have you ever had an experinace you can't explain.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

have you ever had "an experience you can't explain".

yes i know the forums is full of rational atheists (or whatever...)

but still...have you ?

can be anything to seeing "a ufo" or "ghost", an intense feeling about a place or thing or a perhaps some kind of seemingly physic thing happening involving a family member or loved one.

have you sensed or seen/heard something beyond that which you can rationalise ?

anything like that.

this question is purely on the basis of casual enquiry and i don't want anyone to fire into someone who posts something another might think is worthy of ridicule.

in short please hold your tongues and let people tell their tales unmolested.

and no i don't mean that time you got dumped

Sleekit:

Yes, though in my case I'd say it was more of a religious or spiritual experience and it caused me to further wish to develop this part of myself. I have no idea why or how it happened, and I won't discuss it, I'll only say that I'm profoundly glad it happened and it changed my life for the better.

Sleekit:

yes i know the forums is full of rational atheists (or whatever...)

Hey?

Wouldn't that mean more unexplained things? Isn't the idea that you don't just say "it was a fairy/alien/saquatch/whatever", which would leave it unexplained?

ah i see what you mean. you had me puzzled for a min there.

i was basically referring to the fact that people who lay claim to be deeply rational, logical etc may be reticent to mention something that they may have experienced that didn't fit that lest its somehow lessen their claim to be so.

Sleekit:

...but what if God told her to leave me?

I did see some things here and there, but never anything that couldn't be explained more rationally (or, as supernaturalists would probably consider it, "explained away").
But that's the thing, I think in terms of probabilities. And considering how pathetic our senses are (not to mention mine in particular, needing glasses/contact lenses for instance), it's just so much more likely that my brain misinterpreted something my senses told it than that I really did see, for example, a vaguely humanoid being made of darkness with slowly waving tendrils standing beneath the trees, otherwise motionlessly staring out at me from the forest as I was hiking one day.
It's so much more probable and believable that what I saw was a combination of shadows, tree-limbs waving in the wind and the contrast to the bright sun overhead etc. than an actual supernatural creature of some sort. That's just an example of a few such instances.
See, being skeptical of supernatural things overall, a vague, non-reproducible, uncertain experience like seeing something once for a few seconds just doesn't bear a lot of weight.
I have previously said that I don't think subjective experience alone is legitimate grounds for believing in the supernatural; that even if I started hearing voices of angels, demons or gods, I'd hope I'd uphold my standards of evidence and check myself into a psychiatric ward rather than go around starting to call myself the next prophet of whichever god I think I'm hearing.
I'd like to be consistent in that, but honestly I can't know whether I would be unless something like that actually happens.

EDIT: "...although i tell myself it must be the work of the mind of a child only recently i read about the mythological hound known as Cu Sith http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B9_S%C3%ACth"

Woah, I never knew "sith" meant "fairy". Now Darth Maul seems even sillier. I always thought he was kind of a goblin.

Well, I've never told this to anyone before because most people would think I'm crazy. But... one time, when I was alone at home doing my math homework... one sum was 8008135 and when I looked into the mirror in front of me it suddenly said "BOOBIES".
To this day I have no explanation how a random string of numbers got turned into a dirty word but I suspect it must have been some sort of kinky ghost.

I've had tons of mystical and supernatural experiences. (Well just a few, but I like to brag.)
Was it real? It was real to me, in my head. But I don't think these experiences were of an objective nature; it did not exist outside of my own mind.

But that doesn't mean they are not real or important, you know what I'm saying?

Quaxar:
Well, I've never told this to anyone before because most people would think I'm crazy. But... one time, when I was alone at home doing my math homework... one sum was 8008135 and when I looked into the mirror in front of me it suddenly said "BOOBIES".
To this day I have no explanation how a random string of numbers got turned into a dirty word but I suspect it must have been some sort of kinky ghost.

You must be some kind of sorcerer!

(A dirty sorcerer)

LetalisK:

Sleekit:

...but what if God told her to leave me?

What if your girlfriend was an alien?

(Lots of jokes about probing come to mind)

"have you ever had an experinace you can't explain?"

Nope. Though it's important to remember, that such an experience would be just that - UNEXPLAINED. Stating, that some phenomenon was an act of god, or a ghost, or aliens implies, that you have immense amount of knowledge scientific community lacks, and if that were the case, you'd present your evidence to be examined tested. Otherwise, it's nothing more than an argument from ignorance.

It is difficult to say "I don't know", when you've experienced some extraordinary phenomenon, but I believe it is far better, and certainly far more intellectually honest to say so rather than abuse lack of explanation to support one's unsubstantiated beliefs.

my friend and i saw a floating 5 ft ball of light in the backyard that proceeded to travel up and over the house.

i still have no idea what the hell it was. ball lightning maybe

I live in an old Victorian house where at least two people we know of have met an untimely death, and it's said to be haunted. A couple of members of my family have heard voices or seen ghosts that turned out not to be there, and some people just don't want to go in the house at all. I heard a voice once that called my name very loudly and no-one else was around at the time.

Then again, all that can be explained away as auditory or visual hallucinations. I know for a fact that I'm susceptible to them and it's not a massive stretch of logic to assume that family members are also.

A fair number of deja vu instances that are difficult to explain away as a simple memory misfile.

For instance, I remember dreaming about a ~40 second period in which I was using a computer program to model a complicated metal frame. I remember waking up and thinking about said dream sequence, and wondering just where the hell that came from.

About nine months later I was introduced to the solid modeling program in question for the very first time (did not recognize it at this point). One month after that, I found myself working on the exact project I remembered from the dream.

In order for this to be a fluke of memory, my mind would have had to rewrite portions of my long term memory to make it fit on the fly. Small portions to be sure, but that doesn't make me feel much better about what should be read only files being subject to edit without approval.

@Heronblade

Small portions to be sure, but that doesn't make me feel much better about what should be read only files being subject to edit without approval.

Ah, but that is very well known to be the case: Our memories are constantly being rewritten and changed. It's why witness testimony is so shitty for criminal investigations for example. All the more reason to rely on external crutches in my view. In fact, from what I understand of deja vu (which your dream sounds a lot like; in fact, I'd bet most of us had such dreams/memories of such dreams at one time or another; I certainly have) it's exactly that, your brain filling in gaps in your memory and causing that feeling of uncertainty, of recognition and repetition. =)

Sleekit:

i was basically referring to the fact that people who lay claim to be deeply rational, logical etc may be reticent to mention something that they may have experienced that didn't fit that lest its somehow lessen their claim to be so.

That is very creepy. It reminds me of the "Hounds of Baskerville" for some reason however.

Heronblade:
A fair number of deja vu instances that are difficult to explain away as a simple memory misfile.

For instance, I remember dreaming about a ~40 second period in which I was using a computer program to model a complicated metal frame. I remember waking up and thinking about said dream sequence, and wondering just where the hell that came from.

About nine months later I was introduced to the solid modeling program in question for the very first time (did not recognize it at this point). One month after that, I found myself working on the exact project I remembered from the dream.

In order for this to be a fluke of memory, my mind would have had to rewrite portions of my long term memory to make it fit on the fly. Small portions to be sure, but that doesn't make me feel much better about what should be read only files being subject to edit without approval.

My experiences were a bit like this, although in my case it was just some meetings with friends or moments where I tutored, where I had the uncanny impression of having done and heard the same thing before. The impression I got though was that my life was going in circles, not that I was having prophetic dreams.

I'll agree with Skeleton that it's due to the fluidity of memories and the way exhaustion can cause these impressions of deja vu

Once, I was on a school trip to Belgium, staying in the same room as two friends. We talked until late, and fell asleep. At one point, I woke up, because I could hear the two of them whispering again below me(I was on the top bunk of one bed, so the two of them were lower).

I ignored it for quite a while, because I just wanted to get back to sleep. It didn't stop, and they seemed to be taking no breaths. Eventually I looked over the side to tell them to keep it down, but saw them both fast asleep. The whispering was coming from the middle of the room; you know how you can usually accurately place a sound coming from very close by. It was just coming from the centre of the damn room. An empty space.

I lay back and tried to get back to sleep, but it kept me awake. Eventually I curled my pillow around my head (like in a cartoon). It took ages to get back to sleep.

Oh yes. I have very pointy elbows bones, and one day a true miracle happened. My grandmother was sipping ice water from one of those big Coca Cola glasses. Like so:

I didn't notice she was there, and as I spun around with my arm up to grab something, the inside of my elbow lightly collided with her glass as she was holding it. She thought nothing of it, and as she raised the glass to take another sip, water poured out from a small circular hole created by my pointy elbow that left the rest of the glass completely in-tact.

This was the second random act of karate I have experienced in my life and a true miracle.

Also I think I saw a UFO once.

Silvanus:
Once, I was on a school trip to Belgium, staying in the same room as two friends. We talked until late, and fell asleep. At one point, I woke up, because I could hear the two of them whispering again below me(I was on the top bunk of one bed, so the two of them were lower).

I ignored it for quite a while, because I just wanted to get back to sleep. It didn't stop, and they seemed to be taking no breaths. Eventually I looked over the side to tell them to keep it down, but saw them both fast asleep. The whispering was coming from the middle of the room; you know how you can usually accurately place a sound coming from very close by. It was just coming from the centre of the damn room. An empty space.

I lay back and tried to get back to sleep, but it kept me awake. Eventually I curled my pillow around my head (like in a cartoon). It took ages to get back to sleep.

This thread is going to turn into a series of campfire ghost stories isn't it? If it hasn't already.

EDIT: This is also incredibly creepy. Damn Belgium.

Sleekit:

You do realize that the eyes of many animals "glow" with even the slightest shred of light refracting trough their iris right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum

This happens to pretty much most mammals from racoons to even cows which creates some very disturbing incidents..
Dog:
Cow:

Now before you say well it was pitch black outside, this doesn't require a direct or even a very strong light, heck this can be even triggered by close to IR wavelengths that we barely see or don't see at all which excite electrons within the eye that release visible light when they drop to their normal energy level.

As for your original question yes ofc, you can be a complete "skeptic" and an utter atheist and still have "spiritual" experiences that live you in complete awe and wonder, of being creeped the hell out of some old house or a dark ally.
Things like the Jerusalem(Messiah) syndrome have been known to affect highly intelligent non-religious people just as much as religious ones.

We don't live an a vacuum, we are highly affected by our culture heck i don't know many athiest that don't say "god bless you", "god dammit" or "Jesus f'n Christ" unless they are really trying too and then in most cases they will still spew such idioms or phrases in moments of anger, pain excitement etc...

We all know(or at least most of us) that things like Ghosts, little grey man(that perform sodomy on cows) and angels don't exist. But all of us also have been exposed to these ideas since childhood, we've seen them in movies, TV, read about them in books, and know at least one odd ball that believes in them and sees them every Tuesday.
In such cases i don't see why you would think that because our brains can act out and our imagination can run wild it would make any one doubt about thinking that such things are no more than ghost stories and fairy tales.

Only one but even then it's explainable because it was investigated. I was with a buddy out in the middle of no where up in some hills around 3 or 4 in the morning. We were near a graveyard that had some local legends surrounding but we were just chilling, smoking, being bored, generally just killing time. I turned around to look at this nearby cliff wall and saw a demon's face in it. I was a bit stunned at what I was seeing. I asked my friend to take a look without telling him anything and he saw it too. We were a little freaked out by it so while I kept looking at it, he turned the car around to put the headlights on it. Turned out to be some oddly shaped tree roots and shadows being cast from the bright moon. Never once did I actually believe I was seeing the face of some demonic creature regardless of what my eyes were telling me but it was still enough to creep us both out for the rest of the evening.

Skeleon:
@Heronblade

Small portions to be sure, but that doesn't make me feel much better about what should be read only files being subject to edit without approval.

Ah, but that is very well known to be the case: Our memories are constantly being rewritten and changed. It's why witness testimony is so shitty for criminal investigations for example. All the more reason to rely on external crutches in my view. In fact, from what I understand of deja vu (which your dream sounds a lot like; in fact, I'd bet most of us had such dreams/memories of such dreams at one time or another; I certainly have) it's exactly that, your brain filling in gaps in your memory and causing that feeling of uncertainty, of recognition and repetition. =)

Editing existing memories is one thing. One can see how filling in details here or changing something there can alter remembered events dramatically. In this case however, at least two distinct and quite detailed memories appear to have been created where nothing had been before. Yes, this has been known to happen as well, but normally as a result of incredible mental stress rather than just a few moments of confusion.

I'm not saying that it could not have happened that way, just that for once, the official medical explanation only seems likely by comparison to the alternatives.

This one time I dropped a piece of toast and it landed butter-side up.

I had to sit down for 5 minutes and process that information.

Sometimes I think I see a spider out of the corner of my eye and then when I look it isn't there. I do not have a complete explanation for why this happens each time. I know that the line between perception and hallucination is often a bit blurry, but that is not a complete explanation-- just a damn good reason to assume that these phantom spiders aren't actually spiders. These events are very infrequent, and I have absolutely no idea why they happen when they happen and not other times. I simply don't have the information necessary to figure out exactly what is going on. It is enough to be justified in believing that these events are my brain filling in a perceptual blank with a guess (and not necessarily the best guess)-- which actually happens constantly but usually in ways that don't seem contrary to reality. It is more useful to suspect that there is a spider and verify that there isn't than it is never to suspect a spider and only accidentally find out that there is (naturally, the utility of suspecting spiders goes down the more apt you are to do so-- it is not good to think that spiders are constantly crawling all over you unless they actually are.) The principle is that some amount of false positives which lead to further and more detailed investigation can be better than having false negatives even if that makes the initial perception less accurate. It can be a tradeoff worth making if it leads to more alertness.

edit:

Abomination:

Mind = blown.

Have I ever had an experience I couldn't understand?

Well of course, everyone probably has at one point or another. None come to mind at the moment, maybe some craziness back when I was experimenting with wicca and thought magic was real. But nearly all of that was me just psyching myself out or believing in a sort of shared fantasy with others.

Do I think I've had an experience that science can't explain? No not really.

Verbatim:
*snip*

i know about "Tapetum lucidum". i live in the country, domestic animals and wild animals complete with their glowing eyes are just around especially when driving around at night.

the glowing eyes were only a part of the thing. it was also huge, as big as the garden shed behind it and weirdly shaped. its snout was long, abnormally long. like a crocodiles and it was both boney and shaggy at the same time but strong looking across the shoulders. if you've ever seen the Hellboy movie it was a bit like the hellhound demon in that but with far longer legs and covered in long matted fur.

bare in mind im describing something from at least 35 years ago but if i could draw at all i could draw it because i remember (or at least think i remember) exactly what it looked like. i only call it a hound because it was that basic shape but ive never seen a dog as big as it was not even great danes. this thing was massive. i specifically remember its head behind level with the apex of the roof of the shed behind it when its back and neck was near enough parallel to the ground because when i first saw it was from the back facing that way...maybe sniffing at the shed or something...and it turned to face me (my bedroom was an upstairs room facing the back garden). that places its collar bone at least 6-8 feet above ground level because the shed itself (which had a full size door in its front and a peaked roof) sat up on sleepers :s

look i'm not claiming this thing was real. its entirely possible it was some kind of hallucination or something and i very probably suffered impact related brain damage as a child. it is just something i cannot explain or quantify. i also used to have very real dreams (including dreaming getting a bike for my birthday once that was so real when i couldn't find it i thought it had been stolen) but in this i know the experience wasn't a dream because i did basically wake the whole house after the fact as mentioned before and that side of the experience was shared by others.

and i wasn't trying to disparage anyone in the OP in any way. i was only tying to put people at ease to share their storys in the thread.

Abomination:

har har :P

been a few times i've casually thrown stuff at a bin and its missed only to have it rebound of multiple surfaces (seemingly accelerating in the process sometimes) only to "fly straight into the bin" at the end of it all...ofc this only happens when there is no one else around...and i kind of mentally applaud "the universe" for fucking with me at that point.

Frission:
This thread is going to turn into a series of campfire ghost stories isn't it? If it hasn't already.

and why not ? makes a change from conspiracy>WW3 and sexual politics. maybe R&P isn't the best place for it but its been kinda boring round here of late.

wombat_of_war:
my friend and i saw a floating 5 ft ball of light in the backyard that proceeded to travel up and over the house.

i still have no idea what the hell it was. ball lightning maybe

this one is interesting to me because of its electrical nature and the fact that "ball lightning" supposedly flew down the street of the village once. i didn't see it but half the village apparently did and it supposedly flew right down the middle of the road (the village is basically two facing rows of houses draped over a very pronounced hill).

ok now i'm going to tell you about the "electrical" "UFO"s...

first a little background: i used to work for the electricity board. i was a cable jointer and the mirror of my trade (which worked with the cables in the ground) were the linesmen (who worked with the cables in the air). both trades worked a standby rota meaning we were often on call at night to deal with "faults" (which basically usually meant something had blown up and had to be fixed asap).

anyway there was something weird going on with the linesmen.

something i have seen physical evidence of.

"things" were draining power from overhead lines and popping fuses, lines and transformers.

and when i say draining i mean draining vast amounts of electrical current without physical contact with the lines and when i say "things" i mean glowing things in the sky.

several of the linesmen professed to having seen these "things" when they were called out on standby to fix problems on the lines.

now this became a problem at work because linesmen (or at least the "craftsman" ones ie those "time served" and college trained who led the teams) were expected to justify the work undertaken and pin point exactly what had caused the faults that had led to them being called out on standby to "justify the hours" and yet many of them were having problems with doing that because on the nature of some of these events.

as one guy put it to me "how do i put flying glowing jellyfish tripped the fuses on a job line ?". to be frank people were getting in a lot of shit for these reports as we got paid a lot of money for being called out on standby.

note we did not call ourselves out when on standby btw no, we were called out by the call centres in response to "faults" being reported by multiple members of the public and flags coming in via the systems in sub substations and the like that monitor/switch supplies so this wasn't a case of "manufactured work."

then one day something happened that took the whole thing to new level for those that understood what they were looking at.

one of the linesmen out on a job ripped the whole silica glass fuse assembly off a pole top and slapped the whole thing down in the middle of the assembly hall at work.

it had melted but hadn't blown (across all three phases).

now a lot of people didn't know what that meant but the "time served" craftsmen did and our eyes were like dish plates.

it meant a vast amount of current, creating a phenomenal amount of heat had been drawn through those fuses and not only that but over a lengthy time period and in a ramped and controlled way because otherwise the fuses (or others further down the line) would simply have popped and stopped the current flow.

you're talking around 1000-1500 C to melt silica glass.

meaning you're talking raising a fuse to 1000-1500 C and it NOT blowing (which is almost unfathomable in and of itself).

times 3.

and before you think it lighting doesn't do this to such a fuse assembly. we all knew how lightning works and how it reacts with the equipment which is ofc designed to deal with it. apart anything else lightning goes for the earth and doesn't persist across the phases in a manner that would cause 3 separate fuses to melt rather than do their job...indeed lightning doesn't persist for any length of time and time had to be a factor in what we were looking at.

also it makes no sense because the copper lines themselves would melt at 1085 C...meaning the temperature increase must have been localised at the actual switchgear...possibly because of some kind of cross phase interaction going on. but there was no evidence of that. no evidence of "burning" anywhere in fact. normally if phases meet for some reason "out in the wild" (most often due to an animal or foreign body bridging the lines) there's just a big, uncontrolled and explosive bang and we'd have been looking at twisted wreckage but that is not what sat was in front of us.

the guy (one of the senior linesmen who had been subject to the shit flying over these job lines) basically slapped it on a table and roared at the (job line questioning) foremen "OK NOW YOU EXPLAIN THAT"...and no one could.

none of time served craftmen could, none of the foremen could, none of the engineers at any level up the chain could.

and trust me you're talking about people who have seen some real Ghostbusters style special effects whacky shit in their time.

but this was weird in a whole other way because this simply shouldn't have existed...and then there was the whole "UFO" thing attached to it...

the fuses were tested multiple times by various people and found to still be electrically intact inside their melted silica glass casings.

eventually the fuse assembly was wrapped in a tarp and hauled of to somewhere and it was assumed it had went to the companies training centre (ie where the companies "brains" lived) for further analysis as was often the case when something was being investigated.

shortly after the linesmen got an entirely new engineer (a notable occurrence itself as most engineers came up through the company). an engineer who took a noticeable keen interest in these reports. i personally saw him arrive on a job he had no connection to and spend lunchtime "casually" talking to linesmen who were there about said "things" and then driving off again (which again was a notably weird occurrence as it wasn't that leisurely a working environment and people didn't usually have time to spend casually going places they weren't meant to be).

the job lines started being signed off on without question and the "things" just became a pub (or campfire i guess :P) story limited to very small and select group of people.

if i remember rightly it became acceptable for the linesmen to put in job lines citing "unspecified current draw" or words to that effect as the root cause of what had called them out on standby. this was waaaay out of the ordinary compared the detail that was normally required to justify hours out on standby where basically you had to nail the root cause.

it later emerged due to leaks/gossip coming out of the works office that the new engineer, a guy by the name of McLean, had previously worked for the the MOD in some capacity that he would not talk about (although he would confirm that he had) and he became infamous for not knowing his job as an electrical distribution engineer. i personally worked with him a few times and can testify to that. he really did not know the job.

as to what these "things" might be or even if they exist ¯\(°_o)/¯

i never saw them but they were described most often as akin to "glowing jellyfish" and they described as being "alive" and reacted to the approach of lights and people.

but there was a theory of sorts that formed that they could be some kind of creature that lived in the high atmosphere and "lived off" all the naturally occurring electrical activity up there and that they were maybe being displaced by man made disruption to ozone layers near the poles or something.

it was all very "real life meets the x-files" weird tbh.

and "things" aside the thing with the fuses blew everyones mind who understood (or rather couldn't understand :P) what they were looking at.

this story ties into something people from the UK might have heard of: most of these occurrences took place around the lines connected to a very large switching/substation and overhead lines hub that connected most of central Scotland to the power stations on the Forth estuary. that hub lay on a road between Falkirk and Bonnybridge (the A803). Bonnybridge is quite famous for a very high incidence of "UFO" sightings to the extent that wikipedia notes it as the "UFO capital of Scotland".

I've often lately woken up to an incredibly loud sound of gunfire. But nobody else in the house hears it, I don't fancy myself an expert, but. I've played tons of shooters and I've also seen people hunt so I know the difference between the sound of those ingame guns and real rifles, and to begin with I just thought it was hunters in the area (I live on the countryside), but nobody else in the house hears it...

Its not even a onetime thing, and even if I lay in bed for a while trying to fall asleep again, I can hear up to like.. Two or three shots, before it stops.. Usually completely awake by then.

Happened this morning too.

My first theory was that, always sleeping on the second floor with my window open allows me to hear further and better than the rest. But if it 'were' hunters it'd be within hearing distance of the ones belowfloors aswell, because anything outside of a mile or two's radius would be within short distance of a town (Where you are not allowed to carry around rifles)

So yea, I have a hard time seeing how it would not be in my head. But it sounds so incredibly real.

:s gunshots seem a bit of a freaky thing to be hearing.

that one makes me worry about you Nikolaz.

what if we assume they are in fact claps of thunder...meaning you are in fact secretly Thor :)

Nikolaz72:
I've often lately woken up to an incredibly loud sound of gunfire. But nobody else in the house hears it, I don't fancy myself an expert, but. I've played tons of shooters and I've also seen people hunt so I know the difference between the sound of those ingame guns and real rifles, and to begin with I just thought it was hunters in the area (I live on the countryside), but nobody else in the house hears it...

Its not even a onetime thing, and even if I lay in bed for a while trying to fall asleep again, I can hear up to like.. Two or three shots, before it stops.. Usually completely awake by then.
So yea, I have a hard time seeing how it would not be in my head. But it sounds so incredibly real.

Do you get an adrenaline kick when it happens? Like a jumpscare type reaction?
Because I seem to remember reading that that's the symptom of a harmless mental trait - kind of equivalent to dreaming of falling and then jolting awake, or Restless Leg Syndrome (not that I'd refer to it as a 'syndrome' really - that sounds far too serious for what it is). So that might be your mundane explanation. Fatigue usually factors into this kind of thing, so try getting to bed earlier!

------------------

Sleekit:
Have you sensed or seen/heard something beyond that which you can rationalise ?

I must say, you picked a bloody weird time to make this thread!
The one I'm going to talk about has only really come to light in the past few days, and while it is rationalise-able, it's still interesting (albeit horribly clichéd). Firstly I should point out that I do not believe in any of the supernatural stuff. I view 'psychics' as being either charlatans or genuinely mistaken, I don't believe in a god let alone the afterlife, I'm highly suspicious of alternative medicine. Life as we experience it is electrical impulses in the brain, and the biological machinery required to keep them going.
My mother's side of the family have always thought themselves slightly spiritual, but that never rubbed off on me or my sister - we both did sciences in school, I was an ardent atheist by age 9, and my sister is now an engineer. /disclaimer.

I grew up with my family in an old converted bungalow in a residential area. The house is about 90 years old, the lft conversion was done some time in the 70's, with the old attic being converted rather roughly with plasterboard, plywood, etc. The boiler and plumbing in there was mostly exposed and looked like the innards of a Victorian steamship or something. The boiler itself was some kind of ancient monstrosity that looked and sounded like it belonged down a mine.

The rooms are reasonably sized (my room is about 6.5m by 5m), but have extremely slanted ceilings because they're in the eaves of the house.
Long story short, when we moved it I got the main attic room as a bedroom, my sibling got the small one at the end of the corridor, parent downstairs.
And as a kid, I was absolutely terrible in terms of scaring myself stupid and being unable to sleep. And like most kids fixate on a wardrobe or window or closet, I mostly fixated on the boiler room and bathroom. They were where the xenomorph, alma, ghost, poltergeist, etc, was either lurking, or going to come from.
Usual cliches in terms of lying there watching the doorway, having to shut the sliding door to the bathroom to sleep, wanting to get a door put in for the boiler room as well, the building of tension before you have to do something to alleviate it, occasionally freak out and sleep on the lounge, or man-up (in an 8 year old sense) and go and throw open all the doors, establish there was nothing there, and triumphantly go back to bed while getting that crawling sensation up the neck when I turned away to walk back into my room.
Years passed, furniture changed (more on that later) and I grew out of it. Later than most, but I blamed that on me having an overactive imagination - which I do.

I eventually move to college, my room gets a load of stuff stored in it because it saves paying for storage for my mother's home business. Me and my sister use it when we visit from uni. And it still feels a bit weird. Obviously I'm an adult now so I don't panic anymore, but it still feels oppressive in there - you get that crawling sensation up the spine, feeling of impending unpleasantness, thinking you're catching things out of the corner of your eye.
For a comparison, I visited the Capuchin Crypt in Rome a few weeks ago while on holiday. It's a room with fucking decorations made of 5000 dismembered skeletons, and it feels less oppressive than my goddamn en-suite!

Fast forward to this week.
I go home to visit, and, while upstairs sorting some stuff out, my mother asks casually; "Do you think there's anything 'off' about this room?". I immediately reply in the affirmative, say that I'd later put it down to the pipes or chimney or something causing weird acoustics.
Turns out that my sister had apparently mentioned that she gets exactly the same oppressive feeling when staying in that room.
Mother then reveals that she also feels like she's being watched up there, and won't go up there at night any more because it's worse then. Apparently she's found herself automatically talking to what she thought was our dog or one of us moving in the next room, and then looked in and there's nothing there.
I can't stress enough that none of us have ever discussed this before, except in the sense of my mother knowing that I was getting freaked out after watching Alien all those years ago, but that was sensibly put down to me being an impressionable small child.
And looking back, I think that it had moderated my behaviour somewhat. I know that hindsight is a wonderfully fickle thing, but I can't ever remember playing with toys or reading or whatever for any appreciable length of time with my back to that accursed door to the boiler room.
That's obviously subjective, but what isn't is the fact that I've never laid out furniture in such a way that my back was to the door. In the decade which I lived there, I never had a desk that faced me away from the door, when briefly I had the bed facing away from it aged 10 there was a sudden resurgence in me getting freaked out at night (which stopped as soon as the bed was moved to somewhere on the other side of the room), I never had anything which would obstruct the view of it. I also never really spent much time up there as a child either. Admittedly that can partly be put down to the consoles and computer being downstairs, but I never even used to read or listen to music up there, always downstairs (and I hate reading around other people because it distracts me).

As above, I don't think that there's the slightest posibility that it's supernatural because the premise is absurd. My mother is inclined towards that view even as she says that it's absurd!

Personally my money is on it being, in order of lightlihood:
1. Infrasonic acoustics from the chimney which runs behind the boiler
2. Acoustics in the plumbing/sewerage pipes, which are ancient
3. Electric interference because the electrics up there are completely fucked
4. A claustrophobic reaction to the tiny, low ceilinged, artificially lit, boilerroom and bathroom

Still, it's weird.

Sleekit:
:s gunshots seem a bit of a freaky thing to be hearing.

what if we assume they are in fact claps of thunder...could secretly be Thor

Would be rather nice if that were so, then we could most certainly call it a religious experience..

OneCatch :

Nikolaz72:

Do you get an adrenaline kick when it happens? Like a jumpscare type reaction?
Because I seem to remember reading that that's the symptom of a harmless mental trait - kind of equivalent to dreaming of falling and then jolting awake, or Restless Leg Syndrome (not that I'd refer to it as a 'syndrome' really - that sounds far too serious for what it is). So that might be your mundane explanation. Fatigue usually factors into this kind of thing, so try getting to bed earlier!

No adrenaline, I might wake up at the first, but first notice the second. And while it scared me the first times (Which would give the same feeling, now they don't really suprise so (I don't get any kind of kick out of it)..

Considering my healthy sleep habits, fatigue from a lack of it makes that unlikely. But I might just sleep badly, or be mentally fatigued due to personal issues.

Again though, I'm not saying theres no logical explanation for what is happening. I'm actually damn sure there is.. I just don't know the explanation.

Nikolaz72:
No adrenaline, I might wake up at the first, but first notice the second. And while it scared me the first times (Which would give the same feeling, now they don't really suprise so (I don't get any kind of kick out of it)..

Considering my healthy sleep habits, fatigue from a lack of it makes that unlikely. But I might just sleep badly, or be mentally fatigued due to personal issues.

Again though, I'm not saying theres no logical explanation for what is happening. I'm actually damn sure there is.. I just don't know the explanation.

Well then I don't have a clue! Maybe it's Borrowers with tiny tiny muskets...

Have I seen some weird stuff? You bet I have.
I've seen small furry creatures running through a train, see-through worms sliding across the floor, a demon baby with an evil laugh sitting on my desk, people with dead eyes slowly approaching me when I turn off the light, spiderweb and trees reaching out to grab my limbs, tiny creatures swarming me while clawing my body, buildings leaning impossibly to one side looking like they might fall down upon my head any second, the floor being tens of meters away while I'm standing on it, dead bodies sitting against the wall, an army of police men appearing out of nowhere. And I've felt bugs crawling all over my body, biting me in hundreds of spots yet when I look, nothing is there.

Of course, there's a pretty good explanation for it, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. But many of my visual and tactile hallucinations have felt pretty damn real, it's not always easy to tell the difference between reality and hallucinations. But through therapy, I've become much better at identifying hallucinations, I've been taught to not blindly trust my senses, I've been taught to be skeptic and to use the rational part of me when needed.

... And here's the thing. Many of the symptoms of different mental illnesses already exist in a "healthy" mind, albeit to a lesser degree. Hallucinations, delusions, paranoia - all things a healthy mind might experience. But healthy people have never been taught to question their own senses, some believe them to infallible. So when they do experience an hallucination, they believe it to be real, never even considering the possibility that the mind might be playing a trick on them.
This is, in my opinion, the truth behind many "unexplainable" experiences people have had, such as seeing demons or ghosts...

Twice while laying in bed. I remember being awake but maybe I was only half awake.

The first time I felt the ground shake as if some one was walking in my room, like slight vibrations through the wood floor up through the bed. I could hear the foot steps. They went from the bedroom door all the way around bed to next to pillow. As the foot steps made there way around the room I thought one of the dogs must have got into my room. When it got to my head I could here the dog breathing, feel the breath on my neck. But I couldn't move. Or look at it. I was facing away from it the whole time.

The 2nd time was much the same except instead of just breathing on my neck it jump up onto my back, like with its front paws, while I lay in the bed. I could feel the pressure pushing down on me.

Both times when I finally was able to look and move again there was nothing in my room. And the door was shut properly.

And thanks a lot. I was just about to got to bed but now that I have thought about all this again I have made myself scared again lol

I suppose I have a couple that qualify. In my junior year of highschool, my drink during lunch was apparently spiked with LSD while I was using the bathroom. The next 8 hours were probably about as close to a supernatural experience I've ever had. Now, I don't know if that one really stands as I understand it now, but at the time I thought I was just going insane.

The other one is that on rare occasion, I'll have auditory hallucinations, almost always in the form of a ringing phone, or a child laughing. Can't really explain that one, though I suppose possible natural explanations could be something like inner ear malfunction, wires crossed in the brain, or late onset of schizophrenia. I doubt the last to be the case however, as I don't seem to exhibit other symptoms associated with it.

Sleekit:

The question is a bit vague.

Do you mean:

1. Did you have an experience which you couldn't explain at the time?

2. Did you have an experience which you can't explain now?

3. Did you have an experience which was unexplainable by anyone?

4. Did you have an experience which is unexplainable by anyone?

Danny Ocean:

Do you mean:

1. Did you have an experience which you couldn't explain at the time?

2. Did you have an experience which you can't explain now?

I don't think he was that vague. I think both those are valid. Although the second one more, as this is kind of meant to push the whole 'Unexplainable things happening to Atheists' thing, and if you can explain it, that takes a lot of the point away from it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked