Poll: Babymetal

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

bluegate:
Well, I like them for what they are, an idol band with metal inspired music in the background, as such I don't expect too much from the music in terms of complexity or whatever. Their music is catchy, just like many other idol bands, and that is enough for me to give it a listen once in a while.

The music is generic and their vocals are out of place and more annoying than catchy.

I'm not a big fan of growling, but Galmet does the "cute girls do metal" thing so much better.

Or for that matter:

Mersadeon:
Anyone got any other links that don't go through youtube? Germany unfortunately is still plagued by the bane of my god damn existence, GEMA, so I can't watch it (yes, I know there are plugins to get around that, but this isn't my PC so I can't install anything). I don't think I'm going to like it, but I wanna try.

http://www.youtubeunblocker.org/permalink.php?url=xIQ0pQ5KYfPxWSu2MueIUEqG6h4V1AQY88f71wGygrVNnncI9XHorwkjLrWq2QDMSDqssfL5OFSI2SOmS5wfzg%3D%3D

youtubeunblocker.org helps in most cases.

Anyway: Heard a lot better. Their voices clash with the rest of the track. It is not something I could listen longer to

It wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't particularly bad either. Not the best metal I've heard but not the worst; though to be fair I really don't have that high of standards. I'll openly enjoy the "generic sounding" metal if it sounds good to me. However, the auto-tune in the vocals is annoyingly blatant. At least in the second song you posted (the one I started with). The auto-tune in the first and third wasn't as obvious/annoying, though the first song was just plain annoying anyway.

So overall, meh. Nothing particularly grabbing enough for me want to look deeper into it. Neat idea though. I'd be interesting to see other people who did something similar but better. Just not right now. Now I'm feeling some nightwish.

The third one's opening sounds a bit like Malize Mizer, bbbbbut that's about it.

The second one is okay, generic but doesn't grind my gears as bad (you see the Stockholm Syndrome kicking in yet?)

I prefer not to talk about the first one.

Anyway, I am sorry about the rest of your career, rest-of-the-band.

On the scale of soups, I rate it the Campbell tincan cream of chicken. Really high in sodium, not really much of anything interesting.

dafuq did I just watch?

Seriously though, it's Jpop over a Metal background and I ... have no real problem with that. Not my thing. Not horrifying, but I wouldn't listen to it either. It's a silly, but potentially amusing gimmick and some people might like that. If it gets them out of pure pop and into actual rock or metal, good by me.

I really don't care what your entry drug is.

Also, I will ask this, and this is a serious question for the metal heads: why in hell do you actually like the gravelly incoherent lyric style? I was looking at the video for Galmet and it reminded me of a lot of metal bands popping up in the mid to late '90's and which have appeared to have assumed the primary definition of "metal" now. Even Dethklok is more coherent than a lot of this.

Not criticizing, asking honestly because I don't get it. I always enjoy having good singers with actual tone and melodies, which used to be a part of the metal scene (no, I'm not referencing glamhairshit from the '80s), but this seems to be the accepted go-to norm now?

On that note, I actually found the Bridear tracks above pretty great.

Alarien:
dafuq did I just watch?

Seriously though, it's Jpop over a Metal background and I ... have no real problem with that. Not my thing. Not horrifying, but I wouldn't listen to it either. It's a silly, but potentially amusing gimmick and some people might like that. If it gets them out of pure pop and into actual rock or metal, good by me.

Also, I will ask this, and this is a serious question for the metal heads: why in hell do you actually like the gravelly incoherent lyric style? I was looking at the video for Galmet and it reminded me of a lot of metal bands popping up in the mid to late '90's and which have appeared to have assumed the primary definition of "metal" now. Even Dethklok is more coherent than a lot of this.

Not criticizing, asking honestly because I don't get it. I always enjoy having good singers with actual tone and melodies, which used to be a part of the metal scene (no, I'm not referencing glamhairshit from the '80s), but this seems to be the accepted go-to norm now?

I'm really not a metal head, I don't like the gravel voice either.
That said I don't think it's fair to comment on Galmet's coherency unless you speak Japanese (which you could! I don't know you!).

I'm not against yelling but I just hate that parrot squawking metal where every word is chirped out with a short grunt.

Machine Head is probably my favourite metal band and I think they strike a good balance.

I must be doing something wrong. I fell from metal into folk, from Disturbed to Frank Turner. This stuff just doesnt float my boat.

I "like" them in a sort of "lol what on earth is this?" kind of way. The music itself isn't good, but the sheer novelty and surrealism of it all makes it entertaining. I like how the Japanese mix and match music genres we consider separate in the West-Sometimes it works and sometimes it's doesn't though. I think in the first video around 2:50 ish it sounded like something interesting was about to happen instrumentally but I was left disappointed. The dancing is the only good part of it all really.

Alarien:

Hey, not all fans of metal music like growling and screaming vocals! :P

There are plenty of metal bands out there which don't use growling/screaming vocals. Most of these are power metal bands like Helloween or Gamma Ray, but there are other bands from other genres like Delain, Iron Maiden or Ayreon which have "clean" vocals. There are also a lot of bands which sort of do a mixture of both (Eluveite or Die Apokalyptischen Reiter for instance) which can be quite infuriating for me when i'm listening to a song i'm enjoying then they suddenly the vocals become too growly for my taste.

There's also plenty of bands which have a sort of deep, growly vocal style but don;t go the whole hog- e.g- Rammstein or Alestorm. Those I like but I imagine to most people their vocal style is too extreme.

I personally can't understand the appeal the growly or screamy vocals, but If I was to make a guess I think it adds a sense of "power" and depth to the music which compliments the style of the music. I personally don't like it generally but each to their own I guess.

I've heard some of their stuff and enjoy it. Then again, I'm a fan of J-Rock, J-Pop, Visual Kei, etc...Good as they are, they're no Seikima II:

As someone who listens exclusively to thrash, black, doom, death and traditional metal:

They can perform, but that doesn't stop the two-chord riffs and the completely inappropriate vocals (voice and lyrics-pacing) from making me pause the video.

That was ass. And nothing particularly new. I wish I could remember which song the chorus of "Give me Choco" was taken from, because I'd rather listen to that. It's almost verbatim, melody and structure wise.

Ill be honest, they don't actually sound much different from the generic metal you get these days. Death Metal verse, guitars tuned down to drop A and the gain pushed to max with no idea of tone, because it's SO HEAVY MAAAAN, and then a lifeless high pitch slow chorus. At least these lot have the excuse of being Japanese girls though. And hey there was actually a guitar solo! Because that's another thing that fucks me off, huge build up...and then back to the chorus! Where's the fucking guitar solo? Western metal bands that all follow this pattern? You're fucking SHITE!

Besides those bands can be easily ignored with one simple rule: If they have a phrase as a name they're likely crap. This has yet to fail me.

Alarien:
dafuq did I just watch?

Not a big fan of it either. I like bands that actually use it properly like "musically"; In Flames or Death (the originators of Death Metal) or Lamb of God and Amon Areth, but they don't go into warbling to the point of being incoherant to anyone without a lyric sheet, but I'm still more into sweeping vocals and more melodic music, especially if it's got symphonic elements. Stuff that sounds "epic", in the proper sense.

But you're right most bands just use it these days because it's so heavy man, mainly American bands or Metalcore. Nordic countries have the good stuff, both in terms of Death Metal, (though obviously if you're not into it, you're not into it) and that's where the best Metal comes from these days.

Alarien:

I don't. None of the bands I regularly listen to does that style of growls, and they are mostly from the 90/00s (think Soilwork, In Flames, Amaranthe, Delain, etc...)

Well, I'm glad to see that a lot of the metal fans here sort of mirror my thoughts on the incoherent growls. I don't mind low pitch/gravelly, though I'm not a fan particularly. However, the completely incoherent ones really boggle me.

On the subject of Galmet, I actually am not fluent and don't speak Japanese. However, I listen to Japanese almost daily. I can hear the language and am pretty adept at breaking up the word structure and being able to repeat it. Not the same as fluency, but I can certainly "hear Jimmy" in that respect. I wasn't a fan of her vocals, so much.

Again, I really don't have anything against it, but it's not my thing. I just like good rock music, and good metal is just a genre within good rock.

Well, I have just found the music to play if I ever want to drive metalhead friends to madness.

I can't help but imagining them as an enemy faction in Brütal Legend 2...

On the plus side, I've now learned a new thing. On the minus side, what I learned is that this genre of music exists and apparently sells. Oh well.

I'm honestly starting to long for the days of Milli Vanilli. Sure they were lip synching, but at least that meant that the people singing pop music were actually professional singers as opposed to auto-tuned models.

Not really metal but pop and that is okay. I like it, at least not as boring as most metal.

Alarien:
Well, I'm glad to see that a lot of the metal fans here sort of mirror my thoughts on the incoherent growls. I don't mind low pitch/gravelly, though I'm not a fan particularly. However, the completely incoherent ones really boggle me.

On the subject of Galmet, I actually am not fluent and don't speak Japanese. However, I listen to Japanese almost daily. I can hear the language and am pretty adept at breaking up the word structure and being able to repeat it. Not the same as fluency, but I can certainly "hear Jimmy" in that respect. I wasn't a fan of her vocals, so much.

Again, I really don't have anything against it, but it's not my thing. I just like good rock music, and good metal is just a genre within good rock.

Personally my favorite is when the vocalist is a good singer, it can be rough and throaty, and preferably have some power behind it, but it should be song. I'm very particular about vocals.
Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzFkc7Z2YOQ (Tad Morose, singer Urban Breed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHoBTccNe4g (Bloodbound, again Urban Breed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNimW2q1yRU (Trail of Murder, more Urban Breed!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpV8MkSMLU4 (Evergrey, Tom S Englund, probably the most emotional voice on the list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yERGl9VQ5E (WASP, Blackie Lawless)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1gwChhq7xQ (Stride, Gary Belin, possibly the most flexible/highest range on the list)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeuVrA9FsdA (Iron Savior, Piet Sielck)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3moLkjvhEu0 (Disturbed, David Draiman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2A-mmzKlY (Sebastian Bach, possibly his only good song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHNEJVM-GA (Russel Allen & Jorn Lande, they can get a bit AoR)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTfktXzPkc (Pyramaze, Lance King)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7r31QxIS0 (Kamelot, Roy Khan)

And of course the ladies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLBktjh_N8 (Nightwish, Tarja Turunen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wt9kLexnM (Within Temptation, Sharon den Adel)

Eh, yeah. That was ... something, I think.

I'm suddenly getting images in my head of those whispy girls crowdsurfing and moshing in a wall of death. It's at the same time hilarious and terrifying. I'm also thinking that depending on who their audience is, they'd get snapped in half, molested or possibly both.

Entirely meh. The music itself is okay, I suppose (just seems like generic metalcore/aggro-thrash stuff, tbh). The vocals don't really work for me, though. They are just too... Cute, most of the time. And it is really jarring to hear that with the music.

Basically... If I want to listen to an all-girl japanese metal band, I will listen to Gallhammer, thank you very much. XD

EDIT: Lol, double post. Please remove.

Well, that was odd. I voted "Gimmicky" in the poll. That's not necessarily a bad thing, GWAR is wonderfully ridiculous, but these girls just seem to be dancers who happen to sing in front of some dudes making generic metal riffs. Definitely had some catchy bits, but Japanese cutesy girls singing over metal is not exactly my favorite thing.

Ah, this. I don't like it because it's good, but it's ridiculous and hilarious. I'd genuinely love to see them play a festival like Bloodstock or Sonisphere, it would be a great laugh.

At the first song I was like image

The third song wasn't as terrible, but still just run-of-the mill absolutely totally mediocre tripe.

But that first song! It sounds like something out of a surreal comedy anime parodying metal with cutesy chibi girls. Oh Japan, never change!

Esotera:
It all sounds pretty manufactured. Sort of like someone figured out a relatively metal riff but then repeated it twenty times instead of altering it, and shoved some pop-singing on top.

Welcome to modern music. I was going to say I don't see how there's a market for garbage like this, but then there's the OP so maybe I should ask him.

In brief: this stuff is music, taken and beaten to a pulp, flattened and mauled then shoved down a tube and left for dead in an alleyway, then picked up in a fancy limo and dressed up to look like something of actual substance by people who can't tell the difference and can't look past surface appearances.

Cerebrawl:

Oh, now those ladies have my respect. THAT is metal(to me)! Girls roaring in metal is pretty hot... combining that with the melodic singing is wonderful. And they can play their instruments. Not that I dislike the Babymetal in the op, but I'd rather this.

Not really my thing, i don't like pop music very much and this looks like pop music thats pretending to be something else. Then again i'm not a big fan of metal and i never even considered listening to Japanese music so what do i know.. Maximum the hormone is actually pretty good, wouldn't put their songs on my playlist, but they rocked the intro for 'Death note'.

Nopes no a fan at all...i just can't even comprehend what makes this stuff good, but if it floats your boat mate then you rock on regardless dude.

Seems like everyone's reaction is, "WTF did I just watch?"
Which seems a little weird to me because on the Guitar World, Metal Hammer and Metal Injection facebook posts about it, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. And yeah, a lot of the "WTF did I just watch?" stuff too.

mitchell271:
Considering that we're all a bunch of nerds here, a lot of us are metalheads and a good chunk of us also watch anime or listen to JPop, I have to ask everyone, what do you think of the band Babymetal? For the uninitiated, they're a metal band made of 3 teenage girls that are also Japanese models/idols and they make something they coined as "kawaii metal". Yes, this is a real thing.

Here are a few songs to show what kind of stuff they do.

If you can't tell, I really like them! I heard of them a couple of months ago but they never really grabbed my attention. Now that I've actually listened to a couple of songs, I'm completely hooked. Hell, I already bought their album on iTunes and it was only released today. And now it's top of the Canadian iTunes metal chart! HOLY SHIT

It's not pure trash, but if you want to hear a Japanese band do metal better, try Blood Stain Child. Their album, Epsilon, was quite good. Screaming vocals mixed with clean vocals. This is quite similar except Blood Stain Child does the Melodic Death Metal/Electronic Death Metal (yes they are considered that) a bit better. They sound similar to In Flames, but I dig the fact that they have a mix of heavy and beautiful vocals.

Oh, and I am traditionally a death metal fan. Love Cryptopsy, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Bloodbath and other stuff like Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad.

Here's a link to a Blood Stain Child track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djLJt_HFfX4

Here it is for the lazy folk not willing to open another tab...

Sounds like something from the soundtrack of No More Heroes or something.

I'm not really much a fan of JPop or Metal, but I think I like them merged more than I like them separate for what it's worth.

Well that was a thing... but like literally the only thing I even thought twice about was the Serial Experiment Lain reference? in the beginning of the first song... like a completely pointless reference...<.>

I have probably disliked 95% of all japanese bands i have ever heard
Japanese is a horrible language for singing, more so if you pandemically try to sound like children because OMIGOD SO CUTE

MeTalHeD:

mitchell271:
Considering that we're all a bunch of nerds here, a lot of us are metalheads and a good chunk of us also watch anime or listen to JPop, I have to ask everyone, what do you think of the band Babymetal? For the uninitiated, they're a metal band made of 3 teenage girls that are also Japanese models/idols and they make something they coined as "kawaii metal". Yes, this is a real thing.

Here are a few songs to show what kind of stuff they do.

If you can't tell, I really like them! I heard of them a couple of months ago but they never really grabbed my attention. Now that I've actually listened to a couple of songs, I'm completely hooked. Hell, I already bought their album on iTunes and it was only released today. And now it's top of the Canadian iTunes metal chart! HOLY SHIT

It's not pure trash, but if you want to hear a Japanese band do metal better, try Blood Stain Child. Their album, Epsilon, was quite good. Screaming vocals mixed with clean vocals. This is quite similar except Blood Stain Child does the Melodic Death Metal/Electronic Death Metal (yes they are considered that) a bit better. They sound similar to In Flames, but I dig the fact that they have a mix of heavy and beautiful vocals.

Oh, and I am traditionally a death metal fan. Love Cryptopsy, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Bloodbath and other stuff like Meshuggah and Strapping Young Lad.

Here's a link to a Blood Stain Child track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djLJt_HFfX4

Here it is for the lazy folk not willing to open another tab...

Now that's not bad. Definitely something I could listen to, unlike the band in the OP.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked