21.4% (25)
Undecided
9.4% (11)
9.4% (11)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Does "reverse racism" bother you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Overhead:
If you don't like PoC/women/disabled people being given slight advantages in one or two stages of life (University applications and some jobs), the thing to do isn't to complain about it but to help get rid of the discrimination that PoC, women/disabled people face at every single other stage of their life which make these steps necessary.

You know, that zany idea just might work...

Sean Renaud:

generals3:
I despise "reverse racism" because it's racism but also fuels racism on both sides. Positive discrimination basically tells minorities that all white folks are racists and as such minorities are justified to hate us in return (so it creates racism among minorities) but on top of that it also fuels racism among them whities because they feel wronged.

It doesn't tell minorities that white folks are racists or that any hatred needs be involved. It does foster some hatred from whites who feel slighted but it seems that most of the people who are offended are going to be offended regardless so there is only so much to be done for it.

Sure it does tell minorities that. Because if we, evil whities, weren't all racist scumbags there would be no need for any kind of positive discrimination, right? You're basically sending the message we are assholes and need the law to force us not to act like assholes.

And you cannot just make the assumption that everyone who's offended by positive discrimination would be offended without it. Sure many probably would, but claiming "all" seems rather bold.

She actually looks sort of Nabooan.

generals3:

Sean Renaud:

generals3:
I despise "reverse racism" because it's racism but also fuels racism on both sides. Positive discrimination basically tells minorities that all white folks are racists and as such minorities are justified to hate us in return (so it creates racism among minorities) but on top of that it also fuels racism among them whities because they feel wronged.

It doesn't tell minorities that white folks are racists or that any hatred needs be involved. It does foster some hatred from whites who feel slighted but it seems that most of the people who are offended are going to be offended regardless so there is only so much to be done for it.

Sure it does tell minorities that. Because if we, evil whities, weren't all racist scumbags there would be no need for any kind of positive discrimination, right? You're basically sending the message we are assholes and need the law to force us not to act like assholes.

Hey? There's a big jump between saying "there's a problem" and "all of you must personally be responsible for this problem".

racism is racism, regardless of the source or intention, and it is just as wrong regardless of the current status of those affected. The fact that the only significant slave trade going on these days is based in Africa and SW Asia makes this prejudice against whites even less appropriate. If they really cared about slavery, they'd be speaking out against the Africans and Indians who "own" an estimated 20 million people right now, not going after individuals who's ancestors may or may not have been involved in such dealings in the past.

Take myself for instance, none of my known ancestors ever owned slaves. Some of them WERE slaves, yet I still get lumped into the "cracker" category with the rest of those of Caucasian descent.

thaluikhain:

generals3:

Sean Renaud:

Hey? There's a big jump between saying "there's a problem" and "all of you must personally be responsible for this problem".

Yes and no.

Positive discrimination is only an effective tool when the system as a whole has racist tendencies to work against, as it was when Affirmative Action was implemented. The moment racism ceased to be a driving force in people's mind, Affirmative Action lost its usefulness and became an unpleasant reminder that causes more resentment along racial boundaries than it solves.

To put it another way, minorities no longer need to be protected from those nasty minded whites, since those willing to cause issues are heavily in the minority themselves. But public policy keeps telling them that they still need aid.

evilthecat:
Racism was born in Europe and enforced, both intellectually and politically, on the rest of the world.

Perhaps scientific racism, but I can assure you that Tribe A was bashing Tribe B using their skin/hair/eye colour as identifying features since prehistory. There's no reason whatsoever to presume that xenophobia was a European invention.

"Black history" has reason to be critical of the racist origins of its "blackness", and thus, to its credit "black history" is (generally) not simply a regurgitation of weird claims about "what black people are like" or the "value" of being black or otherwise.

I thought Black History Month was intended to be a supplement or counterpoint to the Eurocentric history syllabuses in Euro/US schools. Certainly that makes sense as a way of making history apply personally to more people and also perhaps shining a light on some thorny social issues. [edit] Although, having worked in a few schools where both white and black kids were minorities after South Asians, the first point seems rather arse-about-tit. Where's the Indian History Month!?[/quote]

But even so, your statements about race are just weird. I know plenty of black people who self-identify as "black". It's not some horribly racist term with an innate and irreparable element of superiority/inferiority to it, it's just a broad descriptor of ethnicity.

If you want to talk about a thing called "white history" or "white culture", then you need to accept that you're talking about "whiteness" as a racial concept. That in itself is not a problem. Talking about race is not a problem for anyone. The belief in the existence of a thing called "race" isn't a big lie which we have to hush up in case it gives people the wrong idea. Race exists now. It exists in the sense that it's been a hugely important concept to our social interaction for hundreds of years and it still has a huge effect on our world. That's worth talking about. What's not worth talking about is how "proud" we all are of a term which was created to express a belief in inherent superiority and really has no other meaning outside of that context.

OK, what if instead we phrased it as "Pride in pan-European culture and accomplishment", would that be better? Is that allowed? Or could we just cut through the bullshit and admit that saying "white" is essentially the same thing, if we're talking about history up to the late 19th century?

Heronblade:

thaluikhain:

Yes and no.

Positive discrimination is only an effective tool when the system as a whole has racist tendencies to work against, as it was when Affirmative Action was implemented. The moment racism ceased to be a driving force in people's mind, Affirmative Action lost its usefulness and became an unpleasant reminder that causes more resentment along racial boundaries than it solves.

What, are you saying racism no longer exists in society?

thaluikhain:

Heronblade:

thaluikhain:

Yes and no.

What, are you saying racism no longer exists in society?

Obviously not, that would be ignorant at best. Racism will pretty much always exist in some form somewhere.

However, I am saying that it is no longer a statistically significant force in modern American society. There are, and always will be, holdouts, but at this point they will be more effectively dealt with by enforcing the standard anti discrimination laws, censure from their own peers, and by not giving them ammunition to fuel their prejudices such as Affirmative Action.

Heronblade:
However, I am saying that it is no longer a statistically significant force in modern American society.

I'm going to very strongly disagree with you here.

thaluikhain:

True but positive discrimination blows the problem out of proportion. It assumes that anyone who doesn't follow quota's (example) is discriminating. Which is obviously untrue. I think we would be better off just enforcing anti discrimination laws and let society evolve rather than fuel both sides with anger.

generals3:

thaluikhain:

True but positive discrimination blows the problem out of proportion. It assumes that anyone who doesn't follow quota's (example) is discriminating. Which is obviously untrue. I think we would be better off just enforcing anti discrimination laws and let society evolve rather than fuel both sides with anger.

Oh yes, it's certainly a crude and flawed solution, but anti-discrimination laws are difficult to get right, and aren't working if discrimination is widespread enough for AA to be an option.

I'm wary of anything that relies on waiting for society to improve. Now, of course, problems like this cannot be fixed overnight, but "improvement later" is generally read as "improvement never" and not for no reason.

Having said that, if anti-discrimination laws could be given real teeth and be applied reliably in all areas, that certainly would be a much better solution.

To continue the ad infinitum repeat of this sentiment, reverse racism = racism, so yes, it's a problem.

I think affirmative action is horrendous, really. You mandate that a certain number of people in any given organization be women, or of a particular minority or whatever, and you end up creating a situation where someone who might have been better for the job getting passed over because of their race. Yeah, that affirmative action sure is solving race discrimination, isn't it?

Honestly, if I ever gained political power in Canada, the first thing I'd do is end affirmative action and try to abolish the Indian Act.

evilthecat:
What's not worth talking about is how "proud" we all are of a term which was created to express a belief in inherent superiority and really has no other meaning outside of that context.

I think its for the individual to decide. I have just as much of a right to be proud of my European ancestry as another person has the right to be proud of their African ancestry.

thaluikhain:
There's a saying "Racism is prejudice plus power". Now, I don't entirely agree with those sentiments, but it's a useful soundbite to keep in mind.

Not really, I've only seen it used by Black people on tumblr who say racist crap about White people and then when people call them out on it, they use that sound bite as a defense.

thaluikhain:

You can't really be (say) a racist Japanese person in a white nation the same way that white supremacy is unlikely to take off in Japan. Now, certainly minorities can harbour prejudice and do any number of terrible things on the micro scale, but unless the power in held by that minority group (very unusual, but not unprecedented), they can't do much large scale.

Being a minority doesn't mean you can't be racist, history has shown that.

Overhead:
If you don't like PoC/women/disabled people being given slight advantages in one or two stages of life (University applications and some jobs), the thing to do isn't to complain about it but to help get rid of the discrimination that PoC, women/disabled people face at every single other stage of their life which make these steps necessary.

No the thing is to be against AA. I am not every bodies parent/academic adviser.

Being prejudiced against someone because of something that they can't help is never a good thing, but I think it's a mistake to equate prejudice against white people in Western culture with prejudice against racial minorities. The latter is endemic and is something that is built into just about every part of our society. I live in the UK, and when the papers over here report any kind of crime committed by an ethnic minority, they will usually mention the perpetrator's ethnicity in the headline, and will almost invariably include it in the main story.

I've never experienced any kind of prejudice for being white. However, I used to work in a call centre where all the guys with names like Jameel and Mohamed and Ahmed always had to give their names as Tom or David when they spoke to people. If they tried giving their real names they would A) rarely get anywhere with the people they called and B) would often end up getting an earful of racial abuse. I was working as a charity fundraiser as well, so even I had to listen to people explaining that all the problems in the UK are caused by selfish, greedy Asians, and that Aids is God's way of killing black children because they're the spawn of Satan.

It was a fun job.

So while individual prejudice against white people is obviously bad, it's nowhere near as big a problem as "regular" racism.

I've been struggling to find work, and I've never once blamed affirmative action for it. It feels like a cop out, and I just don't think it's true.

That being said, no one should ever get something because of their race, sex, gender, religion, or disability. Establishing equal chance is not the same as giving something to someone. Everyone should have an equal chance at something but if they don't get it it should be because they didn't earn it, if they do get it should be because it was earned. A disabled person shouldn't get a job because they are disabled, they should get it because they are capable of doing the job.

And treating racism against white people any different then racism against any other group is absolutely the stupidest, dumbest, most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

The crime is equal, the punishment shall be equal. Period. Scale doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that there may be more white racist people then black racist people, they're RACIST PEOPLE. True equality demands that you treat them all the same.

Helmholtz Watson:
No the thing is to be against AA. I am not every bodies parent/academic adviser.

No-one's asking to be an advisor and your personal firsthand involvement isn't necessary to try and redress some of the massive discrimination faced by people the further away they are from the privileged archetype of rich white hetrosexual male.

Overhead:

Helmholtz Watson:

No-one's asking to be an advisor and your personal firsthand involvement isn't necessary to try and redress some of the massive discrimination faced by people the further away they are from the privileged archetype of rich white hetrosexual male.

Seeing as how I'm not a "rich white heterosexual" I see no reason to "redress" anything. I haven't stopped anybody from receiving housing, a loan, college education, or an occupation, so I feel no desire to aid them when I have my own life to worry about.

Helmholtz Watson:
Seeing as how I'm not a "rich white heterosexual" I see no reason to "redress" anything. I haven't stopped anybody from receiving housing, a loan, college education, or an occupation, so I feel no desire to aid them when I have my own life to worry about.

Again, no-one's asking you to personally get involved in affirmative action on a personal level. This isn't something you are expected to do yourself.

Your engagement with affirmative action is on the same level as your engagement with the system which exploits, impoverishes and causes these problems in the same place. It's happening at an institutional level which you aren't involved in beyond general engagement with the system through your day to day life and your democratic consent or opposition to these policies in terms of voting, going on demonstrations, etc if you happen to do those things.

boots:
Being prejudiced against someone because of something that they can't help is never a good thing, but I think it's a mistake to equate prejudice against white people in Western culture with prejudice against racial minorities. The latter is endemic and is something that is built into just about every part of our society. I live in the UK, and when the papers over here report any kind of crime committed by an ethnic minority, they will usually mention the perpetrator's ethnicity in the headline, and will almost invariably include it in the main story.

I've never experienced any kind of prejudice for being white. However, I used to work in a call centre where all the guys with names like Jameel and Mohamed and Ahmed always had to give their names as Tom or David when they spoke to people. If they tried giving their real names they would A) rarely get anywhere with the people they called and B) would often end up getting an earful of racial abuse. I was working as a charity fundraiser as well, so even I had to listen to people explaining that all the problems in the UK are caused by selfish, greedy Asians, and that Aids is God's way of killing black children because they're the spawn of Satan.

It was a fun job.

So while individual prejudice against white people is obviously bad, it's nowhere near as big a problem as "regular" racism.

First off I realize that what I'm talking about probably isn't as big of an issue as it might have been back in the 1980's, but did Irish Catholics get similar treatment before?

Overhead:

Helmholtz Watson:

Again, no-one's asking you to personally get involved in affirmative action on a personal level. This isn't something you are expected to do yourself.

You just asked me to "redress" discrimination that people who are not "rich white heterosexual[s]" face.

Helmholtz Watson:

Overhead:

Helmholtz Watson:

You just asked me to "redress" discrimination that people who are not "rich white heterosexual[s]" face.

Bolded and capitalised for emphasis:

"your personal firsthand involvement ISN'T necessary to try and redress some of the massive discrimination faced by people the further away they are from the privileged archetype of rich white hetrosexual male."

Overhead:

Helmholtz Watson:

Overhead:

Bolded and capitalised for emphasis:

"your personal firsthand involvement ISN'T necessary to try and redress some of the massive discrimination faced by people the further away they are from the privileged archetype of rich white hetrosexual male."

Ah, apologies. It appears that I stand corrected.

Helmholtz Watson:

boots:

It was a fun job.

First off I realize that what I'm talking about probably isn't as big of an issue as it might have been back in the 1980's, but did Irish Catholics get similar treatment before?

Uhh...

In the 1800's they used to roam around in gangs and lynch them and set fire to their businesses/houses, in the US anyway.

White people have a long history of hating white people. Some of their most successful genocides has been against white people.

Fun fact, so do black people. And asian people. Everyone has a long history of hating everyone. Humanity is fun like that. It's why almost all racial theory is bunk; it's not races, it's t he human race.

When JFK was running for president people were seriously concerned he was going to bow to the popes will and let the pope run the United States.

When my mother was in the marine corp her friend started to tell a joke that went "A christian, a jew, and a catholic go into a bar.." and she had to interrupt to remind them that Catholics ARE Christians.

tl:dr humans are dicks learn to live with it or go to another planet I unno.

You know, I just can't get that irate about the plight of the white, straight male.

I'm not saying reverse-racism is right. I'm saying that the right-wing-dominated UK media tends to cry fowl about the plight of Christians, or how uppity the minorities are getting, and ignores established, mainstream bigotries. It really does.

i came across a quote last night when really clarified this issue for me:

"I may not know a lot but I know something about white folks cause I been one for 80 years. And I know that us white folks, we will do anything in the world rather than face the truth about what racism, and I prefer to call it white supremacy which is what it is, has done to us and to the country." -Anne Braden

So when people say things like "there's no such thing as racism against white people", they aren't saying "No POC has ever been mean to a white person just for being white", they're saying black supremacy does not exist and has never existed in any meaningful way. "Reverse racism" is a misleading term because it implies the racism experienced by POC and the "racism" experienced by white people is at all comparable. Institutional discrimination against white people simply does not exist.

On a related note, whiteness is a terrible thing to be proud of, because the only thing white people have ever achieved as a collective is the subjugation of non-white people. I'm not "proud" of the radio being invented by noted white person Guglielmo Marconi, because my American upbringing and Eastern European heritage have nothing to do with Italians like Marconi.

Pebble:

She actually looks sort of Nabooan.

Yea, Mr. Lucas borrowing "Hopi hair" didn't really help the situation with the people who are convinced Hopi are highly advanced reptilian aliens here to take over the earth. HAHA! http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer_anunnaki/reptiles/reptiles38.htm

It is funny though when people think a Hopi girl is a star wars fan when traditional Hopi never watch movies or use technology. People tend to think they have it bad with Racism, at least they don't have people hounding them to draw their reptilian ancestors.. LOL!

(Yes, there are people constantly coming to the reservations trying to find "aliens" They really believe they are hiding them there)

Hell, I'm from eastern europe, so I don't really belong to the 'white' race. I'm more pissed off about actual racism towards Eastern Europeans and being called an 'entitled' white boy.

So many people generalize white people and don't realize it one bit.

Edit: Apart from Anglo Saxon whites, I dance like a motherfucker. Also...I am a little entitled, but it has nothing to do with the colour of my skin.

AstroSmash:
Hell, I'm from eastern europe, so I don't really belong to the 'white' race. I'm more pissed off about actual racism towards Eastern Europeans and being called an 'entitled' white boy.

Edit: Apart from Anglo Saxon whites, I dance like a motherfucker. Also...I am a little entitled, but it has nothing to do with the colour of my skin.

I think the "entitlement" viewpoint is more of a perspective issue rather than just a " race" issue. When one group of people are literally sleeping in a dirt hole in the ground, no clean water, no sewage, no real shelter from the elements and another group is sleeping on a blanket, the kid with the blanket is still more "entitled" in the eyes of the kid sleeping in a dirt hole without a blanket. And yes, regretfully, I have had neighbors we took into our home growing up that were literally sleeping in dirt holes in the wealthiest county in the state of Texas. Many can't imagine that this still happens even in suburbs and wealthy areas in so called " advanced" nations, but it does. In their eyes, "everyone" is more entitled than they are, because in reality they are. They see " whites" as more entitled simply because there are less whites sleeping in dirt holes without blankets.

The only way you would be able to change that viewpoint would be to have either more whites sleeping in dirt holes, or make sure there are less of every other race being forced to. I would think the latter would be a better solution. You would have to even out the EXISTING wealth distribution of the world, due to the existing wealth being unequally already established making it more difficult for anyone else to catch up.

I don't like the term.

Racism is racism, or to be more open-ended...
Bigotry is bigotry.

I don't like it, regardless of WHO is doing it to WHO.
Bad is bad.

Lil devils x:

AstroSmash:

I think the "entitlement" viewpoint is more of a perspective issue rather than just a " race" issue. When one group of people are literally sleeping in a dirt hole in the ground, no clean water, no sewage, no real shelter from the elements and another group is sleeping on a blanket, the kid with the blanket is still more "entitled" in the eyes of the kid sleeping in a dirt hole without a blanket. And yes, regretfully, I have had neighbors we took into our home growing up that were literally sleeping in dirt holes in the wealthiest county in the state of Texas. Many can't imagine that this still happens even in suburbs and wealthy areas in so called " advanced" nations, but it does. In their eyes, "everyone" is more entitled than they are, because in reality they are. They see " whites" as more entitled simply because there are less whites sleeping in dirt holes without blankets.

The only way you would be able to change that viewpoint would be to have either more whites sleeping in dirt holes, or make sure there are less of every other race being forced to. I would think the latter would be a better solution. You would have to even out the EXISTING wealth distribution of the world, due to the existing wealth being unequally already established making it more difficult for anyone else to catch up.

That's a generalization that is just as bad as "All (most) African Americans smoke crack."

I mean, if there's a bigger percentage of black people among crack smokers...? Now we have to make sure more whites smoke crack.

eh, i see reverse discrimination as an inevitable backlash to any equality effort, at least in the US. In general we are not very good at...level-headed responses and tend to go waaaay overboard. Then there will probably be a backlash against the bkaclash and so on and so forth, and with each backlash hopefully we get closer to the actual goal.

a bit optimistic im sure. The sad truth is that a lot of people dont care about actual equality, they just care about having/losing more power. Humans are greedy bastards like that.

I feel that equality is only possible if all groups are treated a equal, which means that yes all groups plights, whatever they may be, have some value. Turning equality into a never ending series of us vs them will not achieve equality, it will just change the have and have nots.

So is reverse racism/discrimination a problem? In the short term, no. Long term, yes.

AstroSmash:

Lil devils x:

AstroSmash:

That's a generalization that is just as bad as "All (most) African Americans smoke crack."

I mean, if there's a bigger percentage of black people among crack smokers...? Now we have to make sure more whites smoke crack.

The difference being of course, In my neighbors example, they were actually living in dirt holes in the ground due to the racist actions of others. You see, the woman,( mother of her 5 children that were living in holes with her) had been pulled from school in the 4th grade due to the violence carried out against them during desegregation of the schools, so she was unaware of how to care for herself or her children, when her husband was killed( by a white, male drunk driver), she did not know how to seek out assistance due to her limited education, was unable to drive or have access to any transportation, could not read well and they forcefully evicted her and her children from the home, not offering her anywhere to go, not giving her any resources, but instead leaving her and her 5 children to walk away from their home with only the clothes they were wearing. She walked to an abandoned broken shack with only 2 walls and no roof, where they were sleeping in holes they dug in the ground under the busted floor boards. Their situation was a result of the racist actions of others that were carried out against her and her family in the first place due to the violence forced upon her for being born black. Because she was born black, she was denied an education and the tools she needed to survive, and care for her children. Due to those racist actions it set off a chain of events that not only affect her, but also her childrens ability to survive and succeed as well.

No, I do not feel that is the same comparison at all. You see, no where did I state that " all whites are more entitled" I simply stated that "less whites are sleeping in dirt holes", so if you do not want others to view you as " more entitled" help them become "less of them sleeping in dirt holes" as well and you won't be more entitled than they are.

You extend a helping hand is all, because sometimes it is needed.

Now, you know as well as I do, I do not hold you responsible for their situation, I am just saying, as a matter of perspective, if you do not want to be viewed as " more entitled" help them be " more entitled too" and you won't be.

Silvanus:
I'm saying that the right-wing-dominated UK media tends to cry fowl about the plight of Christians, or how uppity the minorities are getting, and ignores established, mainstream bigotries. It really does.

The tabloid media is always full of cock and bull stories like this. At least they only cost a poultry sum to buy.

Lil devils x:

No, I do not feel that is the same comparison at all. You see, no where did I state that " all whites are more entitled" I simply stated that "less whites are sleeping in dirt holes", so if you do not want others to view you as " more entitled" help them become "less of them sleeping in dirt holes" as well and you won't be more entitled than they are.

You extend a helping hand is all, because sometimes it is needed.

Now, you know as well as I do, I do not hold you responsible for their situation, I am just saying, as a matter of perspective, if you do not want to be viewed as " more entitled" help them be " more entitled too" and you won't be.

While I have lived in the states, up until '89 it was practically impossible for me to have any interaction with them. I'm white as a brand new pair of air force ones, so is my aunt, yet she has an university degree, is a principal of a school, but earns 500 euros/month (FYI, to have comparable living standards to western europe, she would need to earn 1500euros) and the state then takes half of that and gives her back horseshit for her money's worth, despite having 30 years experience etc. The rest who were not so lucky either have shitty factory jobs and live with no heating, or they live in garages, a minor step up from dirt holes.

Maybe someone should help these white people too? After all, it's just a matter of perspective.

If you were to meet me, I would be completely 100% unrecognizable from any other white US citizen. I was practically born in the US and didn't move back till I was around 12, so even my accent would be that of an average American.

My point being: 'White' is too much of a blanket generalization based purely on color, while there are just as many different 'white' people, as there are 'black' and 'asian', yet people just assume every white person has it better off, because they're selectively choosing a very small percentage of actual white people.

Look at a globe...from Russia to the eastern borders of Germany/Austria. It's practically all 'white', but not exactly future Warren Buffets, eh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here