61.4% (51)
61.4% (51)
No
36.1% (30)
36.1% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do U Liek Gunz?

Pages PREV 1 2

I've fired off a shotgun a few times (some variety of a Remington, if I remember correctly) and I've also shot a crossbow and a few different kinds of pellet and air rifles.

They were all interesting experiences and I'd recommend trying it at least once, but I generally don't have any desire to do it again. I probably would if the opportunity came up just for shiggles, but I don't ever intend to own a gun so it isn't like I am actively looking to fire one off some more.

I like shooting guns, have owned some for several years and plan to buy more. My Avatar is my first handgun a P99

Yes, I do. I skeet and trap shoot and go to the range often during the warmer parts of the year. It's a decently big part of my life.

Yes, I do like guns. My favorite gun of all time would have to be the Sturmgewehr 44, because it is sexy and changed the face of warfare.

Skullkid4187:
Yes, I do like guns. My favorite gun of all time would have to be the Sturmgewehr 44, because it is sexy and changed the face of warfare.

Yeah I like that one too, I especially like the video interview with Mikhail Khalasnikov when it was suggested that the AK-47 and MP44 look a lot a like. If you ever want to see a Russian get angry that is a funny example.

Seekster:

Skullkid4187:

Yeah I like that one too, I especially like the video interview with Mikhail Khalasnikov when it was suggested that the AK-47 and MP44 look a lot a like. If you ever want to see a Russian get angry that is a funny example.

I'll have to check that out, sounds like it could be very funny!

luckycharms8282:
I personally dont like guns. It seems to me that the second amendment is obsolete, seeing as we have a trained military and are no longer in need of a militia/minutemen force. If I were king of the country I'd ban them.

I do know a lot of friends who collect and shoot guns on a regular basis. I myself enjoy shooting skeet with shotguns. Except for rifles and shotguns for hunting, I dont see why it's necessary for civilians to have assault rifles.

So what happens if that military turns those same guns towards us? The point of the second amendment is not only for self defense, but to ensure that the populace can be well armed to overthrow a tyrannical government if necessary.

Skullkid4187:

Seekster:

Skullkid4187:

I'll have to check that out, sounds like it could be very funny!

"They are totally different! It is a completely different design! The AK-47 has nothing in common with the german gun!"

I think he gets pissed like that because yes the guns do look a lot alike but the internal workings are very different. Also there are a lot of unsubstantiated rumors that captured german weapons experts contributed more to the AK-47 than MK is willing to admit. Either way he is still a brilliant designer and the AK-47 and its spin-offs remain arguably the best and most reliable all around assault rifle.

luckycharms8282:
If I were king of the country I'd ban them.

Ya know, there's something VERY telling about that sentence alone. If I were a unelected ruler, I'd ban my subjects from having weapons too. I know it's not your intent, but still. It makes a point that I doubt you intended.

everythingbeeps:

Seekster:

everythingbeeps:
Nope. Would be perfectly happy to see them all banned. Unless you have to hunt for food and would starve without them. Beyond that....no reason to own them.

So if someone has no reason to own something you support banning them from owning it at all? Surely that isnt what you mean so please clarify your statement because as it stands it sounds like you are in favor of banning guns because there is no reasons to own them.

Oh, it's not just that there's no reason to own them, it's also because there's a ton of reasons NOT to. And the only defense most gun-owners have is "the 2nd amendment says I can!"

They don't need them for protection. They don't need them for sport-hunting. And they don't need them for collecting purposes. Hell, they don't even need them to hunt for food! That was a little bone I threw there before, but I'm taking it back.

Personal protection? That's why I plan on owning guns. In every state but Illinois, you can carry one for personal protection.

Also, the only things we "need" to do are consume nutrients and expel waste. The rest is optional.

If you have a twitter, I recommend following the NRANews. They tweet stories about people using guns in self-defense, or stories where people simply banishing weapons scares criminals off.

Do I like guns? HECK YEA! I will most likely own one when I am older, and being in a rural area, guns are a thing you NEVER get away from. Protection from Wolves, coyotes, and the occasional idiot robber who doesnt understand that rural areas usually have more firepower than most armies.

Do I support gun ownership? ALSO HECK YEA! While I dont see the reason people need to own, say, an M60, the odds of someone owning one outside of a collection is slim, due to the price of ammo, price of gun, and price of maintianance.

Seekster:
I don't own one myself but as a military historian the sheer variety, function, and evolution of the gun fascinates me. What can I say, I geek out over military hardware.

i know what you mean. ive never served in the military, never held let alone fired one, i have no interest in doing that. yet i run a website devoted to military history and related period documents including manuals :-| weird but true

Love them and dearly wish I was able to purchase some (cash concerns aside, I live in Australia which has very strict laws on the matter).

Despite my support of the second amendmet and gun ownership, i actually dont like guns. I dont think it should be this easy to kill someone. Back in the days before, to even use a sword or bow required strength and to use it with an ounce of effectiveness required practice. They werent something you could simply pick up and go on a spree with.

However, guns are a reality, they're here and they're not going away, so i intend to get one and learn to use it. Im already a pretty damn good shot with a rifle.

ShadowKatt:
Despite my support of the second amendmet and gun ownership, i actually dont like guns. I dont think it should be this easy to kill someone. Back in the days before, to even use a sword or bow required strength and to use it with an ounce of effectiveness required practice. They werent something you could simply pick up and go on a spree with.

Er, a bow, certainly not, but a sword you could.

It took skill to use one properly, but against someone else untrained and unarmed, it'd be effective enough.

Now, against a group of people, you'd have problems.

thaluikhain:

ShadowKatt:

It took skill to use one properly, but against someone else untrained and unarmed, it'd be effective enough.

Well, as I said(and I was posting from my phone so I didn't want to elaborate. I shall now with proper punctuation) both of those items require a certain amount of strength to use. A child is going to have a hard time drawing a 30-45 pound light hunting bow, even moreso if it's a recurve and not a compound to say nothing of the size differences at play. The same goes for a sword; those bloody things are HEAVY and actually rather unweildly if you haven't handled them a great deal. There's a certain amount of strength and finesse that goes into using one. Now, that's not to say that if someone just stands there and takes it or is, say, sleeping that it couldn't be deadly in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, but odds are they're more a danger to themselves if they can even be a danger at all.

However, we live in the modern day where gunpowder lead a revolution over steel and here we are. Guns are superiour, yes, however I'd argue almost too much so. It's far too easy for someone riding on the high of a good wave of anger, maybe a kid is mad because someone took his toy, maybe a girlfriend is in a rage over being dumped, that these people having never even touched a gun before could pick it up, point, and shoot. And there you have someone dead. The easier it is to kill someone the more of a disconnection there is to the deed, and guns have made it very, very easy to kill each other. That's what I don't like about them most of all. However, they are a very real part of our world and as I said, I have my eye on a gun myself (a 4-10 revolver of all things, who knew they made them?) that I intend to get, and qualify for a CCP with. But it's a tool, and should the need arise I want to have the right tool for the right job. Doesn't mean I'll love the thing, but I fully agree on with having the right and duty to know what it is, how to use it, and to have it just in case.

ShadowKatt:
Well, as I said(and I was posting from my phone so I didn't want to elaborate. I shall now with proper punctuation) both of those items require a certain amount of strength to use. A child is going to have a hard time drawing a 30-45 pound light hunting bow, even moreso if it's a recurve and not a compound to say nothing of the size differences at play. The same goes for a sword; those bloody things are HEAVY and actually rather unweildly if you haven't handled them a great deal. There's a certain amount of strength and finesse that goes into using one. Now, that's not to say that if someone just stands there and takes it or is, say, sleeping that it couldn't be deadly in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing, but odds are they're more a danger to themselves if they can even be a danger at all.

However, we live in the modern day where gunpowder lead a revolution over steel and here we are. Guns are superiour, yes, however I'd argue almost too much so. It's far too easy for someone riding on the high of a good wave of anger, maybe a kid is mad because someone took his toy, maybe a girlfriend is in a rage over being dumped, that these people having never even touched a gun before could pick it up, point, and shoot. And there you have someone dead. The easier it is to kill someone the more of a disconnection there is to the deed, and guns have made it very, very easy to kill each other. That's what I don't like about them most of all. However, they are a very real part of our world and as I said, I have my eye on a gun myself (a 4-10 revolver of all things, who knew they made them?) that I intend to get, and qualify for a CCP with. But it's a tool, and should the need arise I want to have the right tool for the right job. Doesn't mean I'll love the thing, but I fully agree on with having the right and duty to know what it is, how to use it, and to have it just in case.

I agree totally about the firearms, but still disagree about the swords. They are designed to kill people, after all, and plenty of people get murdered by random heavy objects the attacker happened to have handy.

Certainly, a bit of effort is involved, more than pulling a trigger, but it wouldn't be that difficult.

renegade7:
Gonna quote Burn Notice on this:

"Don't fight with guns. Guns make you stupid. Better to fight with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart."

Hahaha, I love that quote.

OT: No, I do not like guns. Like others before me, I shall choose not to elaborate as a gun-debate will end badly for all participants and passing forum-goers.

Not particularly. I do enjoy learning about them and their history, learning little bits about how said gun was altered over time to become what it is. Heck, now and again I actually like firing them at ranges, although I don't hunt. However, my f*cking twat of a neighbour seems to think going outside every single f*cking day and downing a 6-pack before firing off his shotgun for an hour is not an obnoxious thing to do and that nobody around him has animals that freak out at the sound of a gun. This not just applying to my dogs but also to the cows across the street that will go berserk at the constant BANG! sounds.

I respect the technology of a gun and still find some of them to be marvels of engineering but they kinda have a "Knights who say 'NI'" effect, if that makes any sense.

thaluikhain:

ShadowKatt:

Crossbows are a different story.

The reason they basically stopped using the Longbow outside of Britian was because it takes very little training to use a crossbow, while it takes a life time to train a good bowman. Repeating crossbows were popular in the East, which required even less training to use (just point in the enemies general direction and move a lever up and down). Human warfare would most likely be revolving around some kind of repeating crossbow if guns were never developed.

Not G. Ivingname:
Crossbows are a different story.

The reason they basically stopped using the Longbow outside of Britian was because it takes very little training to use a crossbow, while it takes a life time to train a good bowman. Repeating crossbows were popular in the East, which required even less training to use (just point in the enemies general direction and move a lever up and down). Human warfare would most likely be revolving around some kind of repeating crossbow if guns were never developed.

I agree with that, except about the repeating crossbow bit.

The power you get out of the crossbow is proportional to the power you put into it. You can improve this by reducing the inefficiency of the device to some extent, though.

In any case, a repeating crossbow cocked and fired with a flick of the wrist is going to propel the bolt with very little force, if you have to stop and put lots of effort into it, you can fire a heavier bolt much further with more power.

Repeating crossbows might look cool and all, but IMHO, they aren't militarily all that useful, though you can improve this by poisoning the bolts.

Personally, I think if firearms weren't invented, people would have developed more compressed air guns, such things were somewhat popular, being more accurate than firearms for a while, but more complicated to construct.

thaluikhain:
Personally, I think if firearms weren't invented, people would have developed more compressed air guns, such things were somewhat popular, being more accurate than firearms for a while, but more complicated to construct.

Now this I find to be much more interesting a discussion than actual firearms, hypothetical weapons history. Makes me wonder, though: We currently have prototype Coilguns/Gaussguns and people are still researching them (even looking for civilian or less directly militaristic applications, like shooting supplies over large distances). I wonder whether such research would've occurred earlier had we not achieved proficiency with firearms.

Katatori-kun:

The Gentleman:

renegade7:
Gonna quote Burn Notice on this:

"Don't fight with guns. Guns make you stupid. Better to fight with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart."

I want that on a shirt.

I like guns in the mechanical curiosity that comes with catapults, cannons, C4, and refrigerators. And, just to spark this powder keg, I'm supportive of laws such as the ones in the UK, Australia, and Japan that place a de facto ban on the use and sale of firearms.

Very much this. Back when I imagined I would be a sci-fi writer I enjoyed learning about guns, especially state-of-the-art developments in firearms. But I wouldn't like to own one and don't think I would enjoy using one.

I'm more keen on projectiles that use basic mechanical principles. I would love to have the time to practice archery, or even javelin throwing, would love to learn horse archery, and my secret dream is to own a small ballista. I will take it up to the roof of my apartment building and shoot nasty Japanese food like wads of uni or natto at the houses of people I don't like. And it will be awesome, because they were fired by torsion. Not tension.

I'll cast my vote with you chaps as well; guns are interesting in historical, engineering, or fictional contexts, but I have no desire to possess the power to end a life so casually, and I'm glad that the place I live has laws which make running into those who do less likely.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked