Your Favorite Political Move of the Last Two Hundred Years.

Pages PREV 1 2

Pandalisk:
The proclamation of the First French Empire.

I thought the rule was 200 years.

As a European person, I'd say it would be the Treaty of Elysee of 1963, between Charles de Gaule and Konrad Adenauer, establishing regular summits between France and Germany and effectively ending the animosity of centuries.

And well, since both France and Germany are large powers in Europe, that treaty set the foundation for Europe as we know it today. Having them commit to consulting each other instead of pointing weapons at each other, I'd say, is one of the key agreements to prevent another continental carnage in Europe.

vonmanstein:

Pandalisk:

Why he chose the First Empire I will never know. It collapsed into another Monarchy. Why not the third or fifth republic?

Danny Ocean:
Globally, it just has to be the EU.

It may not have completely unified the most war-torn and influential continent on Earth, but I think we can safely say there's not going to be another significant war here for a very long time.

I am inclined to agree. This has been one of Germany's greatest achievement, as after two world wars and a humiliating cold war era separation it finally managed to conquer all of Europe. Good job Germany, now go get those Balkans!

Edmund Ross's vote. Poor guy didn't do much after that, and he knew he wouldn't. He's a hero.

Me, personally? I'm going to have to go with the declaration of the German Empire in 1871.

Because, really, declaring your empire after handily crushing France, -in the hall of French kings-... I mean, there is no words.

vonmanstein:

Pandalisk:

I'm only over by 9 years, cut me some slaaaack.

Frission:

vonmanstein:

Pandalisk:

Why he chose the First Empire I will never know. It collapsed into another Monarchy. Why not the third or fifth republic?

Frission:

vonmanstein:

Pandalisk:

I find it to be an important bench mark of history.

Not to mention its rise and fall ushered in the Pax Britannia, The increasingly more significant rise of nationalism, it set central Europe down the path of the founding of the nation-states Germany and Italy, there was the congress of Vienna and the Napoleonic wars that followed the proclamation of the empire is notable even of itself.

The empire collapsed yes, but it had a huge impact on Europe i felt deserved a mention.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked