Adults aren't supposed to have fun. >.>

PS: Lets not forget the mid life crisis.

AccursedTheory:

As long as you pay your bills, don't break the law and don't screw over your neighbor, go nuts.

Strangely, I want to fill my apartment full of balls now.
I think my place maybe too messy to deal with that though. And if I spilled something - game over.

Whatever you want to do as long as you pay your bills and don't hurt anyone. And meet the responsibilities you signed on for. I play video games, watch movies, and go out sometimes. And sleep a lot.

shootthebandit:
In the words of his holyness father jack hackett. DRINK DRINK DRINK FECK DRINK FECK DRINK

a free cookie if you get the reference and your not from UK or ireland

"That would be an ecumenical matter!" Father Jack Hackett Best Priest ever, just ahead of Father Dougal and Kirei Kotomine. But on more topic I agree If your an adult with an income, then do what ever you want in your free time (so long as you don't hurt anyone/yourself).

My adult life for the past 10 years has been as such:

Go to work, get home, play games. Payday is here, buy a new game and pay bills, repeat.

Quite happy with my life. Many people spend their free time looking for happiness. My happiness exists on a tv screen in my living room.

Wow, so many jaded views on getting older and being more mature...

I'm older (40) , have a mortgage, job (which I love), wife (who I love too ), play golf, drink, play video games, make video games, ride motorbikes and travel a lot. I'm pretty happy with things and don't regret anything.

The only difference I see between being older and being younger is means. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure helps.
You spend a lot of time making the money you need to live life and the choices you make can affect how much of that you need to do in relation to how happy you are in your life.

But the real difference is permission. As an adult, you don't need permission to have fun so go at it, the world is your oyster - but you're also fully responsible for the consequences of everything you do.

As a 19-year-old and therefore, legally, one of these so-called "adults", the main answer seems to be drinking incessantly in the sunshine.

But really, anything you fucking want.

shootthebandit:
In the words of his holyness Father Jack Hackett, "DRINK DRINK DRINK FECK DRINK FECK DRINK".

A free cookie if you get the reference and your not from UK or Ireland.

This New Yorker can confidently say that you're referencing Father Ted. Great show.

Anyways, in terms of the topic, it seems to me that work and responsibility take up the better part of your time. Careers, supporting some kind of cause, marrying, continuing the family bloodline and all that. I'm only a student at the moment, so I haven't quite reached that point yet, but I hope I'll be ready when I do.

my father is of that opinion aswell, games are for kids. he has played pong once and sometimes plays solitar on his notebook.
what does he do to fill his time? I guess he reads a lot or something like that. but well, since the stroke he takes long for everything, so that sorted itself out.

for me the thing about being an adult is that I can do what ever I want aslong as I can handle the consequences.

Uh... watch TV. And drink. Also manage a family but that's not exactly free time.

If pop culture has taught me anything, that's what adults do in their spare time, and rarely much else.

Obviously a mature adult collects ponies and plays videogames and watches pony stuff, I know because I am a mature adult.

Wraith:
Legally I've been adult for a little over a year, and I really don't fucking know.

From what I understand, I am just supposed to work at a job I hate forever.

If certain people in my life had their way, that is exactly what I would be doing.

RatherDull:
I was watching Big Bang Theory (Shut up, I like it.) and one character mentions that adults aren't supposed to be spending their life with toys and nerd paraphernalia.

http://xkcd.com/150/

We don't have to do anything for fun. Oh some people might expect you to take up golf or watch sports or whatever but you don't have to do anything.

Whenever someone tells me to act like an adult my response is

"I am an adult, therefore anything I choose to do is how an adult acts".

Seriously there's only two things I can do to stop being an adult, age into an old man or die.

AccursedTheory:

As long as you pay your bills, don't break the law and don't screw over your neighbor, go nuts.

I like that second panel. I'll remember that now.

But ya. Once you are an adult I believe you can do whatever the hell you want as long as you take care of all your responsibilities.

Sometimes I think people believe being an adult means you must do or like the opposite of what kids like. Therefore you would only enjoy things that are either boring, risky or highly expensive. Or all three.

Seems kind of silly. I don't think you magically become a different person once you hit a certain birthday. Being an adult is just an extension of yourself added to what you are as a kid.

RatherDull:
what ARE they supposed to do?

Masturbate?

According to...?

If you ask one person, it would mean staying up all night, drinking until you pass out, and having sex with as many people as possible. Another would say playing bridge, eating pasta, and cooing over pictures of one another's children.

So if it isn't a total cop out, I guess the answer would be "Whatever you enjoy, that you can also either face up to doing before your social circle and/or be certain of keeping absolutely secret from same."

RatherDull:

You stop fucking worrying about what other people think about your own personal hobbies.

But there is certainly a difference between living with their toys and actually having a hobby. One could argue that the collection of said toys is the hobby and they would be right but to only limit yourself to one thing is what makes people think so poorly of said hobby.

Consume alcohol and watch people kick a ball around, or throw it, or bounce it, or hit it with a sti- it's a lot of balls is what I'm saying.

Games of nude twister, dog walking, and competitive cupcake baking.

RatherDull:

Work. In they're free time they're allowed to golf or watch socially acceptable television, like the news, in order to make sure they don't deviate from the status quo. They may also raise offspring, otherwise known as "children," in order to continue the survival of the species.

Seriously, who cares? You don't have to justify yourself to anyone. As long as you're a productive member of society, do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Besides, geek is in right now. You'd have to brick yourself into a cave in order avoid nerd paraphernalia.

Smoke a pipe (not even the fun kind) pretend you've got your shit together. Get a job, buy shit (lamps and clothes, mostly), settle down with the first woman who says yes, argue and say you're happy, hate life. At least, that's what my friends are telling me I should be doing (but they make it sound so much nicer).

The image of a "grown up" is terrible. As much as I like booze and drugs, I don't want to live a life where that's so glorified and considered the ultimate release from current relationships, the job and so on. If you can't be happy sober, getting wasted wont help any. Being an adult is horrible and we've built a society where that's a good thing.

... Being an adult is stupid, amiright?!? Stupid and ugly. "Hey, remember all that shit you couldn't do when you were little? Now you can do it as an adult! But DON'T YOU FUCKING DO IT!"

What adults are "supposed to do"...

Bars? Nah...
Drink? Not my thing...
Golf? Nooooooooooooooo...
Watch football/soccer/football/baseball? Not for me.
Night Clubs? No thank you...
Crossword puzzles... Helllll no

That stuff is just not for me.

I'm an adult and here's what I do (after I get all my responsibilities taken care of):

1. Play video-games
2. Watch My Little Pony cuz it FUCKING ROCKS!
3. Group skype with my friends (while gaming half the time)
4. Attend Furry Conventions (Yes, I am a Furry and a Brony and fuck you haters I'm having fun!)
5. Eat Pizza
6. Go to the gym with friends (it is a LOT easier and actually fun to work out with a buddy or two)
7. Blast Heavy Metal and head-bang all day!
8. PAINTBALL!
9. Go to the cinema
10. YOUUUUUUTUUUUUBE!

Screw what people think, have fun and be yourself!

Do whatever the fuck you want as an adult. Great thing about being an adult is you can just tell people to fuck off if they don't like your hobbies/job etc. My family still thinks I'm immature cause I refuse to watch football, drink beer and talk about "The good ol' days". Fuck that would bore me to tears. I'll stick with my games and reading tyvm.

Do get a job though. You may hate it, you may love it but for the love of god get a job. Nothing annoys me more than an adult who can and is able to work but wants to ride the welfare train a bit longer.

Pay bills and die.

And sweater-vests.

I love reading actual debates on how "adults" should act. My generation is being criticized by older adults for trying to be too much like "Peter Pan". Playing in bands, video games, still buying "action figures". Well, what about all those model airplane builders/fliers or people who build trains? At some point in time you gotta do something you enjoy. Even if it is childish to some. No use sucking all the fun outta life just to be considered an adult and have a serious life.

Murais:
Pay bills and die.

And sweater-vests.

To be fair sweater-vests makes anyone irresistible.

What woman wouldn't want a piece of that?

Pandabearparade:
Games of nude twister, dog walking, and competitive cupcake baking.

Bonus points for managing to do it all at the same time.

I'm now 26, and I spend a lot less time playing video games than I used to. What I do instead is try and further my career, and spend a lot more time with wife/friends/band. But I don't feel much different, except that I don't "waste" as much time.

Honestly, I think C S Lewis said it best:

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked