Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church: Solutions?

Pages PREV 1 2

I think it starts with the parents and whether or not they trust a priest, I mean just because he has a collar and a bible doesn't mean he is a good guy.

Besides that the church needs to man up and admit it's mistakes and go after the pedophiles, I wanna say they've been doing that in recent years and turning them into the cops but it wasn't until very recently. Before that they just shuffled the priest to a new church so he could victimize someone else. It's like someone from an HR department completely ignoring the sexual advances made by an employee and then are surprised when you get a fuck ton of lawsuits against the company, you stood by and did nothing which mad eit seem like it was alright.

Verbatim:

I think you really don't understand how confidentiality works, or why is it in place.
Doctor-Patient confidentiality has nothing to do with ones health, you health is not effected in any way. It's there so your personal health information cannot be used against you, and so people would feel comfortable going to a doctor even for "humiliating" not to mention potentially life changing conditions.
The same lines go for most other confidentiality agreements, such as lawyers, social workers, psychologists, and priests.
That said in most countries if you tell some one that you are about to commit a crime, or they believe that you pose a danger to your self or society, they can report you with out "violating" any laws.

Isn't that pretty much what I said earlier? In my post that you quoted, I said priests shouldn't keep confidentiality, when I meant to say that they shouldn't refrain from reporting a crime on the basis of "he/she is trying to reform". The rest I agree with. The doctor-patient confidentiality is there so that you can tell the doctor anything that might help with treating your condition, and they will not be allowed to give testimony against you using that information, but they can alert the police in serious situations.

Also i don't get whats the obsession with the Catholic church, beyond the fact that even atheist expect more from a priest than from a regular Joe they are not doing any thing other organizations are not doing.
Schools, Summer Camps, Mental Hospitals and countless other organizations are also covering abuse cases when possible, every now and then you read some expose about some school, hospital or what ever covering abuse cases for years if not decades. The only thing that the Catholic or any other type of religious organizations have to their "benefit" is that they can more easily relocate the person in question any where in the world.

It's not an "obsession" with the catholic church, it's simply that of all the cases that were recently revealed with regards to child abuse by religious figures, the vast, vast majority were catholic. The others big players, Anglicans, Jews, Muslims, all had a number of cases too, but most were catholic (I apologize, I can't find the numbers for that. But it is widely reported in other countries as well, primarily catholic institutions again). THAT is why my focus is on the catholic church, as it should be. Additionally, we've also had a police report of 40 suicides directly related to sexual abuse from catholic clergy members, which were not reported: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/victoria/churchs-suicide-victims-20120412-1wwox.html

And sorry, but tu quoque just doesn't cut it. It is not acceptable for ANY organisation to do this, religious or not. The reason why this is such a big issue is because the catholic church is so entrenched in society. If it were nothing more than a school camp or something, it would be shut down, the perpetrators punished, end of story. But you can't just shut down the catholic church. It just won't work like that.

Also, please explain to me how expecting a priest to not abuse someone, or to not coverup a colleague abusing someone, is expecting more from a priest than a regular Joe? I'd go so far as to say that it is in fact exactly the same as what I'd expect from a regular Joe. That was a pretty silly thing to say.

That said any society which restricts healthy sexual behavior is prone to these problems, people need to relieve their sexual desires, when it's taboo they will be conditioned to do so in more controllable and "secretive" scenarios not to mention the longer those desires are bottled up the more time they have to be distorted from the norm.
Personally i don't see how any "investigation" by an outside organization would solve this problem, if any thing it might aggravate it in the long run by forcing the Catholic church or any other organization to close up even more.
The only real solution is an open dialog to reform the Church and other organizations, clerical marriage is accepted by many(Today i would say even most) religious sect, even some Catholic ones. The Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox churches need to just get with the program too..

I agree with the first part, but there has been plenty of time for the church to sort this shit out, but they haven't, and that's why we need an outside investigation. Again, we've had at least 40 suicides directly related to this, and i think that requires a little more than an open dialog.

Wombok:
Destroy the primitive institution and put its mass wealth to practical use.

itsthesheppy:
Everyone realizes that religion is silly and stops going to church, and sending their children to church. Remove any authority or respect from religious institutions.

That's my solution.

Schizocorpse:
Start prosecuting those who protect the offenders, strip the entire Vatican if you have to. Place should be turned into a museum anyway.

*sigh*

Who here DIDN'T see comments like these popping up the moment they read the thread's title?

Skeleon:
I'm absolutely opposed to observation/spying on confession booths. But sanctions on an organization that provably and repeatedly shuffles abusers around, protects them from investigation and so on? Yeah. Absolutely. Of course do the priests need to be punished, but it should be obvious that you can't allow an organization to - in an organized fashion - shield these priests, either.

Ditto on all accounts.

dyre:
The inviolability of confession thing is pretty much similar to doctor-patient confidentiality, isn't it? And do you think anyone would confess to a priest they knew were willing to talk to the police? I say keep the inviolability; getting rid of it doesn't really help, and it's something that millions of people probably treat as an equivalent of psychological support anyway.

In addition to being similar to the practiced tradition of doctor/patient confidentiality there is the tradition--and legally protected practice--of lawyers defending their clients even when they know and have private confessions/proof that their client is absolutely guilty of committing even the most heinous crimes.

And if a lawyer violates that lawyer/client confidentiality they are inevitably stripped of their legal license.

Not only would the legal profession fall apart if you removed that lawyer/client confidentiality but it would damage social stability in every nation.

Things get complexly involved when you pick and choose interfering with such similar and interwoven practices.

Who here remembers the movie The Devil's Advocate?

EDIT: I overlooked what you said here, Verbatim:

Verbatim:

I think you really don't understand how confidentiality works, or why is it in place.
Doctor-Patient confidentiality has nothing to do with ones health, you health is not effected in any way. It's there so your personal health information cannot be used against you, and so people would feel comfortable going to a doctor even for "humiliating" not to mention potentially life changing conditions.
The same lines go for most other confidentiality agreements, such as lawyers, social workers, psychologists, and priests.
That said in most countries if you tell some one that you are about to commit a crime, or they believe that you pose a danger to your self or society, they can report you with out "violating" any laws.

Obviously, I agree with you.

Let the sexually frustrated bastards jack their meat to some shotacon.

Religious figures molest people no more or less than normal folk, therefor the problem and solution do not lie solely on their shoulders.

afroebob:
Religious figures molest people no more or less than normal folk, therefor the problem and solution do not lie solely on their shoulders.

Statistics suggest this is not true. Most rape occurs by 'trusted' figures, like for instance priests. Also, conservative religious groups report higher rates of sexual abuse. A taboo on sex is openly named as a determinant for child abuse in criminological research.

Like for instance the recent sex abuse scandal sweeping the Jewish community in New York. Many accuse the victim and defend the abuser blindly. Such a reaction gives a priest or other religious figure committing a sex offense an enormous amount of power over victims, as victims are punished for pressing charges, and often are intimidated into silence. Short of being convicted in a court, there is nothing which can happen to a sexual predator abusing people in a conservative religious group.

Other people who might potentially commit a sex offense do not have that sort of power over their victims, and are thus less likely to offend.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked