So...Global politics.

Pages PREV 1 2

dyre:

TheIronRuler:

I need to stress the fact that we've gone off-topic here. Interesting discussion all in all. If you want to continue with it, either run it with me through PMs or start a thread about the cold war and European super-powers... IN THE OFF-TOPIC SUB-FORUM! MUAAHAHA!

Sonuva--

Alternately, you could just accept the superiority of my argument and get rid of all the nonsense about the US/USSR pacifying superpowers in the first post. It's pure conspiracy talk, I tell you!

Anyway, good chat and all. I declare myself the winner, unless you want to challenge that through PMs :D

Victory is mine!

...Any other bone to pick with my OP? Maybe you want to bring something new to the table?

TheIronRuler:

dyre:

TheIronRuler:

I need to stress the fact that we've gone off-topic here. Interesting discussion all in all. If you want to continue with it, either run it with me through PMs or start a thread about the cold war and European super-powers... IN THE OFF-TOPIC SUB-FORUM! MUAAHAHA!

Sonuva--

Alternately, you could just accept the superiority of my argument and get rid of all the nonsense about the US/USSR pacifying superpowers in the first post. It's pure conspiracy talk, I tell you!

Anyway, good chat and all. I declare myself the winner, unless you want to challenge that through PMs :D

Victory is mine!

...Any other bone to pick with my OP? Maybe you want to bring something new to the table?

Well, the Russia and Iran taking over the world theory is a little weird, and Russia is yesterday's news compared to China, but the future's been known to be pretty unpredictable, so I won't bother you about that.

As for the UN being useless, I dunno, they do some good work helping developing nations with agricultural / economic development, and it's a good platform for conversation. The UN helped end the Suez Crisis, no? I mean, the existence of the UN helped facilitate conversation between the US/USSR and England/France/Israel.

You just can't look at them like they're a force that can actually stop conflict, that's all. It's almost laughable how those Congo rebels are able to keep pushing back the UN peacekeeping force in the region.

Russia and Iran taking over the world...

How? I've heard about the possibility of Iran developing nuclear weapons, but loads of nations have 'em already, so it doesn't sound like a big thing to me.

As for Russia, sure it has plenty of people, but I don't think it's very rich for its' size, it might have a load of cold war hardware, but I doubt much of that's in decent condition any more.

The way I see it, the "easiest" way of achieving world domination would be to become CEO of a massive international corporation, then get together with a load of other similar people, form a little cabal, board, or society, make yourself chairman, and then influence the worlds' governments, press, banks and so forth in secret.

I don't think this has happened yet, because they would probably keep the economy healthy so that there's more wealth to get from the world.

dyre:

TheIronRuler:

dyre:

Sonuva--

Victory is mine!

Well, the Russia and Iran taking over the world theory is a little weird, and Russia is yesterday's news compared to China, but the future's been known to be pretty unpredictable, so I won't bother you about that.

As for the UN being useless, I dunno, they do some good work helping developing nations with agricultural / economic development, and it's a good platform for conversation. The UN helped end the Suez Crisis, no? I mean, the existence of the UN helped facilitate conversation between the US/USSR and England/France/Israel.

You just can't look at them like they're a force that can actually stop conflict, that's all. It's almost laughable how those Congo rebels are able to keep pushing back the UN peacekeeping force in the region.

Nein! It wasn't what I meant. Iran is only pushing for a regional power as it can't touch Sunni Religious governments without getting burnt. Russia's still afloat, hell they still have an autocracy. China has interests elsewhere - in fact, those sneaky bastards had been exporting their business practices to Africa and their neighbors so they can wring out more profit and resources from these areas. It's like colonization - but barely legal!

So? The same could have been done with giving the UK/France/Israel an ultimatum, similar to the one Poland gave to Lithuania threatening it with war. Not League of Nations there.

Coppernerves:
Russia and Iran taking over the world...

How? I've heard about the possibility of Iran developing nuclear weapons, but loads of nations have 'em already, so it doesn't sound like a big thing to me.

As for Russia, sure it has plenty of people, but I don't think it's very rich for its' size, it might have a load of cold war hardware, but I doubt much of that's in decent condition any more.

The way I see it, the "easiest" way of achieving world domination would be to become CEO of a massive international corporation, then get together with a load of other similar people, form a little cabal, board, or society, make yourself chairman, and then influence the worlds' governments, press, banks and so forth in secret.

I don't think this has happened yet, because they would probably keep the economy healthy so that there's more wealth to get from the world.

*sobs*
That's not what I said!
God damn it. Look up at my response to dyre.

TheIronRuler:

So... what DOES the UN do nowadays? I can't say it doesn't do any good - I would be lying. The UN had its successes, I will give it that. The codifying of the status of refugees and their treatment, for example, were pioneered by the League of Nations and later (most of the work was done by) the UN. It has human rights organizations and aid organizations that help many people in need (they are mostly funded by UN member states).

This is Global Politics as I see it. There are a shitload of details I missed like the current role of China in the world, which is another emerging Regional power who will graduate to Great power in a few years (or already have done so, I may be mistaken). Feel free to criticize me, add your own opinion on the matter, debate stuff, etc.

Now, to be fair, the fact that human right organization are funded by "UN member States" kind of loses means when all but one (the Vatican) of the commonly accept nations of the world is a member of the UN. The few nations that are not part of the UN besides Vatican city, such as Palestine and Taiwan, are not considered nations by the majority of the other nations of the planet. These human right organizations do not get their funding from nations because of the UN, but because the UN includes just about every nation on the planet. There is few other places to be able to get funding. I would also point out, the largest humanitarian organization in the world, the Red Cross, actually doesn't get it's funding from nations, but solely through private means (it was founded by several rich guys in Switzerland in the 19 century), although I am not entirely sure how their funding works.

Taiwan also shows the problems of multinational governments. Taiwan (or Republic of China, one of the five founding members of the UN) was not only a full member, but was a permanent member of the security council. Then China (or People's Republic of China) started to adopt capitalism and the UN screwed over the tiny island to accept the single party state as the "sole legal authority over China and the island of Taiwan" basically overnight, without any court for them to appeal to.

The main problem is that the UN is rigged to give all the power to the "super-powers" that founded it (US, Britain, France, Russia, and China), and none of these nations trust the other in the slightest. Nothing can be done or ever is done if, for any reason, one of these super powers objects to it. It also gives more legitemency to any dictatorship or authoritarian state that is a member of the UN (North Korea, Zimbabiway, etc).

I just seen that the UN was good at it's job, and what good it does is balanced by the problems it increases or creates.

Not G. Ivingname:

These human right organizations do not get their funding from nations because of the UN, but because the UN includes just about every nation on the planet. There is few other places to be able to get funding. I would also point out, the largest humanitarian organization in the world, the Red Cross, actually doesn't get it's funding from nations, but solely through private means (it was founded by several rich guys in Switzerland in the 19 century), although I am not entirely sure how their funding works.

This is false. The Red Cross does in fact get funding from states and international organisations, as well as private means. It's done entirely voluntarily. The UN has that, and mandatory funding arrangements from member states on top of that, based on their ability to pay.

The IFRC is indeed the largest organisation, but that shouldn't reflect on relative budgetary arrangements, because it's (almost) all volunteers, while the UN is mostly (although not exclusively) professionals, and it doesn't really have volunteer opportunities for unskilled individuals (even the volunteer placements require BAs+Experience!). The UN also has a broader and more technical set of obligations.

The main problem is that the UN is rigged to give all the power to the "super-powers" that founded it (US, Britain, France, Russia, and China), and none of these nations trust the other in the slightest. Nothing can be done or ever is done if, for any reason, one of these super powers objects to it.

This is also false. The Security Council can only block resolutions related to international security.

The rest of your post is reasonable though.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked